3G TL on 18" VSR Perfs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I actually edited my post before you replied, lol. Like I said, it's hard for me to justify supercharging it. I saw a used supercharger for my car on CL (crazy, right) for like $1500 and that's what peaked my interest. But - I can no longer find the CL post, and 3k+ for a new one still isn't HORRIBLE, but I may just stick to full bolt-ons. It's in the air. The difference between full bolt-ons and supercharging is only about 50whp, correct?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
went from I love the red to now im painting it black! lol
still love you OP
lol yeah, I looked at it hard this morning when parking and decided the red was too much. Plus I want it to match the moulding I'm putting on.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:17 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeperTL
Yeah, I actually edited my post before you replied, lol. Like I said, it's hard for me to justify supercharging it. I saw a used supercharger for my car on CL (crazy, right) for like $1500 and that's what peaked my interest. But - I can no longer find the CL post, and 3k+ for a new one still isn't HORRIBLE, but I may just stick to full bolt-ons. It's in the air. The difference between full bolt-ons and supercharging is only about 50whp, correct?

Well, there's a lot of variables to consider. Not every exhaust system made for the TL gives the same exact gains. Not every intake system made for the TL gives the same exact gains. Not every TL will get the same exact gains and that's mostly due to (A). Location (B). Condition of engine (C). Which dyno.
There are two supercharger systems. One being the comptech unit and the other one that Andy G sells (Rotex kit). Andy's kit makes more power, but at the cost of losing the compressor, so no A/C. Tuning the comptech unit is the golden ticket. It's not just buying the kit at 4-5K, its supporting mods. plus hondata plus the actual tune. Buying a used supercharger is great for reduced cost, but not soo great when it's missing misc items. Some of these misc items can be very hard to get even from Comptech. I generally don't tell people what my TL puts down, because it always ends up being a pissing game about numbers. I will tell you, it puts well over 300 to the wheels as far as HP. Still under the 300 mark for TQ. I'm also a 6 speed with supporting mods.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
First of all, nobody should dictate another man's artistic style. I mean, it can be done, we have that right, but what is the standard to compare to anyway? That being said... go back to stock. Jk, i'm kidding. Although I don't like it, if you like it, thats what matters.

Now, one visual tip. Bigger wheels look more attractive. 19" typically looks better than 18". With a black lip, you literally make the 18" wheels look like 17". I think if you added a red pinstripe on the outer edge of the rim, it would give you a divide where the tire starts and the wheel ends.

Secondly, with the attention of the red paint to the exhaust, it would help to have something that fits in that space. Maybe OEM tips would be better than those cut off tips.
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^^^ This!!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rondog
First of all, nobody should dictate another man's artistic style. I mean, it can be done, we have that right, but what is the standard to compare to anyway? That being said... go back to stock. Jk, i'm kidding. Although I don't like it, if you like it, thats what matters.

Now, one visual tip. Bigger wheels look more attractive. 19" typically looks better than 18". With a black lip, you literally make the 18" wheels look like 17". I think if you added a red pinstripe on the outer edge of the rim, it would give you a divide where the tire starts and the wheel ends.

Secondly, with the attention of the red paint to the exhaust, it would help to have something that fits in that space. Maybe OEM tips would be better than those cut off tips.
Never understood the hate on the vehicle here v. real world. I've had ONE friend tell me the red is tacky, but this is the same friend that suggested I do the wheels white, lol. Since I've had the red wheels I've gotten nothing but compliments on the car, from random "nice car, man" at gas stations, to the most recent "That is dope!" (without me even mentioning the car) at work from a returning coworker. Maybe it just looks better in person? Maybe the red wheels are so edgy that is gets crazy different reactions out of people? Maybe I should've taken more photogenic photos like you guys, and not just some random 5 sec pic? Maybe tint would've helped the look drastically? Who knows. Just boggles my mind the night and day comments on the car from you guys and people IRL.

Funny thing; I just noticed two days ago, there actually is a red outter stripe on the wheels, it's just covered by thin black (electric?) tape. Whatever tape it is, it's durable, because I've rinsed the wheels with a pressure washer, lol.

Do you think the wheels might simply look smaller to you because of the beefy tires? (I know it's unusual to see beefy tires on racing/perf wheels like these).

Ah well, the car is TOTALED now. 75 yr old man pulled out in front of me last night. He's already been declared at fault and I get a check next week. Let's see what's next. (Guy I bought the car from is already trying to sell me on another TL, lol.) :P

Last edited by sleeperTL; 02-02-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Well that escalated quickly.

Sorry about your loss... I guess?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Oh man,

I'm sorry to hear about the TL, more importantly, hope you're alright. You know we are always here to help you with any questions or concerns. If you do decide to look for another TL post links or photos of each one you look at.

best of luck buddy!
bluetl04 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Bummer to hear about the car. But glad to hear you are ok. Cars can be replaced. But please if you get another TL don't do the red accents above the exhaust.
bluetl04 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Just like many have said, its your car man. You mod it to your taste. Everyone has different taste and will not like the way your car is set up. But just like cu2wagon said, even if they are your friends, they may not be truthful because they don't wanna hurt your feelings. I'll give you my opinion on your car, all that red has to go. Its a bit to much. But none of our opinions should matter to you. It should just help you out with different ways to mod your car. So please don't take any offense to us and we are all here to share our styles and help each other out. But since we both have the same color TL, here is a picture of mine and it may help you out with things.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

New whip. A little low via coil overs, AEM intake, yellow fog light mod. Appreciate the concern by the way, guys. I'm okay, just a little sore and achy.

Last edited by sleeperTL; 02-15-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Congrats on the new ride!

Door strips gotta go tho! What are you plans for this one?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

This one is great because it has a lot of stuff I was going to do to it already done. So I'm thinking I'll just do exhaust and a j-pipe. Might do wheels down the road, idk. I really like how the stockies look on it.

Here's a front end shot

Last edited by sleeperTL; 02-16-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Aspec Kit, Aspec wheels, Intake, Exhaust and be done with it!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Aspec Kit, Aspec wheels, Intake, Exhaust and be done with it!
Already got an intake on it. Where are people getting their aspec kits from?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

EndlessRPM or private sellers. Most are having to repaint, since there are only select colors left.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice replacement looks better
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Glad to hear yer ok, as for the red wheels I think it's make or break. It all depends on the design of the wheel to me. However darker grey cars like the CGP have a hard time with colored wheels. The best color to compliment the it is the silver. That being said my wheels have been, black, orange, white, gunmetal, and are now red. Keep the pics coming
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Noone seemed to mention this, but HOW in the world would your insurance be 1050$ a month for a 17' honda civic?

Just curious..

And the new TL looks pretty clean already, and those stockies look great when the car is lowered a significant amount.

Get you a rear window visor!

Just finally got myself one after 2 yrs of having my TL.

Congrats on the new TL, and glad your alright from some old man totaling your old TL!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

The insurance would be so high because of my age and I've been in a few accidents in the past. Honestly, if I wouldn't have voluntarily given up past accident info, I don't think they would've found anything (my current insurance company didn't).