DIY audio 'aux in'

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still not sure where to put the Soundgate. There is no room behind the center console. I'm thinking to put it in the storage bin. Or, I can put it under the seat. But, I still need to put the switch somewhere. I'm afraid of putting holes into anything.

Perhaps I could do something like this under the dash and tuck everything out of the way. Seems like the least visibly destructive option.

or this

Can't be too expensive for a dummy panel if I mess up... Only problem is that I still need to locate the line-out cable for the MP3 player some place.

Name:  DSC01460.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  20.0 KB

or...

But, I'd still need to run the RCA cables through there in order for it to work. Not sure where to find a black panel like this to even insert in that slot

Can anyone suggest the easiest route to pass the cable and/or locate the MP3 player?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

I have the Soundgate AUX3 installed in the trunk where the XM reciever is. There is plenty of room back there. I also have my navi converter back there as well. I spliced into the XM line from the rear and got my power from the navi unit. Seemed to me the best way to do it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VtecMW

Can't be too expensive for a dummy panel if I mess up
Thanks.
it costs 1.42 for the dummy switch cover
Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by rbf351
it costs 1.42 for the dummy switch cover
Yeah, I looked at that for switch placement too, but the back is a honeycomb arrangement which makes it tough to drill out and I couldn't fit two rocker switches in. (at least two switches I like)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Yeah, I looked at that for switch placement too, but the back is a honeycomb arrangement which makes it tough to drill out and I couldn't fit two rocker switches in. (at least two switches I like)
yeah, i did it to mine, it was a pain and took a while. What i did was melt most of it out
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

What will you be running up to the center? DVD player?? additional Aux In??? I'm not running an extra Aux in yet, I'm just splitting for the DVD (6 disk changer which is also in the trunk) so, aside from power the only run up the middle I have is the IR eye.
Still looking for a good place for that thinking maybe up by the sunroof controls.

Any suggestions?
I'm just running AUX-in, so I have to run audio cables from the tunk to the center console, and then cables back to complete the circuit for XM.

IR eye by the sunroof controls is the best spot if you can get it there!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ryan c
I have the Soundgate AUX3 installed in the trunk where the XM reciever is. There is plenty of room back there. I also have my navi converter back there as well. I spliced into the XM line from the rear and got my power from the navi unit. Seemed to me the best way to do it.
If your AUX3 is in the trunk, where did you put your switch? If it's in the dash, how did you extend the cable to get it there?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
If your AUX3 is in the trunk, where did you put your switch? If it's in the dash, how did you extend the cable to get it there?
My switches are going right under the mirror controls on the dash. switched + will run along the side rails just inside the bottom of the door back into the trunk to the Aux In.

Another option is to run under the carpet then up the center console and place switches in one of the two boxes under the head unit.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 AM

I'm just running AUX-in, so I have to run audio cables from the tunk to the center console, and then cables back to complete the circuit for XM.

IR eye by the sunroof controls is the best spot if you can get it there!
putting the IR eye up there is a great idea, you can put it where the map lights are, just gotta be careful you don't melt anything
Old 07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm Baaack!

putting the IR eye up there is a great idea, you can put it where the map lights are, just gotta be careful you don't melt anything

Dude it's a remote control not a laser!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Dude it's a remote control not a laser!
DUH, what i mean is if you put the eye in where the lights are you need to be careful you don't melt it from the heat of the light
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm Baaack!

DUH, what i mean is if you put the eye in where the lights are you need to be careful you don't melt it from the heat of the light
Ohhhh ...

I wasn't going to bury it up there I was just going to stick it on .. it's smaller than a dime and black w/ a green led. I'll probably hide the wire until I get up there and then just pop out on the bottom somewhere around the homelink buttons. I'll have to check length though (it's got a long way to go back to the trunk).
Old 07-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Ohhhh ...

I wasn't going to bury it up there I was just going to stick it on .. it's smaller than a dime and black w/ a green led. I'll probably hide the wire until I get up there and then just pop out on the bottom somewhere around the homelink buttons. I'll have to check length though (it's got a long way to go back to the trunk).
i might move mine and put it where the mic hole is

i took it apart last night and found out there is 2 spots for the mic, but only 1 is used and it's on the passenger side, the driver side is a dummy hole
Old 07-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by chusteveb
I've had a lot of success with this version of an audio 'aux in' so I'll share it with you all.

Installing an ‘aux in:’

Obtain 4 relays all of them need to be 5 pole. You can find them at any car audio/ alarm install shop.
Also obtain a RCA cord with at least one side being a female end for both left and right channels (the other end will be cut off and discarded) long enough to go from your relay pack in the trunk to the desired location of your ‘aux in’ connection (up front under the glove, center console, etc.).
Don’t forget about the switch so get one of those if you haven’t already.

You will need to install a switch up front with one side of the switch coming from a 12V source (be safe and fuse it) and the other side going to the set of 4 relays in the trunk.
On the relays you will see numbers adjacent to each of the 5 prongs respectively: 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30.
Take all 4 relays and jump all of the 86’s together and tie in the wire coming from the switch containing the 12V source.
Take all 4 relays and jump all of the 85’s together and tie in a wire that runs to ground.

On the backside of the right rear quarter panel in the trunk is the XM unit. Remove the trunk liner to access this unit and remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold this unit to the trunk support.
The XM unit will have 2 plugs, one is an antenna plug, and the other is the main harness. Remove or cut open a section of the black flex-lume and expose the wires connected to the main harness.
Using the schematics I’ve attached find and cut the appropriate 4 signal wires containing positive and negative for both left and right channels: red, green, white, and black.
Red is the left positive channel, attach the end coming from the XM harness to 87a on the first relay; take the other end of the red wire going into the car and attach it to 30 on the first relay.
Green is the left negative channel, attach the end coming from the XM harness to 87a on the second relay; take the other end of the green wire going into the car and attach it to 30 on the second relay.
White is the right positive channel, attach the end coming from the XM harness to 87a on the third relay; take the other end of the white wire going into the car and attach it to 30 on the third relay.
Black is the right negative channel, attach the end coming from the XM harness to 87a on the fourth relay; take the other end of the black wire going into the car and attach it to 30 on the fourth relay.

Take the RCA cord and from the relay pack route the female end of the RCA cord to where you want your ‘aux in’ to be located.
Cut off the end of the RCA cord by the relay pack to expose the positive and negative of both the left and right channels of the RCA cord.
Carefully strip both the positive and negative of the left and right channels on the cord to expose the bare wire.

Attach the left positive channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the first relay (relay with the red XM wires).
Attach the left negative channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the second relay (relay with the green XM wires).
Attach the right positive channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the third relay (relay with the white XM wires).
Attach the right negative channel of the RCA cord to 87 on the fourth relay (relay with the black XM wires).

Reattach the harness to the XM unit and carefully reinstall everything.

Testing your ‘aux in:’

With the source selected to XM and the switch in the ‘off’ position, XM radio should play as normal.
With the switch in the ‘on’ position, whatever is connected to your aux in should be heard.
Where did this diagram come from? Is it a TSX or a TL? Do they use the same HU?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CJams
Where did this diagram come from? Is it a TSX or a TL? Do they use the same HU?
it's a TL
Old 07-13-2005, 07:21 AM

i just did it tonight, moved the remote sensor to inside the passenger map light, you can't see it and it works perfectly though the clear plastic
Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm Baaack!

i just did it tonight, moved the remote sensor to inside the passenger map light, you can't see it and it works perfectly though the clear plastic
Slick .. nice solution .... did you take the light out? (You were worried about heat a couple of replies back) I suppose if you've already gone to LEDs it wouldn't be a big deal.

I've looked at mine and don't think I have enough lead .. DVD's in the trunk and I only have about 15' of ir lead to play with. Guess I'm coming up in the center console someplace.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Where did everyone put the switches. I was thinking about drilling 2 holes by the shift..
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm Baaack!

2 under the mirror controls by driver's door
Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 AM

Slick .. nice solution .... did you take the light out? (You were worried about heat a couple of replies back) I suppose if you've already gone to LEDs it wouldn't be a big deal.

I've looked at mine and don't think I have enough lead .. DVD's in the trunk and I only have about 15' of ir lead to play with. Guess I'm coming up in the center console someplace.
i left the light in, if you goto LEDs then heat definetly isn't an issue. i'm still using a regular bulb, but i'm not worried about the heat, since the wire is no where near it (i should have taken pics)

what i did find out is if i have the light on then it will not let the remote work properly, just there is too much interference.

if you want just extend the cable and it will reach
Old 07-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Banned

Question

I'm having a problem with my setup. First of all, I want to hook up a Icon DVD100. I have Vsokolov plug and play system.

The video works fine.

I bought a 4pdt relay http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=183011 and this is how i have the wires hooked up. 1-4 - XM receiver, 5-8 - Headunit, 9-12 - RCA wires , 13-14 - ground and power. The rca wires Im using are 2 single stereo wires http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2493. My dvd player has 1 opening for a speaker wire. So I ran a stereo splitter http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2496. 1 wire coming from the back splitting into 2 wires. I only get background sound from the dvd player (background music in movies) and I can't hear people talking. If I put the stereo wire half way I get vocals.

When I switch back to XM I can't hear anything. Is my relay hooked up wrong.

I need HELP... PLEASE...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:25 AM

that link doesn't work for the relay

without that i don't know what you are hooking up where
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Banned

Sorry, this should work... http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=183011
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by AcuraTL2k4
that does work, now what pins are what?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

that does work, now what pins are what?
Sorry for being dumb but that is what I'm trying to figure out. What wires go where. I thought it would work like this 1-4 - XM receiver, 5-8 - Headunit, 9-12 - RCA wires , 13-14 - ground and power but I was only getting background noise from DVD and no vocals.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

rbf351 your PM box is full.

Has anyone used the Jameco relay http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=183011 . What wires did you hook up to what pins.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure of the pin numbers but here is what I did. I think you have your RCA and HU mixed.

There are three sets of 4 pins on this switch and one set of two pins.

The first set of two pins is the power and ground
The next set of four pins goes to the HU
The middle set of four pins goes to the XM
The last set of four pins goes to the aux

These are the wires on the XM that need to be cut and spliced

Red is the left positive channel,
Green is the left negative channel,
White is the right positive channel,
Black is the right negative channel

It is important to add the wires to the switch in the same sequence or you get your channels mixed up.

The power needs to have a toggle switch and fuse.

I did this last weekend and it works great. Mine is an aux in for my ipod, 1,500 songs at my fingertips.

I took some pictures fo the installation. I will try to post some pixs when I get home today or pm me and I can email them to you.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i do not understand any of this............ i do need that AUX input for my rca rd2780 mp3/mp4 player and dont understand all this complex' instructions. i believed that the XM unit was just a reciever and transmitter and it plugged in....... please help
Old 07-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

I have the bus cable (08A31-0E1-010) on order. I should have it some time this week.
Were you able to get the cable? Just wondering how it worked out.

Bryan
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bryanb
Were you able to get the cable? Just wondering how it worked out.

Bryan
I did get the cable, and it worked great! The only tricky part is that the color of the wires do not match the colors for the TL at either the HU or the XM receiver (which is where I decided to use it). So you have to know your pinout positions and rely on that instead of color when you splice the Soundgate switcher in. Otherwise, it worked like a charm!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here are some pixs of my DIY aux in. Some people decide to do from behind the HU: I decide to do it at the trunk. There was plenty of room and running the cable to the storage area was pretty easy. I hopes this helps answer any questions

Here is the relay switch
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the switch with the wires soldered on. I added molex connectors for easy plugin and If I decide not to keep XM I can connect the RCAs directly to the HU cables.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my RCA connection mod. The molex connectors are usually for computers. I purchased them at Radioshack
[IMG][/IMG]

Here the trunk location where I put the wires and relay. I have cut the wires and it's ready to be installed
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is everything hooked up. Notice the 3 molex connectors,one for the XM, one for the RCAs and one for the HU
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the cable run to the center storage console. Under the carpet and up through the center console. The red cable is for the switch which will go where the little light is in the storage compartment.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the center console storage bin with the wires coming out.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the Belkin Ipod charger and audio out for the ipod. The belking unit connects to the bottom of the Ipod and give me audio out too. The switch is in place. If I decide to dump the XM the switch can be replaced with the original light.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the finished project. The belkin wire comes up from the console area near the seat and goes up the neck.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the my Baby

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

king of pain,

very nice writeup. going to try this monday, but i'm going to do it behind the headunit (gotta tune some stuff wiht my video module). will post my pics too
Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced

is there an alternative way to do this without cutting any of the car's wires? Also how can i put a switch on the dummy panel next to the side mirror controls, i need details on how to remove panels and instructions to access the panel to install.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Advanced

anyone???

Originally Posted by jerzeygroove
is there an alternative way to do this without cutting any of the car's wires? Also how can i put a switch on the dummy panel next to the side mirror controls, i need details on how to remove panels and instructions to access the panel to install.
anyone???
Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

If you read through the thread, around page 3 somewhere I think, it references an extention harness and Y harness that can be used and modified instead of cutting the actual factory harness.

Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by jerzeygroove
i need details on how to remove panels and instructions to access the panel to install.
If your talking about the switch cover, take a small screwdriver and insert the blade at the top and pry gently .... The back is honeycombed so it's a pain to drill out, but it's very do-able.

If your looking for trim panels etc, either give 'em a tug and see if they pop off, or search. There's a bunch of threads besides this one that all have great directions. there's also a couple of links inside this thread ... take the time to learn ....
Old 07-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VtecMW
I think I might be able to get it with a little patience and luck. The key is to get the screw driver on top of the connector release button. I was thinking of putting a tie-strap around the existing writing and pulling on the tie strap as I have the release button on the connector held down.

I've already experiemented with it on the Y-harness and it seems to work. The only problem is that the space is so small in the TL. I'll get it one way or another. But, I'm not going to take apart the console to do it.

Would it not just be easier to go to the XM receiver in the trunk attach the harness adapter there ?

It is the same thing right?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Would it not just be easier to go to the XM receiver in the trunk attach the harness adapter there ?

It is the same thing right?

Ok forget my last post....I was halfway through the thread when I decided to respond to that post.

Sorry.

Does anyone have a writeup on using that extra harness from Honda?
Are the colors the same?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro

Geez...no edit functions for posts huh? lol
read
Anyway my question should read above.

Does that extra Y harness that is used upfront on the head unit work for the XM hookup in the trunk at the XM receiver?

If not, is there a extention that does?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Geez...no edit functions for posts huh? lol
read
Anyway my question should read above.

Does that extra Y harness that is used upfront on the head unit work for the XM hookup in the trunk at the XM receiver?

If not, is there a extention that does?

Thanks
The Y-Harness will work at the XM hookup in the trunk, as will the extension sub-harness I am using (don't have the part number in front of me right now). The thing I like about the extension sub-harness is you don't have the superfluous "Y". Just make sure you get the pin-outs right and don't rely on wire colors (they don't match on the sub-harness).

Quick Reply: DIY audio 'aux in'