Converting non-Nav to a Nav unit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Converting non-Nav to a Nav unit?

Hello,

I am looking at a few '05-06 Acura TL's in my area. One I like except it doesn't have Navigation. It's not so much the navigation itself (although that would be nice to have too), but just the general aesthetics and the user interface I prefer of the Nav unit to the standard unit. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to retrofit a Navigation unit and get it up and running in a non-Navigation equipped TL. Or, is it not worth the effort???

I'm guessing they were all "pre-wired" for Navigation, so would just need to Navigation unit and the DVD based player installed and some programming done to work,but I could be wrong.

Any input appreciated.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
costs around 2K... You'll need to rewire the main harness of the car, buy the navi dvd drive, screen and all the wire connectors, then the labor to put it in.

Most folks are going the carpc route with a tablet or some other computing device and moving the non-navi screen.

Honestly wait for a nav-tl vs a non-navi, it's going to make you much happier in the long run.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
costs around 2K... You'll need to rewire the main harness of the car, buy the navi dvd drive, screen and all the wire connectors, then the labor to put it in.

Honestly wait for a nav-tl vs a non-navi, it's going to make you much happier in the long run.
Thanks! That's what I needed to hear.

Anyone here in the Indianapolis area?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
07 08 Acura TL Complete Navigation System Eazy to Install Kit | eBay
Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
buy either car and just put in a nexus 7 tablet. there's a few people on here that posted guides on how to move your non-navi display to a different location and put the nexus 7 as your main screen. i'm currently doing the nexus 7 install on my nav TL because my nav system died 2 years ago and i don't want to pay 400 bucks for 10 year old graphics and maps you need to update every year for 100 bucks. this tablet install will cost me less than 300 and i'm buying top of the line components...so far it looks pretty sweet set up outside of the car
Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockr1
buy either car and just put in a nexus 7 tablet. there's a few people on here that posted guides on how to move your non-navi display to a different location and put the nexus 7 as your main screen. i'm currently doing the nexus 7 install on my nav TL because my nav system died 2 years ago and i don't want to pay 400 bucks for 10 year old graphics and maps you need to update every year for 100 bucks. this tablet install will cost me less than 300 and i'm buying top of the line components...so far it looks pretty sweet set up outside of the car
I've decided I will just try and find a car with Nav for now, but would love to see the Nexus installs when some people get them done.

I don't want to thread jack my own thread, but also interested to know more about your TSW Nurburgring - Tein suspension. Sounds sweet!

I'm new to Acuras after driving BMW's and Audis for the last 10-15 years. Just wanted something (hopefully) more reliable and more affordable to maintain.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
I've decided I will just try and find a car with Nav for now, but would love to see the Nexus installs when some people get them done.

I don't want to thread jack my own thread, but also interested to know more about your TSW Nurburgring - Tein suspension. Sounds sweet!

I'm new to Acuras after driving BMW's and Audis for the last 10-15 years. Just wanted something (hopefully) more reliable and more affordable to maintain.
there's already some nexus 7 installs in the audio section. just search for "nexus 7."

i love the tsw nurburgrings, i used to have a slightly more aggressive wheel setup that kept me from pushing my car when i wanted to and had some rougher ride but when i switched to the tsws i was able to go with a wider tire (comfort) and drive more spirited when i wanted to. i lost about 7-8 pounds per corner when combined with a lighter tire.

my tein setup works very well since i have the wireless edfc kit so i can change my stiffness on the fly, i change it stiffer for me and softer when my wife and family is in the car. looking back i would have saved some money getting the tein street advance instead of the flex (the flex run a little soft dampening wise), but overall the tein drives like a dream. let me know if you have any other questions!

good luck with the car search
Old 09-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Living it up TL style

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you know if this kit that you posted will also work for the 06 Model Base Line? I have been wanting to do this retrofit for quite sometime now.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is one that was done a few weeks ago. Video on the second page.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-04-tl-949451/
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iFreeStylin
Here is one that was done a few weeks ago. Video on the second page.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-04-tl-949451/
This is really slick, and great installation, but I get the sense you have to be a bit geeked out about this stuff and willing to have to do a lot of your own playing around to get to that level of refinement.
Just knowing where I'm at in my life, that's probably not going to happen... or I'd be driving around with my car in some level of disarray for a lengthy period of time.
But, I really love this. As more and more people venture down that path and it becomes easier to find answers and support, I might consider it.

It's an amazingly OEM looking solution! Whoever did that did a great job.

Thanks for passing this on.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is really slick, and great installation, but I get the sense you have to be a bit geeked out about this stuff and willing to have to do a lot of your own playing around to get to that level of refinement.
Just knowing where I'm at in my life, that's probably not going to happen... or I'd be driving around with my car in some level of disarray for a lengthy period of time.
But, I really love this. As more and more people venture down that path and it becomes easier to find answers and support, I might consider it.

It's an amazingly OEM looking solution! Whoever did that did a great job.

Thanks for passing this on.
No problem. I'm thinking about doing this myself but my only concern is what to do with my OEM backup camera (07with nav).