Help TPMS system error message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Help TPMS system error message

I searched the forum and found one person that had tpms system error, but mine is a bit different https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=TPMS.

Today, I got my Hankook W409 winter tires with steel rims on my 06 TL. On the MID is says that the tires have 400 KPA? What the heck is KPA? When I had the stock rims on it says PSI. So, 20mins into the driving I would get a tpms system error message, and when I push "select" the tire pressure will be blank for all four tires. Do you think the person forgot to put the tpms sensor on the steel rims?

I will take pictures of the MID whenever the message comes on, and also the stem of the steel rim tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by optical24
I searched the forum and found one person that had tpms system error, but mine is a bit different https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=TPMS.

Today, I got my Hankook W409 winter tires with steel rims on my 06 TL. On the MID is says that the tires have 400 KPA? What the heck is KPA? When I had the stock rims on it says PSI. So, 20mins into the driving I would get a tpms system error message, and when I push "select" the tire pressure will be blank for all four tires. Do you think the person forgot to put the tpms sensor on the steel rims?

I will take pictures of the MID whenever the message comes on, and also the stem of the steel rim tomorrow.

Sounds like it.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Do I have to buy new tpms sensor, or can I take them from the stock rim?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by optical24
Do I have to buy new tpms sensor, or can I take them from the stock rim?
this is a decision for you to decide.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
KPA is the Canuck meteric version of PSI. Unless you asked for the TPMS monitors to be installed on the steel rims I bet they didn't. It would clearly show on your invoice as an adder. If they didn't no biggie ... saved yourself a few $$$$$. I don't run them in my summers and you get 1 notification per trip that there is an error.. just acknowledge it and it will give you a very small TPMS light in the speedo. If the light bothers you put piece of electrical tape over the area. Mine never bothers me..
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
To add them your prolly looking at $200 for the sensors + labour to install + rebalance ... Hell leave them out.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Holy crap.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get same message but with VSA lit up on my dash as well. Could the TPMS error be triggering the VSA Off indicator /!\? So weird. Mind you my pops drove it back from TX and nothing was lit up until he got back to town.... haha.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the tire pressure monitoring sensors ever just freeze? I had to park in the snow two days ago during the rare Georgia snowstorm (<2") and when I started the car two hours later I got the "Check TPMS System" warning for the first time since I bought the car new in 2008. It hasn't gone off since. Is the system shot or do I just need to wait until the temps warm up to the mid-50's tomorrow?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I am getting the "TPMS System Error" message all of a sudden myself. I didn't change any tires or anything. I bought it used in August and it's worked perfectly fine until now. Will the MID tell me the specific tire pressure? I never saw that feature before, I always thought it just said if it was "ok" or not. I drive an 06.

Last edited by DUHockey9; 01-02-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by selrodGT
Do the tire pressure monitoring sensors ever just freeze? I had to park in the snow two days ago during the rare Georgia snowstorm (<2") and when I started the car two hours later I got the "Check TPMS System" warning for the first time since I bought the car new in 2008. It hasn't gone off since. Is the system shot or do I just need to wait until the temps warm up to the mid-50's tomorrow?
What are the pressures in the tires? You might need to add air. Cold temps cause tires to lose pressure.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DUHockey9
I am getting the "TPMS System Error" message all of a sudden myself. I didn't change any tires or anything. I bought it used in August and it's worked perfectly fine until now. Will the MID tell me the specific tire pressure? I never saw that feature before, I always thought it just said if it was "ok" or not. I drive an 06.
Yes, it shows individial tire pressure, that is the entire purpose of the system. On the TPMS, push the select button, and it will show all 4.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradE
Yes, it shows individial tire pressure, that is the entire purpose of the system. On the TPMS, push the select button, and it will show all 4.
Interesting. I don't know how I never noticed that before. I'll have to see what it says my tire pressure is. This error is really annoying. I don't understand why it started all of a sudden, I haven't changed a thing.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Instructor

So when I start the car, 3 of the 4 tires are showing their correct psi, but one is showing 58 psi. Is it safe to assume one of my sensors went bad and that is why it's throwing the TPMS System Error?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BradE
What are the pressures in the tires? You might need to add air. Cold temps cause tires to lose pressure.

"Check TPMS System" is different from your typical low air pressure warning, which has happened to me when the temps dropped. The monitor was showing 0psi in all tires, which obviously was not the case. I reset the computer and was fortunately back to normal. I've been driving in snow all week and have not had another problem.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by DUHockey9
So when I start the car, 3 of the 4 tires are showing their correct psi, but one is showing 58 psi. Is it safe to assume one of my sensors went bad and that is why it's throwing the TPMS System Error?
For what it's worth, 58psi seems to be the high limit. Mine will show 58psi for a couple seconds after startup sometimes.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Got the same thing yesterday. but then was driven this morning, and now the error is gone.. came out of nowhere..
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
For what it's worth, 58psi seems to be the high limit. Mine will show 58psi for a couple seconds after startup sometimes.
From what I have read, and experienced, 58 PSI is the display the first time you fire up the car with the new sensors around the car and pressurized...

Installed 4 used, and all 4 displays were 58. Cool, I thought. What they then do is read the pressure (I did check mine and confirmed they were not at 50...)

Well, here is my problem - after a number of miles (much longer than the typical few miles) my system shows an error - all 4 are not reading anything and the system is telling me there is a fault.

Does anyone know of a way to do a hard reset?

Can the car be thinking/looking for the other ones?

Maybe I'll pull the power and reset the whole car?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I would like an answer to what racerock asked as well. Yesterday the TPMS error suddenly appeared and isn't showing anything for the PSI readings, just the "--" for every wheel. I hope this isn't a difficult fix, I've dealt with enough car related troubles this winter already.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
58 is a default reading. you can air 59psi plus but system will only display 58.
three things are quite common for tpms failures
1- extreme cold weather(this drains the sensors battery life)
2- fix a flat or moisture was introduced into the wheel. a leaking air hose is a common way to introduce water/moisture into wheel
3- interference of tpms systems by other electrical components inside vehicle. ive witnessed a garage door opener causing intermittent signal loss(--) or the typical 58 reading.

...please note although in some cases it is not required to do a sensor id relearn on new sensors, it is a pretty good idea to do so regardless of new and especially used sensors. ive installed one new sensor on my friends tl, drove it around the parking lot and it started reading fine. ive also installed one tsx sensor, drove it around the parking lot with no acurate display only the (--) icon.
i dont think there is another way to relearn the sensors id than using the hds. you can try discount tire, since ive heard them advertise they can replace the tpms sensors(which tells me they can relearn or reinitialize tpms system depending on make)
hope this helps
oh and if you do decide to head to the dealer, they shouldnt charge you the typical hour check out. i for one do believe its pretty high for just sensor relearn.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Pro

The weather hasn't fluctuated wildly lately so I don't thing temperatures could have affected mine. It has been around -20 for quite some time now.
If moisture was introduced to only 1 wheel, would that throw the error and not giving a reading out for all four tires, only the "---"? Is there a way to check myself to see if moisture entered any wheels?
I've been using the homelink for my garage without any problems for months now so could that even be a cause of concern?

The roads here are terrible after several freeze/thaw cycles. This has lead to nasty potholes everywhere. Is it possible for the TPMS to damaged from running over a pothole? It's not like I go driving in pursuit of potholes but sometimes you just can't avoid them safely.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
eg5
user title goes here

if it is -20 degrees yes that constitutes extreme weather, doesnt have to fluctuate.
homelink does not interfere with these signals, only outside garage door openers.
water in wheel can only be detected by tire/wheel removal.
ive seen water on the left rear tire that caused the right rear tire to read (--) keep in mind the tech kept replaceing the right rear tpms sensor until i came and dsmounted all tires to find water in the left rear. TRUE STORY.
hope this helps
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Pro

So when the weather warms up and the reason for the error code has been the temperature, the TPMS should correct itself?

My parents use the garage door openers but I find it strange how my TPMS would start acting up now after so many months. What is the solution to the signal interference?

I've been doing a visual check everyday before I drive to make sure none of my tires are flat before I drive. If the problem persists, it looks like I'll just have to deal with it until I get my winter tires swapped. At that time I'll be able to check to see if any moisture has entered any of the 4 tires. I hope my sensors didn't go bad. I already have to buy a set of 4 to mount onto a set of stock wheels for next winter. I wouldn't want to buy 2 new sets of TPMS.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check TPMS Light just came on

Yesterday randomly my "check tpms sensor" light came on, right before it came on I noticed that the rear left tire had a tire pressure of 58psi, I checked it manually and the pressure was at 34psi so I left it alone to see if it would reset, the next day light came on. I didn't replace the tire nor I did anything. The temperature here is in the 50s-70s F. So do I replace the whole sensor? sensor rubber seals? batteries?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh and if it is the sensor where can I buy it for a reasonable price?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Instructor

When my car got the "Check TPMS System" error and was showing 58psi for my one tire (see my earlier posts) i took it to the dealer and it was indeed a bad sensor. So they replaced it for $70. I don't know if that's a competitive price but I didn't think it was too horrendous.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM
eg5
user title goes here

once the battery level has plumeted, i am almost certain it wont regain enough voltage to operate properly. meaning the battery level is not charged.because its not designed to recharge itself like a cars battery.
upon removal of your winter tires, water will be inside the tire. signs of moisture will be in the sensor.
solution to signal interference is removal of the cause or change frequency(if applicable). that one customer was not aware of the homelink function, once garage remote was programed to the homelink, garage door opener was removed from vehicle, the problem was solved. perhaps internal failure of the garage door opener?, i don't know.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by selrodGT
"Check TPMS System" is different from your typical low air pressure warning, which has happened to me when the temps dropped. The monitor was showing 0psi in all tires, which obviously was not the case. I reset the computer and was fortunately back to normal. I've been driving in snow all week and have not had another problem.
How did you reset?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eg5
sensor id relearn
how do you do a sensor id relearn?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Hey everyone new here, but. Need some help and clarification. Have an 06 tl replaced all 4 tires and all 4 sensors, had this done by a tire shop didn't do it myself, left the shop and system read tpms check OK, then a few miles down the road I hit button and checked tire pressure and all read 58psi, then a few miles later the system check light came on and 3 of the 4 were reading 58psi and one was reading 32psi, then they all switched to --psi. I have read so many possibilities here and I just don't know where to begin, can someone dumb this down for me as to the order of steps I should take to try and fix this issue. Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 06 TL as well... i have had the same issue for 3 years. i replaced all the sensors and the vehicle consistantly shows errors on the spedo since i bought the car. idk what else to do. either the person who installed them didntknow what they were doing or maybe i didnt get all of them replaced but it is annoying having to clear out the error every day/hour
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 2006 TL that I've had now for 6 years. Like most of you, my TPMS Error message just came on one day out of no where in September, however it comes and goes and does not give a reading of the tire pressure of any of the wheels. I took my car to the Acura dealer for a routine oil change yesterday and had them check the TPMS. The technician indicating he couldn't not find any codes and that it may be an issue caused by my phone charger????
Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Advanced

i would be happy if there was just a way to disable the message for good, even if it meant having to check my tire pressure manually like some damn animal.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Tpms

Here’s a link that may help..
TPMS: Acura ILX, MDX, RDX, RLX, TL, TLX, TSX and ZDX ? 2007-16 - Service - Modern Tire Dealer
Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by carlosriosness
i would be happy if there was just a way to disable the message for good, even if it meant having to check my tire pressure manually like some damn animal.
Unfortunately the US Govt/NHTSA does not allow that.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by racerock
From what I have read, and experienced, 58 PSI is the display the first time you fire up the car with the new sensors around the car and pressurized...

Installed 4 used, and all 4 displays were 58. Cool, I thought. What they then do is read the pressure (I did check mine and confirmed they were not at 50...)

Well, here is my problem - after a number of miles (much longer than the typical few miles) my system shows an error - all 4 are not reading anything and the system is telling me there is a fault.

Does anyone know of a way to do a hard reset?

Can the car be thinking/looking for the other ones?

Maybe I'll pull the power and reset the whole car?
Well , after this thread was brought up from the dead... Saw that I neglected to update it with the corrective action/solution:

Turns out the sensors were either bad (what I believe), or for another vehicle. Replaced with Honda/Acura's. They are not that much more than aftermarket if you buy them the right way.