Need some opinions on upgrading wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Need some opinions on upgrading wheels

All,

By way of background I have a 2014 SH Advance in Silver Moon and think it is time to upgrade the wheels (yes I know tire noise will increase most likely due to loss of the resonators but oh well). I am looking at Niche Milan m135 20x8.5 wheels in hyper silver with Continental DSW06 in 245 35 20 for tires. Here's the queries- any issues with the SH system as a result of the 1/2 inch width upgrade or the +1 wheel size? Also - what is the required offset - anything above +35? I also plan on buying Acura TPMS sensors to avoid any error lights as I am going to keep the stock wheels for winter driving.

I am also open to any suggestions on wheels that forum members may have experience with as well in 20 inch. Looking for a classic "slim" 5 star style so the calipers, etc can get some facetime with the world.

Thanks all!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I believe the OEM wheel offset is +55, so take that under account.
A couple of members have replaced the OEM wheels, so I am sure they will chime in soon.
The following users liked this post:
AP8ESQ (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Just to give you an idea, concerning the offset.
You need to make sure that the +35 offset wheels do not extend beyond the fender:

Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks pgeorg- at this point 2 things are certain: 1. You have a diagram for everything and a wealth of info; and 2. This purchase will be an in person local process (as opposed to internet wheel/ tire sites). There is simply too much going on in the SH to try to go without someone to blame if something goes awry (other than myself that is...).

Thanks again!
pgeorg (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

The best thing you can do, and thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
All,

By way of background I have a 2014 SH Advance in Silver Moon and think it is time to upgrade the wheels (yes I know tire noise will increase most likely due to loss of the resonators but oh well). I am looking at Niche Milan m135 20x8.5 wheels in hyper silver with Continental DSW06 in 245 35 20 for tires. Here's the queries- any issues with the SH system as a result of the 1/2 inch width upgrade or the +1 wheel size? Also - what is the required offset - anything above +35? I also plan on buying Acura TPMS sensors to avoid any error lights as I am going to keep the stock wheels for winter driving.

I am also open to any suggestions on wheels that forum members may have experience with as well in 20 inch. Looking for a classic "slim" 5 star style so the calipers, etc can get some facetime with the world.

Thanks all!
Last year I added a new set of wheels on my 2014 P-AWS so I can't comment on fitment of the SH. However, I went with a set of 19" wheels and then swapped out my OEM rubber and TPMS sensors. The ride is harsh enough on the P-AWS so I didn't want to move to a 20" wheel. I then picked up a set of Continental DWS06 with Acura TPMS sensors for my OEM 19's for my winter set.

The Continentals have been nice but I have a few gripes. The sidewall is not as pretty as Michelins - not sure how to describe it. It's more flat looking - not as sporty. They are quieter than the OEM Michelins were and although we haven't had much snow, they have performed well when it has. I feel like the handling is more sloppy with them though as compared to the Michelins. If I was doing it again, I'd probably get another set of Michelins.

Here is my set up - the wheel specs are Rotiform SPF 19x8.5, 5x120 ET35, 245/40R19. I love a concave wheel, and this effect would have been more prevalent with a larger wheel like a 20". The 35mm offset gives a perfect flush more aggressive stance.

Good luck with your options. Wheels are such a personal preference so it's whatever fits and looks good to you! Also be sure to look at the wheel weight - the OEM wheels are heavy so you'll save a few pounds at the wheel most likely with a new set.

Name:  DSC_3881-2_zps7bcbynek.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  239.8 KB

Name:  Rotiform1_zpshqlkks51.png
Views: 421
Size:  1.00 MB

This is how they look rolling:

Name:  DSC_3803_zpswyu7tdwp.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  142.7 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
AP8ESQ (01-23-2017), pgeorg (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Your car always looks GREAT! I don't know how you do that.....my white one never looks as good as yours.....

The Contis are known to have a very soft sidewall, and since the suspension on the 2014 RLX is pretty stiff, you notice it even more :-(
Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Your car always looks GREAT! I don't know how you do that.....my white one never looks as good as yours.....

The Contis are known to have a very soft sidewall, and since the suspension on the 2014 RLX is pretty stiff, you notice it even more :-(
I suspect it has something to do with claying, polishing, sealing and waxing it incessantly. I need help...

I am not displeased with the Contis, I just don't think I'd get them again as the handling is noticeably inferior. I notice it especially at highway speeds going over bumps or dips in the road. I feel like my head is going to hit the ceiling and the rear end of the car feels wobbly before correcting. The car didn't do that with the OEM Michelins.
pgeorg (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow! The car should not be behaving like that, even with soft wall tires.......

Maybe George will chime in......
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^ agree. Did you happen to weigh the tires and rims in the swap? Are they significantly heavier to cause some suspension oscillation? As I have always thought, the RLX suspension must have been tuned for the SH. The lighter tail end of the PAWS model seemed to bob and weave a bit more than I was comfortable with on my PAWS test drives (2014 MY).
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Add to that the AWS that made the rear seem even more unstable for a split second.......

It took me by surprise a few times when I first got my 2015 P-AWS.........
Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
^^^ agree. Did you happen to weigh the tires and rims in the swap? Are they significantly heavier to cause some suspension oscillation? As I have always thought, the RLX suspension must have been tuned for the SH. The lighter tail end of the PAWS model seemed to bob and weave a bit more than I was comfortable with on my PAWS test drives (2014 MY).
The car is behaving that way with my OEM wheels and the Conti tires. I just assumed it was the tires as the car didn't behave that way previously with the Michelins on my OEM wheels or the Michelins on my new Rotiforms. The Rotiforms are 6 pounds lighter per wheel than the OEM wheels.

Maybe a visit to the dealer is in order.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread - I associated the uneasiness to the Contis which is why I thought I'd mention it as the OP is considering them!
pgeorg (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Thanks for weighing in limelight- the setup looks great on your car! Maybe I will consider staying with 19s but in a different style than stock. I hope to get into a local shop this weekend to mull some wheel and tire options and see what can be done. I also have a good relationship with my local dealer (family has bought a 17 RDX Advance AWD and 17 MDX Tech SHAWD within the last 2 months from them) so will run the choice by the service guys as well. However, I have found most people here know more about the SH than the dealership on most topics - I actually had a service rep (not my assigned rep) tell me I did not need a B16 service a few weeks ago because my car did not need a differential fluid change. When I told him the maintenance minder was stating B16 and the car was the SH the response was to the effect of "Are you sure? There are only about 500 of those in the country..." Of course, I politely affirmed I was sure.
pgeorg (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Limelight
Maybe a visit to the dealer is in order.
Please let us know what they say Limelight.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
Thanks for weighing in limelight- the setup looks great on your car! Maybe I will consider staying with 19s but in a different style than stock. I hope to get into a local shop this weekend to mull some wheel and tire options and see what can be done. I also have a good relationship with my local dealer (family has bought a 17 RDX Advance AWD and 17 MDX Tech SHAWD within the last 2 months from them) so will run the choice by the service guys as well. However, I have found most people here know more about the SH than the dealership on most topics - I actually had a service rep (not my assigned rep) tell me I did not need a B16 service a few weeks ago because my car did not need a differential fluid change. When I told him the maintenance minder was stating B16 and the car was the SH the response was to the effect of "Are you sure? There are only about 500 of those in the country..." Of course, I politely affirmed I was sure.
It is so sad to me, that this is something you run into all the time.....
People just don't take pride in their work anymore......why not educate yourself, and be the best you can be at your job :-(.

I think wheels are a pretty safe part to upgrade in any car, but I suspect changing the offset too much might create problems......it does change the geometry of the suspension and the wheel itself. Maybe the P-AWS is more sensitive to those changes compared to the SH, because of the toe change in the rear......