False Wall and Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
False Wall and Sound Quality

Hey all! I got in contact with a local subwoofer box builder here in SE Michigan and he had a concern regarding my request. So basically, I have a single 12" Alpine Type-R that I want in an ported enclosure built to spec. I also want a false wall to make it look like it's part of the car. Port placement doesn't matter but I would like it to be the side or the top of the box so it's hidden. He said that he's unsure about how it'll sound because the sound might be trapped inside the trunk because of the false wall. I don't care about the port placement if it's going to improve the sound quality if it's facing the front. However, I would like the false wall/beauty panel. Is there anything I can do to make it sound better or am I better off just ditching the false wall as a whole? I don't mind if it reduces sound quality by a little. Also, those of you that have a similar setup, what were your experiences? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to a similar enclosure: Custom Fitting Car and Truck Subwoofer Boxes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
scrap the ported box and go for an Infinite baffle set up.
then you can create a false wall.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
^^ there it is!

how come you are so set on a false wall? if you are trying to maximize trunk space/usage, just do IB with a false wall or buy one of those custom fabricated corner trunk enclosures. that's what i have and it looks super clean and i have almost complete use of the entire trunk..no false wall needed!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^I suspect he just wants to hide the box/woofer....for thieves?? or hide something behind the wall, like mary jane's flowers?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
scrap the ported box and go for an Infinite baffle set up.
then you can create a false wall.
Would this be ideal if I listen to primarily hip-hop and EDM music that has a lot of bass lines? Also, would an IB setup allow my subwoofer to play at it's best? I'm not familiar with IB setups so I'm not entirely sure how they compare to a ported enclosure.
Originally Posted by sockr1
^^ there it is!

how come you are so set on a false wall? if you are trying to maximize trunk space/usage, just do IB with a false wall or buy one of those custom fabricated corner trunk enclosures. that's what i have and it looks super clean and i have almost complete use of the entire trunk..no false wall needed!
Primarily because it seems to be the cheapest option. I know a custom corner fabricated enclosure could get pretty pricey if done at a shop. Also, I'm not sure if it'd be ideal for the type of music I listen to. I've read online that the Alpine Type-Rs are really made for ported enclosures with at least 1.5 cu. ft.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

^I suspect he just wants to hide the box/woofer....for thieves?? or hide something behind the wall, like mary jane's flowers?
Just to make it seem like it's stock. I try to keep that kind of stuff out of my car, haha
Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Safety Car

lol!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by gopeman
Just to make it seem like it's stock. I try to keep that kind of stuff out of my car, haha

Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Would this be ideal if I listen to primarily hip-hop and EDM music that has a lot of bass lines? Also, would an IB setup allow my subwoofer to play at it's best? I'm not familiar with IB setups so I'm not entirely sure how they compare to a ported enclosure.

Primarily because it seems to be the cheapest option. I know a custom corner fabricated enclosure could get pretty pricey if done at a shop. Also, I'm not sure if it'd be ideal for the type of music I listen to. I've read online that the Alpine Type-Rs are really made for ported enclosures with at least 1.5 cu. ft.
do some research on here, on general google, etc and read up on the differences between the setups. or call your installer and get his thoughts on it. you don't want to not put in the research and then not like what you get. i spent about 3 months researching before my first audio build and i learned a ton.

if you want cheap, go IB. there's basically no enclosure, the false wall won't degrade the output, and it will be low in cost. read up about it on here or DIYMA.

yea those corner enclosures can get pricey, mine was on the cheap side at 250 shipped. just depends on your goals and needs. sounds like IB will work for you. i would not put a ported enclosure or any enclosure, behind a false wall...that would degrade sound quality in my opinion (but then again i'm still somewhat of a rookie when it comes to audio)
The following users liked this post:
gopeman (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
The problem with putting a ported emclosure behind a false wall is that the port may become obstructed which is bad for ported enclosures and will make it mear impossible to integrate your sub ssytem (make it blend and sound right) with your front stage (front dash, door speakers). This may also cause more problems with resonance issues and air noise... Both can limit your sound quality to that of a very mediocre system.

But if you just like the boom in itself... Go for it.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi

Originally Posted by sockr1
do some research on here, on general google, etc and read up on the differences between the setups. or call your installer and get his thoughts on it. you don't want to not put in the research and then not like what you get. i spent about 3 months researching before my first audio build and i learned a ton.

if you want cheap, go IB. there's basically no enclosure, the false wall won't degrade the output, and it will be low in cost. read up about it on here or DIYMA.

yea those corner enclosures can get pricey, mine was on the cheap side at 250 shipped. just depends on your goals and needs. sounds like IB will work for you. i would not put a ported enclosure or any enclosure, behind a false wall...that would degrade sound quality in my opinion (but then again i'm still somewhat of a rookie when it comes to audio)
Okay thanks! I'll keep searching!
Originally Posted by stevemk07
The problem with putting a ported emclosure behind a false wall is that the port may become obstructed which is bad for ported enclosures and will make it mear impossible to integrate your sub ssytem (make it blend and sound right) with your front stage (front dash, door speakers). This may also cause more problems with resonance issues and air noise... Both can limit your sound quality to that of a very mediocre system.

But if you just like the boom in itself... Go for it.
What if I were to place the port in front, so it's on the same panel as the subwoofer? Would that improve sound quality? I don't if it's less loud as long as it sounds good.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

What if I were to place the port in front, so it's on the same panel as the subwoofer? Would that improve sound quality? I don't if it's less loud as long as it sounds good.

​​I might work... As long as the port on either end is not obstructed of air flow. But why not do the IB install? Its probably less work, less weight, more space saving, and will allow you to install up to 2 15" subs or 3 12" subs... You could put a wall behind them but you would want to leave some gaps/ports large enough to allow the subs to work properly.

The other option is to port to the top where the stock sub is/was. I believe others have had success facing the front and ports to the top.

I have an idea of porting the trunk and using the whole thing as a ported enclosure for my own new install. My old car had a sealed box which did sound very good but I want more ouput potential so will likely be doing an IB install with larger subs.

Last edited by stevemk07; 02-15-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Port it up through the rear deck.

false wall all you want. Sound waves from the front of the sub will penetrate the rear seat backs just fine. Infinite baffle would be fine, if 3gs had fold down seats.

Last edited by SocomM4; 02-16-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SocomM4

false wall all you want. Sound waves from the front of the sub will penetrate the rear seat backs just fine. Infinite baffle would be fine, if 3gs had fold down seats.
Are you serious? You would only do IB with fold down seats?

​​​Yeah do the IB.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

In front or up top.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SocomM4

​​I might work... As long as the port on either end is not obstructed of air flow. But why not do the IB install? Its probably less work, less weight, more space saving, and will allow you to install up to 2 15" subs or 3 12" subs... You could put a wall behind them but you would want to leave some gaps/ports large enough to allow the subs to work properly.

The other option is to port to the top where the stock sub is/was. I believe others have had success facing the front and ports to the top.

I have an idea of porting the trunk and using the whole thing as a ported enclosure for my own new install. My old car had a sealed box which did sound very good but I want more ouput potential so will likely be doing an IB install with larger subs.
In front or up top.
I haven't shut down the IB idea at all, it's just something I never really considered or even had much knowledge about. I'm still looking at different setups. Worst case scenario, I just get it ported in the front and remove the false wall if I don't like the sound.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Okie dokie, but I'd call a custom stereo install shop and get some real info.

Last edited by SocomM4; 02-16-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't shut down the IB idea at all, it's just something I never really considered or even had much knowledge about. I'm still looking at different setups. Worst case scenario, I just get it ported in the front and remove the false wall if I don't like the sound.
Experimenting is the best way to learn things. Just dont blow anything.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Go IB and the seat not folding down is meaningless.