Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I did splash screen and OK bypass only. I used Trip Computer and AC on the screen, but found myself not using it much. Anyways, great write up kennyc and many thanks to AD for all the work. Who cares if there is AD in the disclaimer page... I really don't get people saying "I AM TOO BOTHERED TO KEEP THAT ON MY SCREEN FOR 5 SECONDS" What's the big deal about it man? He's the one cracked it for you. At least he can get that much credit from you. -_-
Old 10-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Well I cannot seem to get this to work. when I tried AD compiled patch i received the error message about the new file being bigger than the original. But when I tried to use kennyc'c trimmed version by downloading the link at the beginning ofthis thread after it has been downloaded and I open it when I click on run i get an error message that it is not an executable win 32 file?????? I am lost now! what am I doing wrong?

One other thing when I try to update the splash screen with dumpnavi error message says it is "unable to stat file back.bmp" I dont care so much about the splash screen but it sure would be nice to defeat the OK button
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pohljm
Well I cannot seem to get this to work. when I tried AD compiled patch i received the error message about the new file being bigger than the original. But when I tried to use kennyc'c trimmed version by downloading the link at the beginning ofthis thread after it has been downloaded and I open it when I click on run i get an error message that it is not an executable win 32 file?????? I am lost now! what am I doing wrong?
Don't run the trimmed version of navi.exe. It's not a Windows application, it's the executable your navigation system runs to show the map, etc. It's what you're replacing in your BIN file.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Don't run the trimmed version of navi.exe. It's not a Windows application, it's the executable your navigation system runs to show the map, etc. It's what you're replacing in your BIN file.
DOH!!!!!!! so i just copy the file into the bin! thanks will try that! any idea whats up with my new wallpaper? it is the correct size and # colors and everything!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Is your back.bmp file in the same folder as the dumpnavi.exe and BIN file(s)? It should be.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I've not done the splash screen mod, yet, so I'm not sure about that message. My guess, if everything is correct, is that the file is not where dumpnavi expects it to be. Maybe it's a "file not found" sort of problem. Check to ensure everything is in the right place and try again.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by datmrman
Is your back.bmp file in the same folder as the dumpnavi.exe and BIN file(s)? It should be.
Yes it is. I have now tried a couple images and the same thing.........I get the error message that it is unable to stat file Back.bmp.........

I got the Nag Ok button patch loaded ok now its just this wallpaper issue.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had all sorts of problems when i first tried but then i thaught to myself take it one mod at a time. and just keep updating the same BNHH401A.BIN file. why dont you guys just let people copy your version of the bin file that you have already altered? it would save the meatheads in this forum lots of time.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:19 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Back.bmp is case sensitive...

did you type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.bin update Back.bmp" exactly?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kennyc
Back.bmp is case sensitive...

did you type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.bin update Back.bmp" exactly?
Yes I typed it precisely that way and still the same error message.???
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Partial success ...I got the trip computer and the nag button loaded and working properly

I just cannot seem to update the Back.bmp splash screen keep getting the same error message re: unable to stat file???
Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Partial success ...I got the trip computer and the nag button loaded and working properly

I just cannot seem to update the Back.bmp splash screen keep getting the same error message re: unable to stat file???
try a different bmp file.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried this and I haven't been following it in detail, but:
1) does AngryDad's patch change the discalimer text (because the "AD" logo would overlap with all the discalimer text)?
2) does kennyc's modified navi have a modified disclaimer text (as shown with his recent photo)?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Exclamation This will be the last time I post this...

Originally Posted by azurepalm
I haven't tried this and I haven't been following it in detail, but:
1) does AngryDad's patch change the discalimer text (because the "AD" logo would overlap with all the discalimer text)?
2) does kennyc's modified navi have a modified disclaimer text (as shown with his recent photo)?
1. AD's patch does not change the disclaimer text, it just erased the last two lines... and place the letters "AD" on the lower left side of the screen.

2. In the process of trimming the navi.exe to fit my 3.40c bin, I modified the disclaimer to only say "loading navigation..." and "please wait".

If you want to put your own custom text in there you can.. But since I have already erased the disclaimer text it might be easier to start fresh with AD's patch.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

One thing to note for people who want to customize the text after doing the AD hack. Although you can't change the last line with the AD, you can change the line above it. Just remove the 00 at 00449519 and then you can change that line.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro

1. AD's patch does not change the disclaimer text, it just erased the last two lines... and place the letters "AD" on the lower left side of the screen.
That's only partyly true. He didn't erase the last 2 lines (from the code), they just don't display on the screen. The full disclaimer text is still in the file after his hack. His signature actually shows up in a previous area where there was french text.

So it appears what he did was change the address of what is supposed to be displayed on the bottom lines to point to where he inserted his AD in the french text.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:29 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a wierd question... I'm tired of burning CD's trying to get my custom bootscreen text centered.

How many characters wide is the damn display?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

i'm hitting a brick wall here...
Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced

I think I figured out the error, I'm using 3.40 or something (*.com patch is only for 3.50). :|
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced

I got it to work, and man it's awesome.

Solution: i gave up trying to use AngryDad's patch, so I used a v3.50 navi.exe from kennedyc (note to others, it is perfectly OK to use diff version of navi.exe). I changed the text to "Loading Acura Navigation System..." with a hex editor (i used ultraedit-32), other than that it's all the same. updated the BIN file with the modified navi.exe, put it back into car, woalaa.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM
A-SPEC TL

damn...im scared to do this....anyone know wats the worst thing that can happen to the navigation....if i fuck sumthin up????
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Racer

Worse case scenario you just put original disk in and upload from it and your back to normal.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Klutch
damn...im scared to do this....anyone know wats the worst thing that can happen to the navigation....if i fuck sumthin up????
worst thing would be infinite loop (hang). but you can get out of it and reboot to FACTORY STANDARD by hitting MAP+GUIDE+CANCEL, then VERSION, then LOAD DISK with original disk in it. i've never had the infinite loop problem.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brianp6621
That's only partyly true. He didn't erase the last 2 lines (from the code), they just don't display on the screen. The full disclaimer text is still in the file after his hack. His signature actually shows up in a previous area where there was french text.

So it appears what he did was change the address of what is supposed to be displayed on the bottom lines to point to where he inserted his AD in the french text.

His patch goes primarily in two places. The first is placed into the french text. The second goes into the standard place in the code for the last line of the navi text. The last line has the AD and is checked so you can't easily change it. The line previous isn't checked at all, but to clear it instead of spacing out the entire line he just inserts a 00 (end of string marker) as the first character which terminates the string. Thus he leaves the rest of the second line there but it is never displayed since the 00 terminates the line.

To sum up, there is no redirection with regard to what is displayed on the screen. The second to last line is terminated premeturily (at 00449519) and the last line is overwritten by his hack.

-apnar
Old 10-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Suzuka Master

try a different bmp file.
Well I have tried 6-7 different .bmp files, all ones that were on the thread that were tested as working and it still will not take it.

.....updating Back.bmp
.....unable to stat file Back.bmp...........

The OK button nag patch works flawless and Angry Dads initials are a small price to pay for this terrific hack! and thats coming from a donor! as far as I am concerned it stands for "Acura Design"

I just wish I could get a nice splash screen loaded and then all would be well!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

Well I have tried 6-7 different .bmp files, all ones that were on the thread that were tested as working and it still will not take it.

.....updating Back.bmp
.....unable to stat file Back.bmp...........

The OK button nag patch works flawless and Angry Dads initials are a small price to pay for this terrific hack! and thats coming from a donor! as far as I am concerned it stands for "Acura Design"

I just wish I could get a nice splash screen loaded and then all would be well!
This error only happens if dumpnavi cannot find a "Back.bmp". Make sure that it is in the same folder as dumpnavi and that it is named "Back.bmp" exactly. One of my non-computer savvy friends had file extensions hidden and renamed the file Back.bmp so in actuallity it was "Back.bmp.bmp". Make sure this has not happened to you.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mitul103
This error only happens if dumpnavi cannot find a "Back.bmp". Make sure that it is in the same folder as dumpnavi and that it is named "Back.bmp" exactly. One of my non-computer savvy friends had file extensions hidden and renamed the file Back.bmp so in actuallity it was "Back.bmp.bmp". Make sure this has not happened to you.
I will check on that, but my file extensions are not hidden. Are you saying that I have to take the original Back.bmp out of the .BIN file? I just have all the .BIN files in the same folder along with the new Back.bmp that I am trying to update too, and dumpnavi? Its kinda strange because I have been able to update the files for the trip computer and the OK button easily, but this new image is getting frustrating.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
TC,Splash Screen Pic and OK Mod on one disc?

Can I do all of these hacks to the files and put on one disc? Or do I have to use 3 different discs?

I have done the picture mod in the past but I do it so rarely It takes sometime to re-learn.

This one seems complicated (new programs/extractors etc).

If it can be done on 1 disc, could someone post 'in detail' each step to take?

thank you...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gman44116
Can I do all of these hacks to the files and put on one disc? Or do I have to use 3 different discs?

If it can be done on 1 disc, could someone post 'in detail' each step to take?
gman44116,

Not only can you do it in one disk, you MUST do it on one disk or each one will over write the previous ones. Just follow the instructions in the first post of the thread using the same files for each step.

-apnar
Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Just completed all three hacks - my version was 3.40a and everything worked great!! Thanks to everyone (especially AD) for all of the info and easy intructions. Worked like a charm.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Cold Racketeer

Who arrived at the descision to stretch the image before burning it? I had been doing it without stretching and it looked fine. just tried it with the stretch and it looks stretched on the car? maybe i'm nuts. are the tl pixels not square or something?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Cold Racketeer

Oh, and great job updating the page and modifying the files, kennyc... this is incredibly useful. You really did a good job helping everyone out.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I will check on that, but my file extensions are not hidden. Are you saying that I have to take the original Back.bmp out of the .BIN file? I just have all the .BIN files in the same folder along with the new Back.bmp that I am trying to update too, and dumpnavi? Its kinda strange because I have been able to update the files for the trip computer and the OK button easily, but this new image is getting frustrating.
DOH!!!! My extensions were hidden and I was naming the file Back.bmp.bmp!!!
Thanks for the heads up all works purrrfectly now!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

wasted about 4 CD-Rs trying to do this. still can't get it

do i have to make a new folder for every one of these? And everytime, do i have to re-transfer the BN2HHMLD.BIN file from the Navi disc to the folder?

Btw, i have version 3.4C
Old 10-07-2006, 10:38 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

first of all, switch to cd-rw.

there is no folder involved with this all all. you do not have to transfer the bn2hhmld.bin file from the bin disc everytime.

You do have to include that file alone with your personalized BNHH401A.bin every time you burn the CD.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah...just tried it again...not working

can anyone do this (all 3) and then put the file somewhere for me to download?

This is the image:

In the past, i had the splashscreen and the trip comp, but now that i want to add the OK bypass, it's not working for me. I have no idea why.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
wasted about 4 CD-Rs trying to do this. still can't get it

do i have to make a new folder for every one of these? And everytime, do i have to re-transfer the BN2HHMLD.BIN file from the Navi disc to the folder?

Btw, i have version 3.4C
use CD-RW. works fine just the same.

and best use a clean/original files before doing anything. you can put them in a zip file and keep it in a safe place. next time you need it, no need to pop the orange disk from car, just open the zip files.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:26 AM
10th Gear

DOH!!!! My extensions were hidden and I was naming the file Back.bmp.bmp!!!
Thanks for the heads up all works purrrfectly now!
Haha, I kinda figured that what had happened to my friend had happened to you. Glad to help out.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:27 PM
A-SPEC TL

when i take out the cd outta my car....do i have to press the 3 button combinations....and go to the diagnostics menu and then eject the cd....and after i take it out...do i just shut off my car?.......sorry for the extreme noob questions

also i just checked and i have a orange disk.....wat version would that be?? 3.40??
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
A-SPEC TL

ok so my first attempt failed.....my question is that after i run "cmd" to put the image in the bin file.....is the bin files size supposed to increase or remain the same?...i also did the ok button one and the file size also stayed the same

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal