High-pitched whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
High-pitched whine

Anyone else have a high-pitched whining noise at 30-35 mph? It's faint, but definitely there. I thought at first it was like electrical interference coming through the radio, but it apparently isn't.

Not a huge deal, but I'm curious if anyone else hears it.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
wow - that sounds like the same thing that was on the RL - same speed range and sounds like coming from the radio
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
there is a high pitched noise that I get specifically when accelerating between 2nd and 3rd gear. But the noise I hear is most definitely an external engine sound as it's specific to RPM and still occurs even with all the electronics/radio off.

From what I've been able to tell, it's sounds specific to one of the fans in the engine when it gets to a very specific RPM. The sound is very mechanical and almost akin to a very small jet turbine engine. It quickly disappears after I reach above 3rd gear.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about it. I'll check tomorrow to see if mine comes in at the speeds your describing.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
there is a high pitched noise that I get specifically when accelerating between 2nd and 3rd gear. But the noise I hear is most definitely an external engine sound as it's specific to RPM and still occurs even with all the electronics/radio off.

From what I've been able to tell, it's sounds specific to one of the fans in the engine when it gets to a very specific RPM. The sound is very mechanical and almost akin to a very small jet turbine engine. It quickly disappears after I reach above 3rd gear.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about it. I'll check tomorrow to see if mine comes in at the speeds your describing.
yes, i have it. it actually sounds more like a whistling noise than a whine. it occurs around 2500 rpms and stops at 3000 rpms.
has anyone had the dealer evaluate this and offer a solution?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Anyone else have a high-pitched whining noise at 30-35 mph? It's faint, but definitely there. I thought at first it was like electrical interference coming through the radio, but it apparently isn't.

Not a huge deal, but I'm curious if anyone else hears it.

Originally Posted by mgalbr22
yes, i have it. it actually sounds more like a whistling noise than a whine. it occurs around 2500 rpms and stops at 3000 rpms.
Yes, I definitely notice this.

It's not disturbing me too much yet and I haven't done anything about it, but I can definitely hear it! :-)

I wondered like original poster whether it was coming from the Krell Audio, but I haven't investigated thoroughly.

The audio system feeds back a very nice sounding engine noise when engaging in certain activities. That's what it was designed to do, so to me it seems not beyond all conjecture that it is a slight feedback problem.

4900 miles now and still 50% oil life, so it'll still be a while before I get to the dealer to complain about it. It doesn't bother me enough to make a fuss but you are right...it is there!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

personally I think it's the same injection fan that causes the "clacking" sound when the engine is running completely idle that's also making this high-pitched whistle/whine. I complained about this noise early on when I got my RLX as to me it sounds like an old engine with bad cyclinders and/or out of oil. The Service Center said it was the injection fan that I'm referring to and nothing could be done about it.

The injection fan follows the RPM, and if it's making that much noise at idle, then it's definitely going to make noise when it fires up and hits higher RPMs. Since it's only occuring at specific RPM's, then that's usually indication of a bad design / flaw in the rotation/oscillation of the fan at various RPMs

Last edited by holografique; 03-06-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Grandpa

I've been driving some kind of Honda since 1989.

To be honest, they've always had some engine noise that can be surprising if you've come to Honda from an American engine with hydraulic lifters.

Injector noise, sure. Valve clatter, sure. That's just what Hondas do. My B motors did it, my K motors did it, and all my J motors did it, even the RLX J Motor.

But, I've never even heard of an injector fan. LOL.... That's a new one on me.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 AM
AcurAdmirer

I'm not familiar with injector fans, either, but it's good to know I'm not the only one hearing this!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Grandpa

About 150 miles yesterday, and I didn't notice it a single time!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's definitely during the 30-35mph range and only when accelerating. I'm gonna try and capture some video when I get a chance.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
What the heck is an injector fan?! Never heard of such a thing.
By the way, I don't have the krell audio system, and I have the whistle/whine sound. Don't think it has anything to do with audio system. When i noticed it, I shut off the audio and heard it clearly between 2500-3000 rpms.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The Injector Fan is used to spread the magic HondaDust™ throughout the intake system and it provides improved economy and power.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mgalbr22

This TSB explains the body plugs under the car that contribute to wind noise. I wonder if that is what you might be hearing. Mine were missing so I am taking into the dealer to install them. This is explained in the TSB TQI(total quality inspection) instructions that are used before delivering a car to the customer.

"

Install the Body Plugs

Install the four body plugs that are stored in the license

plate holder bag (in the trunk) as shown. If the body

plugs are not installed, the vehicle may have a difficult to-

diagnose wind noise.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or it could be the rear steering actuators which I can hear a whine on mine so I am also taking the car in for this TSB replacement.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 PM
AcurAdmirer

Actually, there is such a thing as injector fans. They direct cooling air over the fuel injectors. I don't know if our cars have them or not, though.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by colin
the injector fan is used to spread the magic hondadust™ throughout the intake system and it provides improved economy and power.
lol!!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
lol!!!!!
Should not be confused with "Internet Whine" which is found on many a car forum.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by teamtlr
This TSB explains the body plugs under the car that contribute to wind noise. I wonder if that is what you might be hearing. Mine were missing so I am taking into the dealer to install them. This is explained in the TSB TQI(total quality inspection) instructions that are used before delivering a car to the customer.

"

Install the Body Plugs

Install the four body plugs that are stored in the license

plate holder bag (in the trunk) as shown. If the body

plugs are not installed, the vehicle may have a difficult to-

diagnose wind noise.

That's not the same issue. This issue directly follows the RPM of the engine when throttling through 30-35Mph and then immediately disappears. It's definitely a mechanically driven sound that is occurring as a result of something oscillating at high-speeds in the engine. Like I said previously, it sounds almost like a jet-turbine engine for the brief seconds that it appears.

The whole "injection fan" thing was specific to the "rattling" "clanking" sound that the engine makes when running full idle. I'll take a video of it and post it later so that it's clear what I'm talking about. the Service Center was the one that told me the noise was caused by an "injection fan". I'm not claiming to know what or if this is true, but that's what they told me. I only commented on this "injection fan" as it may be the same oscillating device that's causing the high-pitched whine that occurs between 30-35Mph.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
That's not the same issue. This issue directly follows the RPM of the engine when throttling through 30-35Mph and then immediately disappears. It's definitely a mechanically driven sound that is occurring as a result of something oscillating at high-speeds in the engine. Like I said previously, it sounds almost like a jet-turbine engine for the brief seconds that it appears.

The whole "injection fan" thing was specific to the "rattling" "clanking" sound that the engine makes when running full idle. I'll take a video of it and post it later so that it's clear what I'm talking about. the Service Center was the one that told me the noise was caused by an "injection fan". I'm not claiming to know what or if this is true, but that's what they told me. I only commented on this "injection fan" as it may be the same oscillating device that's causing the high-pitched whine that occurs between 30-35Mph.
Did you ever get this fix? I heard the same thing at around 35 to 40 mph. Very low pitch sounds like a love dove cooing noise. I just brought my 2015 into the dealer for the 1st service and the headlight recall. They gave me a 2015 RLX Tech as a loaner and it had the same noise at around the same mph and it only had 1100 miles. I mention it to the service manager and he told me that it could be the actuator. He told they have replaced them in the past and it did not seem to fix the problem. But I was in luck since he had just heard acura has a new actuators and he would get me those and install them. He did not even drive the car to hear the sound, just took it in and replaced the parts. The actuator parts number for anyone interested is 52345-ty2-306 and 52340-ty2-306. He said it fixed the problem, they did not hear anything during the test drive. I have not yet had a chance to check it out, I will let you know. They also did a mini detail for me. My 1st service cost me nothing but cost Acura $6700.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Actually, there is such a thing as injector fans. They direct cooling air over the fuel injectors. I don't know if our cars have them or not, though.

funny going back and looking at the attempts on this thread to make an ass out of me over something that actually does exist. And sales reps wonder why they get a bad rap sometimes. Maybe they should learn to trust and listen to their loyal customers a bit more...

anyways...

woropallo - I did not get the "issue" fixed per say. I eventually attributed it to the ANC system of the RLX and just accepted it for what it is.

What I did end up exhibiting longer term (and still have the issue) is the engine "chirping" noise that is addressed and discussed in TSB 14-025 "Timing Belt Chirp". It becomes less prevalent in winter and gets ALOT louder during warmer temperatures. I'll probably request to have it done during my next service.

Im curious to know more about this "actuator" problem. Is there a TSB for this? Thanks for sharing your experience and info on it.

Another annoying "noise" issue that was never properly resolved by Acura is the A/C moaning issue, which is very loud and also a "whistle" like sound that you can hear at all various RPM's emanating from the middle area of the dashboard. It was supposed to be fixed by TSB 13-026 "A/C Moans from the Engine", which I had performed on my RLX last year but the issue came back a week or so later. I have yet to try the DIY fix that was posted by a user somewhere on here, but honestly I dont have the time nor should I have to fix it myself with this type of car/price.

Last edited by holografique; 03-17-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
funny going back and looking at the attempts on this thread to make an ass out of me over something that actually does exist. And sales reps wonder why they get a bad rap sometimes. Maybe they should learn to trust and listen to their loyal customers a bit more...

anyways...

woropallo - I did not get the "issue" fixed per say. I eventually attributed it to the ANC system of the RLX and just accepted it for what it is.

What I did end up exhibiting longer term (and still have the issue) is the engine "chirping" noise that is addressed and discussed in TSB 14-025 "Timing Belt Chirp". It becomes less prevalent in winter and gets ALOT louder during warmer temperatures. I'll probably request to have it done during my next service.

Im curious to know more about this "actuator" problem. Is there a TSB for this? Thanks for sharing your experience and info on it.
Here the TSB 13-041
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by woropallo
Here the TSB 13-041
hmmm, interesting. That's the P-AWS Actuator TSB, which I also had done early on and that is resolved for me. That issue also only cropped up during extremely slow speeds (5-10mph parking lot hunting speed). Interesting to see that you experienced it at somewhat faster speeds. I'm guessing maybe something more specific to the 2015 models...