I'm SOO Excited!!! Just completed my Non-Navi -> Navi Conversion!!! DIY Included!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i was asking myself that same question for the past 4 years...after seeing so many TLs with it and then i have my boring non navi TL i had to jump on this and finally get started. its really worth it in the end.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddy
Thanks for the write up. Im going to start my parts search
No problem keep us posted on your progress and post pics in this thread when you are done! Or ask any questions here if you need any help!

Originally Posted by maddsiick
yeah it only took 4 hours. i was amazed myself, i think it was easier because of the writeup you made and the instructions from martin. Plus he was able to show me easy ways to get some of the panels off since i went to pick up my cable directly from him in NJ. I ended up using the same bolts, it wasnt that hard to come out.
Lucky! mine got stripped to pieces!! You got to meet martin? thats awesome.. seems like a cool guy over the phone.. did you tell him that a guy on this site recommended him? I told him more and more people would go to him after my post.. or at least i was hoping so! lol

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
The more I see this, the more I ask myself WHY I'm not doing this since I got almost all the parts....lol just missing the steering wheel buttons, HFL units, a good Navi Display and the crazy HARNESS lol ...

Asking myself right now.....lol
lol .. yah maybe you should just have your carpc connect via Doms.. oh wait.. but then you lose the touch screen function.. dogh.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe I'll find the SubDisplay problem I have, and slowly gathered the Navi parts...and relocate the Navi screen below the Stereo and leave my carPc on top....

BUT FIRST I WANT TO FIX MY SUBDISPLAY, CANT BELEIVE MOAHDIB is no longer on the forum...if anybody on here know how we can reach him I would appreciate since I'm stuck here...I redide for a 10th times my harness without success...

Do you think I should remove all other wires from the E connectors?? maybe that is the problem??
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Maybe I'll find the SubDisplay problem I have, and slowly gathered the Navi parts...and relocate the Navi screen below the Stereo and leave my carPc on top....

BUT FIRST I WANT TO FIX MY SUBDISPLAY, CANT BELEIVE MOAHDIB is no longer on the forum...if anybody on here know how we can reach him I would appreciate since I'm stuck here...I redide for a 10th times my harness without success...

Do you think I should remove all other wires from the E connectors?? maybe that is the problem??
hmmm I dunno man.. here e-mail this guy.. he may be able to help you.. he is the guy that sells the custom harness on ebay.. he is very helpful.. tell him that the guy who just purchased the Navi and had problems with his wiring 2 weeks ago sent you to him.. acurahondatech1@gmail.com

Ill email him to let him know you will be getting in contact with him .. pm me if you want his number..
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I just ordered all of my small parts from Prestige Acura... It all cost me less than 100 bucks. I have to find all of the big expensive parts now... Woo Hoo
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
"Advance"

^^Let me know if you need a SubDisplay from an 05
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Im watching one on ebay right now. PM me how much for it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
now do mine
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Drifting

I just ordered all of my small parts from Prestige Acura... It all cost me less than 100 bucks. I have to find all of the big expensive parts now... Woo Hoo
Hope my thread helps you out! So far its helped at least one person! We should start a non navi -> navi list to keep track of all the people who can be resources for people who want to do this mod..

Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
now do mine
Im not 100% sure how to do it on the UA5 TLs.. but I would give it a shot! lol
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Hope my thread helps you out! So far its helped at least one person! We should start a non navi -> navi list to keep track of all the people who can be resources for people who want to do this mod..
I second this!!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Drifting

I second this!!
Ok! Here we go.

People who have completed this mod that I know of!
- bzyrice
- jptl04
- maddsiick
- kenny416
- Zeppelin

I know there has to be more people that have done the non nav - nav!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

i know a couple people who will be adding their names to this list pretty soon, el.profe is working on getting all the parts for his conversion right now
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Please .. if you guys get the custom harness through the guy on ebay.. please let them know the guy from acurazine sent you!! He has helped me alot and i told him that i would get people to get it from him.. his harness is great and his customer service is even better! I hope you agree maddsiick..
Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Martin has a complete plug and play setup on ebay for 1899 right now btw
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Martin has a complete plug and play setup on ebay for 1899 right now btw
Nice! is it the 07/08? I bet all his parts are new too..
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
"Advance"

I sent an email to your guy, I hope he can point me whats wrong with my convertion thanks for your help man!!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Nice! is it the 07/08? I bet all his parts are new too..
Here it is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Please .. if you guys get the custom harness through the guy on ebay.. please let them know the guy from acurazine sent you!! He has helped me alot and i told him that i would get people to get it from him.. his harness is great and his customer service is even better! I hope you agree maddsiick..
i definitly agree. martin is a great and honest guy, most of the parts he uses are new, the screen and dvd unit are used but in almost perfect condition, he said new parts are un-affordable. but he is really helpful, he'll answer any question to the best of his knowlegde, and hes know alot about this. he was able to show me how to take certain parts on my car apart without breaking clips and struggling. hes like a walking TL service manual haha...and he always gets back to you as soon as he can.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Drifting

I sent an email to your guy, I hope he can point me whats wrong with my convertion thanks for your help man!!
Cool.. Im going to call martin for some info today. I will make sure to ask him to reply to you lol

Nice it is the 07 - 08!!! So I guess you can get navtraffic!! COOL!! too bad I already did my conversion!

i definitly agree. martin is a great and honest guy, most of the parts he uses are new, the screen and dvd unit are used but in almost perfect condition, he said new parts are un-affordable. but he is really helpful, he'll answer any question to the best of his knowlegde, and hes know alot about this. he was able to show me how to take certain parts on my car apart without breaking clips and struggling. hes like a walking TL service manual haha...and he always gets back to you as soon as he can.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM
"Advance"

Cool.. Im going to call martin for some info today. I will make sure to ask him to reply to you lol
Nice, thanks again for you help bro!! I hope he can help me out since I'll be installing my mac very soon.

Oh and I also purchased the GPS antenna from acuraoemparts.com so I could eventually get that clock setup good . I'll have to check which connectors I need from you
Old 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
"Advance"

I'll receive my GPS antenna later this week. If my tests are not successful for the NAVI clock, how much could I ask for the Navi-DVDrom UNIT ?? I'll probably sell this on ebay...so I need a minimum

I got in touch with Martin from acura, he will get back to me tomorrow about the SubDisplay swap....I'll post back his experience ASAP!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Drifting

I'll receive my GPS antenna later this week. If my tests are not successful for the NAVI clock, how much could I ask for the Navi-DVDrom UNIT ?? I'll probably sell this on ebay...so I need a minimum

I got in touch with Martin from acura, he will get back to me tomorrow about the SubDisplay swap....I'll post back his experience ASAP!
Ooh.. thats the hardest part to find.. that navi rom .. i wouldnt sell it for less then 300.00 .. thats the only part i could not find a backup of..

Yah hope you get everything working.. Dont forget to make a thread on how you did it!! lol
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
"Advance"

As soon as I get this SWAP successfully done, I'll be more then happy to help others and even sell my spare SubDisplay for cheap to the first who want to achieve this!! lol So yes the thread and DIY will follow my success lol (CROSSED FINGERS)
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Drifting

haha.. i may just pick up the dvd rom and subdisplay from you so I can sell everything as a whole kit.. we will see..
Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
"Advance"

Ok, just got some feedback from Martin. He did a Navi conversion today and told me as soon as he disconnected the NavDVD Unit, the Radio Display went off.

So I guess I'll need to connect this Unit if I want to achieve this mod. Piss me off a little since I'm sure it's not required and maybe I can hack the connector so it thinks the Unit is connected.

PM me how much you want for your NavUnit connectors bro

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Ok, just got some feedback from Martin. He did a Navi conversion today and told me as soon as he disconnected the NavDVD Unit, the Radio Display went off.

So I guess I'll need to connect this Unit if I want to achieve this mod. Piss me off a little since I'm sure it's not required and maybe I can hack the connector so it thinks the Unit is connected.

PM me how much you want for your NavUnit connectors bro

Thanks!
Which ones you want? the ones for the dvd rom? What year dd rom did you get?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
"Advance"

I got the 2005 DVDrom. I'll check from the Service Manual which connectors I need.

I'm pretty sure that the HFL won't be needed since I'm not changing my HFL unit.

Let me check this out tonight and will get back to with this ASAP.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Drifting

I got the 2005 DVDrom. I'll check from the Service Manual which connectors I need.

I'm pretty sure that the HFL won't be needed since I'm not changing my HFL unit.

Thanks!
np.. let me know man
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
You can add me to the list of complete conversions.

Vmt, do you have the stock navi display? I am looking at the schematics and even though the sub display connects to the main display, I am pretty sure that the data goes from the audio unit, through the navi controller and then to the displays. There is a screen on the main display to control balance, fade, tone, etc that is for sure has to be generated by something other than the head unit.

I am getting ready to dive back into my dash and will try to get back to replacing the stock lcd with an aftermarket lcd. I have a rgbs converter already wired to connect to the existing wiring and will use a kbd switch to go between the carputer and stock system.

You mentioned a mac mini. Are you going to use it with Windows XP or MacOS? I was thinking the same thing, but there are also a lot of mini itx solutions now and there's a place here in VT locally that sells this stuff (logicsupply.com) so I might go homebrew for less money.

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-10-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

bzyrice, do you have a source for the connectors or just some spares? If VMT doesn't go for them, I would be interested in the navi controller connectors. Are they pigtail? Please PM me if that's more appropriate. THanks!

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

Thanks!
Do you have HFL being in Canada? There are a set of mic wires going to the existing HFL unit that is used for voice commands. You just need the pins as they go into the existing connector.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
"Advance"

^^Yes I do have, but I won't need to connect it to the NaviUnit since it's a complet different module. Only thing I don't have is a XM Radio.

So, according to this pic

1 - Connector A will be needed
2 - Connector B doest look really important as it is connected to the voice command and Steering wheel button, which I dont have...
3 - Connector C will be needed
4 - Connector E will get it with the GPS Antenna later this week
5 - Connector F is HFL, so no need...

So if you could PM me a price for connector A and C + ur paypal info that would be appreciated

I'll do some test with the NavUnit + SubDisplay + Antenna later when I'll get all the parts. When this will be done I'll probably find a way to hack the connectors and fool the Display so it thinks the NaviUnit is there.

I understand what you sayin KN_TL but it's pretty much the same data processed that is passed to my NON-Navi display.

I'll do what I can and create the proper thread as this one is getting a little jackedup

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KN_TL
bzyrice, do you have a source for the connectors or just some spares? If VMT doesn't go for them, I would be interested in the navi controller connectors. Are they pigtail? Please PM me if that's more appropriate. THanks!
No, I do not have a source for the connectors.. The navi unit, radio and the DVD rom came with them still attached.. and yes they are all pigtails.. there is enough wire there to splice into.. I need to create a thread in the BM thread.. but havent had time to take pics of all the connectors..

^^Yes I do have, but I won't need to connect it to the NaviUnit since it's a complet different module. Only thing I don't have is a XM Radio.

So, according to this pic

1 - Connector A will be needed
2 - Connector B doest look really important as it is connected to the voice command and Steering wheel button, which I dont have...
3 - Connector C will be needed
4 - Connector E will get it with the GPS Antenna later this week
5 - Connector F is HFL, so no need...

So if you could PM me a price for connector A and C + ur paypal info that would be appreciated

I'll do some test with the NavUnit + SubDisplay + Antenna later when I'll get all the parts. When this will be done I'll probably find a way to hack the connectors and fool the Display so it thinks the NaviUnit is there.

I understand what you sayin KN_TL but it's pretty much the same data processed that is passed to my NON-Navi display.

I'll do what I can and create the proper thread as this one is getting a little jackedup

Thanks!
Sorry took me so long to get back to you man.. I was out of town this weekend.. You don't need the connectors anymore right?

Updated the list!
- bzyrice
- jptl04
- maddsiick
- kenny416
- Zeppelin
- el.profe (Had Martin from ebay do install)
- KN_TL
Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
damn bzyrice. I look like a newb by you adding that extra (had martin install) compared to all the other guys..lol..
Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you forgot to add ABP_04TL
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Updated the list!
- bzyrice
- jptl04
- maddsiick
- kenny416
- Zeppelin
- el.profe (Had Martin from ebay do install)
- KN_TL
actually i've done this three times

1. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/completed-non-navi-factory-navi-conversion-600316/
2. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/my-non-navi-navi-conversion-05-tl-622349/
3. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-142-yet-another-non-navi-navi-conversion-success-story-640304/

i could do it with my eyes closed
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
"Advance"

^^Since you did it 3 times, is there a way to achieve a NonNavi Display to a SuBDisplay Conversion with only the GPS Display plugged in? I'm missing the Stereo data when I connect the SubDisplay on the Navi Display.

Many say I need the DvdUnit..if so I'll give up this conversion

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Safety Car

^^Since you did it 3 times, is there a way to achieve a NonNavi Display to a SuBDisplay Conversion with only the GPS Display plugged in? I'm missing the Stereo data when I connect the SubDisplay on the Navi Display.

Many say I need the DvdUnit..if so I'll give up this conversion

Thanks!
I tried going the route you are attempting and if you want to use all stock parts, the navi unit is required.

I saw in BM that you had the unit. Why did you give up?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
"Advance"

^^LOL its not my style to give up on sometin... but I'm in the middle of my MacMini Install and I still have a lot to do to make it looks like I want 2.

So, the SubDisplay issue was pissing me off a little even if I had all the parts required. I was missing the freakin connectors and didnt really know which one would be needed.

So, in the end I received a PM requesting my Navi parts and the guy was attempting a full conversion. I know how hard it is to find all the parts, I had the Unit, the SubDisplay and a brand new GPS Antenna. It's now in the mail....lol

BUT! I still have the SubDisplay, NaviDisplay so I may reattempe this conversion one day since I decided to keep the car forever, I'll simply never sell this beauty

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Oh and be ready for my next thread, I'll create a new WorkLog on my MacMini Install This will be out soon !

Last edited by VmtSquad; 11-20-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

^^LOL its not my style to give up on sometin... but I'm in the middle of my MacMini Install and I still have a lot to do to make it looks like I want 2.

So, the SubDisplay issue was pissing me off a little even if I had all the parts required. I was missing the freakin connectors and didnt really know which one would be needed.

So, in the end I received a PM requesting my Navi parts and the guy was attempting a full conversion. I know how hard it is to find all the parts, I had the Unit, the SubDisplay and a brand new GPS Antenna. It's now in the mail....lol

BUT! I still have the SubDisplay, NaviDisplay so I may reattempe this conversion one day since I decided to keep the car forever, I'll simply never sell this beauty

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Oh and be ready for my next thread, I'll create a new WorkLog on my MacMini Install This will be out soon !
Finding the connectors was by far the hardest thing about the conversion. I ended up with aftermarket and they aren't as good as OEM.

What OS are you using with the mini?

Quick Reply: I'm SOO Excited!!! Just completed my Non-Navi -> Navi Conversion!!! DIY Included!