Sports Hybrid - Adaptive Cruise Control

Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Sports Hybrid - Adaptive Cruise Control

I have been giving the ACC a lot of work lately so I thought I would share my experience. I don't know if the experience is much different that on a RLX PAWS since I have no frame of reference. Perhaps George will weigh in on that. In short, though it works exceedingly well.

My work commute is mostly along Pacific Coast Highway, a 4 lane highway, speed limit 45-50 MPH and a number of traffic lights. I usually experience moderate traffic so the ACC gets quite a workout, cars are always changing lanes, speeding up and slowing down. I configure the HUD to show the ACC and LKAS icons. It indicates whether it senses a car or other obstruction in the lane in front as well as the set speed. It works like a charm, even to the point of completely stopping the car at a traffic light. It does take some getting used to since my normal reaction when traffic slows in front of me is to use the brake. I need to learn to trust the system but it is hard particularly when I am going 50 mph and a traffic light turns red and the cars in front quickly come to a stop. I have resisted the urge to brake myself and found that the electronics perform perfectly, bringing me to a full stop smoothly. The ACC also seems to give me better gas mileage and also keeps the Battery gauge pretty full.

So far the only anomaly occurred on a gentle curve when I was going 50 with a clear lane in front of me. There was a car in the other lane somewhat ahead of me. As we both went around the bend, the ACC picked up the car in the adjacent lane. Since the car was fairly close to me, the ACC aggressively braked my car. It lasted only for a short time since as the road straighten out the ACC sensed a clear path ahead and bought the car back to the set speed.

I am finding the Sports Hybrid is a unique automobile that produces a different type of feel and experience than other cars I have had. It will take some getting used to. Different is not bad, just not the same as the last 50 years of driving. i am still enjoying the h*** out of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Zoommer (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The only trouble I can think of right of hand has been shared by both of my RLX's.

When a car turns off of the road in front of you, the system will continue to slow you down even after the car is completely away from you.

You also have to keep your eyes open for the possibility of unnerving a passenger who is not prepared for the late braking ACC. :-)

The ACC + LKAS has helped me every day that I drive the car, and I always get where I'm going feeling better than I used to, and I get home in the evening feeling better than I used to.

It's a great thing to have.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
My experience is pretty much the same. I adjust the distance between my car and the car in front of me depending on traffic conditions to minimize the number of times the car slows down and re-accelerates. Works really well.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Pretty much same behavior in the 2014 P-AWS. Glad to see you're getting to experience the great tech the car offers.

Last edited by holografique; 11-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.