Busted

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Busted

My wife's 06 TL Auto w/nav is reasonably immaculate, I have maintained the car since we purchased it at 43k two years ago. I searched the forum(s) and YouTube and have been unable to find a thread or video related to this problem. So here is the busted door latch problem... the driver rear passenger door opens, closes, locks, unlocks - all normally. So the door opens from both inside and outside. The door latch does latch (close) when you open from the outside. When you open the door from the inside, the latch will open fine, but will remain in the open/receiving position as normal, but it just will not latch when closed (the door closes flush but the latch does not activate around the post). However, if you open the door from the inside and then pull the handle on the outside, the latch operate and will close around the post. The latch is not dirty. The latch seemingly operates fine, but will simply not latch ONLY when you open from the inside.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
It sounds like your wire that connects to the handle is going bad. I don't know the technical name. But essentially how the interior handle works is that there is a metal wire that has a little pin on it and will extend and retract when the handle is pulled and released.

My guess is that wire is not retracting when you release the handle so it is causing the latch not to shut. You should be able to replace that wire pretty simply. I know for the front doors, you pop the wire out of a little clip that holds in in place and then pop the pin part out of the handle mechanism.

Hopefully that description makes sense, it is a little hard to articulate without pictures.

I believe you want this wire (#17): https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D

Last edited by NoTLoud; 02-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
5th Gear

I will have to locate a parts diagram to observe your description. The explanation is as good as it needs to be so thanks for that... To remove this wire, do I have to pull the latch? If so, is there a description of how to remove the latch within Acurazine? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
The parts diagram is in the link
Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM
5th Gear

Is this the cable being referenced: 2006 Acura TL 72671-SEP-A01?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM
5th Gear

thoiboi - What link might that be? I am new to Acurazine, so if I missed something...ooops. I am also using a smart phone so that adds to the delight.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ISpy
Is this the cable being referenced: 2006 Acura TL 72671-SEP-A01?
The part you listed is the left side. The right side part number is the one I linked: 72631-SEP-A01.
I'm not sure of the differences, but definitely get proper side.

As far as replacing it goes, you don't need to remove the interior handle, as far as I know. To remove the panels in the front (I haven't removed the rears, so I am using fronts as reference), you need to pop the wire of the clip that holds it in and then pop the pin that goes into the handle out.
If you take the door panel off, it should become more clear. As thoiboi mentioned, click the second picture on the part link. You can also click the link above the part to go back to the Rear Door Locks - Outer Handle page and see all the parts associated with the locking mechanism.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTLoud
It sounds like your wire that connects to the handle is going bad. I don't know the technical name. But essentially how the interior handle works is that there is a metal wire that has a little pin on it and will extend and retract when the handle is pulled and released.

My guess is that wire is not retracting when you release the handle so it is causing the latch not to shut. You should be able to replace that wire pretty simply. I know for the front doors, you pop the wire out of a little clip that holds in in place and then pop the pin part out of the handle mechanism.

Hopefully that description makes sense, it is a little hard to articulate without pictures.

I believe you want this wire (#17): https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D
^
This link here
Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

Thank you. I am not sure now and I apologize, but for whatever reason, the last sentence with the link was not initially observed by me. Prolly my fault, again using a cell phone as I stand here in an endless line... Regardless, thanks... oh, and it is the drivers rear i.e. left side.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ISpy
Thank you. I am not sure now and I apologize, but for whatever reason, the last sentence with the link was not initially observed by me. Prolly my fault, again using a cell phone as I stand here in an endless line... Regardless, thanks... oh, and it is the drivers rear i.e. left side.
Okay, if it's the driver's side door, then you want the part number you listed earlier: 72671-SEP-A01 not the one I linked. So instead of #17, you want #28.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought the issue was with the rear passenger door, not the drivers.