Swapping stock automatic transmission torque converter and adding more torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by jkilla369
Good God. So how do people with the 04-06 tl automatics have fun with their cars?
See below and I concur.

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
I have plenty of fun in my car stunting on fools lol. I quickly realized that I'm not going to get much power out of this platform so started to get it up to snub in terms of looks. The 3g can look amazing with the right kind of visual mods and it can also sound very nice with a proper exhaust system.

Anyways, I'm in the same boat though, I do want more out of the car performance wise.. The only thing that makes sense for me to do at this point is wait for my Auto to blow then do the 6spd swap. Im hoping this doesn't happen for another 2 years at least but it will be done as I plan on keeping the car and have already sunk alot of money into it for mods so in my case it doesn't make sense to sell it for a 6mt TL
Also YMMV with the 04-06 5AT cars. Yes the 5AT is ragged on as a "terrible" trans but those who don't have AT issues aren't posting threads and proclaiming how non-issue their AT is every other week. Mine 06 5AT is at 189k miles and shifts very strong with no issues at all. I did do my homework and bought a extensively dealer documented/serviced car from birth 2 years ago.

I am still curious and to this date have not found actual number/data about AT failure rates in 3G TL vs other Honda vs USDM vs euro cars. All we have are internet-based opinions and trends on what is a "bad AT" and what is "better AT." It's a highly biased sample size. I don't know if there are databases out there either some kind of tracking system to see AT failure rates as a % of overall ATs. (dealer networks, repair shop networks, OEM itself?)

Or maybe within Honda's own corporate data they may have some numbers that they keep to themselves as an internal benchmark....which will never see public light of day unfortunately if that's the case. (a few on this very forum tried to get a production # of how many 07/08 TL-S were produced with the 6MT and broken down by colors...trying to find a number for how many 3G Unicorns were out there......07/08 TL-S with the 6MT and in KBP....and Acura corporate responded with that that information was a corporate secret and unable to be furnished....so if this kind of info is not given out then surely we'll never see anything even more sensitive such as AT failure rates)

With that said.....these ATs are likely relatively weaker than others....and given the average consumers' knowledge and care for transmissions (which is woefully little to none to damage.....from mis-using the AT...I know because I was an idiot before I started learning about cars and put 150k miles on a 95 Accord with very little ATF care......) it tends to get more failures than others.

And echoing what others have said already.....no need to dump that much money to get to some magical hp number. You can still have lots of fun with a base platform with visual mods and keeping maintenance/interior up to date. Having fun is not all about HP and straight line acceleration and loud engine/exhausts.

If you're looking for more reliable higher hp/performance chassis....you need to look elsewhere and not a 3G TL....unless you are truly addicted to this car and are willing to dump in massive money (as some have done on this forum) and know that you'll likely never recoup that money back in re-sale OR be as fast as other cars spending the same amount of money.

Last edited by nist7; 01-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
​​​​​​
​​​​​​there's no way way I'm reeling one in if it's ahead of me. At 80+ and a couple car lengths ahead, there's no way I'm catching and exceeding it without hitting deep triple digits
the 4th gear is very generous on the TL @ 80mph+
Gets to 120mph+ in no time.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
No the 07-08 auto trans bell housing bolts don't align with the 04-06 motor.
the 04-06 and 07-08 base have the same exact engine. only the type s 3.5L has the different bell housing. however there are different electronics between the 04-0 and 07-08 base transmissions
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by champaned_out
you're comparing a 13 year old car to newer gen models... why are you so surprised lol
The v6 camry he's talking about is the 3.5L which has been in camrys since 2007. That car is 10 years old. Not that much "newer" compared to the 3G TL.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPanda
the 4th gear is very generous on the TL @ 80mph+
Gets to 120mph+ in no time.
WHOOP WHOOP, that's the sound of the police.
I end races once we hit 90mph or if traffic approaches.
aint worth it to me to try to outgun a camry...

plus, you'll be "that guy" who weaves through traffic.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tls actually have great transmissions

Originally Posted by jkilla369
Unfortunately swapping for a 6speed is out of the question for because for one I don't yet know how to drive stick, and two it will be a a ton load of money to change the entire transmission unit. Are the 2005 transmissions that bad? I know 2G TLs have very bad transmission problems.
no they're not most people just think that because the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches are notorious for failing and often won't even trigger a transmission light not replacing these pressure switches are responsible for probably 90% of transmission failures in this vehicle mine has 250000 miles on it and has no issues whatsoever in fact my torque converter failed long before my transmission