Hybrid SH-AWD Drive system

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hybrid SH-AWD Drive system

I wonder how the Hybrid will handle in the snow, both accelerating and stability at speed, even with snows? From the description there is no physical connection between the front wheels and the rear. The front is all engine and one electric motor, and the rear is 2 electric motors with very low hp. My current 2012 MDX is a tank with snows in Cleveland winters. On the highway, at speed it is very stable on snow. Same with my
X-Drive 535 M Sport.
The torque vectoring will provide great handling and cornering, but it almost seems like at speed it will be front wheel drive, and not offer the advantages of front to rear power transfer like the regular SH-AWD.

Opinions appreciated, as it is time to trade the 12 MDX.

I also wish that CarPlay , and a update to the audio, 2 screen graphics was done. I wonder how short lived the 17 model will be until the 18 comes out with those upgrades?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
? The name of the car is SH-SHAWD... Why would Acura go backwards and not include their world's famous AWD system!?!?!?!
sounds like you're scaring yourself
Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I haven't seen the technical details yet. It looks like from the driver's perspective, sh-sh-awd and sh-awd will perform with similar results in bad weather and sporty driving. The differences might be:

- less maint with sh-sh-awd because no transfer case fluid change. Might have a very similar maint schedule as a fwd MDX.
- I think the rear electric motors can go +90,000 miles before fluid changes
- not sure of the rear over-drive ratio, could be more than the mechanical system for much more enhanced "sh" on the twisty
- instant tq of electric motors. The 3.0L+7DCT+hybrid drive system might respond like a S/C V-6 or small V-8 at low rpms
- less drivetrain parasitic loss. Old sh-awd required -/+20% hp/tq off the top to drive the mechanical system. Should be much lower with the fwd gas engine+7DCT. The 3 electric motors should give any parasitic loss back and add more hp/tq at lower rpms compared to the 07-13 MDX 3.7L or +2014 MDX 3.5L sh-awd systems.

Possible enhancements:
- I think the RLX sh-sh-awd uses regen braking to charge the battery. This might even be a form of tq vectoring during braking to provide additional stability in the twisty. The old sh-awd system provide zero "sh" when there was no engine power to the mechanical system. You might have full time sh-awd accelerating, driving, on the curves, and braking with the sport hybrid system. I'm not 100% sure if the sh-sh-awd system uses the electric motors, brakes, or both to help enhance the super handling in the curves off the gas pedal.