Tensioner Pulley Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tensioner Pulley Clicking Sound

Hi, new here and it is the first time I had to do my own repairs on my 08 TL. My old tensioner pulley was shot and my serpentine belt broke while I was driving. I bought a whole new tensioner/idler set up from Acura and changed it myself as well as a new serpentine belt. Everything works great, but I'm getting this clicking sound while idling. I can see that my tensioner "clicks" back and forth (front of the car to the back of the car) and it makes a clicking sound every time it does it. I checked my friend's TL and his does not do this. His tensioner does not "click" and stays in place. I was wondering how I would fix this problem. The car works fine as I have driven it already.

I am also worried this is affecting my alternator, since 2-3 weeks after I changed the tensioner/idler and serpentine belt, my battery has been slowly discharging. I don't know if it is correlated, or just bad timing with things breaking down and me needing a new alternator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Could you post a video of what's happening? Either the pulley is DOA, or maybe it's not bolted down tight enough? This would be really hard to miss but you didn't miss any area where the belt is supposed to go right?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

I'll try and post a video tomorrow after I get off work.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:44 AM
Honda / Acura Fanboy

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
would it happen to sound like this ? and if not does anyone know what this sound is.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

It does sound like that RemixDg. Or at least it did. Just turned on my car today and tried taking a vid. The clicking sound is now gone and my tensioner isn't "clicking" back and forth anymore. Everything is running smooth now, maybe I just had to break in the new belt.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
does it cause the sound all the time?