Door Light comes on while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Its going to be a faulty pin switch or door is out of adjustment.

In some cars instead of a pin switch its built in to the latch itself.

Pin switch

On a pin switch type car, to test it, just push it in with your thumb and the light should go out. If not then it's defective. Another way to test it is to unscrew it from the body and the light should go off. The screw is what grounds the pin switch to the car. No screw then no light. Make sure the switch is no longer touching the car.

If the light goes off when you push the pin in with your thumb then the door needs to be adjusted tighter inwards to push the pin more to break the contact (grounding).

If thats the case then walk the striker deeper into the door opening by loosening the striker one side at a time and pivot it inwards 1/8" at a time and recheck to see if that's deep enough to turn the lights off.

Tip: Mark the strike's position on the door post so you know where it was when you began as a reference point.

Latch type switch

To test the latch switch, just use a Philips screw driver and activate the latch by pushing inwards to close the latch fully (2 clicks). The lights should go out.

Note that a door latch has 2 steps. 1st step is a preliminary latch and 2nd step is fully latched or fully close.

If the door only latches to the 1st step then the lights should stay on. In this case there are 2 reasons.

1. The striker is adjusted too deep and the door can't go in far enough to activate the 2nd latch. So move the striker out to correct the problem.

2. The latch is defective.

If the latch is fully closed (2nd step) and the lights stay on then the latch is defective and should be replace.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01acls:
bibik (01-04-2023), guneygolf1 (05-03-2023)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the door striker. I just had this problem on my driver side front door, and the striker was loose. I just had to pop the cover off and tighten the two screws and I'm back in business.
The following users liked this post:
bryrock (08-26-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 06:21 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace switch Honda Part # 35400-S5A-013 . Honda parts unlimited sells these for $4.63 plus $1.61 shipping. One screw holds it in, unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Takes about 5 minutes. If the job is too big for you get your mother to help.
You can unplug the old switch until you get a new one and the light won't come on on the passenger side. (who cares?) You could also swap the switches from the back doors.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

Talking Door open chime fix for me

I opened the door and it was the latch which holds the door closed, which is on the door not the door panel. Just for any9ne who has this problem... I had pushed the latch to the down position as it does when the door closes and had for gotten to pull the handle so that it pooped back up. I tried closing the door with the latch down and the door didn't close since the latch was already down it just hit the latch and that was it.. so I pull the handle then close the door and the problem is gone I even pushed the door from the inside and nothing crazy fix haha
Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was having this problem with the driver door. Just started less than a week ago, but got increasingly worse within a few days. At first it only happened when I was making sweeping turns to the right, like on a highway ramp. So it seemed to have something to do with centrifugal force (and I was not leaning on the door). Within three days it just kept happening constantly while I drove down any street. I was fearing some trapped water on a switch, something like that.

After finding this thread I checked the switch. It would make sense to see some wear on the switch, as this car is driver-only occupied 90% of the time, but it didn't really look so bad. The part is cheap, though, so I ordered it anyway.

However, today I gave it a spit test, to see where exactly that switch comes in contact with the door. I noticed it is so close to the edge of the door that even the slightest misalignment of the door or latch could cause problems. And that's when I noticed the door striker could be easily jiggled. So just tightened that up really firm and took a long test drive around town, with lots of right turns.

Problem appears to be solved.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

this happened to my passenger side door.
i checked the plunger switch & it was fine.
so i put a piece of thick (.76mm) rubber electrical tape (scotch/3M 2242) opposite the plunger on the door itself.
problem solved!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear

Door light comes on when driving (when hit bumps etc) or when lean or push on it

Before I start driving and close doors nothing happens. Once I start driving and make turns or hit a bump the display shows passenger door open. It doesn't wiggle or anything so its latched on but when push or lean on it it makes noise and shows its open. When I open the door and press down on sensor it comes off and when released light is on like usual so I think that's not the problem? I realize the sensor touches edge of right side of door. I don't know what would be the problem. I've tightened the screw that has the plastic around it. And make sure the rubber that's on bottom left of door is twisted all the way as well. And have tightened the 3 screws that's on side of door as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM
5th Gear

Replace the door switch. It's 10 or 15 dollars at the Acura/Honda dealer. There are Youtube videos showing how to replace it. Super easy to replace it. It's a common problem.
If you want to test it first, take the 1 screw out that holds it and unplug it.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
door strike/ latch may also just need to be adjusted. I had to do this because of the same issue, leaning on the door or making turns would make the car think it was 'open'