Do I need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected, it is the camber on the rear. Is there an adjustment?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by carwars
I stand corrected, it is the camber on the rear. Is there an adjustment?
There isn't any camber adjustment on an RL, and you won't need to adjust it unless you're at more than -1.5°. Even then, it's not an absolute. Post your alignment so we can see where you're at.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by shayan
So, I went and got my coilovers, EDFC, Comptech RSB, Greddy Bar installed on Friday and the shop guys told me to get a alignment done. (Thanks for all the parts Marcus) So, I got the alignment done yesturday and as they were doing the alignment, I was watching them from inside the waiting room. I saw them running around and they couldnt figure something out. They later came in and told me that they could not adjust the camber and that I had to get a camber kit. They qouted me a $1200 for parts and install; I began to be sad because I didnt want there to be a problem with my car and I knew that it would be a while till I got some money for the camber kit and get it installed. But as I came home and read this thread, It made me feel so much better.

So, I just wanted to say THANKS MARCUS I dont have to get camber kits and you hooked me up on the parts

I know this is old but my mechanic is saying the same thing that in order to align the car all the way I need a camber kit.. It also feels like my car didn't stay aligned long after the first align

Do u think the shop just sucks ?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
What your mechanic is saying is true. The car is almost out of alignment even in stock form. My TL was out of alignment in the rear even stock (by 0.1 degrees on one side). If you lower your car, the camber will be even further off. The only way to correct that is to buy a camber kit. It's only about $160 for a pair of SPC upper arms. If you don't want to do that, just try it without the camber kit. Worst case is you might just get a little uneven wear. Then you can consider the camber kit again.

Originally Posted by graynb
I know this is old but my mechanic is saying the same thing that in order to align the car all the way I need a camber kit.. It also feels like my car didn't stay aligned long after the first align

Do u think the shop just sucks ?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by robocam
If you lower your car, the camber will be even further off. The only way to correct that is to buy a camber kit.
The factory settings aren't exact on camber, there is an acceptable range. I lowered my car a bit and was still within this range, but once I lowered it fully I was out. The thing the camber kit really does for you is it allows you to make the right and left exact. After lowering the exact amount on both sides on my car, one rear was at -2.2°, and the other was -2.6°, and the camber kit corrected that.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Pro

Yes, the acceptable range for the rear of a 3rd gen TL is -0.5 to -1.5.

My stock 06 was at -1.6 on both rear sides, so any amount of lowering would have thrown it ever further out of spec.

Originally Posted by VisualEchos
The factory settings aren't exact on camber, there is an acceptable range. I lowered my car a bit and was still within this range, but once I lowered it fully I was out. The thing the camber kit really does for you is it allows you to make the right and left exact. After lowering the exact amount on both sides on my car, one rear was at -2.2°, and the other was -2.6°, and the camber kit corrected that.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Andrew

Yes, the acceptable range for the rear of a 3rd gen TL is -0.5 to -1.5.

My stock 06 was at -1.6 on both rear sides, so any amount of lowering would have thrown it ever further out of spec.
Yes, exactly, they're all a bit different from the factory.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Original post was very informative. I'll be ordering coilovers for my 3rd gen soon so I'm glad I stumbled across this. I'll definitely be adding an alignment to the to-do list!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
2005 TL SSM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Came across this post finally, thanks for the useful information HeelToe. Common sense sometimes leads you the wrong way. I've also read that the camber kits have sub par ball joints, which is another reason I have chosen not to get a kit. I have a 3G TL and am dropped about 1" front and 1.25" rear with BC coilovers and OEM 17" wheels. I went through a set of Michelin tires within a year, granted I drive about 20K miles per year. I aligned my car after the drop was done and kind of pulled a Ronco. I set it and forget it. My mistake! My tires were so worn on the insides and had to get another set of tires. Long story short, find a shop that works on lowered cars and get a ALIGNMENT maybe every 2 years.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM
5th Gear

I'm so glad reading all this info
Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Racer

for front camber, it is better to go with just adjustable ball joint or control arm?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM
5th Gear

Great info!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by quanTL
Thanks for great read.
I don't know much about alignments.
here is my situation.
I just got new falken 452s 235/45/17 on the oem rims.
Car is stock, no drop.
I went to a shop to get my alignment done.
I was told the camber on the right rear wheel was off and that it cannot be adjusted without the camber kit.
On my print out only the rear right is in the red.
Everything else is in the green.

Camber

Rear
Left - 1.3
Right - 2.0

Spec - Min = -1.5 Max = -0.5

Based on your sticky, camber is nothing to worry about.
However, in my case only the right rear is in the red.
Wouldn't it be unbalanced then?
Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

I am actually in a similar situation, my car is completely stock but when I went to Firestone to do a lifetime alignment, they told me my right rear was sagging a bit and told me I should get a camber kit to correct it. Any thoughts on this? I read through all the comments and sounds like it's a common problem for the rear right side to have this problem?

I also plan to get Tein Advanced Z to lower my car, wanted to make sure I get everything I need like possible camber kit to get it all done once.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM
5th Gear

Also, I plan to lower it at around 2.5" with 19" wheels if that helps!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Pro

If your tire wear isn't unusual, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do lower it, just get a couple of these, and you'll be fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYB0B6

Originally Posted by TonyWin
I am actually in a similar situation, my car is completely stock but when I went to Firestone to do a lifetime alignment, they told me my right rear was sagging a bit and told me I should get a camber kit to correct it. Any thoughts on this? I read through all the comments and sounds like it's a common problem for the rear right side to have this problem?

I also plan to get Tein Advanced Z to lower my car, wanted to make sure I get everything I need like possible camber kit to get it all done once.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
TonyWin (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 04:47 PM
5th Gear

Thanks
If your tire wear isn't unusual, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do lower it, just get a couple of these, and you'll be fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYB0B6

I appreciate the prompt response! I am getting unusual wear on that tire, I ended up rotating it in the mean time. Looks like the same camber kit I had on my Z and G when I owned them. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts

Thanks
Also, I plan to lower it at around 2.5" with 19" wheels if that helps!

Street Advances won't work well with a 2.5" drop. I'm not sure if anything will, without custom work. That is a massive drop.

You usually want aftermarket camber correction for a lowered TL. They all cause their own issues...but the type that adjusts via the upper control arm probably has the least downsides. Make sure you use the stock retaining nut. Seems like most manufacturers use incorrect hardware with their kits.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
I have found that the TSX, Accord, and TL have a bad habit of the rear upper control arm going bad. Causing abnormal wear on the tires in the back. I'd suggest getting some replacement upper control arms. I ran SPC on my TSX and I plan to run a pair of those on my TL as well.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 PM
5th Gear

Yea, I for sure plan to order some rear SPC camber kit. I'm being swayed into Flex Z now after talking to Marcus from heeltoe.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

Turns out Steet Avance Z doesn't even go that low for the TL, only for the Accord. Guess I got those numbers mixed up. I ended up ordering the Flex Z and about to install it sometime this week. Super excited!

Originally Posted by BROlando
Street Advances won't work well with a 2.5" drop. I'm not sure if anything will, without custom work. That is a massive drop.

You usually want aftermarket camber correction for a lowered TL. They all cause their own issues...but the type that adjusts via the upper control arm probably has the least downsides. Make sure you use the stock retaining nut. Seems like most manufacturers use incorrect hardware with their kits.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody know where I can buy the Ingalls rear camber & toe kit? Learned about it on HeelToe but both kits are listed as cataloged.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:30 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
I have found that the TSX, Accord, and TL have a bad habit of the rear upper control arm going bad. Causing abnormal wear on the tires in the back. I'd suggest getting some replacement upper control arms. I ran SPC on my TSX and I plan to run a pair of those on my TL as well.
what kind of wear? cupping on the inside?
Old 12-09-2022, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Koni Orange w/Eibach Springs on my 04 TL base

My stock front driverside strut took a crap at 120k miles and I ended up putting these babies on. The alignment shop told me the rear camber was a little more neg due to the drop but not by much (sorry I don't have the exact numbers off the top of my head). I've driven them over 20k miles and the wear on the rears weren't bad and I just rotated tires.

I haven't had a need to get a camber kit and all is good. The car is bouncier over stock but oh man there is a big difference in taking turns. Much more fun to drive in the turns. Don't waste your money on camber arms imo.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:09 PM
Project TL

Finally!!!

I bought a 06 Acura TL that had 20's on it... totally messed up the fenders, alignment, etc.. went to fitmentindustries and got myself some 18's and new tires. I do plan on getting an alignment but the suspension feels off... like there's no struts at all on the front. Needless to say I've been searching high and low for a coilover kit with a pillowtop camber adjustment plate. But after having read this I'll just go with one of the many set up's ive seen and then get the alignment. Much appreciated with this stickied information. Last thing anyone want to have to do is spend 1k plus on some coilovers then another 420$ on a front and rear camber kit. I came from Jeeps so this whole Honda/Acura world is so new to me. Just glad I found a forum that seems to have some pretty knowledgeable people on here.