TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vill0169
The windows need to be open for most events anyways and a window net wouldn't be necessary for anything I'm planning on doing in the near future.

window nets are there, so that when they say "please keep hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times" they do, even when you are being flung around (in an accident)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
^obviously^ I just am saying that the group I run in now and the only other class I might compete in do not at this time "require" them.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
B A N N E D

^obviously^ I just am saying that the group I run in now and the only other class I might compete in do not at this time "require" them.
fair enough then, but still might not hurt to install them though, so when you do go up a class, you already have them then, let alone being prepared for the unexpected....
Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I very much agree with the window net. There is no way I would be driving with my window down without a net. Rollovers are the most ugly collision scenario that a driver will ever experience.

Be sure that your racing harness is super tight against your body too. The harness loses most of it's effectiveness if even slightly lose. I nearly break my fingers trying to snap my buckles closed with my racing harness.

Here is a good read if you have not had a chance to read it yet. This thread discuses the dangers of rollovers and the accompanying body flail... arms and head being forced out of the window opening during a rollover.

Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I very much agree with the window net. There is no way I would be driving with my window down without a net. Rollovers are the most ugly collision scenario that a driver will ever experience.

Be sure that your racing harness is super tight against your body too. The harness loses most of it's effectiveness if even slightly lose. I nearly break my fingers trying to snap my buckles closed with my racing harness.

Here is a good read if you have not had a chance to read it yet. This thread discuses the dangers of rollovers and the accompanying body flail... arms and head being forced out of the window opening during a rollover.

Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)
in nascar they also even put a net on the inside too, even though you may not go out the car, it's still there to help contain the arms (and didn't a few years ago they also have straps attached to their wrists, again to help restrain there arms :pounder: )
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How have I not seen this thread yet?? Nice.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 PM
AZ Track Whore

Not sure if this'll work or not but a buddy shot this video from the media area at Autobahn. It was hella windy but this lap matches one in the youtube video and I figured I'd give it a shot for ya'll.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20227250/TL.MP4

Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll take it down.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM
B A N N E D

not saving it to the computer

part of the reason for youtube being so popular, with everything being web-based (and not having to save it to the hard-drive)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Any chance of removing the windows altogether?

I agree with not touching the radiator. The last thing you want is cooling issues and besides, if you ever add some serious power down the road you're covered.

While on the subject of radiators, any chance of adding a simple louver system to close off all grill openings at high speeds to help out with aerodynamics? You would still have the hood vent to let off pressure which is great since it's likely in a low pressure area. Maybe just the two lower ones or at least turn the lower openings into brake ducts but seal the ducts to the opening so all of the air has to go to the brakes. You could have all coolers (radiator, PS, and engine oil) in one area of the car, box everything in, including the area from the bumper to core support to where air HAS to flow through the radiator once it goes through the grill instead of around and under. You would be increasing cooling efficiency and aerodynamics at the same time.

The more I think of it, adding a lower front air dam like the factory one to where it nearly scrapes all the time should work wonders. It might be a valid alternative to the splitter which would be more easily damaged if it were "race" low.

I don't know what kind of speeds you see at your local tracks but we've seen improvements in aerodynamics, stability, and cooling as low as 60mph by controlling airflow through the front of the car.

On one car I used a switch that looks like a paddle that goes in the air flow. It's very light and all you need is a switch, actuator and some louvers. You can do the whole thing for 2.8lbs if I remember right. I thought about using a system based off of engine vacuum where it shuts the louvers under low vacuum and opens under high vacuum. It might work but I've never tested it. I was worried that an on/off system based on load instead of airspeed might upset things at very high speeds or stay closed too much of the time which becomes a cooling problem.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Any chance of removing the windows altogether?

I agree with not touching the radiator. The last thing you want is cooling issues and besides, if you ever add some serious power down the road you're covered.

While on the subject of radiators, any chance of adding a simple louver system to close off all grill openings at high speeds to help out with aerodynamics? You would still have the hood vent to let off pressure which is great since it's likely in a low pressure area. Maybe just the two lower ones or at least turn the lower openings into brake ducts but seal the ducts to the opening so all of the air has to go to the brakes. You could have all coolers (radiator, PS, and engine oil) in one area of the car, box everything in, including the area from the bumper to core support to where air HAS to flow through the radiator once it goes through the grill instead of around and under. You would be increasing cooling efficiency and aerodynamics at the same time.

The more I think of it, adding a lower front air dam like the factory one to where it nearly scrapes all the time should work wonders. It might be a valid alternative to the splitter which would be more easily damaged if it were "race" low.

I don't know what kind of speeds you see at your local tracks but we've seen improvements in aerodynamics, stability, and cooling as low as 60mph by controlling airflow through the front of the car.

On one car I used a switch that looks like a paddle that goes in the air flow. It's very light and all you need is a switch, actuator and some louvers. You can do the whole thing for 2.8lbs if I remember right. I thought about using a system based off of engine vacuum where it shuts the louvers under low vacuum and opens under high vacuum. It might work but I've never tested it. I was worried that an on/off system based on load instead of airspeed might upset things at very high speeds or stay closed too much of the time which becomes a cooling problem.

Well removing the windows would be nice if I had an enclosed trailer and had a good chance the weather would be nice but kinda hard to do that right now.

As for the aero thoughts, I was just looking at the front bumper today trying to draft a plan for the brake ducts I want to do and I think I could easily turn the two lower openings on the bumper into sole ducts for the brakes. I say this because the grill by the Acura logo and the little gap I have between my splitter and the bumper both would direct air right at the radiator so I really wouldn't be losing anything by doing that. This will be my next fiberglass adventure lol

As for a louvers, it's probably doable but I think the surface area I would be blocking off wouldn't really make a huge difference at most tracks I frequent. I mean, maybe at like Road Atlanta where the straight is hellishly long it would be useful but most other places I only get to the top of 4th gear and maybe just a titch of 5th before I brake again. On this subject though, I'm pretty sure the new Ford Focus has a system just like the one you describe, they are marketing it for economy I think, but same system.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Host that up on YouTube
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by rtibbitts07
Host that up on YouTube

Yeah I'll have to get the actual file from my buddy cuz he still has it. But I'll get it up on youtube here soon.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

But I'll get it up on youtube here soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaakBiqzDK0

Beat you to it.... Done.

Woot !!!!!

Look at that TL Diet flying

The TL Diet... Woo Hoo, What a Ride !!!! :gheywave:

Last edited by Inaccurate; 04-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
vill0169, ever consider making some underbody panels?

I seen a very nice DIY, using cardboard, aluminum strips, reinforced with layers of fiberglass, resulting in strong yet lightweight panels:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-membe...ouple-s-7.html

I was real close to taking this project on myself along with a functional rear diffuser that would channel some air through the type-s rear bumpers' fake grill (planned on cutting it out). I wanted to do the entire underside.

What changed my mind was the cost and labor it would take me wasn't worth it since I don't even track the car..

I'm still curious to see how much difference in aerodynamics and handling it could make. If I had access to a lift I'd still probably wanna do it.

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 04-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

Beat you to it.... Done.

The TL Diet... Woo Hoo, What a Ride !!!! :gheywave:

Haha Thanks man!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
vill0169, ever consider making some underbody panels?

I seen a very nice DIY, using cardboard, aluminum strips, reinforced with layers of fiberglass, resulting in strong yet lightweight panels:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-membe...ouple-s-7.html

I was real close to taking this project on myself along with a functional rear diffuser that would channel some air through the type-s rear bumpers' fake grill (planned on cutting it out). I wanted to do the entire underside.

What changed my mind was the cost and labor it would take me wasn't worth it since I don't even track the car..

I'm still curious to see how much difference in aerodynamics and handling it could make. If I had access to a lift I'd still probably wanna do it.

A rear diffuser is definitely in the plans for the car. Probably nothing more than that though. The cost and my time for the diffuser alone would be pretty extensive and I just think an underbody panel like in the link would be somewhat of a headache after a while.

I couldn't believe how long it took me to make my splitter. I made that from the ground up and it probably took 2 to 3 times the time and material I thought it would to make it rigid and functional. It would be nice if I decided to run a short little exhaust that just dumped under the car somewhere because that would make fabing the rear diffuser a lot easier due to the absence of the big mufflers and everything.

Oh the thoughts that are always creeping into my head lol

thanks for the link!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM
B A N N E D

A rear diffuser is definitely in the plans for the car. Probably nothing more than that though. The cost and my time for the diffuser alone would be pretty extensive and I just think an underbody panel like in the link would be somewhat of a headache after a while.

I couldn't believe how long it took me to make my splitter. I made that from the ground up and it probably took 2 to 3 times the time and material I thought it would to make it rigid and functional. It would be nice if I decided to run a short little exhaust that just dumped under the car somewhere because that would make fabing the rear diffuser a lot easier due to the absence of the big mufflers and everything.

Oh the thoughts that are always creeping into my head lol

thanks for the link!
have it go out the top of the hood for the shortest possiblle exhaust, or side dump underneth the car (exits on the side, so it does not go all the way back)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ would be pretty interesting to hear.

An underbody panel set-up like this on a tracked TL would of been awesome :

The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (09-05-2022)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
AZ Track Whore

LOL it'd be fine with me! I'm kinda curious what those NACA ducts are doing back there. Probably rear brake coolers but the ducts kinda look like they are pointed backwards or something.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
LOL it'd be fine with me! I'm kinda curious what those NACA ducts are doing back there. Probably rear brake coolers but the ducts kinda look like they are pointed backwards or something.
Probably set up to pull cool air through the wheels/brakes then down and out the back of the car through a pressure differential created at speed... Assuming they are for the brakes that is.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Probably set up to pull cool air through the wheels/brakes then down and out the back of the car through a pressure differential created at speed... Assuming they are for the brakes that is.
yes they help to "suck" the air out from the heat (especially any built up heat under there)

BUT what i think it is really for though, is for the necessary airflow to keep the rear diff cool, and not overheat (also look at the one slightly foward to let the necessary air in to keep it cool)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by friesm2000
yes they help to "suck" the air out from the heat (especially any built up heat under there)

BUT what i think it is really for though, is for the necessary airflow to keep the rear diff cool, and not overheat (also look at the one slightly foward to let the necessary air in to keep it cool)

That's a good possibility as well. Luckily for me being FWD and having a dumped exhaust will make the fab for it a little bit easier. Not sure when I'll undertake this one but it'll definitely be a lengthy project to get right.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yup thats exactly what those ducts were for, to keep the diff cool. I read it on their thread somewhere.

It's definitly not a bad idea to incorperate a few ducts to pull heat from the engine bay such as so:

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 04-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Yup thats exactly what those ducts were for, to keep the diff cool. I read it on their thread somewhere.

It's definitly not a bad idea to incorperate a few ducts to pull heat from the engine bay such as so:

umm....... by the looks of it, i think that may be a porsche, with a REAR engine, so the vent would kinda be on the wrong end (but the radiator is still up there, and still would need to be vented though; but if you are going all out, it would probably be better to vent that sucker up, and out of the top through the bonnet/hood/trunk (whatever you want to call it)

edit: that may actually be the panamara, so indeed front engine
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by friesm2000

edit: that may actually be the panamara, so indeed front engine

Exactly lol
Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
AZ Track Whore

WOW!!!!

JUST WEIGHED MY CATBACK AND IT WAS A MASSIVE 54 LBS!!!!

DEFINITELY GONNA MAKE A NEW RACE EXHAUST FOR THE CAR THAT WEIGHS A FRACTION OF THAT. WITH THAT OFF THE CAR AND A FEW NEW DIET ITEMS I WILL BE VERY VERY CLOSE TO 2700 LBS!!!

Just couldn't believe a resonator and two Magnaflows with tips would be that hefty. Certainly isn't necessary for me anymore to have a tamed down street exhaust.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

It's definitely going to sound like shit though
Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by Majofo

It's definitely going to sound like shit though

LOL that's certainly a possibility but we'll see I guess. 54 pounds is pounds though!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i admire your hard work. keep it up.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM
AZ Track Whore

Thought I'd give ya'll a little progress update. I've just about finished the new exhaust for the car. Less than half the weight and after another hanger is welded up and turn down is put on it'll be done. I'll get some pics and maybe a vid up tomorrow but it sounds pretty good for the size and weight.

I also started my rear diffuser today. Still a long way to go but it should come along nicely in the coming weekends. I'll continue to post info and pics as I make progress on it.

Here's some stage 0 pics of masking and prepping for fiberglass
Name:  IMG_20110521_104337.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20110521_104345.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  117.4 KB

On a lighter note, the car officially has a name! lol I kinda got the idea from the new Acura commercials that say at the end, "aggression, in it's most elegant form". So I took that idea and spun it a bit and rather brilliantly (I think) tied it in with the Air Force/Aircraft theme I've already started... Let me know what you think!

Name:  IMG_20110519_151022.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  64.9 KB

Oh and if I seemed distracted in the coming months it's due to this thing. lol
Name:  IMG_20110518_091158.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  93.3 KB
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Great progress man, did u finish the hood mesh yet??really looking forward to see it completed.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
Great progress man, did u finish the hood mesh yet??really looking forward to see it completed.

Nah I gotta get on that too lol
Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 PM

Great update! Keep us posted.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 AM
AZ Track Whore

Hey mods- you can edit a thread title right?

Kinda think at this point it would make sense to add "track car build" or something of the sort. Being the diet is pretty much done and I'm just building the car for track/race use now. Yes, no, maybe?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
excellent read Looking forward to see the continued progress...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Right because I'm obviously doing this to a completely stock car and have no idea about these handling and performance mods you speak of.....

Not trying to be rude but we've been though this over and over again and I would appreciate it if you kept these sorta comments to yourself. You have no idea how rewarding it is to see the look on people's faces with this "4 door, FWD, V6 Luxury sedan is hunting them down on a track. Is there anything wrong with the usual M3's, Evo/STI'S, vette's, etc? No! But God its boring doing the same thing everyone else has already mastered. So why the hell not do this? At least that's my firm belief on this.
My thoughts exactly! Hey what part of FL are you in? I'm in Palm Beach. If you get a chance to get out to the PBIR track let me know and i'll meet you out there!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
My thoughts exactly! Hey what part of FL are you in? I'm in Palm Beach. If you get a chance to get out to the PBIR track let me know and i'll meet you out there!
holy shit.. where have you been? How's the turbo type-s holding up?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Originally Posted by Majofo
holy shit.. where have you been? How's the turbo type-s holding up?
was fine till my differential gave up. not from the turbo, but from this guy at one of the dealerships that decided to launch the car over and over. so the dealer's been fixing that.

I gota say, i really want to see this TL so i can get some pointers for some of this weight reduction and fabrication. Looks awesome man!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
wtf, some guy was launching YOUR car.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

i wasn't there so i couldn't really say anything, lol.

but all the turbo stuff was off for warranty work. the car NA was making 300 before the FI went on, so i'm sure he just felt the need to destroy some one else's property. Oh well, it's fixed now and rodney is putting my kit back together now. so i'm just waiting in the meantime. No big deal, i'm just chill, lol

Quick Reply: TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51