Sending Map Destinations to Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Sending Map Destinations to Car

I am still adjusting to differences in the RLX NAV from my former RL. But one new feature I like is the ability to send a map destination to the car from my laptop or smartphone.

I found a few quirks and I am curious if anyone found the solution or workaround.

1. Sending multiple addresses to the car: Although the car acknowledges the multiple destinations have been received, once you select one and save or map it in the NAV, I cannot figure how to get back the the second or additional destinations I sent to the car and save accordingly?

2. Once I select a destination received by the car, I can map it (select it as a destination) or save it to address book. There is not 'Today's Destinations' to save to like the RL. So if I have multiple destinations, I cannot sort them for my planned routes. The RLX NAV does not have a staging file to store the destinations aside from Address Book?

3. If I wish to save the destination in the address book, the street address automatically is populated in the NAME field of the address book entry, not the address field. And since you cannot copy / paste you wind up re-entering the address line and editing the NAME. Poor design or am I missing something?

I have been enjoying the car immensely. But I am finally settled in enough now that I can focus on the new and different features from my former RL. My next project is to better learn and leverage the phone use differences as it is now more integrated into the NAV whereas the RL's hands free was more a separate system with limited linking to the NA features.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
1. Sending multiple addresses to the car: Although the car acknowledges the multiple destinations have been received, once you select one and save or map it in the NAV, I cannot figure how to get back the the second or additional destinations I sent to the car and save accordingly?

If i am understanding the question correctly, you can use the "Previous Destinations" to get back to the additional destinations.
I apologize if this is not what you are asking for....

Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks pgeorg, I will investigate that. But I expect the 'received' destinations will not populate in the Previous Destinations list until after you accept it (map it or save or Address Book). The situation I describe is when the car 'receives' multiple destination upon start up and after you map or save the first destination, I cannot find the pathway to return to the original 'destinations received' you get upon start up of the car, to map or save the second destination.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok, got it. So i sent 3 destinations to the car, just to check. As soon as i picked one the other two disappeared. So while the map is showing on the top screen, i hit MENU, then MORE SEARCH METHODS, then DOWNLOAD POI. Wouldn't you know, all of the address i sent to the car where there. If you pick any of them, you can set as destination, etc. To add them to a route, maybe you use the WAYPOINT option (?).... I apologize for not having anymore time to try it right now, but i will try it later on. If you figure it out, i would live to know also:-)
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
fsmith (12-27-2015), hondamore (01-01-2016)
Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

pgeorg, I admire your tenacity. And Thank You for investigating.

Indeed I would not have known to look in the POI file, nor found that in the manual. I will check that out as well as using the waypoint to route multiple destinations. Sad point is I do not use that frequently enough to remember those pathways and it is not intuitive.

I think I will take a day and do some 'use cases' and test them with the car. Not seeing others report these issues tells me the features are more complex than most users will leverage.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Malibu Flyer (12-27-2015), pgeorg (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

3. If I wish to save the destination in the address book, the street address automatically is populated in the NAME field of the address book entry, not the address field. And since you cannot copy / paste you wind up re-entering the address line and editing the NAME. Poor design or am I missing something?
Forgot to mention, that i also tried to save one entry to the address book. You are correct that the name field is populated by the address, but so is the address field (you can't edit the address field). I believe its giving you the choice to change the name of the address, so you can identify it in your address book (like Home, Work, etc). After you edit the name (or leave it as is), and push the center knob downwards you are done. No need to enter the address again.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Ok, got it. So i sent 3 destinations to the car, just to check. As soon as i picked one the other two disappeared. So while the map is showing on the top screen, i hit MENU, then MORE SEARCH METHODS, then DOWNLOAD POI. Wouldn't you know, all of the address i sent to the car where there. If you pick any of them, you can set as destination, etc. To add them to a route, maybe you use the WAYPOINT option (?).... I apologize for not having anymore time to try it right now, but i will try it later on. If you figure it out, i would live to know also:-)
pgeorg - I'd like to know how you found that, as I, also, did not know it existed. Is it in your service manuals, or did we miss it in the RLX NAV docs, or did you find it by chance or intuition? In any case, nice catch.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsmith
pgeorg - I'd like to know how you found that, as I, also, did not know it existed. Is it in your service manuals, or did we miss it in the RLX NAV docs, or did you find it by chance or intuition? In any case, nice catch.
Unfortunately this was not in the service manual, or the RLX NAV manual. I searched both......
I would have to say that this was found by chance:-)
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (12-28-2015)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Unless Im forgetting something, the way to do all of this is to send additional addressess AFTER you have accepted and mapped out the first destination. Upon receipt of additional locations, it will ask if you want to add the new locations as additional waypoints to your existing route. Once added, you can edit a complete list of all waypoints on the current plotted route and can edit their place of order in the entire route.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
hondamore (01-01-2016), pgeorg (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ That sounds like an alternative method, in order to accept and map the first destination you would have to be in the car and use the smartphone to send subsequent destinations?

I did send three destinations from my laptop and it did work as pgeorg suggested. You can load and map the subsequent destinations from the DOWNLOAD POI feature (after selecting Menu). You can also order and reorder the waypoints as you wish.

However, unlike pgeorg my downloads still populate the address in the NAME field of the address book and not the ADDRESS field (not duplicated). I think I will call the Acura Tech support and see if they are aware of this and perhaps it can be corrected via the Acuralink servers and not necessarily the car's software.

Further, I would love if we could synch our address books to our smartphone or better yet laptops. It would make editing entries via laptop, much easier and plotting trips where several address book entries are the waypoints. Fortunately my address book is minimal, but for those road warriors and 2 driver users, editing the address book entries, even by voice, can be time consuming.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (01-01-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^^^ That sounds like an alternative method, in order to accept and map the first destination you would have to be in the car and use the smartphone to send subsequent destinations?
Correct. I typically send all destinations from the smartphone app. In my case the AcuraLink iPhone app. I've only used a laptop on a couple of occassions to communicate with the car. Most of my "computing" (outside of work) happens on my smartphone these days.

I did send three destinations from my laptop and it did work as pgeorg suggested. You can load and map the subsequent destinations from the DOWNLOAD POI feature (after selecting Menu). You can also order and reorder the waypoints as you wish.
Thanks to you and pgeorg for the tip/info. I wasnt aware of that method. Will have to give it a try
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I finally got this figured out as well, the issue with addresses sent to the car populating the 'Name' line when stored to Address Book.

This occurs when you use Acuralink Search. If you search on the address and then send it to the car, the 1st Address Line will populate the 'Name' line. Subsequently if you save that destination to Address Book, that 1st address line becomes the entry name.

What I did not know what that the Acuralink Destinations Search was able to search on names, places (as you would with a simple Google Search). So I was always searching my destination based on the address. So if you search by address, you get no destination name in the return results.

Instead I just search on the place (i.e. "Home Depot") and the results have Home Depot as the destination name plus address. Then sending that result to the car it appears as Home Depot plus address in the car. Subsequently saving that to address book, you now have Home Depot in your address book rather than 123 Main Street.

Took awhile to figure that out, but I was mostly using this feature not as much to Search a destination, but instead to enter a known address and send it to the car (avoiding using the car commands to enter an address).

The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (04-18-2016), pgeorg (04-18-2016)