Installation of Infinity 62.7i speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
so have your speaker got wet yet? that little white piece of plastic on the back is finned so that the water is shunt off the speaker when it drips down. haha And they make it so its not completely closed off so the speaker has air space behind to give it a better sound.. So in other words, dont try sealing it off like you did your filter
I have not opened up the door panel to see if they have gotten wet. I haven't had any issue with the performance so I would say they are ok.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just ordered a pair for my car.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by AMIC
I have not opened up the door panel to see if they have gotten wet. I haven't had any issue with the performance so I would say they are ok.
What i meant is that the woofer will have a deeper sound the more volume of air space behind it. So, sealing off the back side of the woofer could make it sound a bit higher pitch. But no, I don't think there would be any performance issue. Jus tmaybe the woofer *may* sound higher.. which is not what I personally would want to do. As an example, larger speakers require more cubic feet in the box to "tune" the woofer down to its designed resonate frequency. When I installed my rear speakers in my TL, (cheap and on factory amp, ya pretty sad) I made the connection then moved them over into the hole. I did this while the CD was playing and you could hear a Very noticable difference in Tone as I inserted the speaker into the Hole. And the really wild part was that the rear dash was off and the back seat was out and literally, the read deck is littered with holes and yet somehow the rear deck was still better than no mounting at all. That may not be any big surprise, but I was surprised to hear as much difference as I did considering 1/2 of the rear deck is the back seat!, which was out of the car. So, it seems that anything makes a big difference to speakers. So I dunno, just a thought.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 05-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
What i meant is that the woofer will have a deeper sound the more volume of air space behind it. So, sealing off the back side of the woofer could make it sound a bit higher pitch. But no, I don't think there would be any performance issue. Jus tmaybe the woofer *may* sound higher.. which is not what I personally would want to do. As an example, larger speakers require more cubic feet in the box to "tune" the woofer down to its designed resonate frequency. When I installed my rear speakers in my TL, (cheap and on factory amp, ya pretty sad) I made the connection then moved them over into the hole. I did this while the CD was playing and you could hear a Very noticable difference in Tone as I inserted the speaker into the Hole. And the really wild part was that the rear dash was off and the back seat was out and literally, the read deck is littered with holes and yet somehow the rear deck was still better than no mounting at all. That may not be any big surprise, but I was surprised to hear as much difference as I did considering 1/2 of the rear deck is the back seat!, which was out of the car. So, it seems that anything makes a big difference to speakers. So I dunno, just a thought.
Wow, you came back to this thread after over a year!

I can see what you're saying, but since I never listened to the speakers while they were out of the door or with the plastic basket on, I have nothing to compare it to so I really don't know if I'm missing out .
Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
well, by taping off the backside, you're basically losing the "box" behind the speakers. Its probably not as bad as totally removing the speaker from the enclosure completely, but like I said, you may be losing some of the bass. So in other words, it would be best to leave it open for the best sound. Pulling the speaker out of the hole while its playing and then putting the speaker back is just a way to replicate the effect of what I am talking about. But again, some enclosure is better than none. For calculating volume of air space behind the speaker, you can read this. http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
So can I leave the stock tweeters in there if I wanted to change the 4 full ranges drivers to 2-way and with the soundstage be good? I love highs just as much as I like bass. I can list to hip-hop/R&B/Techno but at the same time enjoy Classical/Jazz. Im just looking to clean up the highs which at the same time give me a decent bump in vol. Any opinions?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Anyone??? lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
change those stock tweeters, if u want nice and clear sound
Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 AM
06 TL auto nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it matter what ohms the 6 1/2 door speakers and rear deck 6 1/2 speakers are?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious to anyone that posted in this thread, what is comparable to the 63.7 today that would drop in without cutting the basket???
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Seatown1two
Just curious to anyone that posted in this thread, what is comparable to the 63.7 today that would drop in without cutting the basket???
There's nothing I'm aware of that would not require cutting the plastic basket. I can't remember way back when I had the Infinities if I had to cut the basket but I seem to remember doing it.

You're going to have to not only get rid of the basket but cut the sheet metal if you want anything better than crappy Infinities. Spacers are a must as well. It's not a big deal, everyone does it, most of the time all you're doing is making the "D" shaped hole round. It's a very small amount of metal to be cut.

If you refuse to cut, you're choices are going to be severely limited. I would leave the stock speakers in there and throw a good amp on them, you will have better results that way.

You can still return the car back to stock and there will be no evidence the metal was ever cut without removing the stock speakers and baskets.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:57 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
So I think one of my door Infinity's blew. It's making a raspy sound now Unfortunately they dont make the 62.7i's anymore. Any thoughts on an alternative speaker for the doors?

I was eying these. Thoughts?

​​​​​​​Alpine SPR-60 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Type-R Speaker Set
https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPR-60.../dp/B004VSTYI6