Cabin Temp issues. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Cabin Temp issues. Normal?

I have been noticing this a while and decided to post about it. I came from a '15 TLX Advance and never had this issue with that car or previous Acuras I have had.

It's been in the 40's here in the mornings, I have my temp set at 70 Auto.. I get too warm and have to lower it the temp to 65 to be comfortable.

In the afternoons, setting the temp at 70 freezes me out. The outside temp. is around 50. I end up setting the auto temp to 72-74 to be comfortable.

I have never owned a car that has ever done this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
Stew
Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My '15 TLX is the same. Can't get a decent baseline temp in car without really chaning the temp drastically. My '14 RLX is fine. In my TLX the temp has to be set to 80 in the winter or cold air will blow from the front windshield vents which exasperates the feeling of coolness when cool air is blowing on your face. I have no problems in the summer keep temps comfoprtable.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (01-05-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Auto at 72° works well in winter as the fan speed is low until the engine warms up. I had to adjust the settings more often in the RL compared to the RLX.

I just discovered the rear vents were blowing cold all winter. I wonder how much affect this had with the auto temp.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (01-19-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have started not wearing a coat while in the car in the mornings and still have to lower the temp to around 65 to be comfy, outside temp has been around 40-50 in the mornings.

I have to raise the temp to 72 as soon as I get in the car to go home. I do not like the way this "auto" system works, at all.... /endrant
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Is it possible that this is a result of Acura's 'Solar Sensing Automatic Climate Control'? Between sensors and GPS the system adjusts the climate control output based on the positioning of the sun and angle to the car.

This may explain why it is warmer in the morning, adjusting to the low sun angle? And less in the afternoon with a higher sun angle?

I am an oddball that does not care for auto climate control. I never agreed with what the car was doing temp and fan speed wise. So I basically have 2 manual settings I use. Two thirds of the year is A/C weather and I use MAX A/C. The winter thirds with cold mornings (37F today) I use 65F, seat warmer and heated steering wheel. Done.

The only time I use anything else is when I have passengers, and I use the VC to set 'Passenger Temperature 68 Degrees', which satisfies most in either hot or cold weather. I must have been a dog in a former life as I always need the air moving. Fan Speed 3 is pretty much it for me.

It is very rare when I deviate from those settings / conditions.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have been noticing this a while and decided to post about it. I came from a '15 TLX Advance and never had this issue with that car or previous Acuras I have had.

It's been in the 40's here in the mornings, I have my temp set at 70 Auto.. I get too warm and have to lower it the temp to 65 to be comfortable.

In the afternoons, setting the temp at 70 freezes me out. The outside temp. is around 50. I end up setting the auto temp to 72-74 to be comfortable.

I have never owned a car that has ever done this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
Stew
I have same problem and also had it in my 2005 RL. I think they over engineered the HVAC with gps, sun angle, etc. In my 2005, I was convinced that there was a sw glitch that had East and West reversed with respect to sun angle.