Headrest monitors

Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Headrest monitors

Hello all, I've just recently bought an '05 TL with 97k on it. The car came with 2 monitors on the headrests. I tried to put dvd discs into the disc drive to see if they could play, but there was just no signal at all. I assume this is an aftermarket mod as there was no indication that the car came factory equipped with dvd videos functionality. I don't know the owner and I don't know what they did to have those monitors installed, but is there anyway for me to enable the dvd playing on those 2 screens? Thank you guys.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
you need to find the aftermarket dvd player or the connections for the player that would have fed those monitors. perhaps the owner just got them for looks and they are not functional? follow the feed cables from the monitors and see where it goes. need a video switcher too. fold rear armrest down and perhaps its in the cupholder spot thats where many install them.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced

thank you for the reply. I looked around the car, and the previous owner did a really good job at hiding the wires. I could only find a portion of those cables protruding out under the driver's seat. Besides that, everything is not visible at all. So I don't know where they connect to a player. As for the cup holder in the rear armrest, it's just a regular cup holder. I guess I may have to take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Some aftermarket headrest monitors have the dvd player built in behind the monitor. Does the monitor have an open button on it? Do the monitors power on when the car is turned on?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced

I searched, but it seems that these are just monitor units. They do turn on when I use the remotes that came with the car. But it only shows a blue screen with the text: 'no signal' on it. Took it to Acura dealer and they seemed to have no idea what it is. Will have to come back another day to have them check it out though. ;(
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Its going to hard figuring everything out if you cant track the wire down. Does the remote with the screens have a source button? put a dvd in the factory HU and then try scrolling through the source inputs to see if any of those will signal the monitors input signal.

Hopefully you can get this figured out.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Advanced

I'm not really sure about the remotes. The car came with 3 remotes. 2 for each of the headrest monitors, these only have some really basic buttons like numbers and power. the other one is a larger remote which has no branding on it. It does have everything that you would expect to see in typical remote (source, eject etc.) But it doesn't seem to work with the dvd unit in the dash. Whenever I put a dvd-video disc into the dash it just shows 'dvd-format' and spits the disc out. Like pohljm said, I think I'd need to look for a separate dvd player and/ or figure out where those wires go. Gonna be tough as this car is a CPO and the previous owner has done a lot of customizations of their own (some blinking light on the windshield which I assume is for the aftermarket keyless entry remote) Btw, the responses have been great guys. I really appreciate it. Happy New Year to you all.