Potential Keyless Entry Breakins

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 PM
lmc
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Potential Keyless Entry Breakins

Over at another forum, there were discussions of MDXs being stolen from Toronto driveways in mysterious fashions.

Turns out that it is possible to gain entry into your MDX with your key inside the house.

Steve Gibson is a famous Security expert and he discusses how breaking into you car without the key is possible in his last week's "Security Now" podcast.

Security Now 508 | TWiT.TV ( Security Now 508 | TWiT.TV )
Go to the timestamp 1:27 . . . be prepared to listen for over 30 minutes and some discussion of radio, speed of light and some PKI security theory.

And here is additional details from Steve's show (https://www.grc.com/sn/SN-508-Notes.pdf Page 5) with very technical and detailed diagrams:

Exploiting “Passive Keyless Entry & Start” (PKES)

In the News:
● In Toronto, since January police have seen a spike in thefts from Toyota and Lexus SUVs parked in owners' driveways with no signs of damage.
● In Los Angeles, a reporter noticed the same problem in his own neighborhood. He watched two teens on bicycles open his locked Prius as it sat on the street in front of his house.
● In Tonawanda, N.Y., people who swore they had locked their car doors returned to their vehicles to find them rummaged through, spare change gone, but otherwise undamaged.
● In Springfield, Mo., a rash of vehicle break-ins had residents wondering how thieves could go through so many cars and leave no damage.
● In Long Beach, Calif., detectives shared a video on YouTube showing break-ins of two SUVs parked in their owner's driveway.

Our own listener, Gary Beals:
● Many of my neighbors are reporting on nextdoor.com that they locked their car doors and came out the next morning to ransacked glove boxes. I of course thought of you and knew you could explain how my neighbors' cars security systems are getting bypassed. So I was pleased to hear that you are way ahead of me and are planning an episode on the topic.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 PM
lmc
Intermediate

And if this freaks you out, consider a Faraday Black Bag to put your keys in. $32 at Amazon, but you'll need one for both sets of keys if they are in the house. (I offer this up a bit in jest . . . )
Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you're telling me the radio frequency is that strong for it to detect a key from in your house? if that's the case. it has better range than the remote start fob most have complained gets poor range. :-p
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Since that info was posted, this is my new fob locker at home..........

Name:  FOB%20LOCKER_zpsoweklffr.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  45.8 KB
Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluepill
Since that info was posted, this is my new fob locker at home..........

Where were you able to find this nice sized container?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 1bythesea
Where were you able to find this nice sized container?

It's been kicking around for awhile. I think it came from an office supply store. A metal index card file box would probably be a good bet.
The following users liked this post:
1bythesea (06-09-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Just received and tested this from Amazon. It is under $10.

I put the key in (make sure to use the "inside" pocket) and when I walked up to the MDX, it would not respond to my touching the door handle.

This could hold multiple keys.

Amazon.com: Ska Direct® Cell Phone Privacy Protection Bag 100% Anti-tracking Anti-spying GPS Rfid Signal Blocker Pouch Case Bag Handset Function Bag - Compatible With: Iphone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 Amazon.com: Ska Direct® Cell Phone Privacy Protection Bag 100% Anti-tracking Anti-spying GPS Rfid Signal Blocker Pouch Case Bag Handset Function Bag - Compatible With: Iphone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
This can be done by amplifying the weak signal from your key inside your house. The best solution is to keep them as far as possible from the cars. The faraday box is a good idea!