BEST coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody have HT-Spec V2 Type 2? I'm highly considering going this route very soon.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM
5th Gear

meagan racing or tein ss
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Intermediate

ive installed megan racing coilovers on my friends tsx and it rides pretty nice... IF i went with coilovers. ill probably go with the tein SS'
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
OP said good quality

HT Spec are remarketted Function Forms. they are made in China and we know the quality of shit made there is

HT Spec = Function Forms = D2 = China
Well, 99% of the stuff in your house comes from China. Even the good stuff...this argument is BS, basically.

The Function/Forms are made in Taiwan. They are not made in the same factory as BC/D2/KSport/Megan etc. But all those are the same or similar enough to practically be.

We made the HTSpecs through Function/Form because we knew they were a stand-alone non-copycat private label rebrand product we could customize, and the customer service they offer is unparallelled.

Basically, you are wrong on this point.

Originally Posted by SSM4DR
Mr. Heeltoe says that the regular F&F is not the same as the HT-spec ones. Besides Peace of mind warranty plan you can get from them. 4yrs. or 4 replacements of extended coverage, no hassles, no downtime, no problem. Beat that...
They are the same build and quality but they are not tuned the same. You get the same warranty as Function/Form offers, but you also get the legendary Heeltoe customer service and support.

Originally Posted by 4play
for value... function and form = daily comfort, BC racing = performance
Eh....I would dispute that since I ripped off some pretty mean laps at Willow springs with my HTSpecs...they are a pretty awesome balance between daily use and performance. Don't be tossed off by the fact there are nice cars using the HTSpecs that are street cars...they can keep up pretty well.

All that being said, the OP asked for the BEST coilovers. Not the best value...not the best riding or performance. The best in general.

For quality you cannot beat Tein and H&R. The HTSpecs are great, but they are a less expensive product and similar to the other cheaper brands you do run into need for the warranty from time to time, which we are operating with 100% success at serving up.

For trouble-free long term enjoyment the best you are going to get is the Tein SS.

Moton...may be the best for the track, but I wouldn't use them on the street.
H&R...I have had some people with issues with these and replacement parts are pretty expensive.
KW...I really want to try these...I good things but, I don't believe it until I experience is. Sorry I cannot comment.

As disillusioned you might be with the perceived lack of variety with stuff for this car as compared to the S2000 you should know that the majority of items made available are pretty darn good for the specific intent.

If I were you, I'd go with the Tein SS, EDFC, Fastline tower brace combo with a progress rear sway bar.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
Grey Gonzalez (04-07-2013), rockyfeller (09-28-2016), TeamAcura (03-21-2013)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
are there different types of megans? and if so which is best for the tl?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
only 1 type for the TL, Part #:MR-CDK-ATL03
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard great things about BUDDY CLUB suspension, bigger diameter shock pistons and reasonably priced. The customer service is pretty good as well. They take time to make sure you are taken care of.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i been doing research as well and many finger point to tein but i heard FF to be a good option to keep ur wallet fat kus their customer service is good they replace ur nrolen or messed up coilover no questions asked
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
"Best" is subjective but we've found the best coilovers for the 3G TL to be the XLR8 ISC coilovers and the TEIN coilovers.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
blah!

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Best is very subjective. Depends what you are looking for.

In terms of quality. I don't think any of our options are really HIGH QUALITY. They are all decent. If anything the KWs have the highest build quality.

From a lowering your car perspective. Just get what you want. They all work. Get the one with a good warranty and customer service.

From a performance standpoint. Out of all the available coilovers I believe the ISC N1s are the only ones that are rebound adjustable only (if that is true). That gives the ISCs a big +1. Having the ability to choose whichever spring rate you want is not a bad deal either.

I haven't tried myself but if its true that accord coilovers fit I believe Fortune Auto makes some coilovers for the Accord that could fit in the TL.

If that is the case I can firmly say the Fortune Auto 510s are the best coilovers for the 3G TL for track application (without going custom)

I am running BC Racing right now. When they go out or wear down I might get either ISC N1s or ball out and get Fortune 500s or 510s.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

Went with Tein Street Advance, amazing coilovers. Rides just like stock (actually a little bit softer than stock in fact on it's middle stiffness) and quality is great. I had BC coilovers for a bit but were too stiff. Still miss my zeals though
The following users liked this post:
OculiAquilae (02-22-2016)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
^^^Zeal makes coils for 3g?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hacura
^^^Zeal makes coils for 3g?
No, i had them on my S2000 and they were some of the best coilovers I've had. I wish they made them for the 3g, i would definitely get them.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm on GroundControl/Koni yellows. I wish i had of got something better. i experience loud bangs sometimes from i guess hitting the bump stop. Its not stiff enough even on the stiffest setting. Little bit unhappy w/ them. Mind you i'm almost slammed!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i'm slightly disappointed that progress and fortune dont make coilovers for our cars. but i totally understand the reason.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Ground control w Koni yellows and i'm pissed off i didnt know about Zeal at the time!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The "Best" coilovers are free coilovers.....

But that's not gonna happen.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:45 PM
2006 Acura TL AT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Well, 99% of the stuff in your house comes from China. Even the good stuff...this argument is BS, basically.

The Function/Forms are made in Taiwan. They are not made in the same factory as BC/D2/KSport/Megan etc. But all those are the same or similar enough to practically be.

We made the HTSpecs through Function/Form because we knew they were a stand-alone non-copycat private label rebrand product we could customize, and the customer service they offer is unparallelled.

Basically, you are wrong on this point.

They are the same build and quality but they are not tuned the same. You get the same warranty as Function/Form offers, but you also get the legendary Heeltoe customer service and support.

Eh....I would dispute that since I ripped off some pretty mean laps at Willow springs with my HTSpecs...they are a pretty awesome balance between daily use and performance. Don't be tossed off by the fact there are nice cars using the HTSpecs that are street cars...they can keep up pretty well.

All that being said, the OP asked for the BEST coilovers. Not the best value...not the best riding or performance. The best in general.

For quality you cannot beat Tein and H&R. The HTSpecs are great, but they are a less expensive product and similar to the other cheaper brands you do run into need for the warranty from time to time, which we are operating with 100% success at serving up.

For trouble-free long term enjoyment the best you are going to get is the Tein SS.

Moton...may be the best for the track, but I wouldn't use them on the street.
H&R...I have had some people with issues with these and replacement parts are pretty expensive.
KW...I really want to try these...I good things but, I don't believe it until I experience is. Sorry I cannot comment.

As disillusioned you might be with the perceived lack of variety with stuff for this car as compared to the S2000 you should know that the majority of items made available are pretty darn good for the specific intent.

If I were you, I'd go with the Tein SS, EDFC, Fastline tower brace combo with a progress rear sway bar.
Awesome post..I'm looking to lower my 2006 Acura tl. Just for aesthetic purposes. I have 80k on odometer. I'm looking for best VALUE coilovers. What do you recommend?
Also you mentioned upgrading away bar, does anything else need to be upgraded?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

For lowering, maybe 2-3" down, with a good ride, decent life, and good features for the money, I would stick with BC Racing. For lowering in the 1.5-2.25" range I would do Tein Street Basis or Street Advance.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced

For lowering, maybe 2-3" down, with a good ride, decent life, and good features for the money, I would stick with BC Racing. For lowering in the 1.5-2.25" range I would do Tein Street Basis or Street Advance.
I am torn with this, as I want to lower about 1-1.5". I had TEIN Type Super Streets on my old Civic for 60k miles. They were amazing, and even though I blew out my rears eventually, I sent them in to get rebuilt.

I was originally looking at XLR8's ICS with the street/sport springs, but I keep coming back to the TEINs. My only hang ups are the spring rates and what am I getting for the $300 more in the XLR8?

What do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by LogicWavelength
I am torn with this, as I want to lower about 1-1.5". I had TEIN Type Super Streets on my old Civic for 60k miles. They were amazing, and even though I blew out my rears eventually, I sent them in to get rebuilt.

I was originally looking at XLR8's ICS with the street/sport springs, but I keep coming back to the TEINs. My only hang ups are the spring rates and what am I getting for the $300 more in the XLR8?

What do you guys think?
my super streets are getting near the end i think mileage wise. how did you know your rear blew? was it leaking pretty bad?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
my super streets are getting near the end i think mileage wise. how did you know your rear blew? was it leaking pretty bad?
They were leaking/wet when I put the car up on a lift once. I had a really ehavy subwoofer box and my car was slammed 3.5"F/2.75"R. I literally couldn't feel a difference it still drove great.

That's why I'm leaning towards TEIN. I know they are good.
sockr1 (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Tein SA Lowered -1.5" F&R.
No camber kit needed.
Progress 24mm RSB
Old 04-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Tein SA Lowered -1.5" F&R.
No camber kit needed.
Progress 24mm RSB
This would be my setup Either that or our XLR8 ISCs. Both are great choices. I'd have trouble making my mind up as well.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LogicWavelength

What do you guys think?
I think getting wrapped up in a spring rate discussion is a bit of a fail. The springs will have a hand in the firmness over some bumps, but the springs effectively just hold the car up. A firmer spring will put up with more aggressive driving as load transfers from side to side, front and back. But going a tick or two firmer on springs on cars that weigh this much won't impact ride a lot.

You want to be a little more focused in on the dampers themselves. H&R gets high marks for use of Bilstein tubes, but honestly they have not been the most reliable for my customers.

KW is probably about the best you can do but the price range is not for everyone.

Tein is seriously hard to beat. The kits are tuned to be good from a functional standpoint. Tein offers different levels of kits to compliment varied use.

ISC I think are a fine part just the way that BC and Megan are. I think the main benefits are some features like upper mounts and more lowering ability. But now that the Tein Street FLEX is out, I think there is going to be a very good case for getting these. They are the most value-per-dollar part I think you will find today (mind your post dates, folks!).

Upper mounts
Full-length adjustment
Tuned for street and sport use
Tein reliability
EDFC compatible if you want it
Aggressive price point

Last edited by MrHeeltoe; 01-05-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
BC's brotha. Can't go wrong.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know which coilovers will give you the closest factory comfort ? I have 06 base and it drives very smooth over bumps. Especially here in NYC. Want to drop car a little not too much but I'm not sure which set to go with. Anyone here drives in NYC or somewhere the streets are similar?
Old 04-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

I think getting wrapped up in a spring rate discussion is a bit of a fail. The springs will have a hand in the firmness over some bumps, but the springs effectively just hold the car up. A firmer spring will put up with more aggressive driving as load transfers from side to side, front and back. But going a tick or two firmer on springs on cars that weigh this much won't impact ride a lot.

You want to be a little more focused in on the dampers themselves. H&R gets high marks for use of Bilstein tubes, but honestly they have not been the most reliable for my customers.

KW is probably about the best you can do but the price range is not for everyone.

Tein is seriously hard to beat. The kits are tuned to be good from a functional standpoint. Tein offers different levels of kits to compliment varied use.

ISC I think are a fine part just the way that BC and Megan are. I think the main benefits are some features like upper mounts and more lowering ability. But now that the Tein Street FLEX is out, I think there is going to be a very good case for getting these. They are the most value-per-dollar part I think you will find today (mind your post dates, folks!).

Upper mounts
Full-length adjustment
Tuned for street and sport use
Tein reliability
EDFC compatible if you want it
Aggressive price point

street flex are out of stock atm..

I'm looking for about 2" lower, better handling, while not losing all of the luxury. suggestions?

..also I'm not rich so under $2k

'08 type-s
Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
flex are out of stock?? really?

you can go with Tein street advance
Old 08-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend of mine had a set of D2 racing coilovers on his 350Z on 19s with 30 series tires he was pretty slammed aggressively, and from what I remembered it used to drive like the road was made out of butter and the tires were a hot knife. He also had cheap chinese tires that were stretched too and the combination felt great with the D2 coilovers. I want to get d2s but now I'm seeing Megan's are good and teins are having good reviews the only thing I don't like about teins is the color green lol, but whatever that's my opinion
Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
^ whats it matter if theyre green or pink. you dont even see them
rockyfeller (09-28-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ I'm picky. I like to pay attention to details
Old 04-07-2022, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycmedic
Does anyone know which coilovers will give you the closest factory comfort ? I have 06 base and it drives very smooth over bumps. Especially here in NYC. Want to drop car a little not too much but I'm not sure which set to go with. Anyone here drives in NYC or somewhere the streets are similar?
im in tha same boat as you can never get a good review