ACC Bug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
ACC Bug?

Unless I'm missing something, isn't ACC (and even basic Cruise Control) supposed to maintain the set speed, regardless of road inclination?

My RLX has no problem maintaining on a hill climb, but descending on a hill and every time the car easily surpasses the set speed by at 5-10mph.

That doesn't seem right, and further concerns me, especially when I use ACC to maintain my speed limit and avoid getting tickets...
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I have not noticed this. In fact, my ACC seems to apply brakes when necessary.. That said, maybe I could have been behind traffic going downhill
Old 07-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea, it definitely works for me as well when tracking a vehicle and will apply brakes as needed. but when it's not tracking a vehicle and I'm going down a hill, it flies right past the set speed every time.

curious to see if you or anyone else is seeing this.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

I checked going downhill, no traffic and it kept me at set speed
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't have the issue that the original poster spoke about. When I'm by myself on the road in whatever circumstances, it holds speed well.

I suppose my biggest complaint would be its digital v. analogue interpretation of conditions.

It waits too long to decide to brake. It's reliable...but it can scare a passenger who isn't accustomed to how it works.

It is also a little jerky in some situations, especially when deciding on how to stop behind a car ahead.

This is my first car with ACC_LSF, so I'm not sure if the Acura is better or worse than other vehicles.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by getakey
I checked going downhill, no traffic and it kept me at set speed
Thanks for checking! My guess is it could be some type of calibration needed on mine. I'll mention it during the next service visit.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton

I suppose my biggest complaint would be its digital v. analogue interpretation of conditions.
I thought that might have been the cause of my issue (analogue readout isn't matching what the car is actually maintaining. But as long as I'm not on an inclination, it maintains the set speed perfectly and the analogue readout shows it accurately.

It's only when going downhill (and no traffic in front of me) that the car will start to speed up and surpasses the set speed.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Grandpa

I think that I did not explain my analogue v. digital idea very accurately.

What I meant is that the car seems to go from Slack Away to Heave In, whereas a human foot would have found a more gradual in-between solution.

:-)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I think that I did not explain my analogue v. digital idea very accurately.

What I meant is that the car seems to go from Slack Away to Heave In, whereas a human foot would have found a more gradual in-between solution.

:-)
its definitely jerky. Main problem is when someone merges in close ahead of you. I try and tap the brakes quickly so it doesn't kick in and slow me way down
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
its definitely jerky. Main problem is when someone merges in close ahead of you. I try and tap the brakes quickly so it doesn't kick in and slow me way down
The system should have "look-ahead" and recognize the amber turn signals of the car merging in front of you and compensate smoothly.
There might be a few problems with that though:
1 US car manufacturers are too dumb to use amber turn signals so a system could not tell if a car is turning on its lights, braking or indicating.
2 The ACC is too simple to recognize such an eventuality.
3 People are not smart enough to indicate when they make a lane change.
4 The ACC takes too long to recognize if a car moves in front of you or if one moves out of the way.

With all of the talk regarding autonomous cars it is very surprising that ACC with LSF is so basic in its implementation. ACC is not new, Acura has had it for many years.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura 2014 RLX Advance - This week I was returning from going out to supper and was driving about 35 Mph when the big Orange Lights came on saying I had ACC Failure - I tried the ACC and it would not work - This warning stayed on until I got home and turned the engine off - When I restarted the engine the large reading was off but the small orange warning light was on. I took it to the dealer for a 15,000 mile (prepaid service) and they said they had new software for the problem (They put on the maintenance invoice - 15030 Recall is Open?) - It seems to be O.K. now - Have you guys had this problem with the ACC?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by db22
1 US car manufacturers are too dumb to use amber turn signals so a system could not tell if a car is turning on its lights, braking or indicating.
It has annoyed me for untold years that drivers of all-red cars will indicate a turn and then for some unknown reason pump their brakes a couple of times.

You can't pass or do anything other than slow down, because you can't tell if they're going left or right.

4 The ACC takes too long to recognize if a car moves in front of you or if one moves out of the way.
A problem that I have every day is that a vehicle will move out from in front of me, into a turning lane, but ACC and CMBSS continue to see it as something in the way.

My car will keep slowing down for the car that's moved out of the way unless I over ride it with the accelerator.

The more I think about it, the better that recall flash is sounding. :-)

ACC is not new, Acura has had it for many years.
Please, in what cars did they use it? 2014 was the first time that I noticed it.

Originally Posted by mike2landon
Have you guys had this problem with the ACC?
Not yet!!