Flex z damper help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flex z damper help

So im getting my tein flex z coils installed today and I have some questions about lowering and damper.

for lowering I adjust that after I installed the coils correct? and I wanna do 2in drop, do I measure in the coil and then lossen the nut up and do that?

and for dampering what do u recommend I have a couple that say 4 from stiff front and 6 from stiff rear, but I think im gonna install the rear back seat so idk what to do with takin the back seat in and out to adjust .
Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i would suggest measuring off the car, then install and if need be..FINE tune your height adjustments.
it will be a tough task turning the threads 5 or six inches. so, get the measurements correct when they are off the car...then you can adjust MILLIMETERS up or down and would be easier on the car.
and why not google or youtube the correct procedure on how to adjust on the car? it's usually by loosening the lock, then turning the whole shock unit left or right. if you gotta do this for inches, you'll be there for a long time.

2nd; damping is PERSONAL! each one of us, have different tolerances for stiffness.
the best practice is to drive on it FULL SOFT and see how it feels.
then drive on it FULL stiff to see how it feels and compare the two...,
then adjust to somewhere to your liking...

BASICALLY, there are no guidelines. you WILL have to spend your time, adjusting...this could take weeks. it could take Months.
it's ALL about YOU! and how often you want to fuck with your coilovers.

i've had my coilovers for at least three years now, I AM STILL CONSTANTLY ADJUSTING TO GET IT RIGHT TO MY PERSONAL LEVELS.
i bought new meaty tires, which called to raise the car up. then my passengers started to complain about how stiff my car was...so I turned the damping down.
I think my rear is a little too high, so i think I will lower the rear down a few millimeters.
it's never fucking ending. there's ALWAYS something to adjust.

so,just play with your settings till you find what YOU like...as that's the beauty of multi-adjustments. kinda like the sleep number bed.
there's a number with your name on it...you just have to find the right settings, FOR YOU

Last edited by justnspace; 03-25-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
also, different damping up front and out back do different things to your car's handling.
a stiffer rear will help the rear end swing out.
but i feel this is too advanced for you...

start with your personal settings first...make sure the fronts are the same stiffness across, and have the rears the same stiffness across
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced

alright thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Remember that height adjustments should only be done via the bottom bracket...not the spring perches.

And set your initial preload BEFORE putting them on the car.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Yeah i set them at 4 from stiff front and 6 from stiff back....when we took out one of the springs my friend who was installing loosened the wrong prenche and it was the preload one instead of the lowering one. We tightened back to what he thought was right i hope i didn't fuck up lol but the car drives fine. I drove on highway and bad roads. seemed good to me. Got an alignment too

Gotta lower front a little more
What u think?? Camber kit? Any advice