Reading test from iphone

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reading test from iphone

There was a thread that somebody provided instructions on how to pair the iphone with the mdx for it to be able to read text. I used the instructions and it worked. Now that I have updated my ihone to ios 8.0, the mdx can no longer read text. Would appreciate if anyone have instructions on this or can provide a link to that thread.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have same issue to. I blame ios8.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to your post I searched for and found the old thread. The method still works (iPhone 6 iOS 8.1). Here's the text of the old post:

--------
I found a way to get the MDX to pair in such a way to iPhonethat it can read, show and even reply to incoming SMS. J

I hope this helps.

I have pictures for this, but I have no way of attaching them. If anyone wants pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.

· Pair the iPhone per the normal instructions

· While connected to MDX Go into iPhone Bluetoothsetup menu, then find “HandsFreeLink” and click on the blue arrow to the rightof it, this will bring you into the advanced config menu for that connection

· Per the first picture, turn on the “showNotifications” button

· Turn the iPhone off and then on

· When the iPhone is back up proceed

· Then go to the acura phone setup in the menu andgo to the email/sms menu.

o Youwill now be able to enable this.

· While driving if you get an SMS you will get aprompt if you want to read it. Picture 2

· If you select read, it will then read it back.Picture 3

o Itwill not show the message until you are in park. Picture 4

· You can also choose to reply while driving.Picture 5
The following 2 users liked this post by jimblock:
lakings91 (04-18-2016), pkbradbury (02-13-2015)
Old 10-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks so much jimblock for this.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Racer

Ditto
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Racer

Reply does not work for me, unless the car has to be stopped.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced

I followed these steps but still don't receive texts in car screen.

iPhone 6 with newest ios.

It asks me to select account for texts in car. It highlights the iPhone info in car but if I click it it just blinks and nothing happens. Still don't get any texts or emails in car.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimblock's solution worked for me and restored the same text reading function to my iPhone 6/RDX that I previously had on my iPhone 5. i.e: It car reads texts but replies will not send. My dealer blames Apple, not Acura!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I had the Siri eyes free in my 2014 rdx, haven't set anything up in the MDX yet but will definitely do the above.

Another cool feature in IOS8 is "hey siri"
if you go into your siri settings you can flip that on (i think its defaulted off)
and ANYTIME ANYWHERE your phone is plugged in you can just say "hey siri" text my wife, call home find nearest whatever

If you stream from the phone the audio will go through the stereo
Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
iOs software does not allow the car's 6 canned reply messages to pass through it, however it does read and receive any and all messages.

As above, just pair the phone, and once connected on your iPhone, tap the blue (i) beside "HandsFreeLink...Connected" then turn on Show Notifications. On newer models of the MDX/TLX/etc. system as long as you do this before you select "On/Off" for Phone Book synchronization on the car, it will accept and not need the phone to be turned off.

Otherwise, once on, if you ever have issues, just reset the phone Bluetooth and let it re-pair.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it show who the text is from? I find with iPhone 6 on my 2014 that if I get a text from someone NOT in my phonebook their number appears to show me who it came from. If the incoming text is from anyone that IS in my phonebook, the system does not show who sent it.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pcaddict66
Does it show who the text is from? I find with iPhone 6 on my 2014 that if I get a text from someone NOT in my phonebook their number appears to show me who it came from. If the incoming text is from anyone that IS in my phonebook, the system does not show who sent it.
That is the behavior I experience too. If someone is in your address book the phone usually shows a name and I guess the software doesn't know how to deal with that.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by pcaddict66
That's odd. If they're in your Phonebook, unless your phone is malfunctioning, the car screen will show who the message is from. If not in your Phonebook, it will just show phone number.

The only abnormalities I see from time to time are phone software based.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
That's odd. If they're in your Phonebook, unless your phone is malfunctioning, the car screen will show who the message is from. If not in your Phonebook, it will just show phone number.

The only abnormalities I see from time to time are phone software based.
What type of phone do you have? It might be another Apple limitation as I have an iPhone.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have imported my phone book into the MDX and still the incoming Text's do not show the user. This worked just fine in our 2013 RDX and we sure do miss it.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimblock
Thanks to your post I searched for and found the old thread. The method still works (iPhone 6 iOS 8.1). Here's the text of the old post:

--------
I found a way to get the MDX to pair in such a way to iPhonethat it can read, show and even reply to incoming SMS. J

I hope this helps.

I have pictures for this, but I have no way of attaching them. If anyone wants pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.

· Pair the iPhone per the normal instructions

· While connected to MDX Go into iPhone Bluetoothsetup menu, then find “HandsFreeLink” and click on the blue arrow to the rightof it, this will bring you into the advanced config menu for that connection

· Per the first picture, turn on the “showNotifications” button

· Turn the iPhone off and then on

· When the iPhone is back up proceed

· Then go to the acura phone setup in the menu andgo to the email/sms menu.

o Youwill now be able to enable this.

· While driving if you get an SMS you will get aprompt if you want to read it. Picture 2

· If you select read, it will then read it back.Picture 3

o Itwill not show the message until you are in park. Picture 4

· You can also choose to reply while driving.Picture 5
Thank you,
Worked on RDX as well. Still can't reply, but it has option to call back instead. Very useful if there is an emergency