Wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wheel bearing replacement

This weekend my 14' MDX started making an "airplane" like sound while driving. I took it in to dealer and was told that I need new wheel bearings. I don't understand how a 2yr old car with 20k. miles need the wheel bearings replaced. I've owned cars for past 30+ years and never had a car where the wheel bearing needs to be replaced. I read that wheel bearing supposed to last the life of the car.

I'm wondering if this is something that's going to happen every ~20k miles with Acura? The dealer won't be able to get the parts in until next Thursday and told me it's perfectly safe to drive the car. Personally I think it's hard to believe that it's "perfectly safe" to drive the car, if that were the case then why replace with new ones? What are your thoughts on this? Can I continue to drive my MDX for the next nine days? The last thing I need is tires coming off the car.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i would NOT drive the car for next 9 days.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Are you sure it's wheel bearing and not just something like uneven wear on the tire?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Are you sure it's wheel bearing and not just something like uneven wear on the tire?
That's what the dealer said, wheel bearing.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
No matter how good it is the QC process, it is not uncommon to have a few out-of-spec components (in your case, wheel bearings) in any large scale automotive production runs.

Unless other members are also reporting widespread wheel bearing issue, otherwise yours is only a rare isolated case.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No matter how good it is the QC process, it is not uncommon to have a few out-of-spec components (in your case, wheel bearings) in any large scale automotive production runs.

Unless other members are also reporting widespread wheel bearing issue, otherwise yours is only a rare isolated case.
Thank you Edward, that's reassuring. I hope this won't happen again for life of the car after the fix.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Our 2004 TL had a wheel bearing go out before 1000 miles. It was replaced under warranty, and we never had another one fail while we owned it (sold the car at 75k miles).
Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced

So would you guys recommend that I tow my car to the dealer or drive? I live about 25miles from dealer and mostly all highway.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
i think you'll be fine driving it there
Old 10-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
If it's wheel bearings, you get increased intensity of the noise during turns (usually the direction into the the bad bearing). Yes, bearing should last the "lifetime" (usually around 100k) of the car or more. I always thought Hondas had bad bearings as a feature though, as most of the time I hear the scraping noise, I tell my wife it's probably another Honda, and sure enough, it usually is (mostly Accords).

It's fine to drive the car. At most, you may destroy the knuckle that the bearing is housed in, but I doubt you toss the car around like that. PLENTY of people drive around with worn bearings.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neoshi
If it's wheel bearings, you get increased intensity of the noise during turns (usually the direction into the the bad bearing). Yes, bearing should last the "lifetime" (usually around 100k) of the car or more. I always thought Hondas had bad bearings as a feature though, as most of the time I hear the scraping noise, I tell my wife it's probably another Honda, and sure enough, it usually is (mostly Accords).

It's fine to drive the car. At most, you may destroy the knuckle that the bearing is housed in, but I doubt you toss the car around like that. PLENTY of people drive around with worn bearings.
Thank you! That's good to know.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a dealership in the Atlantic region of Canada. We had a 2016 MDX show up recently with a "roar" in the front. 2 bad bearings. Not even 30K on the vehicle. Safe to drive? Yup, drive to Florida? I doubt it. Both were replaced under warranty without issue. These cases are the exception. Even with a high quality vehicle like the Acuras, sometimes, you have a defective part. Especially when I have seen hundreds of those models with no issue, I know it's an isolated issue.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
demand for wheel alignment after!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jzhu625
demand for wheel alignment after!
My car has been at the dealer since Thursday and still not done! After replacing the wheel bearing, I was told that the speed sensor is also broken. I told them to check the suspension making the popping sound as well. The service tech said the sound is "louder than normal," but won't fix that until speed sensor is replaced. He said the popping sound might be related to the speed sensor!!?? I said what??!! Now I've to wait until Mon. For the parts to come in.

It's unfortunate that I'm experiencing this issue considering I jumped from years of owning European cars to Acura. Not saying European cars are more reliable, because I also have my shares of bad luck with them.

It's my first time owning a Japanese car, I know they're supposed to be realiable, but just not my luck. Maybe I'll try a Lexus next, even though I hate the big "filter feeding" gaping mouth at the front.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't the car made in the US now ?

Anyway if you think Lexus are more reliable, my RX 450h was in the shop for entire month in december of last year. 4 years old and all the injectors had to be replaced. A TSB, basically the engine was knocking so hard it sounded like it was going to explode. Took a month to get the parts, I had a RX350 loaner for a month.. pay a bit more for gas. Its unexpected just like wheel bearing.

I had a 05 tsx that had the bearings went at 110k, had extended warranty so it was covered.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rsutoratosu
Isn't the car made in the US now ?

Anyway if you think Lexus are more reliable, my RX 450h was in the shop for entire month in december of last year. 4 years old and all the injectors had to be replaced. A TSB, basically the engine was knocking so hard it sounded like it was going to explode. Took a month to get the parts, I had a RX350 loaner for a month.. pay a bit more for gas. Its unexpected just like wheel bearing.

I had a 05 tsx that had the bearings went at 110k, had extended warranty so it was covered.
Not that I'm saying Lexus is better, I'm just disappointed with Acura and being a first time owner. In general, I believe I don't have best luck with cars. I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the wheel bearing issues.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My sister's 2010 Corolla had a right rear bearing noise at 3000 mi. I say its no biggie. Disappointing, but no big.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Reinnie
Not that I'm saying Lexus is better, I'm just disappointed with Acura and being a first time owner. In general, I believe I don't have best luck with cars. I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the wheel bearing issues.
No car is perfect but I do think bearings has to do with your location.. mine has tons of pot holes everywhere, i just saw a chunk of my side wall on front tires got riped out, size of a quarter.. you wont be able to see it unless you diy, but they can tell if its bent or out of shape.. most likely pot holes the car may have hit..

if you wanna talk about money pit, my bmw has all sorts of problems.. bmw thinks its smart to use some rubber sleeve for the transmission.. a 18 dollar parts cause my transmission fluid to drain all over my driveway...

no car is perfect, just need to deal with it.. Acuras are fairly easy to fix, not like money pits like bmw and audis
Old 10-28-2021, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone have the part number for the wheel bearing for the rear axle of a 2015 MDX? My wife's MDX needs one and the local indy mechanic says he is having a hard time locating the part. Was going to try Acurapartsforless. Thanks in advance,
Old 11-24-2021, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
look under rear brakes on their online fiche. The part may depend on whether you have a 2-WHD or an Sh-AWD car.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
So would you guys recommend that I tow my car to the dealer or drive? I live about 25miles from dealer and mostly all highway.
You can make it.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:00 PM
Pro

This weekend my 14' MDX started making an "airplane" like sound while driving. I took it in to dealer and was told that I need new wheel bearings. I don't understand how a 2yr old car with 20k. miles need the wheel bearings replaced. I've owned cars for past 30+ years and never had a car where the wheel bearing needs to be replaced. I read that wheel bearing supposed to last the life of the car.

I'm wondering if this is something that's going to happen every ~20k miles with Acura? The dealer won't be able to get the parts in until next Thursday and told me it's perfectly safe to drive the car. Personally I think it's hard to believe that it's "perfectly safe" to drive the car, if that were the case then why replace with new ones? What are your thoughts on this? Can I continue to drive my MDX for the next nine days? The last thing I need is tires coming off the car.

Thanks
Deep stream crossings? Do you trailer a boat and submerge the axles? Do you wash your MDX with a pressure washer?
Old 11-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Pro

My car has been at the dealer since Thursday and still not done! After replacing the wheel bearing, I was told that the speed sensor is also broken. I told them to check the suspension making the popping sound as well. The service tech said the sound is "louder than normal," but won't fix that until speed sensor is replaced. He said the popping sound might be related to the speed sensor!!?? I said what??!! Now I've to wait until Mon. For the parts to come in.

It's unfortunate that I'm experiencing this issue considering I jumped from years of owning European cars to Acura. Not saying European cars are more reliable, because I also have my shares of bad luck with them.

It's my first time owning a Japanese car, I know they're supposed to be realiable, but just not my luck. Maybe I'll try a Lexus next, even though I hate the big "filter feeding" gaping mouth at the front.
That's why you should get a courtesy car. Forces the dealer to be fast. Sounds like they broke the speed sensor.