Very Detailed install of VIPER 5901 with Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
and with your hack, you still have to shift to neutral and put on the e-brake, correct? So you're saying that having to punching a button on the remote is unrealistic?
Well E-brake and neutral is first nature for me so unless i'm parking on a hill this is hardly even a conscious thought.

There are also a few more steps to activating (MTS) like opening your door before pressing the brake, & you have to arm the system when its all said and done for it to activate. I don't always want to arm my alarm & I constantly get in and out of my car at work without starting.

Maybe the right word is inconvenient? Regardless all extra steps I don't have to deal with anymore!

Here is the procedure for anyone interested

" Manual Transmission Start (MTS mode)
When installed into a manual transmission vehicle, the system requires that the MTS mode is properly set when parking. If MTS mode is not properly set or is defeated after being properly set the system will not start the engine.
1. With the engine running, set the parking brake and leave the engine running. For Pit Stop or Turbo Timer mode (to leave the engine running after arming), open the driver door.
2. Release the foot brake (if pressed during Step 1), or press and release the foot brake anytime. As long as the engine is running there is no time limit to perform this step.
3. Within 20 seconds of foot brake release, press any command button on the remote, after 20 seconds return to Step 2 (For Turbo Timer Mode, press the optional dash mounted activation button or send the Timer Mode command.
4. The parking lights flash 5 times to confirm MTS mode enable and the remote start activates the ignition outputs. The Remote Start LED and On tones play to confirm.
5. Turn Off and remove the key from the ignition switch, the engine remains running.
6. Exit the vehicle, close all the doors and arm the system. © 2011 Directed Electronics. All rights reserved. 31
7. The engine turns off and after a few seconds, the Remote Start LED and Off tones play to confirm. If the door is opened in Step 3 then the engine continues to run."
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555
Well E-brake and neutral is first nature for me so unless i'm parking on a hill this is hardly even a conscious thought.

There are also a few more steps to activating (MTS) like opening your door before pressing the brake, & you have to arm the system when its all said and done for it to activate. I don't always want to arm my alarm & I constantly get in and out of my car at work without starting.

Maybe the right word is inconvenient? Regardless all extra steps I don't have to deal with anymore!

Here is the procedure for anyone interested

" Manual Transmission Start (MTS mode)
When installed into a manual transmission vehicle, the system requires that the MTS mode is properly set when parking. If MTS mode is not properly set or is defeated after being properly set the system will not start the engine.
1. With the engine running, set the parking brake and leave the engine running. For Pit Stop or Turbo Timer mode (to leave the engine running after arming), open the driver door.
2. Release the foot brake (if pressed during Step 1), or press and release the foot brake anytime. As long as the engine is running there is no time limit to perform this step.
3. Within 20 seconds of foot brake release, press any command button on the remote, after 20 seconds return to Step 2 (For Turbo Timer Mode, press the optional dash mounted activation button or send the Timer Mode command.
4. The parking lights flash 5 times to confirm MTS mode enable and the remote start activates the ignition outputs. The Remote Start LED and On tones play to confirm.
5. Turn Off and remove the key from the ignition switch, the engine remains running.
6. Exit the vehicle, close all the doors and arm the system. © 2011 Directed Electronics. All rights reserved. 31
7. The engine turns off and after a few seconds, the Remote Start LED and Off tones play to confirm. If the door is opened in Step 3 then the engine continues to run."
You totally misunderstand. The procedures you list are a one time programming procedure to program the brain for MTS. You do that one time, period.

Once the brain is programmed for MTS (again, this is a one-time setup done when you install the system), activation involves only the additional step of pressing the button on the remote as I've already described...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Writeup.
I bought all the stuff to install this but I did have a question before i started though. I have an Automatic and not sure what the Neutral safety switch does for an automatic or if it is even necessary? And do i just plug the switch straight into the main unit and no other wires needed?