2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install

First off, anyone that has a thread posted before me deserves credit. Here are a few.
aameghoo
triax37
00g

NEEDED LIST:
  • Nexus 7 - $80
  • iSimple Dual Aux - $70
  • OTG Cable - $5
  • 2 USB 3' Extensions (a couple inches too short) - $4
APPS:
  • PlayerPro
  • Tasker
  • Torque
  • Google Maps - Go ahead and download all the maps you need for offline use
  • Waze - I use this one when I'm actually travelling. Google Maps is for quick directions and finding things.
OPTIONAL LIST:
  • Amazing Putty - $20 / $10 (got it from Michael's with 50% off)
  • iSaddle (Bluetooth OBDII) - $14
2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0055.jpg2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0059.jpg2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0073.jpg

Prep Nexus 7
  1. Root and flash this ROM - [ROM][4.4.4][F2FS/EXT4] AutoDroid 1.2 | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums.
    This gives you OTG Host capabilities, power management specifically for the car, and will end up with root access.
  2. Set up the Nexus however you want, with all of your media and apps.
  3. Relocate the charging and headphone ports, which are on a cable, to the outside. Watch this video on how to take the Nexus apart -
  4. Use electrical tape to secure the ports on the back of the Nexus. Test to make sure everything still works.
2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0072.jpg

Install Nexus 7
  • Watch this Youtube video on how to take your car apart -
  • Connect the iSimple to the radio.
  • Connect the Nexus to the iSimple and car charger. Test to make sure the Nexus reacts the way it should (turns on/off with car), and sound comes from the iSimple connection.
  • Once that works correctly, make the mold from the Amazing Mold Putty to secure the Nexus to the navigation bezel.
  • The navigation screen and motherboard will go in backwards behind the Nexus. If you have the OEM iPod connection taking up space, remove it, it's useless.
  • Run your USB Extensions from the bottom of the center console to above the radio. If you got 3' extensions, they will be a couple inches shorter than you would like. If you are good with wires, you can cut and extend the cables a few more inches.
  • Bolt the radio and the Nexus into the car.
  • For the love of God: Measure Twice, Cut Once. Do not put your car together just because it worked once. That includes the USB extensions that are connected and ran to the center console.
    If you don't and the thing doesn't work, this is how you will feel when you have to take it apart
2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0074.jpg2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0075.jpg2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0069.jpg2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0076.jpg

Once you are satisfied with fully test with the Nexus and radio installed, finish putting your car back together.
Enjoy your new, not useless, tablet/navigation system.
2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install-imag0079.jpg
The following 4 users liked this post by Rhydon:
Anthracite'04 (12-23-2014), EvilVirus (11-10-2014), sockr1 (11-25-2016), triax37 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Awesome job OP

Post video of it in action
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced

I'm trying to work out a couple kinks at the moment. There are a couple apps that are keeping my tablet awake when it should be in deep sleep. Causes a 17% decrease in battery overnight. I don't drive my car long enough to fully charge it, so I'm trying to use a power bank while for a little juice.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
OP - great work! Thanks for including the tips as well - very helpful. As for your problems, restarting has often worked wonders for me. Or reverting back to the original USB ROM type kernel installation. Good luck!!!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Re-installing the apps worked. Also forgot to put this in, but I made my own OTG cable so that I was only running one cable from the Nexus to the center console. From there it split into two.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
impressive

i need to do this sometime
Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Which Nexus 7 tablet did you end up using? Is a 1st gen okay for this project? Pros/Cons to using a newer one?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by genokan
Which Nexus 7 tablet did you end up using? Is a 1st gen okay for this project? Pros/Cons to using a newer one?
I used the 1st Gen (2012) Nexus 7. It's working just great for now.

Pros:
  • It's a little cheaper
  • Can relocate the micro and headphone ports easily
  • Don't have to cut navigation bezel
Cons:
  • 2nd Gen might be faster
  • Haven't used 2nd Gen, so that's all I got for cons
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 03:14 PM
disability space parker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the video you posted on taking the center apart was worth the price of admission alone. Thanks!
Rhydon (01-27-2015)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced

UPDATE:

Battery life
Had knee surgery. Therefore, I didn't drive my car for 2 weeks. When I finally got back in my car the battery was at 43%. So I was losing roughly 4% every 24 hours.
triax37 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rhydon
UPDATE:

Battery life
Had knee surgery. Therefore, I didn't drive my car for 2 weeks. When I finally got back in my car the battery was at 43%. So I was losing roughly 4% every 24 hours.
Hope the knee is healing smoothly! I was losing 1-2%/day during the summer, but I'm close to the 4%/day recently - probably because it's 30-45 degrees most days in Colorado. I was a little concerned at first, but it's nice to know you're seeing similar things.
Rhydon (12-26-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I basically followed this thread step by step and installed my nexus on Sunday in about 5 hours

Thanks!
The following 3 users liked this post by TLrascal:
jayrob1 (04-06-2015), Rhydon (12-26-2014), triax37 (12-23-2014)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Will post backup camera with Easycap and Esky camera soon. In process of moving and don't have the time right now.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
What functions from the oem setup did you lose?
Great job on the install!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
What functions from the oem setup did you lose?
Great job on the install!
I lost the navigation screen and XM radio. There is a way to do this without losing XM radio, but I don't use it anyways. Everything else works like it should.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

I lost the navigation screen and XM radio. There is a way to do this without losing XM radio, but I don't use it anyways. Everything else works like it should.
losing navi is fine since mine doesn't work and is the main reason why i want to switch and not pay 360 bucks for outdated software, data, and graphics.

was there a link or another thread on how to keep xm? i use xm about 50% of the time and would be a key item that i wouldn't want to lose

i haven't seen any threads on it about keeping it, unless i skipped over it somehow in one of the other major threads
Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Will post backup camera with Easycap and Esky camera soon. In process of moving and don't have the time right now.
Did you ever get this to work if so do you have to manually launch the application to view the camera or it comes on automatically when you go in reverse. I got the wrong easycap the first time arround waiting on my second one with the correct chip set.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Racer

losing navi is fine since mine doesn't work and is the main reason why i want to switch and not pay 360 bucks for outdated software, data, and graphics.

was there a link or another thread on how to keep xm? i use xm about 50% of the time and would be a key item that i wouldn't want to lose

i haven't seen any threads on it about keeping it, unless i skipped over it somehow in one of the other major threads
I have a 05 navi and i converted to tablet and i can still use my XM if i want to i just dont subscribe to it. I am using isimple to get the audio from tablet to the factory system via XM but i can switch it to satellite to get XM. I however only get their preview channel. Hope this helps.
sockr1 (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Advanced

I've linked triax37's install. On the bottom of the 2nd page he explains this. I didn't set mine up to use XM, but he did and would be able to answer more thoroughly.

Ideally, iSimple has a couple inputs, and as long as XM is connected to one of those it should work.

Originally Posted by zsameer
Did you ever get this to work if so do you have to manually launch the application to view the camera or it comes on automatically when you go in reverse. I got the wrong easycap the first time arround waiting on my second one with the correct chip set.
I've been out of commission due to knee surgeries, but I kinda got it working after buying the EasyCap app.

EasyCap utv007 + Easycap app. If the Easycap stays plugged in, when the car is turned on the app will open. But that's it, it doesn't open when signal is detected. There is a carcam app out there somewhere that may work with the stk chip, but it was choppy and lagged for my utv007. That one started up when signal was detected though. In the long run, the app may be the way to go since it can be updated and fixed.

I have the wire coming through the middle of the backseat for now. Debating on whether to upgrade the speakers and figured I should do it all at once. Either way, I need to find time and heal before I can tear my car apart just to route the video wire.
zsameer (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Racer

Hope you feel better man. Thanks for the info. I am waiting for my STK chipset easycap. I am using Kangaroo rom and kernel with my tablet. Its supposed to have support for the stk chipset and i was able to download the carcam app. lets hope this works. I have spent money on two wireless units already.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

definitely interested to see who the camera turns out. the camera hook up is the only thing preventing me from doing this install, everything else is pretty doable since i've ripped apart my car so many times in the past. i spent about 4 hours re-reading all the threads i had read and saved before

my application is a little different since i want to use the oem camera, but worst comes to worst, i can always replace my oem camera if it's much easier with a new one. plus it would be nice to have the depth readings on the camera as well

what camera models are you guys using? or going to use?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Racer

I am using Esky® EC170-08 170° Waterproof Color HD CCD Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera that I picked from ebay. Works great with my WIFI transmitter once the wifi connection is established. I am not having any luck with easycap. Got the second one yesterday and still no image so I am thinking maybe its my ROM or the kernel. Will have to check that once I get some time. Too bad no one is developing roms for the 2012 nexus 7.
sockr1 (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Racer

I've linked triax37's install. On the bottom of the 2nd page he explains this. I didn't set mine up to use XM, but he did and would be able to answer more thoroughly.

Ideally, iSimple has a couple inputs, and as long as XM is connected to one of those it should work.
Thanks Rhydon - I hope that knee is healing smoothly! Had a dislocation and cartilage issues myself over the years...

You're correct on the inputs. After hitting the XM button, I turn the right-hand silver knob and it cycles between different inputs (XM1, XM2, and AUX1, I think...), just like a TV does between HDMI, etc. If I switch to AM/FM/CD, the stereo remembers to stay on whatever was last playing through the XM button. The only exception is if you reset the stereo or unplug the battery, when it goes back to default XM1. For reference, I use the ISIM73.

what camera models are you guys using? or going to use?
I use the Esky EC170-06, which includes the depth lines you mentioned. Camera has worked very well over the last year (installed 5/2014), including Colorado's winter (not too bad this year).

I am using Esky® EC170-08 170° Waterproof Color HD CCD Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera that I picked from ebay. Works great with my WIFI transmitter once the wifi connection is established. I am not having any luck with easycap. Got the second one yesterday and still no image so I am thinking maybe its my ROM or the kernel. Will have to check that once I get some time. Too bad no one is developing roms for the 2012 nexus 7.
Agreed on the ROM. I hear the latest ROMs have added many features, so it's probably worth researching if you're doing a new install. My Nexus 7 is stable, so I'm not messing with it. If something significant happens, I will definitely consider updating mine...
The following 2 users liked this post by triax37:
sockr1 (04-15-2015), zsameer (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Racer

Finally got the easycap working. CarCam did not work very well... actually its was quite bad. tried all the settings but could not get a stable picture. Tried the easycap viewer app and that worked. Wish it had auto signal detect like the carcam but I am quite happy to have a working backup camera that doesn't take a long time to connect. Thanks for all the help Rhydon!!! still has a small flicker do you have that issue? I am wondering if its the cheap video cable that came with the camera.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Advanced

My Backup Camera"><b><span style=My Backup Camera" /> My Backup Camera">My Backup Camera

My camera flickers during the initial startup for a few seconds, but then the video is smooth.

I'm using AutoDroid, and it's not really that stable for me. I get a system.ui stopped working a lot. It also has a slow response from time to time.
I wish I got my hands on the USB Rom before it was no longer supported for 2012 version. Didn't want to take the Nexus out to re-flash either .

Is there a better ROM out there that I'm not aware of, or should I just re-flash AutoDroid?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Racer

My Backup Camera

My camera flickers during the initial startup for a few seconds, but then the video is smooth.

I'm using AutoDroid, and it's not really that stable for me. I get a system.ui stopped working a lot. It also has a slow response from time to time.
I wish I got my hands on the USB Rom before it was no longer supported for 2012 version. Didn't want to take the Nexus out to re-flash either .

Is there a better ROM out there that I'm not aware of, or should I just re-flash AutoDroid?

Thats the first one i tried too and it was slow and my apps were not working right. I now use Kangaroo rom and Kangaroo kernel ... pretty sooth and no issues. Has EasyCap support and power management. You can also find the apk for the power management if its not there. I have it so if you need it i can get it to you. You should be able to load the software while the tablet is in to flash the new rom. I also got the autodetect working with the easycap viewer app. I am so happy to finally have a working backup camera system that doesnt take 15-20 seconds to connect and works automatically. I tried a different video cable but still have small flicker now and then but i am ok with that. The camera was the only thing i was missing from my factory nav setup and now i have a way better system than the factory. Very pleased with the setup now. finally got everything working
Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Thats the first one i tried too and it was slow and my apps were not working right. I now use Kangaroo rom and Kangaroo kernel ... pretty sooth and no issues. Has EasyCap support and power management. You can also find the apk for the power management if its not there. I have it so if you need it i can get it to you. You should be able to load the software while the tablet is in to flash the new rom. I also got the autodetect working with the easycap viewer app. I am so happy to finally have a working backup camera system that doesnt take 15-20 seconds to connect and works automatically. I tried a different video cable but still have small flicker now and then but i am ok with that. The camera was the only thing i was missing from my factory nav setup and now i have a way better system than the factory. Very pleased with the setup now. finally got everything working
nice!! any chance you can take a video showing how long it takes to come on and possibly the flicker? do you mean by flicker that the picture goes out for a second then come back on when you switch to it? or while you are backing up?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Racer

Comes on pretty much instantaneously, the flicker is not bad to where you lose the image or anything like that but its more like if you don't have the right frequency on your monitor. I will try to make a video when i get a chance and upload it. Using my MDX today so will probably get a chance to make the video Sunday as i am probably not going to get a chance to do that today or tomorrow.
sockr1 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Racer

Eacycap Viewer app auto signal detection Video.

So here is the video you asked me for. Whenever I turn on the car it does flash once no matter whether I have the auto start enabled or disabled. What makes the difference is signal detection setting. If you have that unchecked it doesn’t start automatically or exit when you get the car out of reverse. You can see the flickering I was talking about. Do you guys also have the same flicker or is everything fine on yours?

JMiles_T (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Safety Car

that came out pretty nice, thanks for putting up a video!
what's the clicking/chattering noise after you shift?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Advanced

EasyCap does the same when I first turn it on. I just took my Nexus out to redo everything.
The OTG isn't working at the moment, so I'm trying to figure that out.
If I remember, I'll make a quick video tomorrow.
zsameer (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Racer

that came out pretty nice, thanks for putting up a video!
what's the clicking/chattering noise after you shift?
Thanks bro. The sound is the side mirror tilting down.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced

I'm having power issues right now. Don't know exactly what it is; cable, USB adapter, or possibly the power supply. Every now and then, it doesn't get enough power to actually charge the Nexus. My OTG cable isn't working as well. I need to do some testing.
Anybody got insight on the power issue, and power distribution when using a hub.

Oh well...

Here is a quick video of my install with the backup camera. I forgot to turn the music down, but you can get a sense of how long mine takes to start playing music. My camera is not instant, but doesn't take but a couple seconds. At the end I tried to trick it by quickly shifting in and out of reverse.

Last edited by Rhydon; 04-20-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Racer

doesn't play the video says its private. I also have charging issues. if its 100% I can use it and it stays that way but if its less than 100% it doesn't seem to charge and stays at the same percentage. I am using the original power cable that came with nexus. Initial install I used a longer cable and it was discharging. I had to replace it with the original cable to get it to work better. I do have the power button hooked up to the navigation button so I turn the screen off if I don't need it and it charges it up quickly. I was loosing maybe 1% if that over night but lately something is draining like 5-10 % overnight. I need to figure this out as well. let me know if you find a solution to this charging issue.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Advanced

It should be able to play now.
Sometimes, restarting the device will stop what is draining it. You can always buy a power bank and charge it while you're not in the car. 1% over night is normal i think. When I had knee surgery and didn't use my car, I was losing 3-4% a day.
zsameer (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Racer

I was loosing maybe 1% if that over night but lately something is draining like 5-10 % overnight. I need to figure this out as well. let me know if you find a solution to this charging issue.
1% over night is normal i think. When I had knee surgery and didn't use my car, I was losing 3-4% a day.
Sorry to hear about the power! I also had some hiccups about 6 months in. Restarting is the first step, of course. Then I tried going back to the original ROM install process, in case an app had created an issue. Finally, I opened up the whole dash and found the cable had become partially unplugged. Repositioned it and created some more support, and it's been fine since.

For what it's worth, I lose about 2-4% per day when not used, depending on the weather (cold weather --> more loss). Good luck!
zsameer (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Advanced

I think I will experiment a little (eventually). Normal USB cables are 28 gauge. With the cable being 3+ft, it could cause some charging problems, especially if they are cheap. I also noticed my Nexus said it was USB Charging.

Experiment: Make an OTG cable with Cat5 cable, 24 gauge. That would allow a little more amps to flow over a longer distance. Nexus will only take what it needs anyways.

Sidebar with possible correlation.
Electrical problems I'm having now:
1) HFL stopped working about a week ago. Today, the lights on the buttons went out and they don't work
2) P0138 O2 sensor low voltage.
3) Tablet not charging.

I forgot to check voltage when the car was off, but it read 13.8 while on. I wonder if this could be the cause of my problems. I need to do my testing.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Racer

Good luck man. I was thinking about the OTG cable as well this morning. My tablet is taking longer to charge. I am thinking i need to redo my rom and kernel install from scratch. Trying to get the easycap to work i did a dirty install of the Autodroid rom and then back to Kangaroo rom so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Let me know what you find out about yours or how it goes with making your own OTG cable.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Did you guys check if you have wakelocks keeping the tablet awake before ripping everything apart? That would be my first diagnosing step, using something such as Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector. It would be a shame to pull everything apart to find out it's an app going rogue (I'm looking at you, Google Play Services...)
The following 2 users liked this post by polobunny:
triax37 (04-21-2015), zsameer (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by polobunny
Did you guys check if you have wakelocks keeping the tablet awake before ripping everything apart? That would be my first diagnosing step, using something such as Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector. It would be a shame to pull everything apart to find out it's an app going rogue (I'm looking at you, Google Play Services...)
My issue was really with the charging, but still discharging.
Battery Monitoring Widget is doing me a good favor. It was showing that the Nexus was drawing 0mA, which explains why it wasn't charging. This morning I adjusted my USB adapter and the Nexus started drawing 1400mA. BIG difference, and now it's charging.

Eventually, I want to change the socket in the center console to a direct USB connection, or at least add one in there somewhere.
polobunny (04-21-2015)

Quick Reply: 2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install