MDX trunk lower tray - any all weather tray for that ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
MDX trunk lower tray - any all weather tray for that ?

Anyone found an all weather lower tray.. i figure I can store some stuff in there or prevent leaks.. in case..

MDX lower tray
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I haven't located anything in my searches...and I don't take delivery until tomorrow. However, I have a few suggestions that guys over in the truck world used to use for truck boxes, etc.
- pick up some auto carpet, comes in rolls, I usually get it at O'Reilly's. The stuff is crazy durable and can be trimmed with a utility knife or a good pair of sissors.
- Go to Tractor Supply and find a horse stall mat. It's thick rubber (1/4-3/8" thick) and again can be trimmed with a utility knife.

I'm probably going to do one of the two myself, mainly for vibration/sound reduction once I put some recover gear, tow ball, small hand tools, etc in there this week.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:32 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I could ask a favor, can someone tell me the dimensions of the trunk tray area? I found specs for the cargo areas and seat rows up and down, but not that tray area.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
8th Gear

I wonder if your city has a company doing these kinds of products? You made the wood form. They make the part for you.

My solution was to put all my tow hitch parts in a Craftsman tool bag and then place it in that storage location. Also located there is a small tool kit and our family dog's rear seat cover.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 AM
8th Gear

You could also get some nice hardwood and build yourself a tray. Seal it with poly. Would outlast the car. I would expect that your town has carpenters too if you don't want to make it yourself.

Alternatively: I wonder if the existing tray could be infused with fiberglass resin and hardened like adding starch to fabric? Keep the original in a closet at home if you want to ever go back to the factory solution.

Our 1st gen CR-V came with a big plastic tray. Clearly (to me) made like the bathtub in the video I posted.