Sprint Booster??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sprint Booster??

In another thread Gary TL S was talking about a sprint booster he had installed on his TL. I have never heard of these before but apparently they replace the DBW throttle system with something that improes throttle response?? Sounds like some BS but I don't know.. Anyone know anything about these???
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
In another thread Gary TL S was talking about a sprint booster he had installed on his TL. I have never heard of these before but apparently they replace the DBW throttle system with something that improes throttle response?? Sounds like some BS but I don't know.. Anyone know anything about these???
its about 330 dollars so its not cheap. i wonder myself...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
its about 330 dollars so its not cheap. i wonder myself...
http://www.sprintboostersales.com/
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
• Sprint Booster does not increase Horsepower.

• Sprint Booster does not reduce your 0-60mph times.

• Sprint Booster DOES make your car 'FEEL' faster.

• Sprint Booster is not for everyone.
enough said
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
JDM ... NOT !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most cars in the 21st century have replaced the more conventional throttle cable for an ECM (Electronic Control Module) that translates how hard the pedal is pushed into electronic signals in order to provide power to the wheels.

The ETC (Electronic Throttle Control), which is also known as Drive-By-Wire, has the unfortunate downside of delayed response and subdued acceleration, which can create problems in certain situations such as up-hill starts, quick gearchanges and overtaking.

SprintBooster overcomes this throttle response delay for your vehicle by providing crisp, on-tap acceleration for whenever the driver demands it.

Results:

At low revs, the engine responds at approximately half the time in comparison to before.
The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range, is almost zero.
Big differences in the higher rev range.
Improved response for downshifts and safer overtaking.
Overall safety and more fun on the road!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
JDM ... NOT !

I know that it sounds fishy and its not cheap but as somebody who has it and beleive me I drive my TL like I stole it since the day I got it, I felt the difference but then again youll only know once you try yourself. It would be great to see a few more people get one. I Got mine from my Local Acura Dealership for 279 Dollars CDN.. I guess the price is gone up now but either way its worth it...totally worth it
Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary TL S
I know that it sounds fishy and its not cheap but as somebody who has it and beleive me I drive my TL like I stole it since the day I got it, I felt the difference but then again youll only know once you try yourself. It would be great to see a few more people get one. I Got mine from my Local Acura Dealership for 279 Dollars CDN.. I guess the price is gone up now but either way its worth it...totally worth it
Just wondering, are you driving an auto or 6spd?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
They 'used' to be a vendor here, check this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/sprint-booster-686581/
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The Sprint booster is marketed like snake oil.. think performance chip (resistor).. it's a cheap mod that is equivalent to giving the car more throttle in the low to mid range.

What it does is it amplifies the throttle signal to flatten the throttle curve. It's not peaking throttle time it just makes the curve flat.. so at 1/4 throttle it reacts more like 1/3 - 1/2 throttle. For those who have light foots and don't like to press the pedal down.. go for it.. but you're wasting your money IMO.

This is such a cheap mod.. I could make linear amp that would flatten out and filter the throttle signal for a few bucks in components. They're selling this thing for around ~$300 which to me is a waste of money. Sprint Booster will not make you faster or turn your TL into a ferrari.. you will feel stronger throttle with minimal pedal play.. but again.. WOT occurs at the same point.. it just smooths out the mid curve.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Here are a couple of graphs I pulled from a nice white paper that was written about the Sprint Booster. What we see is the the throttle curve drop during acceleration.. so the throttle doesn't have a flat linear response until you press down to about 2/3 pedal play. The second graph shows the flattened throttle curve produced by the sprint booster, essentially the signal is amplified about 50% initially and saturates out at the 2/3 mark of the throttle signal. In other words.. you get the same result if you press in the accelerator more.. so the throttle response we typically feel at 1/2 accelerator depression you'd feel at 1/4. the sensation is purely psychological.. "WOW.. I pressed in the pedal just at little.. and zoom.." If that is what you're looking for.. I suggest trying to make one yourself.. it should be very simple and you could save yourself $300.. beware.. the trade off is finer low end control so you may have to relearn driving in traffic.

http://www.peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

Last edited by Majofo; 04-09-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You know I thought this was part was a gimmick too and I told the guy to go fly a kite when he emailed me but I started doing some reading on it and it seems legitimate. There are a lot of European customers who use this and who swear by this mod, including BMW, Mini, MB, Audi, etc. So a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of these and I bought one for my personal vehicle to see if it works. As soon as I pull it out of storage I will let you guys know the results.

Just FYI this is the idea behind the product. It doesn't add hp but what it does is give you 100% throttle when you hit the gas or go Wide Open Throttle. Many of the OEM's limit the percentage of throttle you get with a Drive By Wire setup, sometimes only 80% until you reach a certain speed. This gives you 100% from the start.

We actually have a few in stock for the TL's. Usually they are $329 shipped; I'll do $299 shipped to the cont US. What we will offer too is offer a 1 week trial. You will send us the payment for the part and we will send the part to you. You will have 1 week after you received the part to install it and try it out. If you are unhappy with it after 1 week you can return it for a full refund. I will even credit the original shipping (as long as it's ground shipping to the cont 48 US). I'm hoping that after a few ppl have tried these we will discover whether it is a gimmick or not.

Last edited by Excelerate; 04-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
You know I thought this was part was a gimmick too and I told the guy to go fly a kite when he emailed me but I started doing some reading on it and it seems legitimate. There are a lot of European customers who use this and who swear by this mod, including BMW, Mini, MB, Audi, etc. So a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of these and I bought one for my personal vehicle to see if it works. As soon as I pull it out of storage I will let you guys know the results.

Just FYI this is the idea behind the product. It doesn't add hp but what it does is give you 100% throttle when you hit the gas or go Wide Open Throttle. Many of the OEM's limit the percentage of throttle you get with a Drive By Wire setup, sometimes only 80% until you reach a certain speed. This gives you 100% from the start.

We actually have a few in stock for the TL's. Usually they are $329 shipped; I'll do $299 shipped to the cont US. What we will offer too is offer a 1 week trial. You will send us the payment for the part and we will send the part to you. You will have 1 week after you received the part to install it and try it out. If you are unhappy with it after 1 week you can return it for a full refund. I will even credit the original shipping (as long as it's ground shipping to the cont 48 US). I'm hoping that after a few ppl have tried these we will discover whether it is a gimmick or not.
It's not a gimmick but some of the marketing tactics I've seen for the product are a bit over the top. It pretty much does what it says.. but the company is charging a lot for this product.. I guess because of the huge European market.. I'm sure anyone who gets one will be happy with it.. but being an Elec. Engr.. I'm disgusted.. .. Ignorance is bliss for some things.. but again.. it's not a gimmick it really does amplify the throttle response.. but so does my heavy foot..
Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

lets see what happens after a few trys
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
JDM ... NOT !

i drive a 5 at and honestly this product is worth a try. Even if it only gives you a feeling that your faster beleive me it is totally worth it. Also since XLR8 is doing it for 299 I think thats a good deal.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

If anyone wants one just send payment via Paypal to excelerate@sbcglobal.net and specify what you're ordering and for what car (include tranny type too).
Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm...sounds interesting. I hate the throttle delay. How do you install one of these?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I am interested on what excelerate finds on this. I've heard sprint booster before, but the 300 price tag is a bit much, but I do hate the lag that the drive by wire design in the TL. I owned a 2nd Gen TLS which was a drive by throttle design so there is no lag and would love to make my 3rd Gen TLS to drive like that again.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Racer

I would possibly be the first to try as long as I could install it myself. If its something that I would have to pay to get installed/uninstalled...it really wouldn't be worth the risk. I really HATE the lag
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
JDM ... NOT !

dude iv had this product for about 5 months now and it never let me down even once. Its so easy to install basically just plugs right in. I honestly love how the cars response after you have this hooked up. Ill try to find A DIY walkthrough and post it up on here. PEOPLE ITS NOT A GIMMICK I WOULDNT TALK SHIT !
Originally Posted by TypeSinNC
I would possibly be the first to try as long as I could install it myself. If its something that I would have to pay to get installed/uninstalled...it really wouldn't be worth the risk. I really HATE the lag
Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
dude iv had this product for about 5 months now and it never let me down even once. Its so easy to install basically just plugs right in. I honestly love how the cars response after you have this hooked up. Ill try to find A DIY walkthrough and post it up on here. PEOPLE ITS NOT A GIMMICK I WOULDNT TALK SHIT !
I'm sure it works as advertised. However, for $300 I would rather just give it more throttle with my foot for the same effect. And it sounds like from Majofo's posts that it's only a few bucks of electronics marked up 1000%.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I read a while back to install the sprint booster, all you need to do is open your hood and find the throttle line. I think it is behind where the OEM strutbar is. A detail illustration will help. But you are right that $300 is a little steep for a piece of plastic that plugs right in. I think it is worthwhile install for a 100 bux.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Former Sponsor

hmm...sounds interesting. I hate the throttle delay. How do you install one of these?
It's pretty simple from the ones we have done so far. I believe it's in the engine bay on the TL. It should only take a few mins to install.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm sure it works as advertised. However, for $300 I would rather just give it more throttle with my foot for the same effect. And it sounds like from Majofo's posts that it's only a few bucks of electronics marked up 1000%.
I know it seems like this would work but the DBW actually limits you from getting 100% full throttle at lower speeds; this piece allows you to get 100% full throttle when you do floor it.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Racer

XLR8...you say you have installed some...what's your first impression? How long are you running the week test period offer?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Excelerate

I know it seems like this would work but the DBW actually limits you from getting 100% full throttle at lower speeds; this piece allows you to get 100% full throttle when you do floor it.
Now that's a bit more interesting. I still don't want the artificial throttle enhancement but if they made a cheaper version that allowed full throttle from the get go I might be interested.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I would just run a throttle cable to my pedal problem solved =P. But I have to agree that the price itself is kinda steep for what it is.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

well i tightened my throttle cable that goes from the pedal to the DBW-module or whatever u call it , anyways it was a little bit lose for my taste and now that i tightened it up a bit, the car is so much more responsive. Now with that having installed and if it actually does improve even more then i would go for it.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
well i tightened my throttle cable that goes from the pedal to the DBW-module or whatever u call it , anyways it was a little bit lose for my taste and now that i tightened it up a bit, the car is so much more responsive. Now with that having installed and if it actually does improve even more then i would go for it.
I wonder if this is the issue some are experiencing. My TL has never had any noticable lag. I hit the gas and I can immediately hear the throttle open even if it takes a brief time for the engine to respond. I can hear the sound in the airbox immediately.

Not my Chevy work truck has an almost dangerous delay.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Racer

That's got me wondering if my cable may be a little loose...My intake isn't immediate when I hit the gas. Its not a HUGE delay, but its not immediate.

Bukva...where do you tighten the cable? I'm a noob when it comes to the TL
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

That's got me wondering if my cable may be a little loose...My intake isn't immediate when I hit the gas. Its not a HUGE delay, but its not immediate.

Bukva...where do you tighten the cable? I'm a noob when it comes to the TL
Keep us up to date if this fixes the delay. I'm curious now.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bump for the guy who made a new post
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Mugen Power

Just ordered one of these for my TSX. I will post updates once it arrives.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dank TSX
Just ordered one of these for my TSX. I will post updates once it arrives.
We have these all in stock. If anyone needs one let me know. I'm anxious to see how well they work.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Mine doesnt have that much of a hesitation honestly. The amount is negligible.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hm...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NAiL05
Mine doesnt have that much of a hesitation honestly. The amount is negligible.
Mine does not have hesitation. I can't say not at all, but I had a chance to drive '08 TL with about 10k mi and I think I know what you guys are talking about - hesitation. That car was slow fro some reason. No responce when I try to accelarate.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Racer

I'm curious how this works especially after riding in my boys M3. The sport button changes the throttle response, and any little movement on the peddle makes the car a lot more aggressive and responsive. You all think this will work similar?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM
JDM ... NOT !

I dont get it why no body listens to me !!! lollll I HAVE IT .. HAD IT FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS .. THIS IS FRIKKIN gREAT !!! GIVE IT A TRY you will all be amazed. Here in Toronto at a shop called JRP they actually let you come in hook it up to your car ( takes minutes to install) and let you go for a drive. If you like it buy it if not they take it out no cost or anything. Totally worth the buy. Buy I do suggest you buy from XLR8 hes offering it cheaper then anywhere I seen. DONT FORGET IM THE ORIGINAL GUY WHO DID THIS ON HIS TL BEFORE EVEN THE CAI !!!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

hmm seems like a nice mod... but more for those who have already fully bolted up and just another excuse to spend money xP but yeahs, i am interested in that 100% throttle at the lightest touch, but how does mpg suffer for this?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I dont get it why no body listens to me !!! lollll I HAVE IT .. HAD IT FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS .. THIS IS FRIKKIN gREAT !!! GIVE IT A TRY you will all be amazed. Here in Toronto at a shop called JRP they actually let you come in hook it up to your car ( takes minutes to install) and let you go for a drive. If you like it buy it if not they take it out no cost or anything. Totally worth the buy. Buy I do suggest you buy from XLR8 hes offering it cheaper then anywhere I seen. DONT FORGET IM THE ORIGINAL GUY WHO DID THIS ON HIS TL BEFORE EVEN THE CAI !!!
Maybe it was your earlier post in which you said: "Even if it only gives you a feeling that your car is faster, believe me it is totally worth it."
Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

GARY TL S

Where is JRP Locate in toronto?

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster??