Aftermarket Stereo & Subwoofer Questions! **NEWBIE**

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bchester6
That Xtant 1000x is gonna destroy almost any sub you hook up to it... do yourself a favor and get a 4 ohm sub that will take about 600 watts rms. If you get a 2 ohm sub it will be WAY too much for your front comps to keep up with. You will also be upgrading your electical system cuz that thing will pull a ton of current. We won't even get into sound dampening...
Oh i have a roll of dynamat, and lots of Zero gauge left over from my last build that didnt workout so well. The sundown is a 2 Ohm sub?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I hear you there I am all for direct wiring (passive) with soldering and heat shrink. I'm not sure that adding to the signal chain is worth it in the end as most people that run active have no clue how to set their DSP correctly. Slopes, Q, curve, Fs, etc... are terms that most people aren't familiar with and don't understand so they just turn knobs on their DSP to achieve the sound that they want which just LOUD!! Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed tuning many installs with DSP's but I sure like simple plug and play systems still.
As far as NVX tweeters go, I have never heard them but that's because the company is fairly new and I just don't know anyone that runs them around here. Having said that, ring radiator designs are always a plus and it can play down low (Fs= 800hz) which is always a bonus as it will bring that sound stage up more. Morel is Morel and you always know what you're gonna get there a proven winner time and again

Last edited by Bchester6; 02-13-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Pro

Also, I try to stick with tweeters that have fluid cooling systems (ferrofluid) to dissipate heat especially if your running significant power to them.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Looks like i gotta spend some more more =( UGh lol
Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by 03max6spd
Looks like i gotta spend some more more =( UGh lol
Not necessarily bro. You've got very very good components in place so you ain't far from having a great SQ/SQL system not to mention very loud. Depending on your listening behaviors you will just have to gain everything correctly but your front stage components will be the "measuring stick" for your system because the sub will have ton of headroom just due to the power you're sending it. Headroom in an audio system is GOOD problem to have so enjoy and tune away but get those nice Iridiums installed properly to get your full potential and then go from there.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Not necessarily bro. You've got very very good components in place so you ain't far from having a great SQ/SQL system not to mention very loud. Depending on your listening behaviors you will just have to gain everything correctly but your front stage components will be the "measuring stick" for your system because the sub will have ton of headroom just due to the power you're sending it. Headroom in an audio system is GOOD problem to have so enjoy and tune away but get those nice Iridiums installed properly to get your full potential and then go from there.
Im just trying to avoid doing any custom fiber glassing or anything crazy for the midrange speakers, trying to keep it all as simple as possible. But as you said you dont recommend putting them in the rear deck, so i dont know where else to put them. As for the sub i still have to have my friend make the box for me, i was thinking to remove the factory sub and port the lows through the stock sub opening into the car. Eventually ill get cross overs/EQ's to tune and clean up the music further. im just tired of looking at these speakers and amp under my bed lol
Old 02-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Im just trying to avoid doing any custom fiber glassing or anything crazy for the midrange speakers, trying to keep it all as simple as possible. But as you said you dont recommend putting them in the rear deck, so i dont know where else to put them. As for the sub i still have to have my friend make the box for me, i was thinking to remove the factory sub and port the lows through the stock sub opening into the car. Eventually ill get cross overs/EQ's to tune and clean up the music further. im just tired of looking at these speakers and amp under my bed lol
I looked the specs on what i believe is the midbass in your 3-way set. It has a frequency response up to 5k so you shouldnt have much trouble making it a two way system. Sinve you already have the tweeters installed, all you have to do is install the midbasses in the doors... You may need to trim the sheet metal a little. I have used a dremel in the past but an angle grinder may be quicker. Definitely lay down some deadening materials and plug up holes in the door especially closest to the speaker. The idea is to isolate the front of the speaker from the rear.

Once you have those installed you can modify your tweeter install to match them to your liking. My guess is you will want to add some resisters to the tweeter to bring the level down a little. (The passive crossover that comes with them probably does this except it is for a 3 way design so you would emd up having a hole in the midrange if you used it) You dont need any crossover parts for the midbass as above 5k you wont hear much from it unless you put your head directly in front (off-axis res ponse will be limited starting around 2500khz providing a natural rolloff which you can then mate the tweeter to.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevemk07
I looked the specs on what i believe is the midbass in your 3-way set. It has a frequency response up to 5k so you shouldnt have much trouble making it a two way system. Sinve you already have the tweeters installed, all you have to do is install the midbasses in the doors... You may need to trim the sheet metal a little. I have used a dremel in the past but an angle grinder may be quicker. Definitely lay down some deadening materials and plug up holes in the door especially closest to the speaker. The idea is to isolate the front of the speaker from the rear.

Once you have those installed you can modify your tweeter install to match them to your liking. My guess is you will want to add some resisters to the tweeter to bring the level down a little. (The passive crossover that comes with them probably does this except it is for a 3 way design so you would emd up having a hole in the midrange if you used it) You dont need any crossover parts for the midbass as above 5k you wont hear much from it unless you put your head directly in front (off-axis res ponse will be limited starting around 2500khz providing a natural rolloff which you can then mate the tweeter to.

The midbass is the 3" speaker or the 6"? it sucks i spent all this money on these speakers only to make this a 2 way set up -___- and there are resistors installed on the tweeters already. The guy that modified my stock radio and amp, installed resistors as you said to bring the level down, and he also made them plug and play so they plug right into the stock tweeter wire as if it were oem. I'm just looking to utilize all the speakers in this set up, only question is how without doing custom fiberglass work, etc.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Pro

Well if you're not going to make a home for those mids then go 2-way and be done it will still sound excellent. I believe your amp has processing with eq or is that in the HU? As far as your sub, are you going for a sealed or ported enclosure?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Well if you're not going to make a home for those mids then go 2-way and be done it will still sound excellent. I believe your amp has processing with eq or is that in the HU? As far as your sub, are you going for a sealed or ported enclosure?
The mids cant go in the rear deck right? where could they go and what would i wire them into? i believe its in the HU, i could be wrong though. The guy that modified both swears by the stock stuff, im going with Ported enclosure. My friend thats making the box has been doing audio setups for over 17 years and owned his own shop at one point before being deployed overseas, were gonna work on that in the spring.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

The mids cant go in the rear deck right? where could they go and what would i wire them into? i believe its in the HU, i could be wrong though. The guy that modified both swears by the stock stuff, im going with Ported enclosure. My friend thats making the box has been doing audio setups for over 17 years and owned his own shop at one point before being deployed overseas, were gonna work on that in the spring.
Not really worth i stalling them in the back by themselves... Better off with the stock speakers back there because they see a pretty full range signal. It is unfortunate that you cannot utilize the three way setup but unless you are willing to fabricate something that is just the way it is in this car.

Processing is done both at the hu and the amp. I believe there is some time alignment from the hu and then crossover work is done by the amp. This is why I recommend utilizing the preamp signal for sub work. The signal from the stock amp is tapered down low (i.e. not flat response and requires eq to compensate) amd also sounds muddy.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Not really worth i stalling them in the back by themselves... Better off with the stock speakers back there because they see a pretty full range signal. It is unfortunate that you cannot utilize the three way setup but unless you are willing to fabricate something that is just the way it is in this car.

Processing is done both at the hu and the amp. I believe there is some time alignment from the hu and then crossover work is done by the amp. This is why I recommend utilizing the preamp signal for sub work. The signal from the stock amp is tapered down low (i.e. not flat response and requires eq to compensate) amd also sounds muddy.
Well as fabrication goes, what are my options, and once the speakers are mounted in where could i wire them in? Preamp signal? you mean wire in the sup before the amp? sorry im still fairly new to a lot of this audio stuff.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Well as fabrication goes, what are my options, and once the speakers are mounted in where could i wire them in? Preamp signal? you mean wire in the sup before the amp? sorry im still fairly new to a lot of this audio stuff.
IMO it would be too much work unless your friend wants to do something... Ppl have put them mostly in the footwells... I wouldnt want to. Actually I would prefer a two way setup myself.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Pro

The midbass is the 3" speaker or the 6"? it sucks i spent all this money on these speakers only to make this a 2 way set up -___- and there are resistors installed on the tweeters already. The guy that modified my stock radio and amp, installed resistors as you said to bring the level down, and he also made them plug and play so they plug right into the stock tweeter wire as if it were oem. I'm just looking to utilize all the speakers in this set up, only question is how without doing custom fiberglass work, etc.
midbass = 6 inch
midrange= 3 inch
you have to put the six inch speakers in your door. Putting them in the rear deck would be a total let down. At this point your 3 inch midrange speakers are are probably going to stay under your bed if you don't want to do some fabricating.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Pro

It's going to sound good regardless.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Instructor

midbass = 6 inch
midrange= 3 inch
you have to put the six inch speakers in your door. Putting them in the rear deck would be a total let down. At this point your 3 inch midrange speakers are are probably going to stay under your bed if you don't want to do some fabricating.
Okay, well lets see i did do fabrication, with the stock amp and stock radio both modified, where would i wire the midrange speakers in? Would wiring them from the rear deck but having the speakers mounted up front work?

IMO it would be too much work unless your friend wants to do something... Ppl have put them mostly in the footwells... I wouldnt want to. Actually I would prefer a two way setup myself.
I prefer the 3 way setup, guess i should have just sold these when i had the chance, spent all this money on a three way speaker setup only to end up using it as a 2 way....
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Instructor

I assume id need something like this done? if his wasnt so expensive, id consider buying although it looks rather........big

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...hipped-949993/
Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Pro

IDK man I suppose you could run them off of the rear channels with a cap inline as I would assume the amp is sending a full signal to the rears but... and you hope that your gear fits in HIS custom molds but I didn't see any specs or dimensions on the link so that's a shot in the dark not worth taking in my opinion. Are you're tweets mounted in dash now?

Last edited by Bchester6; 02-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Instructor

IDK man I suppose you could run them off of the rear channels with a cap inline as I would assume the amp is sending a full signal to the rears but... and you hope that your gear fits in HIS custom molds but I didn't see any specs or dimensions on the link so that's a shot in the dark not worth taking in my opinion. Are you're tweets mounted in dash now?
Running them off the rear channel with a cap does sound like a good idea. I didnt see specs on his setup sadly, my tweeters are mounted in the stock location with caps in place, and they were made plug and play with the stock harness.

As far as the midrange, if i CAN indeed do what you suggested with running it off the rear channel, then im willing to go custom fab for the midrange, then the DLS Mid bass can go in the doors with some dynamat, then later on i can upgrade more things.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Pro

I just want to clarify that I'm not recommending you run them off of the rear channel but you seem adamant about placing those midranges somewhere in your vehicle. Keep in mind should you do it this way you won't have much (if any) control over them. I have never run speakers in this fashion so I assume that you will be relegated to using your fader on the head unit to attenuate or increase volume levels. Like I said, you're into the unexplored areas of space and time continuum.Proceed at your own risk haha.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Instructor

I just want to clarify that I'm not recommending you run them off of the rear channel but you seem adamant about placing those midranges somewhere in your vehicle. Keep in mind should you do it this way you won't have much (if any) control over them. I have never run speakers in this fashion so I assume that you will be relegated to using your fader on the head unit to attenuate or increase volume levels. Like I said, you're into the unexplored areas of space and time continuum.Proceed at your own risk haha.
youre scaring me LOL dammmiittt i dont even know what to do at this point now!!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

youre scaring me LOL dammmiittt i dont even know what to do at this point now!!
Do what you want. Both me and chester think you should just try the two way setup for now.... If you dont want to do that, then don't?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Pro

Do what you want. Both me and chester think you should just try the two way setup for now.... If you dont want to do that, then don't?
What he said... the message I'm trying to convey isn't meant to scare you it just seems like you're trying to put a round peg into a square hole.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Instructor

What he said... the message I'm trying to convey isn't meant to scare you it just seems like you're trying to put a round peg into a square hole.
Fair enough, ill do the Two way for now when the weather warms up, along with the dynamat in the door and the Sub/amp install. Thanks for the advice and input guys!