DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased the Chinese replacement for my 04 TL. After I cleaned the lens 3 times tonight I am just defeated. So for $170 I'll replace it, and according to the feedback from the sellers customer's and the one guy from our forum, hopefully I'll be good to go!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
6th Gear

Thanks! What an annoying problem. I appreciate taking the time to go through the steps.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM
10th Gear

Talking Boooyah. She works!

So the new DVD unit arrives from china. And I was extremely sceptic about the whole ordeal. So I took apart the unit and got the DVD reader loose except for the ribbon cable connection. Learned about ribbon connections and how to finesse them apart and use the clips ( that was the hardest part of the install). Put it all back together and installed it back in the car. And viola! She lives! I'm looking to sell my baby here in the next year so a working navi was a must. If you have the wherewithal and money to do this, I suggest it.

One thing. Be sure to REMOVE THE DVD FROM THE UNIT BEFORE YOU DISASSEMBLE. Some serious carnage that ensued to get that bad boy out safely.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

so i need to fix my drive should i contact alpine or should i order from alixpress? i wanna be sure the one from alixpress will 100% work tho
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

i did all what you have done ... i have 2005 tsx but i noticed that i have only 4 connectors in the back of my dvd player ........i need you to take a picture with the connectors on just to see what is missing from mine
Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by duggan419
So the new DVD unit arrives from china. And I was extremely sceptic about the whole ordeal. So I took apart the unit and got the DVD reader loose except for the ribbon cable connection. Learned about ribbon connections and how to finesse them apart and use the clips ( that was the hardest part of the install). Put it all back together and installed it back in the car. And viola! She lives! I'm looking to sell my baby here in the next year so a working navi was a must. If you have the wherewithal and money to do this, I suggest it.

One thing. Be sure to REMOVE THE DVD FROM THE UNIT BEFORE YOU DISASSEMBLE. Some serious carnage that ensued to get that bad boy out safely.
Which seller did you go with on aliexpress or was it from a different site? I've been skeptical about the different sellers. But if you show me which one you went with I'm looking to buy asap

Thankyou
Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

I'll give it a try

I have a 2009 MDX Elite. Just last month I also got the screen of death informing me about the navi system not able to read the disc. I took the vehicle into the Acura dealer with the problem. They supposedly took it out and informed me that it was "corroded" and that a refurbished one would set me back about $800.00. I phoned Alpine and asked them about the problem - they didn't know what the heck I was talking about! I took the disc out, cleaned it carefully and put it back in - it booted for a while then the error message came back on. I used the "ruler in the DVD drive" method and again, the navi booted, read accurately for a couple of miles then the message came on again. I will now take the unit out and clean the laser and really, REALLY hope this works.

I'll keep you informed.

Jimmer
Old 04-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't work for me either. I have an 07 TL and did everything that was mentioned on the first page and no luck.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

I have an 04 Rl. and Hotttt Damn if cleaning the lens didn't do the trick for me. Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that the first time. I have an aftermarket navigational dvd player installed but I couldn't use my heater controls. My Acura navi, was acting up so when I unplugged it and plugged it back in, Uh o, please check disk error. I freaked bc I didn't want to pay 300$ for a new one. But thankfully cleaning the lens worked. Good Post Sutitan!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM
3rd Gear

My navigation system turned on and half way it would show the "error disk call dealer", and or unformated disk. I took the drive under the seat out opened it and cleaned it like it was advised in this forum. It worked for a few minutes and then it started the error disk again even more. I notice the lens was clean. So my plan B was to buy the DVD Mechanism on the website that is from China that is advised above for $49 shipping included. I got it today it took 14 days earlier than expected smooth transaction online. I installed it and it is working great. No disk error. Their is a guy on ebay that fixes these I think he just replaces the dvd mechanism like I did for around 299. For $49 I fixed mine. It was very easy just a few screws out and only one connector inside the drive. Very easy took me 30mnts but I was very cautious and took pictures of each step I did that way I remembered how to put it back. Good Luck! If cleaning it doesn't work just replace the mechanism it worked for me!! If I can do it I am a female you guys can do it too.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear

Oh forgot to mention mine is a 2008 Acura MDX
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM
W_L
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by solima4kids
My navigation system turned on and half way it would show the "error disk call dealer", and or unformated disk. I took the drive under the seat out opened it and cleaned it like it was advised in this forum. It worked for a few minutes and then it started the error disk again even more. I notice the lens was clean. So my plan B was to buy the DVD Mechanism on the website that is from China that is advised above for $49 shipping included. I got it today it took 14 days earlier than expected smooth transaction online. I installed it and it is working great. No disk error. Their is a guy on ebay that fixes these I think he just replaces the dvd mechanism like I did for around 299. For $49 I fixed mine. It was very easy just a few screws out and only one connector inside the drive. Very easy took me 30mnts but I was very cautious and took pictures of each step I did that way I remembered how to put it back. Good Luck! If cleaning it doesn't work just replace the mechanism it worked for me!! If I can do it I am a female you guys can do it too.
Where did you get it for $49.00? can you post link
Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...231954078.html

You can also Google the part number to see what is available. The link above is the seller that I bought it from China for $45 plus shipping came out to $58.51 still very cheap!!!!! I received it in 2 weeks they wrapped it pretty good also. can"t complain very happy. For me cleaning the lens didn't work. Now my navigation is working great. NOTE during all this time I never unplugged the battery of the car I just turned it on to get the DVD out and then turned it off and got everything out. Also when I had the error message my satellite radio screen worked all the time. I also notice that when I removed the dvd and turned the car on the screen would not turn on at all. Just an FYI. I am loving having the navigation system working it is very handy.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by solima4kids
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...231954078.html

You can also Google the part number to see what is available. The link above is the seller that I bought it from China for $45 plus shipping came out to $58.51 still very cheap!!!!! I received it in 2 weeks they wrapped it pretty good also. can"t complain very happy. For me cleaning the lens didn't work. Now my navigation is working great. NOTE during all this time I never unplugged the battery of the car I just turned it on to get the DVD out and then turned it off and got everything out. Also when I had the error message my satellite radio screen worked all the time. I also notice that when I removed the dvd and turned the car on the screen would not turn on at all. Just an FYI. I am loving having the navigation system working it is very handy.
so this will work for 06 tl?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

read this carefully ... this worked for me!!

I was very distraught about my Navigation ... spend 31K on a 2009 Elite and the GPS goes down ... mine would freeze - go for about 2 miles then just ... freeze ... then the dreaded "disc error" appeared ... turn the vehicle off ... restart ... then worked perfectly for about two miles then ... freeze ... I searched Google ... researched ... called Alpine (they were ugly to talk to) ... cleaned the laser ... cleaned the disc three times ... pulled the plugs out of the back ... cleaned them ... pulled the unit out and cleaned the laser ... vacuumed the unit ... blew it out with "dust destroyer" ... did everything ... same frigging thing ... the big freeze ... the only thing left was to blame it on the actual DVD before I actually spent the insane price of almost 500 beans to send to Alpine (who would have most likely do the same thing then phone me and tell me ... "sorry man ... your unit is frigged ...) ... last thing to think about ... "is it the DVD??? So (to make this short) ... found a dealer that had a 2009 MDX with the navigation unit ... borrowed their DVD ... put it in mine ... are you ready ... upon putting in the disc I got from the other unit mine "re-initialized" ... I watched what was happening in amazement ... it "re-loaded the data from the other disc and ... are you ready ... it works ... no problems (touch wood) ... my navigation works (touch wood) ... PERFECTLY ... just like old times (touch wood again!!!) ... so people ... before you do anything and certainly before you send it into Alpine (at $500.00 or whatever) ... try this. Let me know if this works for you.

Jim
Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

i sent mine to alpine and im getting it back on Wednesday cant wait!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

So I bought my 2004 RL in March with a scratched up DVD nav disc. Ordered the new 2014 update and my Navigation worked well for about 2 days. Started getting the "disclaimer screen loop" and every now and then it would work. Came across this post after much frustration and decided to give it a try. Followed the directions but I went a step further. I removed the middle piece to gain full access to the lens. Used 4 Q-tips and alcohol. The first one was a little black after rubbing it across the lens but the rest were clean. Reassembled everything and she has been running fine ever since. I just completed this about 2 hours ago but I've turned my car on & off about 5 times since and it's still booting up fine. I'll post again in a week to let everyone know. I"m so glad that I took the time (about 30mins) to do this before spending $$.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I took everything apart and cleaned my lens for my 05 TL.

I used the q-tip/alcohol method, but I also squirted some De-Oxit spray on the lens.....not sure if I should have done that.

I put everything back together, and now I get a screen that first says " Please wait. Now downloading software" for a few seconds then a green screen that says "Please check your disc" and it stays on even after starting the car and running for awhile. I have attached pictures.
Anyone else get this?

I removed the disc, and did notice an oily residue all over the disc...probably from the De-Oxit.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-img_2402.jpg   DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors-img_2401.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Intermediate

I found another supplier of the 04-06 TL DVD/NAV drive unit at a place called Jupoco. Cost is $128 compared to $149 at Aliexpress (both plus shipping).

Here is the web link:

http://www.jupoco.com/dv36t02cdv36t0...340-p-147.html

Last edited by drewk2; 06-01-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drewk2
I found another supplier of the 04-06 TL DVD/NAV drive unit at a place called Jupoco. Cost is $128 compared to $149 at Aliexpress (both plus shipping).

Here is the web link:

is there a way to know if I need to replace the Nav drive or the DVD mechanism ? im confused between these two.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

I used the q-tip/alcohol method, but I also squirted some De-Oxit spray on the lens.....not sure if I should have done that.

I put everything back together, and now I get a screen that first says " Please wait. Now downloading software" for a few seconds then a green screen that says "Please check your disc" and it stays on even after starting the car and running for awhile. I have attached pictures.
Anyone else get this?

I removed the disc, and did notice an oily residue all over the disc...probably from the De-Oxit.

this is exactly what mine does. I have taken it out and cleaned several times, even took it apart to clean the lens and still does the same thing. I do have a brand new navigation disk.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone else get this?

I got this screen the first time I tried to load the disk after cleaning the lens. Ended up working on the third attempt. I then used my Navi hack disk to get rid of the nag screen/add the trip computer and it worked fine. I haven't had any issues since.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Does navigation disk drive have to be installed in the car in order to use functions such as A/C on the screen?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by adrianrmrz18
Does navigation disk drive have to be installed in the car in order to use functions such as A/C on the screen?
The A/C controls on the navi screen are part of the hack. The disk needs to be in, but you also will have to reload the navi hack since the battery and navi drive were disconnected. That's how it was for me anyway.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blueracer17
I got this screen the first time I tried to load the disk after cleaning the lens. Ended up working on the third attempt. I then used my Navi hack disk to get rid of the nag screen/add the trip computer and it worked fine. I haven't had any issues since.

I don't understand "I then used my Navi hack disk to get rid of the nag screen/add the trip computer and it worked fine."

What is this "Navi hack disk" that you speak of?

What does "the nag screen/add the trip computer" mean?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Pro

I don't understand "I then used my Navi hack disk to get rid of the nag screen/add the trip computer and it worked fine."

What is this "Navi hack disk" that you speak of?

What does "the nag screen/add the trip computer" mean?
There is a trip computer locked in the navi system. Once unlocked using a modified disk (used to load the modified files, then regular disk is loaded), you get access to a trip computer, get rid of the OK screen and allows you to change the welcome screen to whatever you want (my avatar is the pic I see when my Navi starts up). The hack also gives you the ability to control the AC via the navigation screen. Sorry for the confusion. There is an entire (long) thread about the "navi hack" for the TL on here.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

One thing that now upsets me is that my clock is now showing 30 minutes too fast.
The owners manual says that the clock is automatically set by the NAV system.
Anyone know if there is a way to get the clock set to the correct time other than fixing/replacing the NAV?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way to get the clock set to the correct time other than fixing/replacing the NAV?
Set the time manually-- Setup, tab 2 or 3, IIRC.
I prefer to have the clock a few minutes fast, so mine is set manually rather than on auto.
Yes, that means the clock must be changed manually for daylight savings time changes.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Set the time manually-- Setup, tab 2 or 3, IIRC.
I prefer to have the clock a few minutes fast, so mine is set manually rather than on auto.
Yes, that means the clock must be changed manually for daylight savings time changes.
The Setup button has no effect. My NAV screen just says "Please Check Your Disc" and doesn't change.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
The Setup button has no effect. My NAV screen just says "Please Check Your Disc" and doesn't change.
Does the DVD drive have the Navi disc in it?
Or is the drive bad?

The only way to set the clock manually is if the Navi is up and running.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
10th Gear

DVD stuck

I tried cleaning the drive but realized the DVD is stuck inside and can't reach the lens
How can I remove the disk
Old 06-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced

What happened to the pics on page 1??
Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
I still see them
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM
10th Gear

I have a 2006 tl-base w/navi. If you buy the disk reader from the link below, are your navi codes still the same?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

WOW, thanks so much for this write up! Photos were clear and steps were easy enough to follow! Saved me a costly replacement for my recently new 3G TL!

Originally Posted by Sutitan
Before I begin, let me just say im not responsible for any damage you cause to your car. Make sure you are confident with the procedure before just diving in. There is a little but of supplimentary info that I wrote on this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post14154808

Im sure alot of people are aware of the issues that the Navi dvd Drive eventually develops. for anyone who hasn't happen yet, it is just a variation of a disk read error when starting up the navigation. In my case, the problem developed. I started out with disk read errors every now and then, to consistently every time I went in my car. Sometimes the navi would manage to boot, but as of recent, it just refused to. I had disconnected the battery the other day, and when I reconnected it, the navi tryed to download the software off the disk. As you can imagine, it didnt work, so I was stuck with a black screen that said "Please Check Disk" on it at all times. My screen was 100% useless.

So I decided to dig around. Alot of people just ended up sending their units to Alpine which they repaired for 158$. As of this year, their prices jumped up to 358$ which is pretty ridiculous. I honestly did not feel like paying that and I figured it would be worth trying a small repair since I am comfortable repairing small electronics

So lets get to the good stuff.

Hope this helps someone out.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Chrispbx
I tried cleaning the drive but realized the DVD is stuck inside and can't reach the lens
How can I remove the disk
Plug the drive back into the car and eject the disk?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:37 PM
2008 Acura TL-S WDP

Does this work for 2008 TL-S?

Sorry ... found my answer ... The TL-S part number is mentioned above by godfather18
Originally Posted by godfather18
Ok so I replaced the DVD Drive mechanism on my 08 TLS and now everything is working perfectly.

07-08 TL & TLS Part number is DV36M110

04-06 TL Part Number is DV36T02C

Hey Guys ... Any one try to find the replacement mechanism for a TL-S?

Is it the same one or different part number?

Thanks!
Ranbir

Last edited by Rana99; 07-12-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Found answer!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM
2008 Acura TL-S WDP

Has anyone tried replacing only this part instead of the whole mechanism?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpin...931827123.html

Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rana99
Has anyone tried replacing only this part instead of the whole mechanism?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpin...931827123.html

Looks interesting....but where do you see where this part is for the 04-06 Acura TL's unit?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM
2008 Acura TL-S WDP

I believe this is the for the 06 unit ... can anyone confirm?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpin...272873675.html

Looks interesting....but where do you see where this part is for the 04-06 Acura TL's unit?

Quick Reply: DIY: How to fix Navi disk read errors