Question about my clutch and CPO cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Question about my clutch and CPO cars...

I posted this in another thread but thought it would get more exposure as a seperate topic.

I just bought my car CPO about a month ago. My clutch shudders when I don't rev-match. I need the 3rd gear TSB done so I'll have them take a look at it.

My question...isn't this something that should have been noticed during certification? I realize they could have easily overlooked it, heck, the probably didn't even drive it. They replace other wear items at this time so wouldn't the clutch fall under that as well?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
get out your paper work and read what the CPO covers.

you mentioned they replaced other wear items...the clutch is worn usually by DRIVER error.
tires are not worn by DRIVER error.
brakes are not worn by DRIVER error.
and so on.

Another case of DRIVER error would be if you float the valves by mis-shifting, accidentally downshifting into 2nd instead of 4th. Serious Engine DAMAGE!

Also, you should be at least rev-matching when downshifting....there are a bunch of threads that addressed this issue TODAY. and I'm sure you've read them, since you posted in them.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-03-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
get out your paper work and read what the CPO covers.

you mentioned they replaced other wear items...the clutch is worn usually by DRIVER error.
tires are not worn by DRIVER error.
brakes are not worn by DRIVER error.
and so on.

Another case of DRIVER error would be if you float the valves by mis-shifting, accidentally downshifting into 2nd instead of 4th. Serious Engine DAMAGE!

Also, you should be at least rev-matching when downshifting....there are a bunch of threads that addressed this issue TODAY. and I'm sure you've read them, since you posted in them.

I realize any clutch issues at this stage would be due to driver error. However, for instance, if the clutch was slipping badly at the time of certification, they would have replaced it before selling it CPO. So, I'm curious if the same steps should have been taken for a shuddering clutch.

I am well aware of how to properly drive a manual transmission. I originally noticed the issue on upshifts but it was sporadic, due to me getting used to the new car. I was trying to think of a way of recreating the issue to show the dealer. Downshifting without rev-matching reliably demonstrates the problem.

I'll check the paperwork tonight when I get home. Fortunately, in my case, the 3rd gear synchro needs to be fixed. If they won't cover it, I'll bitch about it a bit and have them throw a new one in then.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith in the certification process.

My car was sold as CPO and had a few modifications. I asked the salesman multiple times if the mods would void any warranties and he swore up and down that it wouldn't. So I asked them to give me official correspondence stating this. Went to take delivery of the car and asked for the letter. All of a sudden, the manager is on vacation and will be back in a few days but salesman claims to have seen the draft. Waited a few more days and decided to call ACS. ACS made them remove the mods. May have been dumb in some eyes but I think my powertrain warranty is worth much more than the mods.

Also when I got the car, I only got 1 master key and 1 key fob. Salesman again said that's all I get because it's a used car. Decided to look over the CPO checklist and it's actually on there showing that I get two masters, two fobs, and a valet.

May have just been the salesman but the "tech" that certified and signed the paperwork would/should have caught these things.

BTW, they'll probably deny anything is wrong with the 3rd gear and it goes into gear smoothly. Just warning you for the spike in blood pressure you'll experience.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a CPO TL 6-speed a few years ago and while the extra warranty is great, I think the actual "inspection" in my case was a joke. Even though it's a stick shift, they checked off on all the items referring to an automatic transmission and left the manual transmission boxes blank. They did a 100+ some point inspection and didn't even know what transmission was in the car!! When I pointed this out to the owner of the dealer (and Acura direct) they were very nice and did everything I asked, including new front brake pads, change brake fluid, new floor mats, new wiper blades, and the second remote. The dealer near my house then changed the transmission fluid and center armrest under the CPO warranty. I still feel the inspection was a joke, but the dealers have been very helpful. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Based on the amount of cars I looked at, CPO vs non-CPO, most of the CPO's were a joke. Some of the cars were abused and had sloppily repainted body panels. Makes me wonder if they even look at the car prior to "certification".