'08 TL Progress Thread by UA7X

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Im actually trying to get into a honda dealer myself as service advisor for the time being.

Pay seems good, def nothing too crazy but certainly enough to have a decent life. Im a ppl person at heart so I think ill enjoy it while I look for something else in my field.

Id love to hear some stuff

​​​​​​​LOL

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Just ordered some DRL's. Suppose to be warmer this weekend so I may have a small upgrade to put in.
SRSLY? reach your hand in there and twist them out. it literally takes 1 minute

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-06-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
SRSLY? reach your hand in there and twist them out. it literally takes 1 minute
I hate working in the cold, something always seems to break. I also have HID's for my fogs so the bumper will need to come off, I know I can't recruit you to come help!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
glad to see you got your nexus project semi wrapped up and that those animations worked out for you...really makes a sharp wake up and sleep transition right??

the way you externally mounted definitely makes it an easier install haha but that would drive me crazy, i'm all about an oem/seamless look and pretty OCD about things haha. so do you remove it each time you park or just leave it out? I would be worried about someone breaking in and stealing it with it mounted like that (but then again i don't live in necessarily the best area haha).

have you had any more software issues? I'm still figuring out my audio/crashing issues, timur told me that it's actually a problem with the google apps conflicting with something. he told me to go back to a fresh install and get those google app versions but i don't want to tear apart my dash so i'm going to update all google software and hope they fixed that bug in the latest releases. always something to work on haha, but i love my nexus 7 install and hope you're loving yours as well!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I hate working in the cold, something always seems to break. I also have HID's for my fogs so the bumper will need to come off, I know I can't recruit you to come help!
You can change out the fog lights without pulling the bumper - even if you're putting in an HID kit. Just turn the wheel, pop the couple of clips and the 10mm bolt to get that fender liner/lower splash shield section out of the way, and there it is! I've changed my fogs out like 6 times this way. Super quick.
The following users liked this post:
BreezyTL (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockr1
glad to see you got your nexus project semi wrapped up and that those animations worked out for you...really makes a sharp wake up and sleep transition right??

the way you externally mounted definitely makes it an easier install haha but that would drive me crazy, i'm all about an oem/seamless look and pretty OCD about things haha. so do you remove it each time you park or just leave it out? I would be worried about someone breaking in and stealing it with it mounted like that (but then again i don't live in necessarily the best area haha).

have you had any more software issues? I'm still figuring out my audio/crashing issues, timur told me that it's actually a problem with the google apps conflicting with something. he told me to go back to a fresh install and get those google app versions but i don't want to tear apart my dash so i'm going to update all google software and hope they fixed that bug in the latest releases. always something to work on haha, but i love my nexus 7 install and hope you're loving yours as well!
I usually leave it mounted, unless I'm in a sketchy area and I know I'll be away for a while. It's not super obvious that it pops right out, and people passing by wouldn't realize it unless they were planning on breaking into by car in the first place and were looking in through the windshield. I thought it would be pretty obnoxious too, but it actually doesn't bother me much being mounted in front of the screen. It would look even cleaner if my case wasn't cracked/chipped on the top lol. My friend (who is also pretty OCD about the clean OEM look) said it has an almost OEM look to it like how the new Civics have the tablets that stick out in front of the dash a little across the top:

As far as the software issues, I still have excessive battery drain (although it has improved), and the occasional random usb drive disconnect - which I haven't solved yet. I'm pretty certain that it's a split-second power interruption or excessive voltage drop that makes the tablet start the Suspend mode and then immediately revert back to the Awake state. The Android System shows the drive is disconnected (sometimes it reconnects instantly, others it doesn't reconnect until the next suspend/awake cycle), and in PowerEventMgr you can see the drive is not mounted (even though it's present in the list of USB connections), the previous Awake/Suspend data is no longer available, and the External Power Connect Counter usually shows an extra count. I haven't been able to duplicate it on command, so it's been difficult to pinpoint the component that's causing the problem. I'm leaning towards the accessory outlet charger that I use so I ordered the Anker one that a lot of people are using. Does this sound like the issue you're having too?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
Im actually trying to get into a honda dealer myself as service advisor for the time being.

Pay seems good, def nothing too crazy but certainly enough to have a decent life. Im a ppl person at heart so I think ill enjoy it while I look for something else in my field.

Id love to hear some stuff

​​​​​
The pay can be great if you're good at it, all the advisors I worked with made more money than I did (most of them made A LOT more than I did). I'm not great on the spot or in tense situations with people I don't know, so being an advisor was really not for me, but if you're a people person and you can handle a fast-paced sales-type environment then it can definitely be a good gig. If you have the option, it's best to work in a dealership that has a team-based system (as opposed to "open dispatch"). They would probably start you as an express service advisor (oil changes being the majority of your appointments), so you'll have a lot of paperwork with lots of customers, and a low payout per repair order. You can make decent money this way too as long as you stay motivated, but if you can work up to being a Mainline advisor with 2-3 specific mechanics on your team, you can do really well financially.

One of the best advisors I had was a mainline mechanic for a long time first, so he knew what it was like in the shop and did a great job taking care of his mechanics. He understood the kinds of problems we ran into (like rust-siezed bolts that make the job take longer than expected, or components that break while trying to get to other components, etc). He was encouraging and he handed out the occasional Red Bull in appreciation for a job well done. He was also very honest with the customers and because of that they always asked to work with him. He would always recommend the most important and safety-related work, not just the most lucrative. I remember one time a lady said she couldn't afford to do everything, so she tried to do a couple engine mounts for $800 instead of brakes for $180 and he said no way, the mounts can wait a while - just do the brakes. This advisor had the least amount of experience and already had some of the highest numbers in sales and customer satisfaction, so being honest can pay off when you're an advisor.

Hope there's some useful info in that, I'm happy to answer any questions. Based on that popcorn, though, I'm guessing you'd like to hear the "good stuff"...

I remember one advisor, kind of a burly guy, who always waddled around with a big smile, just big and goofy - not intimidating at all. He was an advisor for a long time until he flipped out at a customer, told them to f*ck off and then threw his clipboard across the express lane drive and quit. I'm pretty sure he later attended Anger Management.

There was another time that a mainline advisor was being promoted to management, so all of the express advisors were competing for that new position. But instead of promoting one of them the boss hired someone from outside, and so 3 of the 4 express advisors walked out on the spot lol. There was a ton of turnover in a matter of a few months - the boss was always difficult to work for but towards the end, man he just seemed like he went off the deep end.

This story is about a lot attendant, not an advisor, but still pretty funny. He was a pretty weird kid, kept trying to trick out his beige '97-02 mitsubishi mirage (which is funny enough in itself). He was going to school so he could move into the shop eventually. One day, he curb-checked a customer's car, damaging the wheel, and then later that same day he backed a customer's car into another customer's car. They asked how he could damage three cars in one day and he said that he was just having a bad day because he was tired from school. Yes, he was having a bad day. Yes, he was tired. And yes, he was fired.

One more, because it wouldn't be fair if I didn't post something stupid that I did, lol. One day I missed a meeting first thing because I woke up late, so I was already under the radar. The first car I worked on was a new car from the lot, not a customer car. When I was done with it about an hour later I backed it out of my bay and I bumped into a customer's car that one of the other techs had double parked in the lane. The new car was fine, but the customer needed a new bumper lol. All the icing on the cake: the meeting I missed was all about Safety, and the car I was driving had a Backup Camera lol.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UA7X
I usually leave it mounted, unless I'm in a sketchy area and I know I'll be away for a while. It's not super obvious that it pops right out, and people passing by wouldn't realize it unless they were planning on breaking into by car in the first place and were looking in through the windshield. I thought it would be pretty obnoxious too, but it actually doesn't bother me much being mounted in front of the screen. It would look even cleaner if my case wasn't cracked/chipped on the top lol. My friend (who is also pretty OCD about the clean OEM look) said it has an almost OEM look to it like how the new Civics have the tablets that stick out in front of the dash a little across the top:
yea it's not too bad and pretty similar to the civic, but that's not what bugs me what bothers me are seeing cords haha. i do everything in my power to hide cords and make a clean install, just the OCD in me...not harking on your setup more just explaining my ocd-ness haha

Originally Posted by UA7X
As far as the software issues, I still have excessive battery drain (although it has improved), and the occasional random usb drive disconnect - which I haven't solved yet. I'm pretty certain that it's a split-second power interruption or excessive voltage drop that makes the tablet start the Suspend mode and then immediately revert back to the Awake state. The Android System shows the drive is disconnected (sometimes it reconnects instantly, others it doesn't reconnect until the next suspend/awake cycle), and in PowerEventMgr you can see the drive is not mounted (even though it's present in the list of USB connections), the previous Awake/Suspend data is no longer available, and the External Power Connect Counter usually shows an extra count. I haven't been able to duplicate it on command, so it's been difficult to pinpoint the component that's causing the problem. I'm leaning towards the accessory outlet charger that I use so I ordered the Anker one that a lot of people are using. Does this sound like the issue you're having too?
hmm that's weird about your battery drain...have you checked the rtc alarms to see what's still waking up your tablet? how much battery drain do you get overnight?

the awake/suspend mode to me also sounds like your adapter and a common voltage spike. if the adapter doesn't work you may want to look into a DC DC power converter for more stable power delivery.

i have not had any of the problems you described but i still have audio issues. whenever i play usb audio and use my e10k DAC, i get random freezing and rebooting of my tablet...it really pisses me off since i use the tablet mostly for audio and i've done a ton of troubleshooting. i'm still working on it trying to figure out why. timur thinks it's a version of google apps that has some issues with the tablet but i'm now up to date and still have the issues. he wants me to do a reinstall from scratch and not ever update the google apps but i don't want to do that yet because that means taking apart my entire dash again
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockr1
yea it's not too bad and pretty similar to the civic, but that's not what bugs me what bothers me are seeing cords haha. i do everything in my power to hide cords and make a clean install, just the OCD in me...not harking on your setup more just explaining my ocd-ness haha

hmm that's weird about your battery drain...have you checked the rtc alarms to see what's still waking up your tablet? how much battery drain do you get overnight?

the awake/suspend mode to me also sounds like your adapter and a common voltage spike. if the adapter doesn't work you may want to look into a DC DC power converter for more stable power delivery.

i have not had any of the problems you described but i still have audio issues. whenever i play usb audio and use my e10k DAC, i get random freezing and rebooting of my tablet...it really pisses me off since i use the tablet mostly for audio and i've done a ton of troubleshooting. i'm still working on it trying to figure out why. timur thinks it's a version of google apps that has some issues with the tablet but i'm now up to date and still have the issues. he wants me to do a reinstall from scratch and not ever update the google apps but i don't want to do that yet because that means taking apart my entire dash again
The power adapter seemed to be the cause of my disappearing drives issue, although with intermittent conditions I can't say that 100%. But since I've had the Anker charger I haven't had any more issues so far so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Battery drain is basically my only issue now. All my RTC alarms are off and the deep-sleep mode is enabled, and it doesn't appear that anything is waking up the tablet. I've been 'data logging' on the battery drain, so I'll post some pics of the results soon.

If you want to return your google apps to previous versions, I think you can do that in the apps settings without having to disassemble the dash and do a fresh install. Go to Settings > Apps > (each google app) > Disable (or uninstall) > "Yes" to disable > "Yes" to return app to original factory install. Then re-enable/re-install it and it should be at the old version. Don't quote me on the message prompts, I forget what they say exactly, but that's the idea. I kind of doubt the Google apps versions is the problem though, because I'm pretty sure that you and I have the same exact install and I've never experienced any freezing, crashing, or rebooting. My setup: 2013 16gb Wifi Nexus 7, Android 6.0 MOB30X, Timur's Kernel v4.0-final-flo, TWRP 2.8.7.0-flo, and UPDATE-SuperSU v2.76.

How often do your crashing/rebooting issues occur? Do you keep track of your Power Connect counter? I know Timur said if you have the rapid on/off/on cycle it can cause serious stability issues. If you see more than one increment to the counter each time you start it up, that could be the problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

^^^ Thank you for the tip on how to take google apps back to their original version! i tried that over the weekend and unfortunately i still have my audio freezing/rebooting still. the 2.0 hubs didn't make any difference either. i'm now looking into power issues. i currently run it off an anker cigarette adapter tied into the fuse box but will look into DC-DC step down converters.

my crashing/rebooting issues happen every time i drive and play usb audio through the DAC and hub. if i don't play music that way, my tablet never crashes or reboots. it's only when i have usb music and the DAC connected (and playing). if no music is playing and those are hooked up there are no issues.

i haven't looked at the power connect counter but i'll give that a look the next few times i drive. i consider myself a somewhat smart guy but i am so entirely frustrated and confused on why i have this issue. everything else works perfect

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-20-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Update with the battery drain issues. I didn't catch every start/stop - mostly just the overnights with a couple of in-betweens, so it's mostly just a general idea of what I'm dealing with lol.

My average is about 0.7-0.8% of battery drain per hour, though seems any Suspend intervals under about 10 hours will cause over 1% per hour.

Feb9 1:45pm

Feb9 6:29pm

Feb10 10:17pm

Feb11 9:45pm

^^^ worth pointing out and comparing the above two images: screen off time is 17min longer the first night, but 7% less drain and only 4 seconds less of Awake time.

Feb12 12:21am

Feb12 9:03am

Feb12 10:16am

Feb13 6:42pm

Feb16 7:38pm

Feb17 7:03pm

Feb18 9:57pm

This last one was was a fluke, where I accidentally caused the Nexus to stay awake all night and prevented it from going into Suspend mode. I'm including this one as a reference, this is what battery drain is like in the normal Android systems "sleep" state, which means that Timur's kernel is indeed putting tablet into Suspend mode in the other photos.

Feb22 1:28pm

Feb26 5:42pm

Feb28 1:07pm

Mar4 9:55pm