2004 tl hid and alarm problem..... What do i do? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 tl hid and alarm problem..... What do i do? Please help

I recently bought a used tl. One headlight was out. Figured it was just the light. So i changed the hid bulb. And it didnt work. Later on i went to a gas station and noticed both my lights were on. Then i tried shutting them off and turning them back on. Now some times one headlight will work. And the other wont. And ifthe headlight switch is played with the working bulb will sometimes change from driver side to passenger or back and forth. (Not on its own. Turning the lights on reveals which one works for that cycle).now my lights usually dont work. I have no clue what to do. Also my alarm doesnt work, but the other things on the key fob do. Could these be related?. Can wiring the hid to the battery directly fix this? I need help please
Old 02-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
The control unit/ ballast is likey bad. Replace it.

Also for alarm, chances are one of your door lock actuators or door/hood/trunk sensors is defective not letting the car think it's closed so it won't arm the alarm
Old 02-19-2017, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not too worried about the alarm being functional. Im more concerned about the lights. Im pretty sure they are hooked up to the alarm to flash when engaged. I didnt know if some thing could have went wrong there. Also which ballast would you say needs to be replaced? At first i thought the ballast too but i was thinking if one headlight was good. Then i started getting problems with both after the other bulb was changed could it be a ballast or ignition wire because it worked fine before that. And if one was no good would it effect them both? Thank you for the help btw