Bluetooth Streaming Products-Best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Bluetooth Streaming Products-Best?

I recently read a post about a "HTC45", or something to that effect. Other options like DICE and USA Spec and iSimple exist too. If I'm screwing this up so far with names and manufacturers I apologize in advance. However, I can't seem to find a thread that comes to some sort of conclusion as to which product is best out of the most current models available. I own a 2006 w/o navi and would like to stream Bluetooth music via my iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 10.2 while still keeping the XM tuning so I can continue to use my subscription. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
https://www.usaspec.com/p-315-bt45-hon3.aspx

You can find them on other sites such as Amazon for much cheaper.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
do you have an aux jack in your car? if you do, there's a $30 solution
Old 01-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
do you have an aux jack in your car? if you do, there's a $30 solution
2006 does not have aux.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Alex is right. Just got the BT45-HON3 in the mail today. Looking forward!
Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Simple is32 works ok. I ultimately decided to replace factory radio in mine. it requires bypassing factory amp. Theres a mounting kit available on ebay. I replaced it with a Pioneer DDIN unit. to me it's the only way to go. You can retain steering wheel controls and hands free calling. alot of work but I'm an installer so wasn't too bad. if your interested I'll fill you in and post pics.
The following users liked this post:
MI6 (02-04-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

I'll get back to you on this one later. I agree 110% with the double DIN. I have an install kit specifically computer machined for our cars. I'll provide a link later. It's $200+ but worth every last penny!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:31 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

With my son's skiing lessons costing $710 for a whopping 5 days a whack I had to change course.

Here's the link:

http://krankitup.com/acura-tl-kit/
Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI6
With my son's skiing lessons costing $710 for a whopping 5 days a whack I had to change course.

Here's the link:

http://krankitup.com/acura-tl-kit/
I'm not sure which kit it is I have. looks identical to the one you posted but I got it on ebay for $80. came with the harness and brackets like that one. I'm really happy with the outcome of mine. looks and sounds great so if it's in the budget I'd do it.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have looked up that same topic. I have found two devices that stood out to me. The USA SPEC BT45-HON3 and there is an Audivox device with DICE in the name or description. Those have seemed like the best options. The USA SPEC BT45-HON3 seems to be the better of the two. I want one of those Nexus 7 setups that the guys in the forum talk about so much. It is SWEEEEEEEET!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterABdub
I have looked up that same topic. I have found two devices that stood out to me. The USA SPEC BT45-HON3 and there is an Audivox device with DICE in the name or description. Those have seemed like the best options. The USA SPEC BT45-HON3 seems to be the better of the two. I want one of those Nexus 7 setups that the guys in the forum talk about so much. It is SWEEEEEEEET!
nexus 7

plus if you have an android phone you can use tablet talk and hook your phone text/calls to the tablet i believe (unfortunately i don't have an android phone)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Originally Posted by marxw13
Simple is32 works ok. I ultimately decided to replace factory radio in mine. it requires bypassing factory amp. Theres a mounting kit available on ebay. I replaced it with a Pioneer DDIN unit. to me it's the only way to go. You can retain steering wheel controls and hands free calling. alot of work but I'm an installer so wasn't too bad. if your interested I'll fill you in and post pics.
I've decided to go your route marxw13 and go ahead with installing my Pioneer AVH-6200NEX with navigation (I have the base model no/navi).

I've done a ton of research and there's a lot of threads on AZ that talk about modding the stock stereo system while keeping the OEM head unit (this is an AMAZING thread: ( https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/diy-aftermarket-amp-install-speaker-install-audiocontrol-matrix-install-w-pics-580314/ )

...but since you and I will have an aftermarket head unit how do we keep it so that we can keep the center channel still working? That is, the front dash speaker in the middle?

I have two amps ready to go--one dedicated to my sub and the other a 4-channel amp. Do we cut all the wires going going from and to the head unit from the stock amp in the front passenger side kick panel? That is, cut all of them except for the pos/neg to that center speaker and somehow tie it in to the front door speakers?

That damn front center speaker...I definitely want to keep it but don't know how to wire it with the Pioneer HU and there's not a lot of info cause' most people it seems keep their stock HU and just modify it, as illustrated in the link I provided above...any and all help is VERY appreciated.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Instructor

So first off i didnt retain my center channel speaker. I never noticed a difference either and it turns out its because the center channel only plays if listening to audio specifically recorded in 5.1 format, or so Crutchfield says. So i never got any use from it anyway. I think the hands free link audio may come through the center channel as well but since your replacing that with the hands free built into your Pioneer that wont matter either. Keep in mind what a center channel is supposed to do, its specifically for vocals and to create a soundstage. Your Pioneer radio isnt equipped to properly route vocals to a center channel , thats what the factory amp does. In order for it to work the way its supposed to you would have to create another channel altogether and the only way to do that is an audio processor. Not to say you cant just piggyback it off of one or two of the channels on your new amp and make it play, but it will play full range which isn't what its designed to do. If thats what your looking to do, as long as the total impedence at the amp isnt below 2 ohms you could theoretically run it in parallell off one of the front outouts, but Ive never tried this and wouldnt recommend it. I thought about your idea with keeping the factory amp to power it as well. It wont work because the signal from your new radio is high level and will feed WAY to much volume into the factory amp and it will sound terrible. As far as technique the way I recommend doing the 4 channel amp Install is buying a roll of whats called speedwire. Its basically 4 pairs of speaker wire plus a remote wire wrapped up together into one heavy cable. Remove the factory amp altogether, cut off the plug on the output side of the amp and make all your connections there. Then run the speedwire back to your new amp and bam all you have to do is connect it to the speaker output. I stressed out about the center channel myself but in my opinion it wasnt worth worrying about. On another note you'll need a Maistro SW interface if you want to retain the functionality of the answer/end call buttons on your steering wheel and youll need to run a wire up into the hands free module on the headliner by the overhead lights. if you have any other questions let me know.
MI6 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I actually have a couple of rolls of speedwire on hand so that will make things easier.

My biggest problem is lack of knowledge. I've never hitched up a 4-channel amp before....only amps to power subs.

I guess I know a lot less about this than I thought I did. Once I run the speedwire to the amp I just use the line level outputs on the 4-channel amp? No RCA's?

Now for the embarrassingly dumb question: where does the HU tie into all of this? I mean, how do I get the signal from the Pioneer to the amp? I don't use the pre-amp outputs I take it...unless I use the supplied harness from the HU to tap into the wires on the output side of the factory amp? Then I would have signal right? Then use the Pioneer RCA pre-amp outputs and feed them to my 4-channel amp in the trunk?

I'm sorry, I'm full of stupid questions tonight. Ask RonA. I can't even PM right. I should probably not be using my iPhone for this as it's making everything a PITA.

As for the wire running to where the roof lights are...I was unaware of that too. Is that the microphone I take it? I admit it: I'm lost. Maybe I need sleep or something. Burning the candle at both ends lately. Thank you for your patience.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI6
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I actually have a couple of rolls of speedwire on hand so that will make things easier.

My biggest problem is lack of knowledge. I've never hitched up a 4-channel amp before....only amps to power subs.

I guess I know a lot less about this than I thought I did. Once I run the speedwire to the amp I just use the line level outputs on the 4-channel amp? No RCA's?

Now for the embarrassingly dumb question: where does the HU tie into all of this? I mean, how do I get the signal from the Pioneer to the amp? I don't use the pre-amp outputs I take it...unless I use the supplied harness from the HU to tap into the wires on the output side of the factory amp? Then I would have signal right? Then use the Pioneer RCA pre-amp outputs and feed them to my 4-channel amp in the trunk?

I'm sorry, I'm full of stupid questions tonight. Ask RonA. I can't even PM right. I should probably not be using my iPhone for this as it's making everything a PITA.

As for the wire running to where the roof lights are...I was unaware of that too. Is that the microphone I take it? I admit it: I'm lost. Maybe I need sleep or something. Burning the candle at both ends lately. Thank you for your patience.
No worries man, Im glad to be of help. As far as the signal from the head unit to the amp. You run RCA cables from the head unit to the amp the same as you would with a subwoofer amp install. The speedwire comes in to make things easier when connecting the amp to the speakers. Instead of running wire to each speaker individually, it just makes sense to utilize the factory wiring thats already in place and just connect to it at a location where you can access all the speaker wires in one place (at the output harness of the factory amp). Once you purchase a Maestro SW interface fornyour steering wheel controls it will need to be flashed to your vehicle on Maestros website. its free to do this and comes with the usb cable. After flashing you can download the vehicle specific install instructions on the website. You can do it but it is a big job. Dont be intimidated. I had about 5 years installing 6 days a week by the time I came across this project on my car so I lucked out.
MI6 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

You are the absolute best. Now that I've had some sleep I can't believe I didn't understand that last night. I've already memorized everything to take apart the car item by item and plan to take out the rear seat, the front seats, rear deck, how and where to route the wiring (power and now the speedwire) so I'm good to go.

I'm fairly sure I can get this accomplished in about 6 hours to be liberal. I've ordered the Maestro kit so as soon as that arrives I'll program that too. I'll do the rest of the install first.

I need to figure out about that wire you mentioned that goes to the roof: what it is and what I'm supposed to do about it (such as tapping into a certain wire behind the HU.

The biggest annoyance of all? The bloody dimming settings on the dashboard. Every time I start my car (I'm sure most people have this problem) it resets back to the original brightest setting. I'd love to find a way around that one!!

Thanks again, you've been extremely patient and helpful!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

I actually ordered the Maestro last night and over-nighted it so it will be here this afternoon.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:44 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Maybe this will fix my dashboard light dimness level...

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-generation-tl-2004-2008-93/how-permanently-set-dashboard-lights-brightness-2006-acura-tl-862143/
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI6
You are the absolute best. Now that I've had some sleep I can't believe I didn't understand that last night. I've already memorized everything to take apart the car item by item and plan to take out the rear seat, the front seats, rear deck, how and where to route the wiring (power and now the speedwire) so I'm good to go.

I'm fairly sure I can get this accomplished in about 6 hours to be liberal. I've ordered the Maestro kit so as soon as that arrives I'll program that too. I'll do the rest of the install first.

I need to figure out about that wire you mentioned that goes to the roof: what it is and what I'm supposed to do about it (such as tapping into a certain wire behind the HU.

The biggest annoyance of all? The bloody dimming settings on the dashboard. Every time I start my car (I'm sure most people have this problem) it resets back to the original brightest setting. I'd love to find a way around that one!!

Thanks again, you've been extremely patient and helpful!
The factory Bluetooth module is located up top by the sunroof switch and overhead lights. Your just tagging a wire at that module in order to make the answer and end call buttons on the steering wheel work with your new radio. When you print the Maestro instructions for your car it will tell you the specifics like which wire and the wire color. It will also tell you how to integrate it with your radio. Its been a couple years now so I don't recall the details. the sunroof switch pops out if I remember correctly and theres a screw behind it and ultimately the whole panel comes down thus revealing the module. you may have to google this procedure if you cant figure it out though. ive never had an issue with that dimmer you mentioned either, thats odd to me. I leave mine set half way and it always stays set.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Instructor

@m16 i tried messaging you back and it says you dont allow personal messages or something like that. the wire colors at the amp are:
LF: lt green+, purple-
RF blue+, red -
LR brown/white +, red/yellow -
RR red/blue +, yellow-
Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Aftermarket HU / Factory Mic Integration

Resurrecting this thread I started ages ago...

Does anyone know what wire to tap near the Bluetooth/HFL module near the front headliner lights so I can connect my new Pioneer head unit (HU) to the factory mic?

I believe the factory mic is located near the same area as the Bluetooth/HFL (Hands Free Link) unit. Is there a way to integrate a HU to the factory mic? Anyone attempted this?

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
MI6,

I recently installed the Pioneer AVH-X390BS and utilized the Axxess Interface (ASWC-1) for steering wheel controls. I remove the HFL Interface since it won't be used. I tapped the "Orange" wire to connect to the ASWC-1. Lastly,I removed the OEM microphone and place the microphone that came with my Pioneer HU in the same place ran the wire down the A-Pillar. I had to dremmel a little of the casing to get the aftermarket microphone to sit properly (downward facing). I then used hot glue to hold in place. One you remove the HFL Interface, it will be obvious where the location of the OEM microphone is located. Below is a photo of my install. The trim pieces are cover in 3M 1080 Brushed Titanium Vinyl Wrap. (BR230). I have to do a little touch up work. The right trim piece is showing a little of the half circle. I was able to secure a extra set from a local junk yard and I intend to paint those to determine which i like best (painted or vinyl wrap.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157225146@N07/, on Flickr
Old 03-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
MI6,

Just to clarify, I don't think there is a way to integrate the OEM microphone with the Pioneer HU. There was talk about this, but it was determined it would be extremely difficult and probably not worth the time without being 100 percent sure it would work. It was extremely simple adding the Pioneer microphone in the same location. The Orange wire I was referring to in my previous post was to connect to the after steering wheel interface. Hopefully this helps....
Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

This is extremely helpful; thank you so much. I’ll be doing this today!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I'm posting because the original subject seemed to point to this type of question, but I'm assuming there's nothing that would connect into the aux on my 08 non-nav that would switch between bluetooth and XM? I'm guessing an entirely new HU would be needed for that type of operation because the radio wouldn't know when to interrupt? Sorry if this is the wrong place, but the original question seemed to point to bluetooth but keeping XM. I don't mind Waze running, but I don't want to pay to stream Pandora over data all the time.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

I ended up using the USA-SPEC model. It allowed me to listen to channel XM2 and listen to whatever I wanted while the USA-SPEC unit permanently used the XM1 channel for Bluetooth purposes. It’s a great choice.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:45 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was it a plug and play? do you have any pics on how you did it? thanks,
Old 03-13-2018, 12:14 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by marxw13
how did you bypass the amp?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MI6
I ended up using the USA-SPEC model. It allowed me to listen to channel XM2 and listen to whatever I wanted while the USA-SPEC unit permanently used the XM1 channel for Bluetooth purposes. It’s a great choice.
did you ahave to bypass anything? have pics on the installation? thanks