05 Acura TL with water in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Acura TL with water in the trunk

Hello - I have an 05 Acura TL and have noticed that water builds up in my trunk after a rain storm. My car came with an all weather mat for the trunk and that just holds all the water in place. It is annoying since it makes everything in my trunk wet and it smells for days after it rains. Any ideas on what I can check to see where this leak is coming from?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Have you checked the weather stripping around the trunk and trunk lid?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Have you checked the weather stripping around the trunk and trunk lid?
Weather stripping looks good. I know a lot of water is coming in if I open the trunk after a rain storm because it sits in the small gutter around the rim of the trunk. I read a lot about sunroof drains, are those anywhere near the trunk in the TL?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The sun roof drains come down the "A" and "C" pillars. Shouldn't get into the trunk area. They actually empty out in front of the tires. Do you have a trunk spoiler? If so, it may be leaking through there.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
The sun roof drains come down the "A" and "C" pillars. Shouldn't get into the trunk area. They actually empty out in front of the tires. Do you have a trunk spoiler? If so, it may be leaking through there.
Good - one less thing to worry about! nope no trunk spoiler.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Follow the red arrows. The red arrows point to the sunroof drain tubes.

At the end of each tube in the trunk, there is a rubber gourment. Problem is that a leaf or such can easily flow thru the drain, thru the tube, and clog this small opening. It is easy to pull this gourment out, inspect it, and put it back in place.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

At the end of each tube in the trunk, there is a rubber gourment. Problem is that a leaf or such can easily flow thru the drain, thru the tube, and clog this small opening. It is easy to pull this gourment out, inspect it, and put it back in place.

This is awesome and exactly what I was looking to inspect. Thank you for the pictures and the detail with the arrows. I am assuming the trunk liner just comes up by removing the plastic clamps inside?

Thank you!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this problem ever resolved? Sadly I'm having the same exact problem. The water pretty much only shows on the drivers side area of the trunk and then in the wheel well. I've stripped the interior already but haven't been able to find the exact area the water is leaking from. A lot of what I've read says it could be the taillight is that true?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSheets
Was this problem ever resolved? Sadly I'm having the same exact problem. The water pretty much only shows on the drivers side area of the trunk and then in the wheel well. I've stripped the interior already but haven't been able to find the exact area the water is leaking from. A lot of what I've read says it could be the taillight is that true?
It's strange, it only happened to me a few times and after I mentioned it here I haven't had it happen again. I went through a carwash too without any issues. It is raining pretty hard today though so that will be a good test.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Mine hasn't happened until recently, at least that I know of. I'm really hoping its just a simple gasket issue. Can't afford to be fixing a lot of stuff.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had water in the trunk right after I bought my 06 TL back in April. I took it back to the dealer and they found a bolt without gasket/washer under the mini spoiler. I haven't seen water in the trunk since.
But if it ever appears again I'll know where to look. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunk leak stumped

I've been having the same issue. Drainage tubes are good. Seals look good. Spoiler nuts are tight. But the carpet on my trunk lid seem to be the dampest. I took the cover off and it had alot of condensation. I snapped a couple pics. Can someone tell me what that box is in the middle of my trunk lid that seems to be rusted and quite wet.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure about the box/bracket in your pic.

Some suggestions tho
If you park sort of uphill angle , water can "crawl" over that trunklid weatherstrip if it isn't meeting tightly to the trunk..
Water will puddle up in that trough below back glass until its deep enough (full) to start draining out the back of car (rear body panel alongside tail lights).

Water can also run under that leading edge of trunklid , and slip over the weatherstrip if its not tightly sealed against trunklid.
Water is almost like electricity in finding a path , once it finds or creates a path .... it goes there steadily.

In those instances , usually you can pull the weatherstrip UP off its rail that it attatches to , and push it back onto the rail , but not completely down as far as it wants to go to bottom out ....
only about 80- 90%
Talking about the section that runs parallel with the back glass / rear windshield.

Tail light gaskets can be another culprit for leaks in trunk.

Lay some paper in the trunk throughout .... and then check for wet spots after hosing the car real good.
Probably need to remove all side panel trim and lower covering from trunk before paper test ... to see what's doing what .... and where.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Isn't that block just one of the weight blocks used to change/modify the resonance/harmonics of the deck lid? In the TL diet thread there are gobs of these throughout the car. Not actually sure if it just gives a better feel to the trunk when it closes, or if it is related to resonance....but unlikely to be actually required.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an issue with water in my trunk and it turned out that the rear window was not sealed properly. There was a small gap at the bottom center of the rear window that let water in. I took it to a window shop and at first they said it all looked good. I took it to a friend who has a body shop and he sent me back to the window shop, saying he was pretty sure it was the window. They took out the window and found a gap in the sealant and repaired it. Cost $100.00 and all has been good since. My car was in a rear quarter panel accident before I bought it. I suspect when they did the repairs, they removed the rear window and then installed it incorrectly.

Not sure if this is your problem. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 PM
9th Gear

I had this same issue, but none of the above were the problem.

I found a body seam with a leak that could really not be seen. There was a very slight crack in the factory caulk (?) so I scraped most of it off. Even like this an obvious opening could not be seen, but pouring water on it caused water to seep in.

I re-caulked it using some polyurethane caulk that I had, hoping that this will work long term...
Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

can you repost the photos of the sunroof drain tubes? i want to check this out first before i try what another thread suggested.. lock myself in trunk and let my wife spray water all over car.. may end up being a cool life insurance payout
Old 03-02-2022, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Same

I'm having the same problem
been over a year since i got the car but it was in a rear end accident and the quarter panel inside seems rusty already too but i think it it's the seal