'06 Acura TL AT Turbo answer

Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Acura TL AT Turbo answer

So I've read hundreds of threads and have put hours into this and I keep coming to dead ends and so reading so much from everyone I just really need to know, I need a straight forward answer from people who have true knowledge on this and not the (Google it) response.... Can you turbo the 06 acura tl with an AT? Ik J&R is no longer existing or the ecu is rare and cost an arm and leg but could I use a mega squirt to tune it and if so what's the route I should go with? I want to get about 350 to 400hp, seriously I'd be happy with 350 and no I won't supercharge... I could take the 5G and just put it as a down payment on an evo or wrx if that is the case.... but I would really like to turbo this car!!!! Can someone please help me on this journey or atleast give me the straight answer to question.... Thank you for reading and for your help!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
You can swap a 2007-2008 Type-S ECU and use Hondata FlashPro for tuning
The transmission is going to be the weak spot it 350HP I would recommend selling your car and getting a 2007-2008 manual transmission or Type-S Auto then the flash pro works without a ECU swap and it has a much stronger transmission
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You haven't done enough research.

There is no production made turbo kit for the 3rd gen tl. To understand what it takes to go boosted in the TL involves A LOT of time and research. Part of that time and research, also involves a good chunk of money, which MOST at this point, wont spend..

To FABRICATE and obtain QUALITY parts to do a turbo will set you back at a minimum, $5,000.00. To properly use Hondata you would need a ECU from an 07-08 base model with the key / ignition and adapter harness. Parts alone are roughly $1,200 if not more. To find a shop to tune the car correctly can range from $500-$1,000 easily.

Not just slapping a turbo on a car, it's the supporting mods that must be done also. You're not going to Turbo the TL while using a stock J-pipe or exhaust system. I'm aware on the turbo setup the j-pipe will be custom. Let's talk about the comptech supercharger.

Yes, less than 5K and is made to go on a stock TL. Not many will suggest you run the comptech blower in stock form because, supporting mods are a must. You're going to drop another 2-3K in supporting mods *IF* you're completely stock. The biggest issue is the head soak. Some will tell you go meth, others will tell you to figure out another solution for under hood temps. With Hondata, you can also tune the supercharger and not have to deal with the comptech ACM.

Moral of the post,

If you're not willing to spend 5-9K, boosted life in the TL isn't for you. Like always, maintenance over mods. If your TL isn't up to handle the boost life (compression is weak, trans is worn ect) it would be a waste to do so.
teh CL (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
You are not going to be happy with the bill and I hope you have a second car because you will run into issues. Look at my turbo cheap thread... I spend around 5k (just to get the turbo and stuff on the car, not including flashpro, tuning, water/meth, and other stuff) because issue came up and I had to pay someone to fab new intercooler piping, down piping, and the manifold pipe that I currently had is pretty shitty and sits below the front subframe.
teh CL (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lol why bother, spend so much money to eventually ruin the car on the long run due to the excessive wear and tear and not even get that much power from it all anyway.

Best thing to do is to save the money you're gonna spend on all that, sell the tl, use collective money to buy a sportier vehicle.

At the end of the day you can do what ever you want but i just dont see how it's worth it.

You'll be a bit faster but lots of cars will still smoke you & its a TL so handling is still sub par.. but like i said, do you man. I know you dont wanna supercharge but it's probably an easier route.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Well thank you guys for giving me a decent answer, I love the car but I don't see the gains for some reason either way I go, SC or Turbo, I think imma just stance it and use it stock and get the years out of the stock engine and save it and sell it when it's time for a evo or wrx sti. You guys have help me pretty much make up my mind, I don't have a problem dumping money into a car idk I'll get gain from but I don't see it with the tl, guess it's just a show car more than anything lol. I read you forum thisaznboi88 and I can see you got deep into the engine with your mods list! So I'm guessing you're still not done? But definitely I'll just stance, look, have it look nice and sell it when I have the money saved for something bigger and better.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Cliff notes:

If you wanna play, you gotta pay
Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teh CL
Cliff notes:

If you wanna play, you gotta pay
That's fine but to dump money into a car that won't give me the right gains that I want, might as well look else where, love my tl but I rather get longevity out of the engine and look nice plus I can just gave for an evo or wrx then I'd have no problem paying to play lol
Old 05-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
Orrrr, you can contact Andy Gerzina (gerzand). He has the Rotrex Supercharger Kits (Only con is no A/C ) . Here is his post from the Acura TL Generation 3 FB Page:

Hi Everyone. As some of you TL enthusiasts may know, I designed (and sell) custom Rotrex Supercharger kit(s) for our 2004-2008 Acura TL and 2007-2008 TL-S!

Please read all about it below. If you have additional questions, I will do my best to get back to you in a timely manner if youd like to message me or briefly ask them here.

There are 6 different bundles of the kit available to order, which ship within 3 weeks from date of order. These kits are also referred to as "Stages" based on your desired power level, fuel type (gasonline or e85 ethanol), and budget. Keep in mind that some kits may be more expensive because of their ability to run e85 ethanol which has properties similar to race fuels but with bigger fuel delivery requirements. I recommend up to 425whp for stock blocks on 93 octane gasoline or 475whp when runming e85 ethanol as your fuel of choice. If you install aftermarket pistons and valve springs, this number can be raised to 550whp and with the addition of aftermarket rods, to 600+ whp. Please stick with the "Stage" or bundle which fits these limits.

All kits are fabricated by me personally, and are designed to install with very little modification to the vehicle aside from some trimming of a couple of brackets and non-externally visible bumper plastics.

This kit requires the removal of the AC unit in the engine bay (there is unfortunately no feasible way around this). The car still retains cabin heat and all other functionality. There are numerous benefits of this kit over a turbo setup for the TL drivetrain. These include, but are not limited to: no increased engine bay heat, no heat soaking from boost related components, no need for meth/water injection, linear torque progression which is friendly on transmission components, no increase in exhaust backpressure which results in proper scavenging of exhaust gases and less heat propagated to the coolant system, and more. This kit also adds little to no weight to the TL, since AC components removed weigh as much as the supercharger kit.

Let me know if you would like to have a conversation with further questions that you may have. Email can be a good tool, but often times a phone call works best to start things off and make a proper introduction and discuss what I can offer you in regards to reliable power and torque from a properly designed and quality-made kit. If youre genuinely interested in making an investment in your car for amazing horsepower and torque, get in touch with me.

Here are some links where you can see some pictures/videos of the unit in action:
http://www.instagram.com/gerzand
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-809481/page2/
http://www.youtube.com/gerzand
Regards,
Andy

Bundle #1)
J-Series Rotrex "Stage 1 Full Kit". (Up to 425whp for safety/limited by stock internals on 93 & 110 octane gasoline). This kit is NOT e85 ethanol compatible. Please see Stage 2.5 & 3.5 kits for e85 ethanol compatibility. With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $4650 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex J-series Bracket.
1x Rotrex C38-81 Supercharger Unit.
1x Supercharger Drive Pulley.
1x Walbro 255lph Gasoline ONLY Fuel Pump.
1x 560cc Acura RDX Fuel Injector Set w/Pigtails. 560cc rated @ 4bar/58psi.
1x Intercooler & Aluminum Piping Kit.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3" Inlet Intake Filter
1x Supercharger/Serpentine Belt.
1x Intake Manifold Check Valve Kit.
1x Synapse Blow-off Valve.
1x Synapse 50mm (boost controlling) Wastegate (optional +$350 not automatically included in kit pricing above)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bundle #2)
Rotrex "Stage 1.5 Full Kit". (Up to 425whp for safety/limited by stock internals on 93 & 110 octane gasoline or 475whp e85 ethanol). The inclusion of e85 ethanol compatible fuel system components contributes the the higher cost of this kit as compare to the Bundle #3) Stage 2 Full Kit below. With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $6,300 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex C38-81 Supercharger Unit.
1x Aeromotive 340lph Gasoline & e85 compatible Fuel Pump.
1x 970cc Injector set w/Pigtails. 970cc rated @ 3bar/43.5psi.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3" Inlet Intake Filter.
1x Synapse 50mm (boost controlling) Wastegate
1x Billet Aluminum Fuel Rail Set.
1x Russell Braided Fuel Supply Line & Fittings.
1x Russell Braided Fuel Return Line & Fittings.
1x Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator.
1x Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Gauge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bundle # 3)
J-Series Rotrex "Stage 2 Full Kit" (Up to 550whp with built engine internals on 93 & 110 octane gasoline). This kit is NOT e85 ethanol compatible. Please see Stage 2.5 & 3.5 kits for e85 Ethanol compatibility. With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $5,500 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex C38-91 Supercharger Unit.
1x 340LPH Gasoline & e85 compatible Fuel Pump.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3" Inlet Intake Filter
1x Supercharger/Serpentine belt.
1x Intake Manifold Check Valve kit.
Bundle # 4)
J-Series Rotrex "Stage 2.5 Full Kit" (up to 550whp with aftermarket forged pistons and aftermarket performance valvesprings on 93 & 110 octane gasoline or only 475whp e85 ethanol capable due to -6an diameter fuel lines. See Bundle #6 Stage 3.5 Kit if you plan on making over 450whp on e85 ethanol. With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $6,500 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex C38-91 Supercharger Unit.
1x 340LPH Gasoline & e85 Compatible Fuel Pump.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3" Inlet Intake Filter.
1x 6an Russell Braided Fuel Supply Line & Fittings.
1x 6an Russell Braided Fuel Return Line & Fittings.
Bundle #5)
J-Series Rotrex "Stage 3 Full Kit" (650whp with built engine internals such as aftermarket forged pistons, performance valvesprings, aftermarket forged rods on 93 & 110 octane gasoline or only 475whp e85 ethanol capable due to -6an diameter fuel lines. See Bundle #10 Stage 3.5 Kit if you plan on making over 475whp on e85 ethanol. With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $6,995 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex C38-92 Supercharger Unit.
1x 255 or 340LPH Gasoline & e85 Compatible Fuel Pump.
1x 1300cc injector set w/Pigtails.1300cc rated @ 3bar/43.5psi.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Fluid Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3.5" Inlet Intake Filter
1x 6an Russell Braided Fuel Supply Line & Fittings.
1x 6an Russell Braided Fuel Return Line & Fittings
Bundle #6)
J-Series Rotrex "Stage 3.5 Full Kit" (up to 650whp with built engine internals such as aftermarket forged pistons and rods on 93 and 110 octane gasoline & e85 ethanol). With the exception of RV6 Precat Deletes and a tuning solution such as Hondata Flashpro, this kit includes everything required to supercharge your engine.
Price: $7,550 shipped
Parts List:
1x Rotrex C38-92 Supercharger Unit.
1x 460LPH Gasoline & e85 Compatible Fuel Pump.
1x 1300cc Injector set w/Pigtails. 1300cc rated @ 3bar/43.5psi.
1x Silicone Coupler Kit.
1x Rotrex Fluid Cooler Kit.
1x K&N 3.5" Inlet Intake Filter
1x 8an Russell Braided Fuel Supply Line & Fittings.
1x 6an Russell Braided Fuel Return Line & Fittings

Last edited by mrkingstonvi; 05-22-2016 at 06:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrkingstonvi:
EvilVirus (05-24-2016), teh CL (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

wow $$$ but good stuff.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Still looking at the list even if I went with the stock one, I'm still looking about 7 to 8k to get my car to the 350 hp area.... about 5 to 6k for the kit but quoting the other guy above, about 1200 if not more to then have to swap my ecu and pray everything works out by doing that and then tuning.... it's a nice kit, I like his work but I'm guessing I won't be play hard with the TL except the power it has now which is still nice till I get something I can really tune and play hard with, without having to put half of the money I paid for the car into it... I would never recover that money either.... just sucks but it's ok, thanks everyone for there inputs and would still like to hear what others have to say. Thank you all!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob_TL
Still looking at the list even if I went with the stock one, I'm still looking about 7 to 8k to get my car to the 350 hp area.... about 5 to 6k for the kit but quoting the other guy above, about 1200 if not more to then have to swap my ecu and pray everything works out by doing that and then tuning.... it's a nice kit, I like his work but I'm guessing I won't be play hard with the TL except the power it has now which is still nice till I get something I can really tune and play hard with, without having to put half of the money I paid for the car into it... I would never recover that money either.... just sucks but it's ok, thanks everyone for there inputs and would still like to hear what others have to say. Thank you all!
wise move. Don't be dumb like this guy
Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
wise move. Don't be dumb like this guy
There is no wise move with this stuff. It's never an investment financially and I think for most of us, the challenge is the fun part. Once it's all done then what? If you have the means, then you either keep going or move to something else.

Nothing dumb about how you approached things. If you looked back on my history, it's full of dumbness. But learned along the way and having fun for the most part.

If I were to do it all over again on this platform, I would definitely go with Andy's setup. Different type of power but should be easier to tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by KN_TL:
EvilVirus (05-24-2016), thisaznboi88 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
One thing I have learned is that there is a good bit of variation from car to car even with the same mods. I am using a more conservative tune and have made less power than others and had different issue to address. Cali has crappy gas and the earlier TL's had a more aggressive timing but so many factors effect how a car will run. I will say that a 6 cylinder turbo is a lot of fun and a whole different experience from 4 cylinder. I see 4 cylinder guys straining to get into boost and up to speed, where in the v6, boost comes in so fast that it lowers the load on the engine and drops the car out of boost.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

yeah this going turbo has been one hell of a experience for me. First get a 2nd car if you want to mod your main car. Sometimes things don't go as plan. Sometimes you have to mod the car for the turbo to work instead of modding the turbo to make it fit on your car. etc etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hi speed
One thing I have learned is that there is a good bit of variation from car to car even with the same mods. I am using a more conservative tune and have made less power than others and had different issue to address. Cali has crappy gas and the earlier TL's had a more aggressive timing but so many factors effect how a car will run. I will say that a 6 cylinder turbo is a lot of fun and a whole different experience from 4 cylinder. I see 4 cylinder guys straining to get into boost and up to speed, where in the v6, boost comes in so fast that it lowers the load on the engine and drops the car out of boost.
So you're actually boosted? On what yr and how did you go about it? Roughly how much did you pay to get it going? I'd probably get a little beater to drive around while I'm working on the turbo but I just don't know if its worth droping so much money into it now... but it's really go to hear all this information!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
So you're actually boosted? On what yr and how did you go about it? Roughly how much did you pay to get it going? I'd probably get a little beater to drive around while I'm working on the turbo but I just don't know if its worth droping so much money into it now... but it's really go to hear all this information!
lol all the replies in this thread says; LOTS of money was dumped into these builds.

more than $10k.

ask yourself; can you see yourself dropping more than $10k into just engine building and turbo building alone..
you'll need a second car.
etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
You should go out an do some reading. There are 4 of us actively posting to this forum who are turbo'd, one who is making big time HP with an SC and others who have done it and moved on or still running and not active here.

For the most part, we all got into it on stock motors. Within a period of time, some shorter, some longer, we all broke something internally.

The 3 of us who broke something are putting BIG time money into rebuilding. I am scared to even go back and look. The initial cost of the kit was $8K? Since then at least another $15K has gone into my adventure.

This is not the platform for slap it on and go. We are still battling detonation issues that is tearing up even forged parts.
The following 5 users liked this post by KN_TL:
EvilVirus (05-24-2016), justnspace (05-24-2016), sockr1 (05-24-2016), teh CL (05-24-2016), thisaznboi88 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
It seems you want a 4banger, AWD turbo car. For 2WD You would be better getting a Ford Focus or Fiesta ST. a couple mods and you have a very fast car, that's pretty well sorted out. EVO's are awesome but be prepared to work on it and Subarus just lack refinement, it's a cool platform but ehh the interior leaves a lot to be desired, good winter hoon machine.
EvilVirus (05-26-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^^

MK7 Golf R DSG FTW

Intake $450
Catted DP $600-1200
APR Stage 2 ECU flash $800
APR TCU flash $700

For less than 3k you've got a car that runs 11.7-11.8 @ 115 mph and will make C7 Vette owners cry from the light to well into triple digits.

And if you wanna get really frisky, APR has a stage 3 kit with larger turbo for $5500 that will flirt with the 10's.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
You can swap a 2007-2008 Type-S ECU and use Hondata FlashPro for tuning
The transmission is going to be the weak spot it 350HP I would recommend selling your car and getting a 2007-2008 manual transmission or Type-S Auto then the flash pro works without a ECU swap and it has a much stronger transmission
Hondata is not an option on the 04 - 06 autos. Only tuning option is MS3/JnR.
EvilVirus (05-26-2016)