Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a diode from radio shack and hook it up like this to the relay coil,

positive ------ ()()()()()() ------ ground
| |
I-----|<|-------I

The diode should not have any affect on sound per say, only when you turn it on and off. If you have other components hooked up to the +12V of the relay, it will cause feedback to it and cause the voltage to drop temporarily.

This was making my xenarc turn on and off everytime i flipped the switch from PC to XM sound.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

hmm, I guess I just had a cheap relay. Maybe I'll try it again the next time I have the car apart btw, I packaged your camera last night and plan to drop it off today for 2-3 day priority.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Pro

I would really like to hardwire my ipod into my 04 and want it as simple as possible...any thoughts? I want it be come threw the xm input as I dont use that and from all of the forums I have read that seems like the easiest way to do it. Is the 'blitzsafe' the way to go or the PIE X3 from logjam electronics? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
^ Please see the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fish008
I would really like to hardwire my ipod into my 04 and want it as simple as possible...any thoughts? I want it be come threw the xm input as I dont use that and from all of the forums I have read that seems like the easiest way to do it. Is the 'blitzsafe' the way to go or the PIE X3 from logjam electronics? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have tried all of the suggested parts and the only one that worked is the Blitzsafe. You have no control on the iPod with the HU control. But the quality is the best one.
Also I'am in Canada, and it seem's there is a difference in the HU software... So the behavior is a bit weird. You have to double-click on the CD-DVD button to switch to CD-C Mode. But you have to cchange from one mode to another Mode,... Veeeeerrrry Sloooowwwly. Curiously when you start the car and the HU is off, the iPod still's play !!!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stefan2
I have tried all of the suggested parts and the only one that worked is the Blitzsafe. You have no control on the iPod with the HU control. But the quality is the best one.
Also I'am in Canada, and it seem's there is a difference in the HU software... So the behavior is a bit weird. You have to double-click on the CD-DVD button to switch to CD-C Mode. But you have to cchange from one mode to another Mode,... Veeeeerrrry Sloooowwwly. Curiously when you start the car and the HU is off, the iPod still's play !!!
Wow, that doesn't seem like a very good interface to me. I used the OEM iPod interface from Acura and sound quality is great, start up and shut down with vehicle is very prompt, and it always stays charged, plus track to track is very fast. Of course it is set up to run using the 6 premade playlist which wasn't a problem for me.

Using the aux-in (xm input) is always still an option if everything else is not desirable. You can even set it up to charge and turn on and off with the car. However all the controls will be from the iPod itself.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Wow, that doesn't seem like a very good interface to me. I used the OEM iPod interface from Acura and sound quality is great, start up and shut down with vehicle is very prompt, and it always stays charged, plus track to track is very fast. Of course it is set up to run using the 6 premade playlist which wasn't a problem for me.

Using the aux-in (xm input) is always still an option if everything else is not desirable. You can even set it up to charge and turn on and off with the car. However all the controls will be from the iPod itself.
Do you know if the iPod interface for the TL is available separatly ? If yes is compatible with the 2005 TL ?
or you have to buy the Full HU for 1600$ :-)

thanx
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by stefan2
Do you know if the iPod interface for the TL is available separatly ? If yes is compatible with the 2005 TL ?
or you have to buy the Full HU for 1600$ :-)

thanx
I assume you are refering to the Acura interface that I was talking about. The answer is yes it is available seperately as I bought one for the TL and one for my MDX both seperately. It is compatible with the 2005 TL and I don't remember exactly how much it was but it was a couple of bills, no where near $1600.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
what kind of radioshack relay would be needed for this?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Pro

Get the USAspec ipod adaptor. I have had mine for quite a while now and it is great. Great sound quality and there is control through the HU/steering wheel. I think it is great.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Instructor

my question was actually about what diode would be needed, but i figured it out.

the ipod adapter would do me no good since I need a 1/8" stereo plug, not an ipod plug. (unless it had both)

needless to say, I have already wired it up, and it was pretty easy. i am just waiting on my add-a-circuit to show up so I can make the relays live to test.

one more question: since on all four relays, you tie the power and grounds together, couldn't you just get away with one diode across the point where they come together? (or further up the line?)
Old 09-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Instructor

well, i finished it up last night, and it works great. i forgot to put in the diode when i was wiring in the relays, so when i turn off the aux-in while the car is on, i can occasionally see a blip on the nav screen. i will be going back into the trunk to install dom's backup cam unit in a week or so and will add the diodes back in then.

there is no volume loss that i can detect and the entire thing works great! thanks for the low cost solution!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Instructions for 1G diy aux-in on a OE HU?

Hi,

Are there instructions for making a diy aux-in for my ipod on my 97 3.2 TL? Please send me a link if you have them. Thanks. I'd love to get my hands on those, provided that they are easy enough for a layman like me.

Fear and Loathing
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 PM
So not a sociopath

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Bumping this ancient thread I "found" (The link, like many their, doesn't work) in the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum.

I've seen a few posts about cheap/easy AUX inputs for the older 3G's, here it is folks, the mother of cheap/easy.

*Disclaimer - The mod I'm about to explain REPLACES the XM Radio with an AUX input*

First, you need to get your hands on an RCA cable.

Then you need to follow this
until you get the following connection from the head unit exposed:

Name:  9BT8dzp.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  34.0 KB

In the beginning of this thread they're tapping into the same connection, only they're doing it in the trunk where the harness leaves the XM unit and runs up to the head unit.

Use the following guide to wire up your RCA cord and test it out.

Attach the left positive channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the first relay (relay with the red XM wires).
Attach the left negative channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the second relay (relay with the green XM wires).
Attach the right positive channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the third relay (relay with the white XM wires).
Attach the right negative channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the fourth relay (relay with the black XM wires).

Last edited by CrazyEights; 07-08-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Where can I get the high res picture? the picture posted is blurry
Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 PM
7th Gear

I didn't see this mentioned here, so apologies if someone has already said this, but if you don't want to hack up the factory cable, you can buy a Honda Y splitter cable and hack that up. You can just search for that and find it. I got mine for $10 on ebay. I see the first comment over there is a guy who used it to do an aux-in on an '04 TL, so people have definitely found it for this use.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by chusteveb
I've had a lot of success with this version of an audio 'aux in' so I'll share it with you all.

Looking at this wiring diagram, I assumed SYS ACC was switched 12V power, but it does not appear to be the case. Pins 1 and 7 on the connector seem to be a constant 12V. The SYS ACC is 12V when the ignition is off, but it is 0 when the ignition is on. I've got a bluetooth device connected to constant 12V through a switch, but I want it to come on automatically and I Want to keep it in the trunk. Does anyone know what exactly the SYS ACC line does or how to use it? Is there a switched 12V on this connector?

I was thinking I could maybe tie the ground on the bluetooth device to SYS ACC, but I'm thinking it s just a signal that is pulled low when the ignition is on and tying it to the BT ground could damage something.

Thoughts?