My review and write up on Mobil 1 atf VS. Redline D4+Racing with Video comparisons

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My review and write up on Mobil 1 atf VS. Redline D4+Racing with Video comparisons

My car has 52k miles on it. I bought it when it only had 14k miles, When it hit 17k miles I supplied the Mobil 1 atf (12 Quarts) and took it to oil shop and had them TRANSFER the fluids without draining (btw HUGE difference in shifting times over stock). At the time i didnt know people did a 1x3 drain and refill, i also didnt know there was a Magnet on the drain plug that grabbed debree and metal shavings, so at about 30k miles i did a 1x3 and im really glad i did because the magnet was CAKED Solid with metal shavings and Debree at least a 1/8" deep all the way around the magnet if not maybe even 1/4" in depth. So now my at 52k Miles I decided to change my ATF fluid and drain and Flush out the whole system again with 12 quarts of Redline D4 i did a 1x3 4 times, followed up by a 1x3 of Redline Racing ATF. I managed to do all the drain and refills in 3.5 hours with each of them having a drive around the block and shifting gears numerous times and getting upto speed.

Anyways i was surprised to see that my drain plug was once caked up with debree on my magnet, but not nearly as bad as the first time i did it. Yes i drive my car probably harder than most so its to be expected, but glad i do these drain and refills just to put fresh fluid in and clean the drain plug. I remember reading from IHC or Accurate that i should and will see less Debree on these plugs. From here on out i will probably alternate 1x3 with Redline D4 and a 1x3 with Redline Racing ATF, every 10k miles.

I can tell you that there is defiantly a difference in smoothness and quickness from going From Mobil 1 ATF to Redline D4 + Racing. I'm really happy and i do not have lunge shifts or "hard shifts" I can really tell the difference. I TRIED documenting my shifting response with my MOBIL 1 ATF with my cellphone before i did the change to Redline, but i never viewed the footage before i swapped fluids to the Redline. Had i known that the Video was kinda screwy i would have redone it with a different camera. I learned my lesson and with the Redline i got "better footage" but in some instances the video is screwed... Its hard to film with one hand and drive and shift with the other, but i was on back roads, so its all good...I filmed this with hope of others to Visually and Audible hear the difference and quickness in the cars shifting with the two types of fluids.

Anyways here is the pic of my plug at the change of fluid with 52k miles and before and after videos.

Mobil 1 ATF

Redline D4
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
sorry to tell you this but your trans will blow up eventually.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM
KingKong_Dav

there was a recall on mobil 1 syn atf. no longer on the self at most part retailers. and redline atf, everyone that used this atf eventually said their trans started slipping if not a little but always. ask anyone that uses redline. iam trying to help you not flaming you
Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone is a very easy statement to disprove as it claims 100% of all people

That is an impossible metric that will not occur in life... So if you are going to make a claim like that, at least make up a percentage lol
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Thanks for the vids! It really helps to illustrate the differences, the sound helps as well.

In both vids, the 2-3 could be better..... Maybe. It's hard to tell if it's a slow 2-3 shift or if it's shifting and quickly locking the converter. It's clearly locked already on the 3-4 shift so that might be what it is. If it's just the converter locking, it looks great. All shifts look really crisp. You should get many trouble free miles out of it. I'll probably look at these again when I'm not so tired.

As usual, ignore the troll. The vast majority of Redline users, myself included have enjoyed better than new shifts well past 100k miles.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Just curious, did you replace your 3rd/4th gear solenoids as well?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
sorry to tell you this but your trans will blow up eventually.
^ any proof to this or are you just telling us?

there was a recall on mobil 1 syn atf. no longer on the self at most part retailers. and redline atf, everyone that used this atf eventually said their trans started slipping if not a little but always. ask anyone that uses redline. iam trying to help you not flaming you
That recall was in 2010 and was because Mobil 1 didn't properly label the bottles thus making it illegal to sell the bottles. Also if you read the OP's post, he had put in Mobil 1 ATF at 17K and is NOW switching to Redline D4 + Racing mix...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
kingkong dav seriously needs to be banned. All his posts are troll posts and nothing educational or helpful for anyone. He's had so many threads locked and closed because of the stupid comments and accusations he makes

and for the OP, glad you switched and noticed a difference man. Your doing your tranny a good favor
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
mods please ban kingkong_dav. What gives? That guy is clearly a troll at finest.

Hey OP can you answer Champ question?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by csmeance
^ any proof to this or are you just telling us?

That recall was in 2010 and was because Mobil 1 didn't properly label the bottles thus making it illegal to sell the bottles. Also if you read the OP's post, he had put in Mobil 1 ATF at 17K and is NOW switching to Redline D4 + Racing mix...
of course there is proof, on this very website. i went on problem and fixes and found a dozen of ppl that were replacing transmission at a very low mileage. 70kish. i asked them what atf they were using and they all said redline. there, proof. iam trying to help you guys prolong the life of your drivetrain and iam not trying to troll. if you guys are made of money and not scared of blowing up mechanical parts, go for it and use the redline. iam here to help.
mobil1 syn atf was recalled, perhaps it was a label because i think it was superior.

there is nothing better for performance and fuel efficiency if you use dealer dw1. iam a actual working tech and iam not here to correct you guys but to guide u to the right direction
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
kingkong dav seriously needs to be banned. All his posts are troll posts and nothing educational or helpful for anyone. He's had so many threads locked and closed because of the stupid comments and accusations he makes

and for the OP, glad you switched and noticed a difference man. Your doing your tranny a good favor

why ban me? Iam here to help. you just join there banwagon when i helped you myself. remember your low response o2??? i helped u figure out what one was bank2. rememeber now? like i said iam here to guide you guys along the way.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by cokorote
mods please ban kingkong_dav. What gives? That guy is clearly a troll at finest.

Hey OP can you answer Champ question?

i dont troll. you see the thing is you guys see things as a motorsport enthusiast when i see things as a mechanic. i like speed myself but there r limitataions on how far you can go. iam here to either help you or in some eyes hate you. but iam all good here. i just like to digest off of alll this
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Team Owner

of course there is proof, on this very website. i went on problem and fixes and found a dozen of ppl that were replacing transmission at a very low mileage. 70kish. i asked them what atf they were using and they all said redline. there, proof. iam trying to help you guys prolong the life of your drivetrain and iam not trying to troll. if you guys are made of money and not scared of blowing up mechanical parts, go for it and use the redline. iam here to help.
mobil1 syn atf was recalled, perhaps it was a label because i think it was superior.

there is nothing better for performance and fuel efficiency if you use dealer dw1. iam a actual working tech and iam not here to correct you guys but to guide u to the right direction
I sincerely hope you are not a mechanic, not even the oil change boy. Poor, poor unsuspecting customers. For example, do you really believe a-spec springs make the steering wheel harder to turn at parking lot speeds as you told Justin? Be careful how you answer because in one scenario you're a troll, in the other scenario you know nothing about cars.

We all know you're not a mechanic. Several people mentioned banning you so you're attempting to act serious but that game only works for so long.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 AM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I sincerely hope you are not a mechanic, not even the oil change boy. Poor, poor unsuspecting customers. For example, do you really believe a-spec springs make the steering wheel harder to turn at parking lot speeds as you told Justin? Be careful how you answer because in one scenario you're a troll, in the other scenario you know nothing about cars.

We all know you're not a mechanic. Several people mentioned banning you so you're attempting to act serious but that game only works for so long.
haha i hate cars ur a stand up act. i dont care if you dont belive me. hhaha no kidding i dont care. what do you want me to tell him, his rack and pinion is bad? is ps pump is bad? what do you want me to say? your uncomparable to me.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 AM
KingKong_Dav

i hate cars, i dont buy all these tools just to look at them. i dont use craftsman household tools. i use only professional tech tools. get real kid, go to bed, your bugging
Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 AM
KingKong_Dav

my wrenches are my girls.i never seen a average guy even have a set of these. hint *he must be a professional * i never seen a oil change boy use snapon wrenches, have you? iam full blown mechanic not a online mechanic like you. craftsman is prolly your brand of choice.??righh?

OMFG, it is a snapon box in front of a porchse 4s. WOW! (belongs to my coworker. you see i hate cars, this is not a lube center, it is full blown auto service. iam telling you guys iam here to help, not to troll.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
So let me get this straight, just because you have "craftsman" tools you know what you're doing? It is almost like saying you have a Porsche GT3 and you're the best driver on the planet.

The ignorance in your post is the problem. I do the same at times, but the information you post in threads are all out of your ass.

If you ACTUALLY did any reading, NO, neither ATF caused any problems. Some people SPECULATED like paperboy thinking it was Redline that caused his transmission to die, but it wasn't the case. He was already f'ked before he even started. Some people blamed the sensors to kill there transmission, but, in actuality, they installed the sensors in the wrong slot (3rd in 4th and vice-versa). csmeance already explained your Mobil 1 theory, and the flaring issue with to little FM was solved with a mixture of D4.

You always derail threads and make others to do so also. I don't care if you're a "master-tech", because anyone can be one.

Sorry to derail thread (OP, MODS, & People interested), but I wish you banned-- you make more post that are troll/incorrect then ones you make correct (a LOT more)
Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Home Of The Gemini Method

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
iam telling you guys iam here to help, not to troll.
The best way you can help is to not say ANYTHING at all. Do us all a favor and go take a nap on the 405 or 710.

I have been using D4 for well over 40,000 miles now and I have ZERO problems, ZERO!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
No I think its actually because he has snap on he must know what he is doing.........Its those of us who wrench with lowly Craftsman tools that have no idea. Except perhaps we would prefer to spend half as much and have an equal warranty. Tools do not make the mechanic. knowledge and experience are much more important.

King K, insightful observations and critical problem solving are great ways to contribute to this type of forum, unfortunately many of your posts fall short. Hopefully its just something that is being lost somehow in the language translation and is not intentional on your part.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Just curious, did you replace your 3rd/4th gear solenoids as well?
No I haven't yet but will do probably later this year. Its on the list Like others said Acurazine is breaking the bank Damn I love my TL-S probably more than my wife only because she puts a damper on my Modding. When i was single i was putting a lot more money into it, now she has the modding almost on lock down!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

my wrenches are my girls.i never seen a average guy even have a set of these. hint *he must be a professional * i never seen a oil change boy use snapon wrenches, have you? iam full blown mechanic not a online mechanic like you. craftsman is prolly your brand of choice.??righh?

OMFG, it is a snapon box in front of a porchse 4s. WOW! (belongs to my coworker. you see i hate cars, this is not a lube center, it is full blown auto service. iam telling you guys iam here to help, not to troll.
I was an oil changer with Snap-ons in my late teens and had a nice set of Snap-ons when I stopped rebuilding transmissions in my early-mid 20s that I used at home until they were stolen.

Whether or not you change oil doesn't really matter. You give terrible advice, advice that's more harmful than good. When I'm not sure of something I let people know that I'm not sure. You suggest all kinds of things that I can only hope are coming from a troll. It's good to know you're a "full blown mechanic" though. The part that bothers me is not that you're talking trash, it's the chance that you might really be a mechanic. Giving bad advice online is one thing, myself or some of the other members are usually there to straighten it out but who checks your work on real cars?

I still think you're a troll. If you're a real mechanic I actually feel a little bad.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Royal purple the best in my opinion !!
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craftsman tools

Lol you guys make me laugh so hard. What's wrong with craftsman? My grandpa owned a racing custom fabrication shop for over 50 years and he has a ton of craftsman tools. It's not the brand of tools, but how you use them. I've been a mechanic for 15 years now and I just use whatever gets the job done, I'm not picky. As for this 1x3 drain business I would be very careful. Believe it or not, the makers of your car actually know what they are doing. If they wanted you to change all of the fluid at once they would put a drain plug on the torque converter so that you could. On AT's going from too dirty of a fluid to a super clean fluid too suddenly can sometimes cause issues. And never do a 'flush' unless you like the idea of having to buy a new transmission. Cheers!