Coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Coincidence?

Had to replace the passenger door speaker recently because, at certain volumes, it would make a crackling noise. Opened the door panel and noticed the speaker had cracks.

So I purchased some Polk DB651, and had a audio installer put them on. Long story short, now BOTH speakers (front driver door and passenger door) do not work. And to add insult to injury they told me that the rod for my driver door opening mechanism (from the inside) was loose/damaged. So now I cannot open the door from the inside (driver door only).

The installer told me that more than likely the amp went bad. Knowing that the speakers (OEM/stock) worked before, is that true? Came in with them needing to install speakers to fix one problem, and left with two new problems.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Champ! you a doctor yet!??? ??!??!?!??!

and it is quite possible that the amp was cutting out, making the speakers crackly.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
Champ! you a doctor yet!??? ??!??!?!??!

and it is quite possible that the amp was cutting out, making the speakers crackly.
Switched professions/careers. How you been? Still have the TL?

Yeah it may be just that, just annoying that it happened at once. May let my cousin borrow the TL so trying to kink some things out before I do.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
switched!?!?!??! tell me more!

yep, probably will never sell the TL. as they age and depreciate, it's worth MORE to me than I would ever get out of it, money wise. unless something catastrophic happens to it, it will be with me for a long long while .

and crackly speakers/sound is a tell tale sign the amp is cutting out. you can try junk yard amp/ebay used...
or you can grab the replacement amp that a vender was selling on here? it had better specs than OEM and still fit and bolted right up into OEM location. might be pricey tho.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
There's a small clip that is extremely easy to break when taking off the door cards, and if it breaks the inside door latch won't work. I can almost guarantee that is what broke when they took your door out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-cable-631638/

Last edited by alexb92; 02-06-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
switched!?!?!??! tell me more!

yep, probably will never sell the TL. as they age and depreciate, it's worth MORE to me than I would ever get out of it, money wise. unless something catastrophic happens to it, it will be with me for a long long while .

and crackly speakers/sound is a tell tale sign the amp is cutting out. you can try junk yard amp/ebay used...
or you can grab the replacement amp that a vender was selling on here? it had better specs than OEM and still fit and bolted right up into OEM location. might be pricey tho.
Went the business route. Planning on opening a investment/VC firm. That's my idea for the TL. It is my daily, and drive the GS350 for the weekend driver.

I was thinking about getting one from Marcus, but may end up purchasing a 2-channel or 4-channel and just get it done. Don't plan on getting an aftermarket sub since I do not drive the car much anymore.

Originally Posted by alexb92
There's a small clip that is extremely easy to break when taking off the door cards, and if it breaks the inside door latch won't work. I can almost guarantee that is what broke when they took your door out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-cable-631638/
You the best. I was about to ask if it is a cable or a rod. The rod is part of the actuator and is $90+tax, while the cable is $15+tax. The audio shop said they'd install it for me for free when I get the amp installed. Thanks!