Notice any cons from rear muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Notice any cons from rear muffler delete?

I've already searched to no avail. I think I will be doing a rear muffler delete this weekend and was wondering if anyone that has done the same has experienced any major cons they had to rectify? Any noticeable loss of back pressure or torque? Is it the resonator delete that really has to do with loss of back pressure?

Just trying to get this done and make sure it's safe for the vehicle.

PS: Safe to not have straight pipe to replace them right away? TIA!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
this link may help you out -
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...1811-a-589747/
Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Wasn't looking to remove the resonator, but thanks anyway!

I had trouble finding someone on here and YouTube with JUST a rear muffler delete, NOTHING ELSE, still have the mid muffler and the resonator; so I'd like to emphasize a bit on the sound I hear (without a sound clip). The shop that cut them for me says it sounds like a "sports car" now. I have to say I agree. It's not loud or obnoxious at all. Just more sound basically. Sounds like a v6 sports car with a CAI, if that makes any sense. Thinking about removing the mid and leaving the resonator; just don't want it to be crazy loud. Going to try to find some sound clips.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Okay, so now I obviously want louder. Thinking of leaving the rears deleted, installing straight pipe, replacing the mid muffler with a hi perf muffler and leaving the resonator.

Any thoughts? (yes, I'm leaving the stock resonator)

We all know the mid muffler is smaller than the rears. Is there a beneficial reason as to why it is specifically smaller? Think there'd be back pressure/loss of power issues by me installing a bit larger (aftermarket) muffler there?

TIA!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Mufflers and resonators are to silence sound.
think of the origin of the word.... Muffler....To muffle ......Resonator ....Resonate....... To be filled with deep bass.

So, in other words removing and straight piping them will make your car sound like ass.

Back pressure isn't even in play here
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
Mufflers and resonators are to silence sound.
think of the origin of the word.... Muffler....To muffle ......Resonator ....Resonate....... To be filled with deep bass.

So, in other words removing and straight piping them will make your car sound like ass.

Back pressure isn't even in play here
You must not have read my post thoroughly. The only thing I would/will be straight piping is where the rear mufflers were located. I do not plan to remove the stock resonator at all nor completely get rid of the mid muffler, but replace it with a high performance muffler.

Also, how is back pressure not in play? The shop that is doing the work for me specifically mentioned that I should keep the resonator so I don't alter the back pressure to a noticeable degree.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^you are correct, I did not read your original post.
your plan to replace it with a performance one is good.

Also, how is back pressure not in play? The shop that is doing the work for me specifically mentioned that I should keep the resonator so I don't alter the back pressure to a noticeable degree.
the origin of the word is resonate. which means to fill with deep reverberating sound.

if you replace it with a straight pipe, you wont lose anything! you will gain LOTS of noise!

Last edited by justnspace; 01-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
What back pressure? You are not creating any restrictions to cause back pressure. All you are doing is changing the rear mufflers to "high" performance mufflers; altering sound.

Not sure why you think you would lose torque as all you are doing is altering the sound of your stock exhaust.

You will be fine.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
What back pressure? You are not creating any restrictions to cause back pressure. All you are doing is changing the rear mufflers to "high" performance mufflers; altering sound.

Not sure why you think you would lose torque as all you are doing is altering the sound of your stock exhaust.

You will be fine.
I would be replacing the MID muffler with a hi-perf one. The rears are deleted and will be replaced with straight pipe.

Thanks for the input, guys! Going to go through with it. :3
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeperTL
Wasn't looking to remove the resonator, but thanks anyway!

I had trouble finding someone on here and YouTube with JUST a rear muffler delete, NOTHING ELSE, still have the mid muffler and the resonator; so I'd like to emphasize a bit on the sound I hear (without a sound clip). The shop that cut them for me says it sounds like a "sports car" now. I have to say I agree. It's not loud or obnoxious at all. Just more sound basically. Sounds like a v6 sports car with a CAI, if that makes any sense. Thinking about removing the mid and leaving the resonator; just don't want it to be crazy loud. Going to try to find some sound clips.
didn't check the link huh

I posted it to help give you some direction - if you click on it, it gives you a breakdown of the "stages" of exhaust with some sound clip examples. I know what you were saying and trying to do, but having some base ideas of components also helps.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boosejars
didn't check the link huh

I posted it to help give you some direction - if you click on it, it gives you a breakdown of the "stages" of exhaust with some sound clip examples. I know what you were saying and trying to do, but having some base ideas of components also helps.
I had read that thread before starting this one. No one in that thread was really going for what I was going for and none of the "stages" really interest me.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

On a side note though, considering PCD > stock resonator > glasspack muffler (replacement of MID muffler) > straight pipe.

Still debating on the glasspack or whether or not to leave the OEM mid muffler. Don't want it obnoxiously loud.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeperTL
On a side note though, considering PCD > stock resonator > glasspack muffler (replacement of MID muffler) > straight pipe.

Still debating on the glasspack or whether or not to leave the OEM mid muffler. Don't want it obnoxiously loud.
that will be obnoxious most likely. my car just has the precats and rear mufflers, everything else is deleted underneath and its got a pretty loud but deep tone especially on cold start. the precats actually do a good deal of sound reduction, without them and just a glasspack and resonator i would think its going to be very loud
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Get a long tube j-pipe (it deletes the 3rd cat), remove the mid-muffler and replace the resonator with a Magnaflow or Dynomax. You'll have a deeper idle, a nice growl when you get on it and very quiet at steady freeway speeds. And the J-pipe will give you more gains than anything cat-back will.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scottwax:
EvilVirus (01-24-2017), Midnight Mystery (11-04-2020)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Right now I have stock precats > resonator > cherry bomb glasspack > straight pipe. Sounds almost exactly like I wanted to, I love it! I say almost because there's a bit of rasp every now and then when revving at low RPMs. But other than that, it's got a nice, subtle, deep idle. Really sounds good from 2k-3k RPM and anything above really. & of course quite when I'm just cruising, which is good for my 2 year old.

I'm DEFINITELY getting the j-pipe, just trying to space things out because I just bought wheels & tires. When I install the j-pipe, I'm thinking of installing two Magnaflow mufflers a client of mine is giving me for free!

EDIT: What?!? I can edit posts now!? Anyway; yeah, I agree, PCD would be too loud on this current set-up. & now that I've thought about it more, if I do go through with modding the pre-cats, it'd probably be HFPC (smell of PCD is a major con for me).

Last edited by sleeperTL; 01-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator Delete

I just had the same convo with someone else, I removed the resonator and had a straight pipe replace it and it has the gurgle like a 350z and sounds way better too , I feel the car breaths better and feel lighter, it was cheap and I like it, lmk if you need a sound clip