Navi Bug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Navi Bug?

Used the route guidance for first time this morning (took my car to get Opticoated)

While route guidance was on, I placed a phone call on HFL. Nav screen goes to half size while phone info pops up on the right side of the screen.

I'm driving along and notice that the left side (Nav portion) is not updating my location. Its stuck on the spot I initiated the call. I ended the call and when Nav filled the screen it jumped to my correct location.
One time problem or bug??

One thing I did not like is that the route was all blue. In previous RL Nav, the portions of the route that were affected by traffic turned the appropriate color, i.e., yellow, red. However, the entire route was blue and I was stuck in traffic. It appeared that traffic flow was still there on the side of the route, but the route blue line was so thick that it made the traffic virtually invisible.
Maybe I missed a setting to have it display directly on the route.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
You are correct on the way it displays traffic information. I don't like it either. It's practically impossible to see it. To be honest, I've almost had to relegate completely to using Google Maps on my iPhone to get a real clear understanding of where traffic congestion currently is cause it's just too difficult to see it with the color scheme of the Nav.

As far as I could tell, there is no way to change this in the Nav settings. The only thing you can do is switch your background color to the night-time color (dark blue) which makes the small thin traffic lines become a bit more visible. But still difficult to see.

As for your "bug", can't say I've come across that one.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I agree, too. The traffic lines are so thin that you can't easily see them, and they blend in too much with the street lines. For me they're not very helpful at all.

As for the screen freezing during a call, I haven't had a call while I was on a set route. But it could very well be a limitation n the processing power of the unit.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Safety Car

The navi response time for input is definitely slower than the previous RL
I'm going to test the call during route again and see if I can reproduce
Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
What you may try, is to touch the Nav key after the phone call is made, that way you return to the NAV screen and not split screen.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by victorber
What you may try, is to touch the Nav key after the phone call is made, that way you return to the NAV screen and not split screen.
thanks - sounds like a good work around
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
. It appeared that traffic flow was still there on the side of the route, but the route blue line was so thick that it made the traffic virtually invisible.
I agree with you there. It's a little annoying and somebody should have asked for a change there.

I have a dumb question. When you had the problem with the left side of the screen updating your position, were you connected to the interface only via Bluetooth, or were you connected via both Bluetooth and the iPod/USB connection?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I agree with you there. It's a little annoying and somebody should have asked for a change there.

I have a dumb question. When you had the problem with the left side of the screen updating your position, were you connected to the interface only via Bluetooth, or were you connected via both Bluetooth and the iPod/USB connection?
I only had my phone (Android) connected via Bluetooth.
I tried it again and it did not have the problem. Maybe a 1-time thing or intermittent.
Took a short trip this weekend. I will say that the Nav seems to have a few glitches and at times it is slow. I put in a route and it did not show the blue line. It had the turn by turn directions, but no blue line over the route. I waited to see if it was just a lag problem, but did not fix itself. Changed zoom scale and it did appear and stayed when I returned to the previous zoom. Also seem like traffic is only displayed in a smaller radius of your present location. If a panned around, there were areas with no traffic that would have showed in previous RL NAV.

On the plus side, there is a lot more info in this NAV and the turn by turn directions are more complete, i.e., make immediate next turn or make second available turn, etc.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Grandpa

I will say that the Nav seems to have a few glitches and at times it is slow.
Talk to people who do car reviews (I know a few). According to them, and this is anecdotal of course, the RLX NAV is one of the ones they can count on one hand that they cannot BSOD virtually at will.

I don't know what they do to NAV systems, but according to them we're doing okay.

For whatever that's worth.

I put in a route and it did not show the blue line.
That's happened to me a couple of times and it seems to be related to attempts to multi-task in a way that communicates with the car. That is to say, starting something before the infotainment system has finished with the last task.

I find it annoying slow at times, too. However, again, if you compare it with other cars being put on the road for this model year, it's not so slow.

To me, all infotainment systems are slow and I don't understand why they don't spend $50.00 more per car on better processors.

Sometimes it's the coding that slows it down, since different languages are used for different parts of the system, and all those parts have to interface on two screens using different languages.

Also seem like traffic is only displayed in a smaller radius of your present location. If a panned around, there were areas with no traffic that would have showed in previous RL NAV.
Satellite v. cellular, I'm afraid. Each has its advantages. I like being able to see primary and secondary traffic in addition to Interstate, but if you can't keep the cellular connection 100% of the time then it's not doing its job some of the time.

Have you ever gone to change routes or check congestion at a particular place and got the "Cannot connect to AcuraLink.... Please use the displayed route" messages? That's annoying.

You wonder if you're going to get stuck in traffic somewhere, sometime, just because there's no cellular signal for AcuraLink to know to re-route you around it. Wonderful feature in theory...but it worries me that I've already discovered that it won't work 100% of the time.

On the plus side, there is a lot more info in this NAV and the turn by turn directions are more complete, i.e., make immediate next turn or make second available turn, etc.
The whole system is a step forward compared to the previous system, but as usual we're going to have more complaints about it because there's more to complain about.
The following users liked this post:
victorber (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I find it annoying slow at times, too. However, again, if you compare it with other cars being put on the road for this model year, it's not so slow.
I have to disagree with this, solely from the perspective that Acura's lower end vehicles NAV systems perform much faster than their flagship luxury sedan. I have first hand experience with this in my wife's ILX, and when having driven loaner RDX's, TL's, etc, all of which are far more responsive and snappier as one would expect...not to mention my wife's ILX is a 2013 model to add insult to injury...

That is where I have issues. Customers shouldn't be paying more to get less...especially within the same brand. It should be the other way around.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
During our recent 5600 mile trip we had a problem with our nav sys not setting in the route and caused the screen to blank out and I could not reboot the sys unless we were at a complete stop.
I called Acura CSD and relayed the problem and they mentioned a few key points:

1. The Nav sys is as George described as to loading up without completing a route, that's exactly what happened to me. I now take a breath before attempting another task.

2. During the progress of a trip using a program route the mileage countdown and time to arrive are sequenced thru "Acura" as to tie in the Real Time Traffic. I was truly amazed when told this, as I never gave much thought as to real time traffic at the different cities along the route.

This communication with Acura made me feel a little on the Dumb side as to not reading the nav sys manual more carefully.

Way to go Acura...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

2. During the progress of a trip using a program route the mileage countdown and time to arrive are sequenced thru "Acura" as to tie in the Real Time Traffic. I was truly amazed when told this, as I never gave much thought as to real time traffic at the different cities along the route.
Thanks for sharing this, I was curious if the time to destination readout was updating based on RTT information.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

During our recent 5600 mile trip we had a problem with our nav sys not setting in the route and caused the screen to blank out and I could not reboot the sys unless we were at a complete stop.
I called Acura CSD and relayed the problem and they mentioned a few key points:

1. The Nav sys is as George described as to loading up without completing a route, that's exactly what happened to me. I now take a breath before attempting another task.

This communication with Acura made me feel a little on the Dumb side as to not reading the nav sys manual more carefully.

Way to go Acura...
But time to destination was based on traffic flow in the RL as well and now I know it had better data or at least more wide spread data
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Grandpa

2. During the progress of a trip using a program route the mileage countdown and time to arrive are sequenced thru "Acura" as to tie in the Real Time Traffic. I was truly amazed when told this, as I never gave much thought as to real time traffic at the different cities along the route..
When it's working right, it's a very nice meaningful step forward.

You don't always have a cellular connection to AcuraLink, and that's the little problem. They keep you informed by setting the number of "waves" in the "L" of the AcuraLink notice in the nav screen.

But if you guys can see that when you're moving, your eyes are better than mine. :-)

If you've set Quickroute instead of Eco or Direct, then you'll get steady updates to the traffic situation and it'll notify by voice when it is rerouting. But all this assumes that it is getting a cellular connection in time to re-route you!

Don't get me wrong.... It usually works and it's usually a big advantage.

You know how we are. We want 100% performance 100% of the time!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Grandpa

But time to destination was based on traffic flow in the RL as well and now I know it had better data or at least more wide spread data
I just want to be sure that I'm understanding you correctly.

The RLX has traffic data for Interstate, primary and secondary roads.

But your RL only had traffic data for the Interstate system, right?

It's possible I'm missing something, but if your RL traffic worked the same way that my TL traffic worked, I don't understand why you'd say the RL had more "widespread data."
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you've set Quickroute instead of Eco or Direct, then you'll get steady updates to the traffic situation and it'll notify by voice when it is rerouting.
Did not know this! Thanks George!!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by holografique
Did not know this! Thanks George!!
On one occasion, although I really worried about it, I obeyed the re-routing and ended up on some domed country roads, one of which was just barely paved.

I felt like I'd run across Jeff Foxworthy at any moment: "Turn left off the paved road...."

But I got there, and ahead of everybody else who got stuck in an accident on Route 29.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

I just want to be sure that I'm understanding you correctly.

The RLX has traffic data for Interstate, primary and secondary roads.

But your RL only had traffic data for the Interstate system, right?

It's possible I'm missing something, but if your RL traffic worked the same way that my TL traffic worked, I don't understand why you'd say the RL had more "widespread data."
yes, you are correct. "widespread" was a wrong choice of words. It showed traffic over a wider radius but mainly on highways. Some (but very few) surface roads had traffic with the last update I purchased.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

ok, had the bug happen again and it cost me time. Was travelling a new route that I was not familiar with. Was on the phone and navi was in split screen. I did not notice that it had stopped updating my position (and I forgot to hit the Nav button to get out of split screen). I was at 5 mile zoom scale, so position position does not change a lot. I ended call only to see my position update past the point of a turn that I should have made. Cost me about 5 miles to turn around and go back!

Also, had another strange thing. I used the "Go Home" to plan the route. It was a 130 mile trip and I new I needed to go a different route because the normal route would take me over the Bay Bridge just before the Giants game would start on Friday night. It gets very congested. I was stopped and in Park. I wanted to use the "Avoid Streets" function to eliminate Bay Bridge, but function was grayed out. Strange. So I started over and still grayed out. Then tried the display Route options and none of the routes displayed were the way I wanted to go. So I started going on the road that I wanted to go figuring it would recalc to route I wanted. Finally after 20 miles or so, it did. I decided to check the menu and now that I've been driving over 20 miles, the Avoid Street function is working. I had checked a couple times earlier while driving and it was still gray.

One more strange thing is that the final portion of the route was sending me on a longer route than necessary. By this time I knew the proper route, but the Nav was sending me 15 miles out of the best or most direct route. It had nothing do do with "Max Freeways, because the best direct route that I knew was all Freeway as was the longer route that it wanted me to go.
When I kept going past where it wanted me to go, it recalced and distance to destination decreased by 15 miles. Worse part was that it wanted to send me on a route that would have been way backed up because of a concert. If it had been someone who was not from the area, they would have been screwed.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
ok, had the bug happen again and it cost me time. Was travelling a new route that I was not familiar with. Was on the phone and navi was in split screen. I did not notice that it had stopped updating my position (and I forgot to hit the Nav button to get out of split screen). I was at 5 mile zoom scale, so position position does not change a lot. I ended call only to see my position update past the point of a turn that I should have made. Cost me about 5 miles to turn around and go back!

Also, had another strange thing. I used the "Go Home" to plan the route. It was a 130 mile trip and I new I needed to go a different route because the normal route would take me over the Bay Bridge just before the Giants game would start on Friday night. It gets very congested. I was stopped and in Park. I wanted to use the "Avoid Streets" function to eliminate Bay Bridge, but function was grayed out. Strange. So I started over and still grayed out. Then tried the display Route options and none of the routes displayed were the way I wanted to go. So I started going on the road that I wanted to go figuring it would recalc to route I wanted. Finally after 20 miles or so, it did. I decided to check the menu and now that I've been driving over 20 miles, the Avoid Street function is working. I had checked a couple times earlier while driving and it was still gray.

One more strange thing is that the final portion of the route was sending me on a longer route than necessary. By this time I knew the proper route, but the Nav was sending me 15 miles out of the best or most direct route. It had nothing do do with "Max Freeways, because the best direct route that I knew was all Freeway as was the longer route that it wanted me to go.
When I kept going past where it wanted me to go, it recalced and distance to destination decreased by 15 miles. Worse part was that it wanted to send me on a route that would have been way backed up because of a concert. If it had been someone who was not from the area, they would have been screwed.
I've had this happen on my TSX navigation system. I think the problem is the street database. This only happened to me when I updated the nav disc a few years ago. It's almost like it lost some turn information out of the database. Like it didn't know there was an intersection with a valid right turn but sends me straight through instead.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

on the navi route error, I was travelling west on 580 in Bay area and the nav wanted me to turn off 580 and go south on 84 and go down under the Bay on 237 back over to 101 north. The more direct route is to keep on 580 W and then take 92 (san mateo bridge) over to 101 and then south to my exit (Ralston)

looking on Google, the Navi route was about 9 miles longer, but I remember seeing it recalc to about 15 miles shorter.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

I know now why it routed me a longer route. After thinking about what I wrote above, I realized that it was routing me to avoid the toll bridges by going south around the Bay. My toll road setting is set to Min. This relates to another post I made concerning the settings. The Toll Road settings are "Max" or "Min". I think there should be an "Ignore" or "Off" choice.
I just want the most direct route regardless of tolls. Its not obvious to me whether Toll Road = Max will accomplish that.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Grandpa

I know now why it routed me a longer route. After thinking about what I wrote above, I realized that it was routing me to avoid the toll bridges by going south around the Bay. My toll road setting is set to Min. This relates to another post I made concerning the settings. The Toll Road settings are "Max" or "Min". I think there should be an "Ignore" or "Off" choice.
I just want the most direct route regardless of tolls. Its not obvious to me whether Toll Road = Max will accomplish that.
That's a bit of a relief to hear. :-)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

That's a bit of a relief to hear. :-)
yeah - does not function the same as previous RL.
Wonder what the trade off is between adding to route and minimizing tolls? Probably in the Navi manual?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

figured out the Avoid Streets issue and it is bad design logic.
Someone told me an alternate route to take that avoided a big construction mess. I figured I would just use the Avoid Street function and see if the Navi would calc the same suggestion. I'm in the parking lot and enter my destination. Route caled and I go to use Avoid Streets. Its grayed out exactly as before. I think maybe its a delay thing so I wait a few minutes, but nothing. I pull out of the parking lot and driving on the street and the function becomes available. So the issue is that in the parking lot, the car is not on a digitized street adn the function Avoid Streets is disabled. That's just dumb. It knows all the streets in the route and I'm sitting in a not moving car to make selection. Now, I'm moving on the street and the function becomes available. Its so opposite of all the other functions that are disabled once you start moving.

I also confirmed that it would route me 15 miles further when I had min Tolls versus max Tolls. Seems like odd logic as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Bug

Twice this week I have had the same issue - I've noticed that when I use the split screen mode for route guidance, in the list of upcoming turns it shows a road that I've already been on previously, instead of the road that I am on. For example I had already been on MD-200 and was going on I-95. Instead of showing that in 3 miles I should continue on I-5 it shows I should go on MD-200. Then the same thing happened two days later when I was coming back from New York state on I-287 and had already been on RT-17, it had RT-17 as the next turn when it meant stay on I-287. Anyone seen anything like that (2007 TL but wondering if any 2007 RL users would have seen the same thing as it uses the same disc) - this is with the 2014 update.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Still don't get the Avoid Streets function design
As I sadi, sitting in parking lot and function disabled because I'm not on a digitized road. Now I get on road and moving and function enabled. Go to avoid a street, but it is not on the first list. You cannot move to next list until you use jog dial to move to bottom of list. Then you cannot use jog dial anymore and have to say "Next" with voice command. Which becomes more difficult to use than just using jog dial. If I can scroll down 5 entries with the jog dial, why not continue. Or let me use voice from the start and say "Next" before using jog dial to get to the end.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

keep finding more stuff
this time a problem with traffic
An incident showed on the freeway, but the stop and go traffic flow was reporting in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, the stopped traffic was in my direction, but showed opposite. so I did not reroute and got caught up in a big mess.
You think after 10yrs they would have all the traffic flows corrected. I believe there is a way to report this