reverse light wire behind navi screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
reverse light wire behind navi screen

hi everyone, i've searched and searched on here (some good threads but some pictures are gone now) but i can't figure out which wire is for the reverse light going into the display control panel/navigation screen. i'm installing a relay for my tablet camera and i need to tap into the reverse light in the dash so that my tablet knows when the camera is getting power (the camera itself is already soldered to the reverse wire in the trunk).

i have the service manual but i can't figure out the wiring and which one is the reverse light signal to let the screen know when to go "black". the wire in the trunk is green with two silver dots so i thought this green one was the same but my multi meter doesn't show the car voltage when in reverse. tonight i'll temporarily wind my relay around that green wire to check for sure but thought i'd throw this question to the forum in the meantime.

my car is a 2008 acura tl type s. i know someone on here must have done a double din install tied into the reverse light behind the dash...

Name:  IMG_0554_zpszgtbptmr.jpg
Views: 8934
Size:  74.2 KB
Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Does the SM have the pin out? I'm not at my desk but that's what I would be looking for.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Does the SM have the pin out? I'm not at my desk but that's what I would be looking for.
i've looked at the pin out but nothing actually says "back light" or "reverse signal"...i thought this would be the easiest part of my install haha
Old 12-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

bump for any magical insight...trying to complete this today!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Check 23-173 from the manual. I'm not sure, I think it is asking to check navigation unit connector C 8P, 5th pin while in reverse.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
i THINK i found what you need sockr! PM'ed you the relevant SM pages. I would have uploaded them here but it's in PDF form. The 8Pin connector may be your key here.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chardness
Check 23-173 from the manual. I'm not sure, I think it is asking to check navigation unit connector C 8P, 5th pin while in reverse.
Originally Posted by thoiboi
i THINK i found what you need sockr! PM'ed you the relevant SM pages. I would have uploaded them here but it's in PDF form. The 8Pin connector may be your key here.
appreciate the time and help from both of you!! i actually have the service manual and have been going over it back and forth the last few days. i found the same info but i was looking for a wire behind the dash or in the center console. i knew the wire that you both referenced was located in the trunk (already tapped for my new reverse camera) and i knew it was coming out of the 8 pin connector both of you referenced, but the 8 pin connector at the nav box is actually in the right rear wheel well. i would have to route the wire through the trunk again, then under the seats up to the center console, and i had just finished putting the seats back two weeks ago and knew there was something with less work haha

turns out there is no reverse wire hook up behind the oem navigation/radio...which is super strange since most cars do and allow you to hook up a double din with camera if you wanted to. after reading the manual and testing some wires that looked exactly like the one i tapped into in the trunk, i felt like this was the case that there was no wire in the center console, but to make extra sure i called the guy at krank it up since i know they have an acura TL double din kit and provide installation instructions for a double din install (highly recommend their kit if you do a double din).

the guy confirmed there is no reverse wire hook up in the center dash (damn!) and instead told me to go to the 20 pin connector to the left of the OBDII. he sent me the picture below and i was able to make an extra long power wire to go from the center console all the way to the fuse box area. i knew there was a wire there hidden in the bundles from some other threads but figured i should give the center console a shot first...should have just done the fuse box area from the start. would have saved me some headaches and having to resolder some wires back together after checking them with a multimeter

Name:  IMG_0576%202_zpsrz3u7uh8.jpg
Views: 6492
Size:  96.9 KB

i ran the power wire under the dash to the location below (you can see the bare wire coming out of the red insulation) and from there i just pulled back some of the green insulation and soldered it in. the relay works perfect now and the new reverse camera is working perfectly now (well as perfect as you can get with a tablet setup haha). just a heads up this wire i tapped into is also referenced in a DIY tailgater switch thread and if you tap into it make sure it's the smaller of the two wires that look exactly the same.

Name:  IMG_0590%202_zpsp9jdtxrf.jpg
Views: 5110
Size:  73.0 KB

sucks overall there isn't an easy wire in the center area, but hopefully this saves someone some time in the future. thanks to everyone that offered some help!

Last edited by sockr1; 12-11-2016 at 02:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RATA-TAT-TAT (09-19-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:11 PM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
appreciate the time and help from both of you!! i actually have the service manual and have been going over it back and forth the last few days. i found the same info but i was looking for a wire behind the dash or in the center console. i knew the wire that you both referenced was located in the trunk (already tapped for my new reverse camera) and i knew it was coming out of the 8 pin connector both of you referenced, but the 8 pin connector at the nav box is actually in the right rear wheel well. i would have to route the wire through the trunk again, then under the seats up to the center console, and i had just finished putting the seats back two weeks ago and knew there was something with less work haha

turns out there is no reverse wire hook up behind the oem navigation/radio...which is super strange since most cars do and allow you to hook up a double din with camera if you wanted to. after reading the manual and testing some wires that looked exactly like the one i tapped into in the trunk, i felt like this was the case that there was no wire in the center console, but to make extra sure i called the guy at krank it up since i know they have an acura TL double din kit and provide installation instructions for a double din install (highly recommend their kit if you do a double din).

the guy confirmed there is no reverse wire hook up in the center dash (damn!) and instead told me to go to the 20 pin connector to the left of the OBDII. he sent me the picture below and i was able to make an extra long power wire to go from the center console all the way to the fuse box area. i knew there was a wire there hidden in the bundles from some other threads but figured i should give the center console a shot first...should have just done the fuse box area from the start. would have saved me some headaches and having to resolder some wires back together after checking them with a multimeter

Attachment 57765

i ran the power wire under the dash to the location below (you can see the bare wire coming out of the red insulation) and from there i just pulled back some of the green insulation and soldered it in. the relay works perfect now and the new reverse camera is working perfectly now (well as perfect as you can get with a tablet setup haha). just a heads up this wire i tapped into is also referenced in a DIY tailgater switch thread and if you tap into it make sure it's the smaller of the two wires that look exactly the same.

Attachment 57766

sucks overall there isn't an easy wire in the center area, but hopefully this saves someone some time in the future. thanks to everyone that offered some help!
Thank you so much for this image... I just installed the new 9.7 Inch Tesla monitor on my 06 TL and this wire you showed is a life saver to tie the rear camera to it
Old 03-02-2024, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for this info. I needed to find a trigger wire for the reverse lights for my new stereo and this was exactly what I needed.