Imagine '04-'08 Acura TL nav buttons & features working on Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Imagine '04-'08 Acura TL nav buttons & features working on Nexus 7

I've been wondering about this theory of replacing my original stock nav system with a Nexus 7 tablet. Only thing is, I don't want to fall short of all of the customizable options that come with the original nav system for the car or lose any of the functions of the steering wheel and dash buttons... (I like how you can add up 5 destinations at one time and get to them all in the best timely manner and things like that.) I hope you guys can help figure this out because this would be totally awesome to do!!!

It would be cool if there was an app you could load the TL satellite linked navigation system cd-rom onto so that you can use it through the nexus as well as rewire all the original wires to the nexus 7 via USB so that you can control their features and use the buttons to control the nexus as you would have with the original nav system from the dash and the steering wheel.

FEATURES
-Wireless nexus charging

-Rerouting all compatible buttons from the steering wheel and the dash it self so that they function with the nexus 7.

-Connecting a distance sensitive reverse camera that turns on and pops open on the nexus automatically when you put the car in reverse and manually if you just want to check it out while you're not in reverse.

-A front recording camera that can be turn on manually or automatically when you drive, (in case you ever need those recordings for insurance purposes.)

I know right, there's so much complicated things to do up there...

But I'm hoping someone with the right soldering, engineering, and app programming background can help put together something like this.

If anyone knows how to do any of these things, please, please help out so we can make this a real project and bring it to life!
PLEASE HELP BY POSTING PICS AND DETAILS, THANK YOU!

Inspired by 00g
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
what the fuck?

its IMPOSSIBLE to tie in nav to nexus 7.
the nav has its own eco-system, which is closed.
the nexus 7 has its own eco-system.
there is no possible way to bring the two eco-systems together.

if you want the buttons to retain functionality, simply DO NOT add a nexus.

If you want better navigation, better music player, better movie player, add a nexus 7.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
let the OP have his pipedream!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
let the OP have his pipedream!!!

what he wants is called an android auto head unit made by alpine or pioneer.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

$1299.00 doe
what up doe ?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:59 PM

the closest thing you can do, is have 4 or 5 different pieces of hardware. They wont interact with each other, because different eco-systems....but you can turn them on or off with physical buttons.

like for example; 1 piece of hardware for the front facing camera and another hardware camera for the rear. unless they come together, both of them will operate on their own software.

2; wireless charging has to be its own hardware.

3;nav has to be separate of tablet, because they cant interact with each other because of different operating system.

there's literally NO WORK arounds because everything is limited to hardware. and hardware is seriously lacking in this car. it simply does not have the processing power to do what you want it to do.

Last edited by justnspace; 10-27-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry, this is a better idea!

Originally Posted by justnspace
the closest thing you can do, is have 4 or 5 different pieces of hardware. They wont interact with each other, because different eco-systems....but you can turn them on or off with physical buttons.

like for example; 1 piece of hardware for the front facing camera and another hardware camera for the rear. unless they come together, both of them will operate on their own software.

2; wireless charging has to be its own hardware.

3;nav has to be separate of tablet, because they cant interact with each other because of different operating system.

there's literally NO WORK arounds because everything is limited to hardware. and hardware is seriously lacking in this car. it simply does not have the processing power to do what you want it to do.
Hey, I appreciate all the info, but I was thinking of something like this video I found... I don't know why I didn't think of this, but this is better than the idea I originally had in mind.

Basically, keeping the nav system fully functional except, moving it under the cassette player and placing a nexus in it's position. This way, I wouldn't have to do any custom apps or rerouting or anything other than moving the nav under and poping in a new nexus.

However, I still need to figure out how to set up the reverse camera so that it automatically operates when I put the car in reverse and also be able to operate it whenever I feel like and the other thing is to have the front camera automatically record or whenever I feel like it. Is there a way to do this?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Vent lights...
Old 10-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiya
However, I still need to figure out how to set up the reverse camera so that it automatically operates when I put the car in reverse and also be able to operate it whenever I feel like and the other thing is to have the front camera automatically record or whenever I feel like it. Is there a way to do this?
not being able to integrate the oem back up camera was the main reason i didn't do the tablet. there's some threads by people that have started researching this but you need to search for them in the audio/nav section. they're there but i don't believe there is a final, legit solution, which is why i stopped following those threads and gave up the tablet idea.
The following users liked this post:
Kiya (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Vent lights...
Dislike the vent lights but the freaking garter hanging from the rear view is fine?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sockr1
not being able to integrate the oem back up camera was the main reason i didn't do the tablet. there's some threads by people that have started researching this but you need to search for them in the audio/nav section. they're there but i don't believe there is a final, legit solution, which is why i stopped following those threads and gave up the tablet idea.

I hope they've found something by now. I'm still serching, because if I can't have the whole front camera recording, I can live with it, but the backup camera is a great feature to have. I found this video, hope it helps motivate you to try it out after all.

Cody Bechtold explained:
" I used a Rom called Autodroid (google), a USB OTC cable, a USB hub, and an Easycap with STK1160 chip, purchased at this link: I used a Rom called Autodroid, a USB OTC cable, a USB hub, and an Easycap with STK1160 chip, purchased at this link USB Audio Video DVR Capture Card VHS VCR TV to DVD Converter Adapter PC Recorder | eBay "
Old 10-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
There is. Pretty much everyone now is doing it with moderate success. They always work, but sometimes the quality is not so good when trying to cheap out. Just look at the numerous Nexus 7 installs in this section.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
There is. Pretty much everyone now is doing it with moderate success. They always work, but sometimes the quality is not so good when trying to cheap out. Just look at the numerous Nexus 7 installs in this section.
i'v over-researched it like i do everything else haha and read those threads countless times and PM'd the people in the thread. it wasn't a consistent solution. if i went an aftermarket camera system yea it would be easier, but i just don't want to haha

maybe now there are better solutions but i got over it and went ghetto style with a portable gps permanently mounted.

look forward to your install OP!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think the best and easiest solution, albeit the most expensive, is to buy a new accord with car play. Then you get everything you want!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
dislike the vent lights but the freaking garter hanging from the rear view is fine?
lol
Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
OP!!!

Bro no disrespect, but its not easy, if you took the whole navy system apart, than you know what you are dealing with, there will be some fab work that you will have to do, move wires. extend a lot of things, test and so on...

Trust me,, what your trying to accomplish, a lot of people did but with lots of work put in to it... make sure you take everything apart once, clips and shit will brake or damage some of the plastic... I didn't go that route.... I went with car pc. which was more work than anything i have ever done... but it turned out great!
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 PM
00g
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiya

I've been wondering about this theory of replacing my original stock nav system with a Nexus 7 tablet. Only thing is, I don't want to fall short of all of the customizable options that come with the original nav system for the car or lose any of the functions of the steering wheel and dash buttons... (I like how you can add up 5 destinations at one time and get to them all in the best timely manner and things like that.) I hope you guys can help figure this out because this would be totally awesome to do!!!

It would be cool if there was an app you could load the TL satellite linked navigation system cd-rom onto so that you can use it through the nexus as well as rewire all the original wires to the nexus 7 via USB so that you can control their features and use the buttons to control the nexus as you would have with the original nav system from the dash and the steering wheel.

FEATURES
-Wireless nexus charging

-Rerouting all compatible buttons from the steering wheel and the dash it self so that they function with the nexus 7.

-Connecting a distance sensitive reverse camera that turns on and pops open on the nexus automatically when you put the car in reverse and manually if you just want to check it out while you're not in reverse.

-A front recording camera that can be turn on manually or automatically when you drive, (in case you ever need those recordings for insurance purposes.)

I know right, there's so much complicated things to do up there...

But I'm hoping someone with the right soldering, engineering, and app programming background can help put together something like this.

If anyone knows how to do any of these things, please, please help out so we can make this a real project and bring it to life!
PLEASE HELP BY POSTING PICS AND DETAILS, THANK YOU!

Inspired by 00g
Acura TL with Nexus 7 with re-routed buttons. - YouTube
Hah. I just ran across this thread with my video....while I have my tablet and A/C controls sitting on my lap.

https://i.imgur.com/1J8odHA.jpg

As others have already stated, you're asking for not only the impossible, but also the pointless. The Nexus 7 has Google Maps (aka navigation). Press the microphone button, "take me home"/"take me to work", etc.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

Can someone help me with tablet prep?. 2012 nexus either autodriod or timurs rom.