2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
From looking at how sockr has everything set-up, I don't see why this wouldn't work. I am basically by-passing the custom switch and just changing those through the HU.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTLoud
From looking at how sockr has everything set-up, I don't see why this wouldn't work. I am basically by-passing the custom switch and just changing those through the HU.
Gotcha. I don't have an aux jack installed yet, so if I can just route through the head unit that would be great. Let me know what kinda materials I'll need to pick up if you do end up trying it out.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Bchester6
Well done Dave and it was even more impressive seeing it in person the other day. You're doing what Acura should have done years ago bro!! Something tells me you like this kind of stuff
haha, maybe i secretly do, thanks brian! i agree there's no reason car manufacturers shouldn't be going this route years ago! i still need to try to fix the ground loop you and chris troubleshot for me, i might open it up today and try to hook up a ground wire between my oem headunit ground and my aftermarket amp ground. i found some extra 4ga wire i had too so that should help. did you finish your sound deadening?

I think by installing an aftermarket headunit, I have actually made this install a lot easier for myself.

Okay, so in words, here is what my wiring is going to look like:
  • Cig Outlet + and -
    • Neg: Splice from HU wiring harness adapter
    • Pos: Splice from HU wiring harness adapter (Switched ignition power) - Do I need to add an in-line fuse?
  • DAC:
    • Can be run into the back of my head unit, HOPEFULLY! I will test this weekend and see if the HU will recognize the DAC as an input. I can potentially go with USB, I have 2 inputs. I also have 2 Aux inputs on the unit, one in front, one in rear, which is pretty hype, considering an application like this one. Currently I connect my iPhone via USB to the HU because I believe the sound quality is better than Aux. Plan to be able to switch between tablet and iPhone as desired.
I believe that would be it for wiring, except for everything involved with the back-up camera. Do you see any holes in my layout? I can post a diagram if it makes things easier and you're willing to help, of course.

With this set-up, my goal is to be able to just plug my iPhone into the car for audio on a typical day for quick and easy audio. If I am traveling and need GPS, I guess the goal is to set my phone up to tether and have the phone be my hotspot. Can the iPhone be used as a hotspot? If it can't, I guess I am SOL on GPS (Waze) unless I somehow set-up 4G data on my tablet?

I believe the only truly difficult part is with the relocation of the HVAC controls to the factory clock location on the dash (Non-Nav model). It looks more tedious than anything though since I believe you just need to splice all the wires and extend them. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways, appreciate any help and thanks again for the great write-up! I think I am like 90% on my way, minus looking into installing the ROM onto the tablet.
thanks for the kind words, and am glad it helped you out! sound like you did your research and will find your way to a good install!

no need to post a wiring diagram, i understood exactly what you wrote and can see what you're doing.

cig outlet neg: i would probably run the negative to a ground location directly, i usually don't like tapping into ground wires and would prefer to go directly to the ground spot.
cig outlet pos: theoretically this should work, but i would be worried about overloading the fuse that the HU wiring harness goes through. if the tablet and the HU pull too much load together you could blow that fuse. my recommendation is to get power from any switched power source independent of the HU wiring harness. I would try to keep those two sources independent so you don't overload the circuit (but that's just in theory, numerically you might be ok, i just don't know the circuit for that one). an in-line fuse will never hurt you! i pulled my power from the fuse box with an add a fuse so mine already is protected by a fuse.

DAC: i'm hoping your DAC and head unit will work together but i'm not sure exactly since the DAC is converting and amplifying your signal which the head unit will also do i believe. not completely sure on that but simple trial and error will let you know right away. i would try it all together sitting in your passenger seat before you install everything (or do a workbench test with them). i would probably skip the DAC and just run a usb from the hub to the head unit and see if that works.

the iphone can be used as a hotspot and that's what i do right now. verizon allows hotspots for all users but if you have a different carrier you gotta see what your plan allows. even if you are verizon you have to call them to activate it but it's free. i would prefer to use wifi as my hotspot but iphone is not good at automatically connecting via wifi. i found i usually had to turn my hotspot off and on, and then toggle my tablet wifi off and on to get them to connect together. so what i did instead is use bluetooth hotspot and that connects every single time now automatically. it doesn't transfer as fast as wifi but usually is good enough. android is better in that sense because you can change settings with tasker to have wifi hotspot automatically connect, but the gods at apple don't want us to play with any settings.

you're most tedious part will be the hvac location but like you said there's some good DIY threads out there and it's just simple wire extensions and lots of soldering, nothing complicated. keep us updated!

Originally Posted by Csakstar
If you are able to figure out a way to integrate it into the head-unit please let me know.
i believe you said you have an oem headunit while the other member has an aftermarket so it will be a lot different.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
[QUOTE=sockr1;15966965]haha, maybe i secretly do, thanks brian! i agree there's no reason car manufacturers shouldn't be going this route years ago! i still need to try to fix the ground loop you and chris troubleshot for me, i might open it up today and try to hook up a ground wire between my oem headunit ground and my aftermarket amp ground. i found some extra 4ga wire i had too so that should help. did you finish your sound deadening?
Well sort of... I did the hatch on the wagon. I've decided to do the entire cargo area as well just have to make the time soon.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
thanks for the kind words, and am glad it helped you out! sound like you did your research and will find your way to a good install!

no need to post a wiring diagram, i understood exactly what you wrote and can see what you're doing.

cig outlet neg: i would probably run the negative to a ground location directly, i usually don't like tapping into ground wires and would prefer to go directly to the ground spot.
cig outlet pos: theoretically this should work, but i would be worried about overloading the fuse that the HU wiring harness goes through. if the tablet and the HU pull too much load together you could blow that fuse. my recommendation is to get power from any switched power source independent of the HU wiring harness. I would try to keep those two sources independent so you don't overload the circuit (but that's just in theory, numerically you might be ok, i just don't know the circuit for that one). an in-line fuse will never hurt you! i pulled my power from the fuse box with an add a fuse so mine already is protected by a fuse.

DAC: i'm hoping your DAC and head unit will work together but i'm not sure exactly since the DAC is converting and amplifying your signal which the head unit will also do i believe. not completely sure on that but simple trial and error will let you know right away. i would try it all together sitting in your passenger seat before you install everything (or do a workbench test with them). i would probably skip the DAC and just run a usb from the hub to the head unit and see if that works.

the iphone can be used as a hotspot and that's what i do right now. verizon allows hotspots for all users but if you have a different carrier you gotta see what your plan allows. even if you are verizon you have to call them to activate it but it's free. i would prefer to use wifi as my hotspot but iphone is not good at automatically connecting via wifi. i found i usually had to turn my hotspot off and on, and then toggle my tablet wifi off and on to get them to connect together. so what i did instead is use bluetooth hotspot and that connects every single time now automatically. it doesn't transfer as fast as wifi but usually is good enough. android is better in that sense because you can change settings with tasker to have wifi hotspot automatically connect, but the gods at apple don't want us to play with any settings.

you're most tedious part will be the hvac location but like you said there's some good DIY threads out there and it's just simple wire extensions and lots of soldering, nothing complicated. keep us updated!
Thinking about it some more, I do believe it makes sense to run a fuse tap for positive power and to ground to the common point near the fuse box. I'd rather not risk blowing a fuse to the radio or in the box. Probably best to keep the two separate, as you said. I have a fuse tap already, so it only makes sense to do.

Thinking about the DAC some more... It would probably be pointless to include one. All my processing and amping is taken car of by my MiniDSP and my amps. Adding a DAC between the tablet and radio is probably unnecessary. If the tablet can connect and recognize from the USB hub, then I am in business. It should then, in theory, just work as any other device interfacing with the headunit. The only issue I may run into is the HU not recognizing the tablet via USB. In that case, I may need to run the DAC into the HU via Aux.

I do have Verizon, so I should be good to use my Mobile hotspot! I don't plan to connect to the tablet every time I drive the car, mainly on any trip where I need navigation or any trip that is longer. If it is an issue, I will look into the BT hotspot.

The HVAC relocation looks a little daunting. I imagine that it really is just a matter of looking at the wires running into the HVAC screen and just cutting them and extending them to the new location in the top of the dash. When I got the car, I didn't want to start hacking up the factory wires, but it looks like it's inevitable now. If I do this, I can probably say good-bye to ever selling the thing. I may wait until I replace the axles and see if the car can hold up for awhile. If it's still driving like garbage, I'm going to sell the thing.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

project update in general: i've recently ditched the idea of usb audio due to some issues i couldn't solve. to solve the issue i'd have to uninstall the entire tablet and reinstall everything from scratch and with a baby coming any day now i can't find the time for it. luckily a family member added me to their premium spotify account, so now i download spotify songs straight onto my tablet and just run spotify for audio...quality is great and everything is working perfectly!!

NOTE: i haven't found anyone that has my audio issue so don't let that scare you from this install. tablets are buggy and no one is able to replicate my freezing/booting issue when playing usb audio with a DAC. a fresh install would probably fix the issue but like i mentioned i found another solution. DON'T LET THIS TURN YOU AWAY FROM THIS MOD! just do lots and lots of testing before finishing the install, i thought i did enough but guess not haha

I do have Verizon, so I should be good to use my Mobile hotspot! I don't plan to connect to the tablet every time I drive the car, mainly on any trip where I need navigation or any trip that is longer. If it is an issue, I will look into the BT hotspot.

The HVAC relocation looks a little daunting. I imagine that it really is just a matter of looking at the wires running into the HVAC screen and just cutting them and extending them to the new location in the top of the dash. When I got the car, I didn't want to start hacking up the factory wires, but it looks like it's inevitable now. If I do this, I can probably say good-bye to ever selling the thing. I may wait until I replace the axles and see if the car can hold up for awhile. If it's still driving like garbage, I'm going to sell the thing.
if i were you i'd run bluetooth as the hotspot and then just switch over to wifi when you need faster data. that way the internet is always at your fingertips and works well enough, but when you need that extra push of data you can manually switch to the wifi hotspot...best of both worlds! that's what i do currently.

i think the opposite...if you do this mod, it's going to make your car that much more in demand when you go to sell it. you can be like "yea, it's a 12 year old car but you have technology newer than most new cars being released." but it is daunting to get into the oem wiring, but once you get into it it's not a huge deal haha.

good call on waiting to see if you're going to keep the car or not. hopefully your car feels better soon and you can keep enjoying it!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
OH NO!! So now you're plugging the aux straight to the tablet headphone jack?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
OH NO!! So now you're plugging the aux straight to the tablet headphone jack?
no everything is routed as is from my first post, it's just that i don't play audio from my usb drive off my usb hub.

i CAN play audio from usb using the DAC and hub just fine but my tablet will randomly freeze and reboot. it's completely random. if i run music off my tablet through the DAC and no usb stick/hub, no freezing/rebooting. but i've tried about 5 usb sticks and 6 usb hubs and they all freeze at some point. no big deal now that i have spotify available for download and i can still use the DAC, it all works great and sounds even better than the usb audio!

i still do not use the tablet headphone jack at all.
i haven't found anyone that has the same problem

Last edited by sockr1; 03-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like a an issue with the data going from USB stick to USB hub to USB OTG cable BACK through OTG cable to USB hub To USB DAC that's causing that conundrum..

Culprit potentially being the OTG cable or the hub. The synchronous bi-lateral transfer of data may be causing the table to freeze.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Sounds like a an issue with the data going from USB stick to USB hub to USB OTG cable BACK through OTG cable to USB hub To USB DAC that's causing that conundrum..

Culprit potentially being the OTG cable or the hub. The synchronous bi-lateral transfer of data may be causing the table to freeze.
that's what i was thinking as well...it's almost like a data "shock" to the tablet when it happens and then it freezes. the only downside is that i've tried multiple 2.0 and 3.0 hubs, both powered and non-powered, but all still had the same issue. it seems like a hardware issue which is why i was hesitant to do a fresh install of the software.

any thoughts on how i could troubleshoot it some more?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

You made the OTG cable right? I'd try another one /better quality one to troubleshoot the next hardware in the data process flow diagram
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

You made the OTG cable right? I'd try another one /better quality one to troubleshoot the next hardware in the data process flow diagram
i used one of the two OTG cables recommended by timur and bought it off the shelf. i doubt it's the OTG cable because there's not many that work and this one is probably the most popular one used on timur's kernel installs.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Not necessarily another brand, but it could just be a bad one you received!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Not necessarily another brand, but it could just be a bad one you received!
ah i see what you're saying. a good idea but that will be my last last resort because that means i have to uninstall all the way to ground zero and remove the tablet completely to get to the otg cable lol (molding clay and everything!) i'll just leave it on spotify until i get kicked out of the family plan for spotify lol
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah that's a bummer, but just from a systematic troubleshooting perspective, that is a likely cause.

Frankly, if there was a easier workaround like you found, I'd skip it too
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Yeah that's a bummer, but just from a systematic troubleshooting perspective, that is a likely cause.

Frankly, if there was a easier workaround like you found, I'd skip it too
you should install the tablet in your closet with the same OTG branded cable and see if you have the same issue
hehe
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

i said i'll get to it!!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
that's what i was thinking as well...it's almost like a data "shock" to the tablet when it happens and then it freezes. the only downside is that i've tried multiple 2.0 and 3.0 hubs, both powered and non-powered, but all still had the same issue. it seems like a hardware issue which is why i was hesitant to do a fresh install of the software.

any thoughts on how i could troubleshoot it some more?
It may be just a loose connection.

One issue I had to resolve was a loose connection with my FiiO DAC, which I keep in my armrest. The micro-USB cable was seemingly plugged into the device snugly, but when it moved (such as when I opened my armrest to get something or took a sharp turn) the device would momentarily disconnect and reconnect. I used tape to hold everything still, and the problem has been remedied.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

At first, thanks a lot, for sharing your great work with us! It is really appreciated!

However, I just wanted to ask you, how can I implement the addtional softkeys in the navbar, as you have showed in your videos and pictures?
(Sorry, if I have overlooked it...!)

Many thanks,
Alexander
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sonar
Hi,

At first, thanks a lot, for sharing your great work with us! It is really appreciated!

However, I just wanted to ask you, how can I implement the addtional softkeys in the navbar, as you have showed in your videos and pictures?
(Sorry, if I have overlooked it...!)

Many thanks,
Alexander
you're welcome, glad it's helpful.

other people asked about the instructions to get the additional softkeys so i guess i should lay that out better.

go to my google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1gwSlF5c1l0dWc
download the navbar zip file to the tablet or a usb drive connected to the tablet
go into twrp through "recovery"
load the zip file using twrp
reboot into android

done!
Sonar (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

switched to spotify for main music source

wanted to give an update...i recently switched to using spotify premium for my music needs. a family member added me to the account so i have full premium access. this allows me to download songs to the tablet storage and run spotify offline. the music is really good quality, all the album art is loaded, and i can literally listen to way more music than anything i had downloaded on a usb. also gives me the option to listen to songs online if i want. there is a max of 3333 downloaded songs on a device but i'm limited by my 16gb tablet storage.

in hindsight i wish again i would have got the LTE version that has a 32gb storage but can't do anything about that now. if you're going to do this install, get the LTE tablet with more storage!

the next issue i ran into was setting up my autoplay with spotify when i started my car. whenever i did autoplay for spotify, at the point where "play" was simulated the album/song "now playing" view would disappear and it would take me into "my library" which just shows lists of songs. not very good because then i would have to push "album display" to see the album/song now playing.

so i added some tasker actions to my music autostart profile:

- in tablet "settings", i turned "pointer location" on
- found the xy coordinates of the button to push to show the album/song now playing display
- turned off "pointer location"
- opened tasker and opened my music autoplay settings
- added "wait" for 1 second (this is needed otherwise tasker doesn't give spotify enough time to show the "my library" screen)
- added "run shell" and typed in "tap input 60 945" and enabled "root"
- closed tasker, gave tasker SU access, then turned off SU global notifications for tasker

everything works perfect!! car turns on, 10 sec later spotify launches, the song starts, spotify automatically switches to my library, then 1 second later it switches to the now playing view.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Smile

Hey guys this write-up and all the tips look great! I am amazed at how much detail was put into this write-up for the install and its making me want to do it to my 07 TL-S. Thank you for taking the time to do all of this and post it up here for everyone to use in their own install. I read this thread a few times and i still have a few questions so bear with me.

1. Will the main volume of the audio still be controlled by the stock volume knob on the factory HU?
2. If i plan on using just Spotify and/or iTunes for my main music source that will run off the tablet, i do not need a USB stick correct?
3. When i receive a phone call on my phone, how does that get routed to the tablet? i would just have to flip the switch that routes the volume from the phone to go over the car speakers?
4. If i have sound playing out of my phone (wether I'm watching a video, a song from a different app, etc) how can i make that sound go through the car speakers? Using the switch mentioned before?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by klutch908
Hey guys this write-up and all the tips look great! I am amazed at how much detail was put into this write-up for the install and its making me want to do it to my 07 TL-S. Thank you for taking the time to do all of this and post it up here for everyone to use in their own install. I read this thread a few times and i still have a few questions so bear with me.

1. Will the main volume of the audio still be controlled by the stock volume knob on the factory HU?
2. If i plan on using just Spotify and/or iTunes for my main music source that will run off the tablet, i do not need a USB stick correct?
3. When i receive a phone call on my phone, how does that get routed to the tablet? i would just have to flip the switch that routes the volume from the phone to go over the car speakers?
4. If i have sound playing out of my phone (wether I'm watching a video, a song from a different app, etc) how can i make that sound go through the car speakers? Using the switch mentioned before?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes. I have my Nexus 7 tablet volume on max and control everything with the volume knob on the steering wheel or radio.
2. Correct.
3. Phones calls are totally separate from the tablet. The only thing they have in common is that they share the same speakers (eg. the speakers on your car). The switch allows you to switch between using the Nexus 7 as your source and the bluetooth module as your source.
4. Yes, I believe if you get a bluetooth module that can take care of audio streaming and phone calls, you keep the switch on the "bluetooth module" as the source. During this time you won't have sound from the tablet unless you switch it back.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
There's a few different ways to have this set up (which depends on what year & model TL you have). So I figured I'd also answer your questions, but based on my setup (2008 TL Base w/Navigation).

1. My tablet is connected to the Factory Head Unit through the factory AUX port. So think of the tablet similar to an iPod, your volume knob and your steering wheel controls are going to function the same because they're controlling the Head Unit, not the tablet itself.

2. Spotify can run without a USB stick, but for apps like iTunes it will depend on where your music library is stored. If you're​ music is stored online in "cloud storage" or on the tablet's internal storage, then you don't need the USB stick. The two main problems in doing this would be data usage on your phone plan and/or limited internal storage space on the tablet, which is why people add the USB stick.

3. Phone calls should be connected to your car's HandsFreeLink Bluetooth system, which is separate from the tablet and will still work normally. So if you got a call, the factory head unit will mute the AUX audio output, and will instead play the HandsFreeLink audio via your phone's​ Bluetooth connection.

4. If you're wanting to mirror your phone's media playback through the tablet, then to the car speakers, I don't think you can. I haven't found a way to "cast" one Android phone's media to display onto an Android tablet. But if you wanted to play audio from your phone through the car speakers without going through the tablet at all, you'll just need to connect it like guitarplayer16 said, or to the factory head unit with an AUX port cable (if you have an AUX port).
Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Pretty nice setup, I think I will want to do this in the future.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Safety Car

Thanks in advance!
the guys above answered your questions very well so need need for me to repeat myself.

glad the write up was helpful and you should definitely give it a shot! i've helped probably 40-50 guys with questions regarding this setup and people are very happy with it. if you have any more questions just let me or the other guys know, we are all out here helping each other.

Originally Posted by wilspainar
Pretty nice setup, I think I will want to do this in the future.
thank you, go for it!
klutch908 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the quick response gents! So with that out of the way, now I'm gonna focus a bit on how to root the tablet and get it all ready. Still researching some of the steps to install timers kernel and all that fun stuff.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the quick response gents! So with that out of the way, now I'm gonna focus a bit on how to root the tablet and get it all ready. Still researching some of the steps to install timers kernel and all that fun stuff.
no need to root the tablet. timur's kernel does that for you as you install it. take a tablet back to stock and there's directions from there on out
klutch908 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Ok so I'm putting together the list of all the components that i need. Do you think this easy cap will work? It has the UTV007 chip.

Easycap USB 2.0 Audio Video Converter Adapter UTV-007 Chip Nexus Backup (2) | eBay
Old 06-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Thanks for you help so far guys!

I do have a few more questions...

I am reading timurs instructions over and over again to understand what i need to do to the tablet.
In his instructions he says you need :What is the USBHost kernel (flo601) + service installer and how do i get it?
I downloaded the other 3 files. Im just lost on the last one.
On timurs website, it appears that all of these files are free to download and you don't have to purchase anything. Is that the case? I would pay if i need to get any of them.

And sockr1, in your instructions on how to install timurs kernel you said:
Unlock bootloader
- in command window type "adb reboot bootloader"
- Fastboot oem unlock (should say unlock on bootloader)

After i typed adb reboot bootloader, the screen on my tablet changes to the boot loader screen.
What do you mean in the next step after that? Fastboot oem unlock (should say unlock on bootloader)?

Sorry, i am working on a mac and i am new to android devices altogether.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Race Director

sockr1's instructions were pretty clear if you follow it step by step, but if you want to understand why you're doing things, it might be a little vague.

The USBHost kernel (flo601) + service installer is the Timur Kernel you download from Timur.

So basically, whats required of you to download is:

1. Timur's Kernel - Download from https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-v4/...-final-flo.zip - This is if you bought the WIFI and not 3G Nexus 7 model.
Inside the download folder, you will see TWO files. One that is USBHost and one that is Service installer.
2. The stock Android Firmware (aka factory image). Download from the link he gave you.
3. Super SU - Download from his link. This is the program that allows "root" access or allows programs to go beyond what stock android allows.
4. TWRP - Download from his link. This is the "Recovery" program to replace the stock recovery program. It allows you to install Timur's Kernel and SuperSU.

When you typed in "adb reboot bootloader" and your tablet screen changes to the bootloader, I'm glad you got this far and you're well on your way.
While your screen is in the boot loader screen, you type in command prompt from your computer "fastboot oem unlock".
After you type this, your bootloader will say it is unlocked.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-17-2017 at 07:39 PM.
klutch908 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Ok got it. Almost there i think.
I am able to boot in the TWRP recovery program. So now i need to transfer those 3 files from my mac to the tablet. But my tablet does not appear as a removable device on my computer. I tried rebooting my computer and the mac a few times but still doesn't show up as a device. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Finally got it. Had to use google drive to get the files over. So the software part is done. Now gonna finish putting together a shopping list for the rest of the parts.
Thanks for your help so far!!! Stoked to get this up in the car!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Race Director

I ran into that problem too. I think in the bootloader menu I clicked on "Restart Bootloader" or restarted the bootloader from TWRP and it worked.
Glad it worked with an alternate method.

Order the EasyCAP from sockr1's link ASAP - it costs less than a lunch but it takes soooo long to arrive from overseas.

The other parts (including the GPS booster to my surprise) comes in pretty fast.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-17-2017 at 11:54 PM.
klutch908 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Ordered all the parts and the easycap. In the mean time, i want to install the navbar files and the background template images sockr1 put up. A few questions here:
1. How do i install the nav bar files so i have the media and volume buttons on the bottom of the screen? I read a bunch of places online you need to recompile the framework-res.apk file. Those articles were also written 4 years ago so i wasn't sure if anything changed in the mean time.
2. How do you install the .png files with the blue or red acura theme with all the buttons? Do i have to use Nova Launcher to install?

Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Race Director

Ordered all the parts and the easycap. In the mean time, i want to install the navbar files and the background template images sockr1 put up. A few questions here:
1. How do i install the nav bar files so i have the media and volume buttons on the bottom of the screen? I read a bunch of places online you need to recompile the framework-res.apk file. Those articles were also written 4 years ago so i wasn't sure if anything changed in the mean time.
2. How do you install the .png files with the blue or red acura theme with all the buttons? Do i have to use Nova Launcher to install?

Thanks!!
1. What I did was download the navbar zip file onto my computer, then emailed it to myself and downloaded it on my tablet. I guess you can download it directly from your tablet and find it in the "Downloads" folder.
Then you need to get to CWRP to install it. You can get to CWRP by Power Event Manager and clicking "Reboot" button and then "Reboot to Recovery".
Once in CWRP you would need to click "Install", then navigate to your downloads folder and click on the navbar zip file and then swipe to flash it. Then click reboot and you're all done.

2. I think you HAVE to use a 3rd party launcher, otherwise you'll have the really tiny "dock" always show on the right side. The stock android launcher is great. I loved it when I used my Nexus 7 as a tablet and not a car-related purpose, but the stock android launcher isn't friendly when you're using it for a car. The icons are too tiny, you'll probably open a few wrong apps before clicking the right one.

To specifically have the same setup as sockr1 and a few others, you will need to use a 3rd party launcher, such as Nova Launcher.
To make it easier to understand their setup, think of it like this:

It's a png or jpg wallpaper with all the buttons and icons on it already. If you've never used photoshop you can take sockr1's, I think he provided his wallpaper jpg.
Then to make the wallpaper clickable, AmazingTEXT free is used and you can set areas that you click on to go to an app.
Without AmazingTEXT free, all you'll see are the buttons, but none of them would be clickable.

So cliffs to get his setup:
1. Install and set Nova Launcher as your launcher. In the settings, turn off the dock.
2. Download a wallpaper from his page: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1gwSlF5c1l0dWc
3. Set the wallpaper you just downloaded as your wallpaper. At this point you'll have a setup that looks like his but nothing is clickable, because it is just simply a wallpaper image.
4. Download AmazingTEXT Free.
5. Create widgets over the buttons on the wallpaper using AmazingTEXT Free.
6. Add a clock and date widget to the left side and done.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-18-2017 at 01:32 PM.
klutch908 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced

OK great that did the trick for the navbar buttons. It looks sweet!
And i forgot about the amaze text app, now it makes sense. Thanks again for all the help so far and all the detailed instructions.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

thank you thanh for not making me repeat myself haha
guitarplayer16 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this install with guitarplayer16 and been having this issue with my DAC I believe. When I play music from my Nexus (downloaded songs) via my Music app. The music stops every few seconds. (when the stop occurs my FIIO e07K briefly displays "LOCK".

Any idea how to stop this from happening? Does the DAC have to be on HOLD or something?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by DejaVu85
I did this install with guitarplayer16 and been having this issue with my DAC I believe. When I play music from my Nexus (downloaded songs) via my Music app. The music stops every few seconds. (when the stop occurs my FIIO e07K briefly displays "LOCK".

Any idea how to stop this from happening? Does the DAC have to be on HOLD or something?
Try to use GoneMad Music Player, and see if it does the same thing. Its the best player for Timur and DAC.

I did some reading and the Fiio should display "lock" when changing streams, like switching tracks which would be weird since it happens in the middle of a track.
I don't think it's your DAC, that thing played music wonderfully when we tested it out on Youtube. Definitely try the gonemad music player.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-19-2017 at 09:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by guitarplayer16:
DejaVu85 (06-20-2017), sockr1 (06-20-2017)

Quick Reply: 2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera