Trunk light issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Trunk light issue

I recently repaired two broken wires that did not allow my trunk to open. Ever since then, my trunk light does not work, and the trunk open doesn't show up on the dash. I replaced the trunk latch assembly with a spare I had, but the issue persists. I was wondering if the problem may be the small fuse that is attached to the trunk wiring harness that plugs into the latch. I attached two pictures of this fuse in the post. Does anyone know if there is a part number for this fuse? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk light issue-fuse-1.jpg   Trunk light issue-fuse-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I actually just fixed this yesterday. On the latch, toward the left hand side is a little white module with a switch. When the latch is in the "open" positon, it pushes down on a lever which pushes a button on this little white part. It's hard to see in the pic where the lever is, but I've tried to zoom in to where you should focus on.

Whole latch
Light button module
You can't buy this unit alone, so I just bought a used whole latch set for $10, and took off the top part and replaced that back to my original latch portion. For some reason trying to use a different latch was resulting in the trunk being sticky on openings. If the button on that module (on the bottom part of it) is pushed down, then that will let the MIDI know that the trunk is open, and will also turn on the light.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Just ground the power wire and the door ajar light should turn on. If not then it's not a latch problem. It might just be a blown bulb.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Instructor

I tried pushing the white button manually on both of the latches I have and nothing happened. Also, if the bulb where blown, wouldn't I still see the trunk open indicator on the dash?

Last edited by RjG2; 12-05-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:53 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Ground the blue wire. The open trunk lamp should come on. If not then your problem is elsewhere.

If the trunk open indicator bulb is defective then indicator can't light up.

Bring your fuse to the dealer to match it.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is another possible cause. I was having trouble with my trunk light (and indicator on dash) going out when the trunk was opened more than half way. My alarm would also go off when I was in the trunk while my doors were locked. It wasn't until my left tail light, LR side marker light, left backup light, and both license plate lights went out that I discovered this forum. I found (in some old threads) a fairly common problem in the wiring harness behind the panels on the left side of the trunk. If you want to check it out, follow the wiring harness down the left arm/hinge of the trunk and over to the chassis wall. Here you will find a white zip tie where the wiring makes a right turn. Every time the trunk is opened and closed it stresses the wiring harness here. Pull out the zip tie and open up the harness. I had 6 wires broken cleanly at the same location (see pics). I put connectors on them but still had a problem. After wiggling the wires some more while my lights were on, I discovered a 7th wire was broken inside the insulation. Once I got that one fixed I was good to go. The worst part of the job may have been removing all the panels so you can get in there and work!

Old 12-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevenator56
Here is another possible cause. I was having trouble with my trunk light (and indicator on dash) going out when the trunk was opened more than half way. My alarm would also go off when I was in the trunk while my doors were locked. It wasn't until my left tail light, LR side marker light, left backup light, and both license plate lights went out that I discovered this forum. I found (in some old threads) a fairly common problem in the wiring harness behind the panels on the left side of the trunk. If you want to check it out, follow the wiring harness down the left arm/hinge of the trunk and over to the chassis wall. Here you will find a white zip tie where the wiring makes a right turn. Every time the trunk is opened and closed it stresses the wiring harness here. Pull out the zip tie and open up the harness. I had 6 wires broken cleanly at the same location (see pics). I put connectors on them but still had a problem. After wiggling the wires some more while my lights were on, I discovered a 7th wire was broken inside the insulation. Once I got that one fixed I was good to go. The worst part of the job may have been removing all the panels so you can get in there and work!

This is precisely where I found the severed wires that did not allow my trunk to open. There where only two severed wires. One going to the latch and one going to one of the license plate lights. I guess I will open the loom up again when I have some time to see if theres any other breaks.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Instructor

By the way, does anyone here know what that small fuse does.? (the one in the pics I posted)