Strange go cart noise 2014 MDX at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange go cart noise 2014 MDX at speed

I have a later model year 2014 MDX ADV AWD 12k miles. I have just noticed what sounds like a motorcycle next to you on the interstate. But there is no motorcycle. The sound winds down as you decrease speed and up as you increase. I have turned off the ac, no difference. I have put the car in neutral at speed and the noise stays the same. Sounds like it may be coming from the tires???

I am bringing it in tomorrow. Anyone have a similar issue?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Sounds like wheel bearing, try to take corners at higher speed, if sound despairs going left or right, i would say you need wheel bearing.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing or tires that are bad/defective.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Right

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Sounds like wheel bearing, try to take corners at higher speed, if sound despairs going left or right, i would say you need wheel bearing.
On the money. They said wheel bearing left front. Wow, this should not happen after 12K miles. I asked the service consultant if this was a known problem with these mdx's and he said not really... that means yes it is because they usually say no first I have heard of this.

I am also getting the audio system worked on for powering off by itself and not coming back on till I restart the car and dead pixels on the DVD Rear screen.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aces2412
On the money. They said wheel bearing left front. Wow, this should not happen after 12K miles. I asked the service consultant if this was a known problem with these mdx's and he said not really... that means yes it is because they usually say no first I have heard of this.

I am also getting the audio system worked on for powering off by itself and not coming back on till I restart the car and dead pixels on the DVD Rear screen.

Thanks for your help.
out of the hundreds of thousands of wheel bearings that are made for honda/acura, some are bound to be defective. I'm glad that they replaced it and resolved the issue. I wouldn't put too much though in it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Advanced

So 12K+ miles and the following was done.

Replace Front left wheeling bearing. I will be listening to make sure the 3 others don't fail.

Replace the DVD screen for dead pixels

2 recalls (CM) and (tighten nut AC)

They could not determine the issue with the audio system not powering on at times. Also the AC controls would flash and were not operable. I had a video of the audio issue but they still could not fix because it did not happen to them.

B 1 6. Flushed the differentials AWD system. Seems a little soon for this??
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aces2412
So 12K+ miles and the following was done.

Replace Front left wheeling bearing. I will be listening to make sure the 3 others don't fail.

Replace the DVD screen for dead pixels

2 recalls (CM) and (tighten nut AC)

They could not determine the issue with the audio system not powering on at times. Also the AC controls would flash and were not operable. I had a video of the audio issue but they still could not fix because it did not happen to them.

B 1 6. Flushed the differentials AWD system. Seems a little soon for this??
Keep an eye but I doubt anything will happen. Also if the noise persists, you may be missing a body plug from shipping!

The A/C control panel is odd because there's no way to track down what's causing it without reproducing it. With it documented, you shouldn't have to worry about a thing.

The fluids were changed on my MDX before 15K miles as well. Completely normal.