Very Detailed install of VIPER 5901 with Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, but I didn't wanna start up a new thread so here I am .

I just got my Viper 5901 Installed this past Friday (1-28-10) Along with the pkh34 transponder bypass & everything is working well like it should. I didn't notice or have the unlocking of the doors for 5 seconds while you remote started it like some of you guys did, I just notice that the factory alarm disarms when remote starting it but the doors & Viper alarm is still armed. Other than that, I just had the trunk popper & rear defroster hooked up to it. Great alarm/remote starter . Had it on my old car (02 AV6 coupe) for almost two yrs & loved it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so once you install this alarm you wont be able to open your trunk unless you get another module? in addition to the DB-All what would you need for that?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DB-ALL should be all that you need. I just put one in, works great.
Props to JCJC2U for this thread
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
so once you install this alarm you wont be able to open your trunk unless you get another module? in addition to the DB-All what would you need for that?
I just got the pkh34 transponder bypass & had the shop wire up the trunk release + rear defroster.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Slythslyr

thanks...just to clarify, doesnt the DB-all replace the pkh34 and also adds door lock and alarm control? So just that one bypass (DB-all) would be all i need? Which would still open the trunk correct. Sorry just a lil confused want to make sure i dont waste any money...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
thanks...just to clarify, doesnt the DB-all replace the pkh34 and also adds door lock and alarm control? So just that one bypass (DB-all) would be all i need? Which would still open the trunk correct. Sorry just a lil confused want to make sure i dont waste any money...
The are two major modules.

1. a bypass module which mimics the transponder in your key

2. a door-lock interface module which interfaces directly with the car's network system to control OEM alarm disable, door locks, trunk pop, hood.

You can buy these separately or there are some units that combine both: the DB-All is one and the canmax400dei is another.

You don't need a door lock interface unit. You can wire the alarm manually, but this does require several more wire connections and also requires gaining access to the driver's side door panel. Also, without a door lock interface unit, the only way to disable the OEM alarm is to unlock the doors. Therefore, without a door lock interface unit, the viper will unlock the doors to remote start, then relock the doors.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Slythslyr

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
The are two major modules.

1. a bypass module which mimics the transponder in your key

2. a door-lock interface module which interfaces directly with the car's network system to control OEM alarm disable, door locks, trunk pop, hood.

You can buy these separately or there are some units that combine both: the DB-All is one and the canmax400dei is another.

You don't need a door lock interface unit. You can wire the alarm manually, but this does require several more wire connections and also requires gaining access to the driver's side door panel. Also, without a door lock interface unit, the only way to disable the OEM alarm is to unlock the doors. Therefore, without a door lock interface unit, the viper will unlock the doors to remote start, then relock the doors.
Thanks bro!! i sent you a PM
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
VFL
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered a Viper 5902 and DB-all module for my 2004 TL
Going to DIY installation when they get here (Canada)
Hopefully the wire color is the same so I can still use this post as a reference.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Well I have a 5902 coming for my birthday so I need to start looking into the bypass units. If I am reading correctly I could either go with the XK01 & PKH34 or some have mentioned the DBALL has the functionality of both units. My questions is has anyone here actually installed the DBALL in there TL? The reason I as is because while I have heard the name mentioned on several threads I have yet to see someone go forward with the install. Also this review quoted below about the DBALL has me worried.

"This could be a good product and time saving if it works. I am a professional installer and this product has about a 60% working rate. There are so many issues. Will not work for on or around 06 Acura Honda, 05 caravan, jeep, grand caravan. 06 impala 05 Monte Carlo and so many more all around these makes and models. I dub it the db 1/2 meaning it works half the time on half the cars. Even though it says it will. A lot of times it does some things but not others as stated. Careful can down stream harmful data to your automobile. Go vehicle specific bypass."
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
OCD

Also did this DIY ever have images? If so does anyone have them still?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Race Director

Only images are the scans I added for aux functions...IIRC...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Got your PM Roger. I've actually been VERY LAZY and its been raining for about 4 weeks now.. I am installing my 5901 w/ DBALL this weekend. I will let you know. I will take pics also to help everyone out. Also since the new modules have the 18 pin H2 unlike the older 5pin rs input and output connectors
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
OCD

Only images are the scans I added for aux functions...IIRC...
What AUX functions have you added again? Would you mind posting the diagrams to any that might be helpful as im planning my install.

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
Got your PM Roger. I've actually been VERY LAZY and its been raining for about 4 weeks now.. I am installing my 5901 w/ DBALL this weekend. I will let you know. I will take pics also to help everyone out. Also since the new modules have the 18 pin H2 unlike the older 5pin rs input and output connectors
I have decided to go with the idatalink ADS-DLSL HA bypass unit. Seems they make some of the best units and have a lot of support backing them.

Also I spoke to another member here on the forum "carologist" about adding auto up/ auto down window functionality without the 530T units. He said it was possible as I suspected and gave me a sketch of how I would need to wire it up. I took the diagram and made on in adobe better reflecting the relays i'm using. The wires are different colors near the base of the relay because thats what my relay harnesses use. I have NOT confirmed this diagram to be functional but I thought I would post it incase someone wants to try it before I get a chance to. Might be a few weeks before I start my install.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Race Director

^^^^I added:

shock and tilt sensors, post #30
rear defog trigger, post #83 (no diagram)

A few more diagrams here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/viper-5301-canmax400dei-help-802687/

FYI, you don't have to go through the firewall to get a tach signal. See the diagram in the above thread.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-29-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Finally did mine yesterday using a DBALL, and 5901 with tilt Sensor.

My windows still go up as normally they would when i lock the car twice using the Kpmodule. You just have to learn the timing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WGOqTERldg

i'll post more info and pics after the weekend.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Alright, been playing with the new alarm and noticed a few things.

1. Door locks cycle when remote starting. Has anyone figured this out yet? i've seen its hit and miss on here (AZ).

2. Aren't the parking lights suppose to be on when RS??
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
Alright, been playing with the new alarm and noticed a few things.

1. Door locks cycle when remote starting. Has anyone figured this out yet? i've seen its hit and miss on here (AZ).

2. Aren't the parking lights suppose to be on when RS??
1. Get a canmax400dei. As far as I know, it's the only module smart enough to use the alarm disarm function of the canbus rather than a door lock cycle to disarm the alarm so the car can be started.

2. Did you set the correct polarity? Are you sure you have the parking light wire tapped correctly (based on polarity)?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
OCD

1. Get a canmax400dei. As far as I know, it's the only module smart enough to use the alarm disarm function of the canbus rather than a door lock cycle to disarm the alarm so the car can be started.

2. Did you set the correct polarity? Are you sure you have the parking light wire tapped correctly (based on polarity)?

Just FYI the iDatalink Bypass Module can disarm without unlocking according to the manual. I haven't installed mine yet but this is what it says in the manual.

"SINCE THE MODULE INCLUDES A ‘DISARM INPUT’ FEATURE,
BOTH ‘UNLOCK BEFORE START’ AND ‘LOCK AFTER START’
FEATURES ARE NOT REQUIRED."
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Roger555
Just FYI the iDatalink Bypass Module can disarm without unlocking according to the manual. I haven't installed mine yet but this is what it says in the manual.

"SINCE THE MODULE INCLUDES A ‘DISARM INPUT’ FEATURE,
BOTH ‘UNLOCK BEFORE START’ AND ‘LOCK AFTER START’
FEATURES ARE NOT REQUIRED."
Good to know! I'm surprised more modules haven't been updated to take advantage of this feature inherent in the TL canbus.

I'll be interested to read your review once you get it installed
Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

The module does have the ability to disarm/arm and unlock/lock according to the options via D2D. it might be software based... i asked tech support on Xpresskit last night. Lets see what they say..

Thanks for the response
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM
7th Gear

GF bought an '08 TL and I'm installing a 5701 with a DBALL. Looking to ditch the switchblade (we both hate it) and will be having 2 plain transponder keys cut and programmed. Basically black generic valet keys from eBay.

Question:

Is it possible to retain Driver 1 and Driver 2 functionality? Ideally, I'd like to see the Viper brain pass this info to the Acura brain via the DBALL (or any other CANBUS interface recommended) based on which Viper key was used.

You can see where I'm going with this... Instead of having the factory key, with basically 2 remotes, we'd like to each have a Viper remote only, with a transponder key. 2 remotes is a hack install IMO, I've just never had the Driver 1 and 2 functionality question before...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
OCD

I'm pretty sure the driver 1/2 settings are activated by OEM fob not the RFID in the key so with the viper remotes the system won't know the difference between the two. you will probably need to set them to trigger with an aux output aux 1 for driver 1 & aux 2 for driver 2. you would need to trigger these as your walking to the car. maybe there's a better way I'm not sure?

Last edited by Roger555; 09-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM
7th Gear

Ya but how to trigger it?

I'm kinda hoping DEI already thought of this, with the CAN brain and that firmware.

Worst case scenario it's always Driver 1 for her, and when I drive I just push the seat button. NBD, just a feature that would be nice to see. I own a USB bootloader for DEI, so if there's ever an update I can just flash it for her.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
OCD

Originally Posted by lextasy23
Ya but how to trigger it?

I'm kinda hoping DEI already thought of this, with the CAN brain and that firmware.

Worst case scenario it's always Driver 1 for her, and when I drive I just push the seat button. NBD, just a feature that would be nice to see. I own a USB bootloader for DEI, so if there's ever an update I can just flash it for her.
The fact is without your OEM key fob or switchback fob there is nothing to distinguish your key from your girlfriends.

What do you mean how do you trigger it? How do you activate the AUX outputs on the remote or how to wire it? I'm actual in the middle of my install and that part is coming up. I believe you just need to send a (-) pulse to the memory seat wire in the door (blue/yellow). You should be able to pulse these with just one of your AUX outputs or AUX & relay. I don't use driver 2 so I'm just going to have mine activate with unlock.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
7th Gear

I know that without the Driver 2 fob, the car will not know it's me. But, since the Viper has 2 different remotes, it would have been ideal to have the Viper brain be able to distinguish between the two, and then pass that "1/2 signal" to the DBALL, which in turn could relay it to the Acura, adjusting the seats and whatnot. I believe there is more than just seats, like radio station, heater controls, bluetooth device, etc.

Or, how can I emulate whatever "signal" for lack of a better term, is generated inside the Acura, that distinguishes between Driver 1 and 2. If it passes anything from one module to another, it can be emulated relatively easily, then triggered by the Viper brain using the AUX port.

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice. Really, I would need a detailed diagram of the Acura system.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
OCD

I found this tonight scroll down to "Owner Recognition"
http://mini.viper.com/Technology/Glossary/Default.aspx
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
7th Gear

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

I found this tonight scroll down to "Owner Recognition"
http://mini.viper.com/Technology/Glossary/Default.aspx
I see it, but it doesn't tell me much. At least though, I know the technology is there. I have a feeling one day there will be a simple firmware update for the DBALL that makes this automatic.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
OCD

I see it, but it doesn't tell me much. At least though, I know the technology is there. I have a feeling one day there will be a simple firmware update for the DBALL that makes this automatic.
I'm not entirely sure how it works but it does work for me like my factory fob did whenever I open the door it moves to driver 2 which is the only remote I have for the car. Using the bitwriter you can change it from driver 1-4 but for some reason it defaults back to remote 2. I haven't tried the other viper remote with it maybe I can set it to driver 1.

I did something pretty cool but wouldn't work for a 2 driver car. I have it setup to pulse driver 2 when I open the door which is setback about 4 inches, then when I get in the car and put the key in the ignition the seat slides up to memory 1 which is where I want to be. When I stop the car and take the keys out it slides back to memory 2 giving me extra clearance to get out!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

I know that without the Driver 2 fob, the car will not know it's me. But, since the Viper has 2 different remotes, it would have been ideal to have the Viper brain be able to distinguish between the two, and then pass that "1/2 signal" to the DBALL, which in turn could relay it to the Acura, adjusting the seats and whatnot. I believe there is more than just seats, like radio station, heater controls, bluetooth device, etc.

Or, how can I emulate whatever "signal" for lack of a better term, is generated inside the Acura, that distinguishes between Driver 1 and 2. If it passes anything from one module to another, it can be emulated relatively easily, then triggered by the Viper brain using the AUX port.

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice. Really, I would need a detailed diagram of the Acura system.
Here's what I would do. I would call Viper and see if "Aux outputs" are part of their little owner recognition thing. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

If they are, then you can make it work. Let's just say, for example, we will use Aux 1 for "her" and Aux 2 for "him". Wire Aux 1 (possibly through a relay, dunno the polarity) to the actual #1 settings button on the seat. Similarly, wire Aux 2 to the #2 settings button.

Now, go into the feature programming of the Viper and set "Aux 1 Linking" and "Aux 2 Linking" to "With Unlock".

Now here's where the tricky part comes in where Viper tech support is gonna be necessary with that whole "Owner Recognition" mumbo jumbo. You need to be able to "disable" Aux 2 on "her" remote and "disable" Aux 1 on "his remote.

If this is possible, what will happen is that every time you hit the unlock button on "his" remote, Aux 2 will go active and mimic someone actually pressing the #2 button on the seat. Similarly, pressing unlock on "her" remote will activate Aux 1 and mimic pressing the #1 button. As I said though, this requires that this mysterious "Owner Recognition" feature allows Aux outputs to be defeated/enabled.

As far as passing the information through the DBALL, not possible. Not with a future firmware update either. What you seem to be struggling with understanding is that the unique signal that is being sent to the car is what is causing the seats to move. And what make the unique signal? The fob. Without it, it is not possible. Can't be mimic'd, emulated, re-created, or whatever else you want to call it. Without that unique transmission crystal inside that fob, you aren't going to re-create anything even close to what the receiver needs. When you lose your fob and need a new one, they program the RECEIVER (CAR) to recognize the new REMOTE. They don't program the REMOTE to recognize the RECEIVER (CAR). This is because the remote is unique, the car receiver is NOT!

Much better to attack the problem from the hardwired inputs from the seat buttons.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
5th Gear

Need advise...

Hi,
I'm going to get Viper 5904(which is pretty same as 5904 through Amazon) and asking to my local guy to install. I need an advise which accessories to enable
-windows downs/ups
-trunk open/close
-proximity sensor
-door locks
- and of course remote starting

When I browse through Viper web, it suggests
-Windows atomation kit
-extra battery
-Expresskit DB-all Module

Please suggest which accessories need to get with 5904... Thanks in advanced...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
7th Gear

I had my 5902 w/remote start installed on my 08 Type-S M/T, recently, at one of my friends shop... he told me that the remote start wasnt made for M/T, so never to leave it in first gear. About a month and half ago, I had the car parked in a garage by the attendant & I forgot to tell them not to leave it in first gear. When I came to pick up my car... I was told, it was left in gear and accidentally remote started by the attendant and it drove into a wall.

Another friend who actually used to install alarms explained to me that for the remote start to work safely on the M/T you must wire the tach wire... voltage sensing is strictly for A/T.

So please learn from my experience, dont do the voltage sensing for your remote start if you have a M/T!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
7th Gear

hey thanks for the great information... do you have any detailed procedures for installing the 5902 remote start on a 08 type-s 6M/T... thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by avtech1
I had my 5902 w/remote start installed on my 08 Type-S M/T, recently, at one of my friends shop... he told me that the remote start wasnt made for M/T, so never to leave it in first gear. About a month and half ago, I had the car parked in a garage by the attendant & I forgot to tell them not to leave it in first gear. When I came to pick up my car... I was told, it was left in gear and accidentally remote started by the attendant and it drove into a wall.

Another friend who actually used to install alarms explained to me that for the remote start to work safely on the M/T you must wire the tach wire... voltage sensing is strictly for A/T.

So please learn from my experience, dont do the voltage sensing for your remote start if you have a M/T!!!
Sorry to say, but your friend is an idiot and they totally botched the install.

This unit is easily installed and safe to use on MTs if done properly and using the easy to follow installation instructions. If properly installed, it makes it impossible to enable the remote start feature without first taking the car out of gear.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
7th Gear

Sorry to say, but your friend is an idiot and they totally botched the install.

This unit is easily installed and safe to use on MTs if done properly and using the easy to follow installation instructions. If properly installed, it makes it impossible to enable the remote start feature without first taking the car out of gear.
Yea, what actually bothers me more is that I wasnt told about the proper installation procedure, I should of had a choice...

Either way once the weather warms up I would like to properly wire the tach wire... do you have any guidance or instructions i can use?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by avtech1
Yea, what actually bothers me more is that I wasnt told about the proper installation procedure, I should of had a choice...

Either way once the weather warms up I would like to properly wire the tach wire... do you have any guidance or instructions i can use?
It's not just the tach wire. It's also the e-brake wire and proper programming of the brain. Read through this thread. All the info and links are here.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
OCD

With my M/T I l have it set as an "automatic" and I ran the neutral safety wire through a set of reed switches placed around my shifter and finally to my e-brake(same wire).

With this setup the car will never start unless the shifter is in neutral & the e-brake is on.

This setup is completely safe and bullet proof if you know what your doings, however most installers would not be willing or able for that matter.

FYI: if you set the viper up in "Manual Mode" there is a completely unrealistic shutdown procedure you must follow everytime you leave your car or else you cant remote start. This is however better then running into a brick wall in your case!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Race Director

....FYI: if you set the viper up in "Manual Mode" there is a completely unrealistic shutdown procedure you must follow everytime you leave your car or else you cant remote start. This is however better then running into a brick wall in your case!
Hardly unrealistic: With foot on the brake, shift to neutral, apply the e-brake, punch a button... you're done.

Everything else is the same: remove the keys, get out of the car and lock the car with the remote. Simple, easy, bulletproof.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
OCD

Hardly unrealistic: With foot on the brake, shift to neutral, apply the e-brake, punch a button... you're done.

Everything else is the same: remove the keys, get out of the car and lock the car with the remote. Simple, easy, bulletproof.

Have fun doing that everytime you get out of your car! Not saying it hard to perform, just unrealistic your going to remember to do this everytime you get out of your vehicle. Also if you open your door to grab something I believe it resets?. Still nice to have a manual option for the masses, but must better solutions if you have the know how.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Race Director

Have fun doing that everytime you get out of your car! Not saying it hard to perform, just unrealistic your going to remember to do this everytime you get out of your vehicle. Also if you open your door to grab something I believe it resets?. Still nice to have a manual option for the masses, but must better solutions if you have the know how.
and with your hack, you still have to shift to neutral and put on the e-brake, correct? So you're saying that having to punching a button on the remote is unrealistic?

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Very Detailed install of VIPER 5901 with Remote Start